Opening Up

The Beauty and the Beast
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Last Chapter Recap:

Donghwa was a village 8 hours from Seoul that was surrounded with a lake, a forest and another slum village called wolf village. Inside the forest stood a big castle that was hidden among the trees, villagers believed that there was something in the forest that was scary and sounded like animal. Park Shin Hye was a senior in Donghwa highschool, she was a nerd that often being bullied because she had a father who, the villagers believed, was crazy. She dreamed to go to school in Seoul, her hometown. Park Sang Myun was Shin Hye's dad, he built and fixed furniture and transported it to the Donghwa castle. An old woman lived there, Kim Hae Sook, who served a master who had a bad temper, very strong and had a bad and strong odor. The master did not like stranger and was always angry if someone enter his house. Park Min Woo was the son of the owner of the only hotel in the village, he befriended with Park Hae Jin who was a reporter who came to Donghwa every two weeks. Min Woo had a crush on Kim Ji Won, the town hottie who sadly was interested in Hae Jin. Hae Jin was the first person in Donghwa who was nice to Shin Hye without prejudice, she developed a crush on him and confessed, but Hae Jin rejected. Unfortunately her schoolmates who often bullied her was around when that happened. Park Shin Hye accepted the job to substitute Kim Hae Sook while she was getting treatment, but the master hated her and treated her badly. Min Woo was jealous of Shin Hye - Hae Jin friendship and bullied her for that. Hae Jin defended Shin Hye but she refused and asked him to stay away from her. Shin Hye ran away from the mansion after a terrifying night and ended up in Wolves Village, she was chased by a few men who recognise her as Park Sang Myun’s daughter. When they were about to attack her, something saved her.

---o0o---

“Min Ho-ya!!!” A man in his late fifties squated down and stretched both of his arms, he was smiling warmly.

“Harabeoji!!” A three year old boy ran excitedly and stumbled into the old man’s hug. 

He lifted the boy and stood up, “Aigoo-ya!! My grandson is so handsome…” he said while swinging the boy. “How was your trip? Are you tired? Where’s your mom and dad?”

The boy nodded cutely and pointed his finger to a couple behind him, “Appa!! Omma!!”

The old man’s smile faded a little, “Gurae! Long time no see Jong Woo-ya. Go inside and rest.” He said nodding his head in the direction of the mansion. 

Min Ho’s dad stare at his father and son, his stern look expressed discomfort. When his wife tugged his arm, he looked away and went inside the big house.

“Aigoo! Master Lee, Welcome…” Younger Nanny Kim scurried from inside the house. “Your room is ready, Sir. I’m sure you are tired from the long drive from Seoul.”

“Hello Nanny Kim, yes I’m tired. This village is not an easy place to reach. I don’t understand why my father refused to stay in Seoul. I moved out from the house, so he should be able to live there comfortably now.” He walked straight to stair.

“Yobo!” Min Ho’s mother eyed Nanny Kim who looked tensed already. “Thank you Nanny Kim, please go back to what you’re doing. I’m sure you’re busy in the kitchen.” She said nicely.

The Lee couple went inside the room, leaving Nanny Kim behind. She looked at the now closed door in concern. The sound of grandpa Lee and his grandson attracted Nanny Kim to peeked through the large window beside the door. She chuckled watching them playing tag in the yard.

“Min Ho-ya, I want to introduce you to someone. Let’s go!” Lee Hwang Eui held his grandson and took him to the front door.

A young woman was standing there, her long black hair was tied neatly on the back, she wore no make up but looked very fresh, her simple long dress exuded elegance. She was a village girl but her beauty is on par with city girl. 

“Min Ho-ya, Insahe! This is Lee Young Ae agashi.” Grandfather held out his free hand and welcomed by the girl.

“Anyeong Min Ho-ya! Call me Young Ae Noonna!” The girl smiled sweetly as she squeezed grandpa’s hand.

“Annyeonghaseyo, Lee Min Ho ibnida!” Little Min Ho bowed politely.

Lee Young Ae pinched Min Ho's cheek gently, “Aigoo! You’re so cute… Let’s have fun together, shall we?” She teased.

“If he should call you Noona, then it means you’re not in a some sort of weird relationships with my dad, right?” The three people looked back and startled to see Lee Jong Woo, Min Ho’s dad was marching from inside the house. “Otherwise how can he call his grandmother, Noona? Min Ho-ya, come on! Let’s play inside” he stared coldly at the girl while instructing Min Ho to held his hand.

Little Min Ho wriggled from his grandfather’s arm and took his dad's hand.

“Lee Jong Woo!!” Lee Hwang Eui bellowed.

“Never going to happen, Father. Now I know why you choose to stay here instead of taking care of your business in Seoul. Up to you if you want to throw away the company that you’ve built and handed over to anybody, but I will never approve of this relationship. And never take my Min Ho with her again.” He threatened as he made way to the door with Min Ho on the side.

—-

Two years later at a luxurious apartment on the 15th floor. The living room was surrounded by large windows that showcased Seoul city view at night time. Little Min Ho was playing alone in the minimalist - high tech living room. 

The door lock chimed, Lee Jong Woo walked in not long after. His jacket in one hand and a suitcase at the other. He was holding a large cellphone that was rarely used at that time. Min Ho’s mother welcomed him and took his jacket and suitcase.

“No just wait for awhile! My Father will soon return to Seoul for the board meeting. I’m very sure this time.” He pleaded.

Min Ho stood up hearing his dad’s voice and instantly ran to him for a hug.

“Min Ho, wait!” His father yelled in annoyance, “Please, Please, just wait for his return before you conduct a meeting.” He paused to listen to the person on the line, “I can’t!! He won’t give me the authorisation to speak on behalf of him.” He almost shouted.

“Min Ho, come here!” His mother called him for a hug.

“Fine, thank you very much! I’m sure that he would be back by one or two weeks, one month at the latest. Okay, I’ll keep you posted.” He said while turning off his phone.

He hung his head while putting his phone on the dining table. He was deep in thoughts when little Min Ho tugged his pants for attention. Min Ho’s dad looked over and took him for a hug but he did not say anything since he was still in a deep thoughts.

“Everything okay?” His wife asked while handing him a glass of water.

“It better be…” He let down his son and leaned to one of the chair. “I hope he goes back to Seoul sooner than a week.”

“How can you be so sure?” Her question was in time with the phone rang. She walked to the phone to pick it up.

“Wait… Wait… Nanny Kim slow down, what happen?” Her panic voice attracted her husband.

Lee Jong Woo stood straight up as his face tensed, he stared at his wife, listening intently due the name of the caller. He heard his wife gasped and turned to him. Her face was pale and tears were forming in both of her eyes. She looked at him sadly.

“Wae Gurae?” He slowly approached her.

“Abeoji… Nanny Kim found him hung himself in his bedroom.” Her voice cracked at every words.

His jaw dropped as he put both hands to the back of his head. He grabbed his own hair tightly as he tried to stay conscious, he fell to the floor as he sobbed mourning for his father. Min Ho and his mother ran to console him.

—-

Spring afternoon 1999 in a very luxurious neighbourhood of Peongchangdong, black sedans were lining up to reach one of the biggest house of the neighbourhood. The passengers then came out of the sedan and into the house, all wearing black.

A family came out of one of the car, a mother, father and their young son. They did not went straight inside as they saw a familiar family coming towards them. The other family also had a son as young as the first one.

“Oh! Prosecutor Kang, you came! I thought you’d be busy with the president trial.” Said the first man.

“No! I have time. What about you CEO Kim. I see the stock price of your company is doing well.” Prosecutor Kang shook the first man hand. “Ha Neul, insahe!” He pushed the back of his son.

“Anyeonghaseyo Ahjussi, have you been well?” The little boy said.

CEO Kim chuckled, “Gurae, how are you Ha Neul. Bum-a, insa…” he looked around for his son that was nowhere to be found, “Haish… he must already be inside. He couldn’t wait to go to Min Ho, he cried all night when he heard about him.” He said as he led the group to come inside the house.

“I feel bad for Lee Jong Woo and Min ho, two years ago they lost the grandfather, now his wife. Augh, my heart ache…” said prosecutor Kang’s wife.

“Yes, yes… they moved in here two years ago, and now she was attacked in her own house!!” CEO Kim’s wife added, “For sure he regret his decision to move back to this house. Who would’ve do such a terrible thing to her, I mean… she’s very sweet!”

Prosecuter Kang’s wife leaned over and whispered, “Yeah, but you know how Lee Jong Woo-si is right? I heard he’s terrible with his employee thus the attack. I heard it’s their own bodyguard!”

“I know… isn’t it ironic, they hired bodyguard due to all of the threat but she ended up killed by the bodyguard that was supposed to protect her.” CEO Kim’s whispered out loud.

“Shh!! Mind your voice, we’re inside already. Don’t let Jong Woo hears you.” CEO Kim snapped, “There he is, let’s go say our condolences.”

They went to pay their respect in front of Min Ho’s mother’s picture. The white flowers filled up the whole wall beautifully, the food and drinks for the deceased were the most expensive yet the family mourner was only one person, Lee Jong Woo.

Kang Ha Neul slipped from their parents and wriggled his way to the kitchen, he scuttled all the way to the service area where he knew he could find his two buddies. Min Ho in his little black suit and Kim Bum who was crying harder than his bestfriend.

“Min Ho-ya! Gwenchana?” Ha Neul frowned, his way of showing that he was concerned, and hugged him.

“Ha Neul-a, I don’t have mother anymore…” Min Ho whimpered.

“I’m so saaadddd…” Kim Bum wailed.

Ha Neul shed a tear but he did not say anything, yet he pulled Min Ho and Kim Bum for a big hug.

“There you are!!” Nanny Kim opened the door from the kitchen, “Your parents are worried sick looking for you!”

“You told them where we are, right Nanny Kim?” Ha Neul asked calmly.

Nanny Kim stared at the young boy, amused. “Of course, they are already gone. I told them that you will stay longer with Min Ho. Here, have some chocolate and candy.” Nanny Kim opened a bag full of sweets.

“Nanny Kim, jjang! Saranghaeyo!” Kim Bum gave her his cutest wink.

“Aniyo, Kim Bum! Your mother said you can’t have any candy!” Ha Neul scolded.

“Gwenchana… my mom is not here.” Kim Bum chirped while putting one into his mouth.

“Kim Bum!” Ha Neul shouted.

“Master Kang…” Nanny Kim gently called to get his attention, she jerked her head in the direction of Min Ho when Ha Neul was looking. “I think just for today we can be bad a little, what do you say Min Ho-ya? You haven’t eaten since this morning, and sweet meat is the best at times like this.” She persuaded.

While holding back his tears, Min Ho grabbed one of the chocolate and put it into his mouth. They were enjoying the sweets quietly when they heard a loud bang and glass broken from the kitchen. The jumped in surprise and darted back to the kitchen where they saw Min Ho’s dad was standing akimbo in front of a server.

“Take off your apron a leave, now! You’re fired! How can the caterer hire a piece of trash like you who doesn’t even know how to serve?” He yelled at the server boy.

“I’m sorry Sir, I need this job, please don’t fire me. My mother is ill and I need the money to pay for the hospital bill.” He begged. “I was a bit distracted just now for thinking about her.”

“Do you think I care? My wife died and I have to go on the business trip this evening. That’s not even a good excuse. You’re just plain stupid. Get out of my sight!!!” He yelled.

The boy dragged his feet to the other side of the kitchen, where the children and Nanny Kim were standing, a middle-aged woman side-hugged to console him. Lee Jong Woo went out of the kitchen, slamming the door behind him. The second he was gone from the kitchen the whisper and murmur of the kitchen staff went louder.

“Gosh, he’s so heartless! He’s really going on a business trip this evening?” Said one lady.

“He was being too much… Kwang Soo only spilled a beverage to one of the guest, it wasn’t even his fault, it was just to crowded in there.” Another lady recalled.

“And he didn’t have to do it himself, I mean Boss can scold him if he needed to.” The first lady exclaimed, “He’s so bad! No wonder they say that every man in this household is cursed.”

“Deh?” The second lady looked intrigued.

“His father’s wife and girlfriend died then took his own life because of her. And now he lost his wife. People say this family’s men are cursed, they lover their women dearly but will end up losing them” The first lady whispered a bit loud, “I felt bad for the ch…”

“Eheeemm!!!” Nanny Kim cleared , intendedly too loud. She was clenching Min Ho’s hand tightly during the whole scene. “Don’t you have work to do!?” She shouted.

The two lady startled and instantly dashed out of the kitchen, leaving Nanny Kim and three boys who were shivering in fear.

---o0o---

The early summer breeze blew, an especially bright moon shone, the sound of leaves rustling and the fresh fragrant of wet soil after a heavy rain aded her senses. All of the sensation that should have soothed anybody yet she laid on the ground with tears streamed from both of her eyes. Her legs throbbing in pain and exhaustion, her heart beat fast as if knowing that it may not beat anymore soon, her whole body went limp in desperation. Her heart fell to her stomach as she heard footsteps getting louder and louder.

A sudden movement from nearest bushes caught her attention. She peered to find out what made the bushes suddenly rustling. Something was behind it, she thought it was some kind of a bear.

“Help me…” Park Shin Hye could only let out a weak hoarse voice.

But the bushes was now calm, there was no sign that it had move before. Shin Hye thought she was just imagining thing. There was no way she would be that lucky, but even if it was a bear, it would not save her from her problem.

“Help me, God!” She whispered in desperation.

Suddenly a man appeared on her line of sight, his face was dirty as if it was not washed for weeks, his facial hair was unkept, his skin was dry and he reeked of alcohol but the worst thing about that man was his stare. An intense stare to her that was full of lust and sheepish smile for thinking that he finally got what he desired.

“Don’t worry, God is here.” His deep voice had Shin Hye’s heart sunk even further as his smile grew wider and his hands started reaching for her.

“Oh no!” Shin Hye raised both of her arms covering her face as if that could protect her from being attacked.

She expected to be lifted or dragged by the man, but nothing happened. She was still on the ground with arms across her face when she felt a gush of wind above her and heard a loud thud a few meters from her followed with a sound of someone groaning in pain.

Shin Hye slowly opened her eyes and sat up, trying to process what had just happened. She was still in one piece, ache was all over her body but she was breathing and decent. For now, that was good enough. She looked around and found out that her surrounding was now quiet but a few meters in front of her, under thick trees, she could see a few men encircled something.

Curiosity got the better of her, she stealthily crawled to the area where they were and observed. She wanted to know what made them to stop from attacking her. She found a rather high bushes and hide behind it, from there she could see clearly what was happening.

The five men from Wolves Village encircled something like a shadow. Due to the darkness, Shin Hye could only guess that it was an animal or someone tall that was wearing dark clothes, or a…

“Cloak? Is that a cloak?” She squinted her eyes in the hopes of seeing things better, “SSeollmma?” She moved further instinctively to find out.

With a loud roar, that shadow charged toward the leader of the peck, grabbed him on the collar and lifted him a few centimetres off the ground. The wolf shouted for help which triggered the other four to come forward.

“Doryeonim?” Shin Hye was familiar with that signature move, her eyes widened realising who the shadow was.

Two of the wolves reached the shadow at the same time, they fumbled and succeed to free their leader from the Beast. But he got up as fast as he fell and grabbed those two men and threw them to the ground. Right in time for the other two to strike punches to him.

The beast blocked their punches and threw some in return and sent them to the ground with a couple of round kicks. Shin Hye observed his whole movement in awe, like watching a superhero movie. She screamed a little when she saw the leader approached the beast from behind with a log and swung it to the Beast’s back.

The Beast fell to the ground letting out a weak roar and defeat movement. Thinking that their opponent had given up, the other four wolves approached him. They let out a relief laughed as they looked each other proudly.

“Not so much after all, hey Jimseung!?” The leader arrogantly sneered, followed with his minions’ laugh.

“Yaaa… the rumor was right. He was strong and… smelly!!” Added another wolf, the laughed turn maniacally.

“Not as strong as us!!” said the leader.

“Ya! Ya! Let’s finish him off right now before he wakes up. We’ve been worried passing through the woods because of him, if he’s gone we can go in and out easier. It would be good for our escape during our act. The villagers don’t know that Jimseung has gone, so they would not dare go to the forest.” one of them said, Shin Hye gasped a little hearing their plan.

The other wolves nodded in agreement, “Yes, and I heard there is a castle inside the forest that he lived in. We can hide there from now on.” Added the other.

There was a sudden silence when all five wolves approached the lifeless beast, “Goodbye, Jimseung!” whispered the leader that act as a trigger for them to start kicking and punching the beast. 

Shin Hye shrieked weakly as she witnessed her saviour being beaten to death, she shook her head several times as if that could save him. 

“No!” She begged in vain as she heard weak grunts coming out of the beast.

In the state of panic, Shin Hye started to look around for anything that could help The Beast. Tears were already streamed on her check as she scrambled her surrounding. She knew she was helpless, fighting is one of th thing that she could not do but she owed The Beast her life, she could not let him die like that and plus, she promised Nanny Kim that she would take care of the young master.

Five men were having a late night sport, their legs kept kicking to the same direction while laughing heartily, enjoying themselves watching their victim in pain. The Beast tried to get up several times but they succeeded in bringing him down again every time. 

Suddenly one of the man collapsed, leaving the other four slack-jawed in confusion. Behind where the man used to stand, Shin Hye was standing with a piece of log that was on fire. She looked amaze that she knocked down a man but belatedly realised that she was in another danger, or four…

“Stay back!!” She swung her fiery log.

To her surprise, they all obliged. Shin Hye squated down and reached for the Beast, shook him a little to wake him up. But he did not seem to move.

“Wake up… Gwenchanayo!!” She scream-whispered, slowly turned desperate when there was no reaction from him.

The four wolves started to laugh again thinking that the Beast was already half-dead. They slowly approached Shin Hye.

“Stay Back! Or I’ll burn all of you!” She shouted while swinging her log, the fire was slowly eating the log and Shin Hye felt its burning her.

“Get Her!” The leader instructed and sent the wolves marching to Shin Hye.

Shin Hye swung the log as best as she could, but it was still aimless. She hit a few succesful punches but most of the time she only punched air. Due to the fire, it was not easy for the wolves to get her but they did not stop. One of the man got hit by Shin Hye and knocked down, but another blocked her attack and managed to get the log out of her hand.

Shin Hye gasped knowing that she was weaponless, she knew she was helpless without any tool so she was about to run again to the campfire to get another log, when she was jumped from behind. Pain slowly aded her entire body as she was on the ground and straddled by a man. He got up and turned Shin Hye around, it was the leader. He smiled in satisfaction as he sat on top of her.

“You two! Finish him off, while I take care of this girl. You can have her once his dead!” He said, calmly but strangely nauseating.

“No! Please No!” She begged.

But the man’s hands had already roamed all over her body, trying to find the end of her blouse and forcefully tucked it out of her skirt. He bent over to Shin He’s face, sniffed her face and neck while laughing in satisfaction. Shin Hye tried to push him and striked a punch but he was fast to catch her hands and put them on top of her head. He was too strong for Shin Hye.

Shin Hye tried to kick him, but it was pointless as he sat firmly on top of her. When her action nerved him, he slapped her twice. Shin Hye felt instant dizziness and thought that she would pass out soon. Her vision went blur, so even though she was disgusted by what he was about to do to her, she had no energy more to fight. She let out another tear from her eye, hoping she would pass out that moment so that she could not feel anything afterwards.

Suddenly she heard a loud roar, and felt a heavy weight lifted from her body. She could breath a little bit though her vision was coming back not soon enough. She finally could sat with both of her arms supporting her body. In the midst of the blurry vision, she saw the Young Master fought all five wolves again.

This time he was fighting two times fiercer, it looked as though he was enraged. Smashing, kicking and throwing people like they were a piece of log. He would roar in between the strike, exactly like a wild beast. The wolves tried to retaliate, even with a piece of broken bottles from somewhere in the ground, they managed to hurt him but somehow it was as though he did not feel it.

After a few more blows and three out of five wolves could not stand up anymore, the other two decided to help their friends and flew out of the fighting ring. They ran passed Shin Hye so she could see clearly that they were hurt very badly, their faces were black and blue, blood all over their body and none of them could walk properly. They were very lustful towards Shin Hye just a few minutes ago, but now they did not even notice her.

Shin Hye looked over to the fighting ring and saw the Beast was limping towards her. The once tall and gallant being was now sized half since he was crouching to  withstand the pain and fatigue. He faltered right in front of Shin Hye, held her face with both of his hands.

“Gwenchanayo?” His hoarse voice was barely understandable.

Shin Hye’s eyes widened, not expecting an affectionate gesture from the Beast. She nodded her head vigorously to make sure that he saw her answer. His hands fell to her shoulder, then to her side arms, he squeezed them to make sure that Shin Hye’s was really in a good condition.

“Dahengida” he whispered as he collapsed to her.

“Doryeonim!! Doryeonim!!” Shin Hye called, “Are you okay? Wake up!!” She shook his body with no success.

—-o0o—-

Hae Jin climbed down the stairs abruptly, he held an over night bag in one hand a bag pack on the other shoulder. He passed the inn keeper who was looking at him in confusion but did not say a word about his departure from the inn mostly because of his conflicted face and she did not want to become nosy about it.

He opened the large door of the inn and bumped the inn keeper’s son. His eyebrows furrowed deeper as he cursed the his timing for leaving. Min Woo's eyes darted back and forth between the door and his favorite hyung.

“Hyung!! Ottiga?” Min Woo exclaimed.

“Home.” Hae Jin kept walking to his car without looking back at Min Woo.

Min Woo became jittery, “But… But… you said we’re going to hang out, go somewhere tomorrow. You haven’t been here for so long.” He tagged alongside Hae Jin.

“Kemanhe… I won’t be coming here for sometime anymore.” Hae Jin took out his car key and opened his SUV.

Min Woo closed the door of the car, his face tensed up, “Wae? Because of what happen in the school?” His tone was getting higher, “Because of Shin Hye??” He shouted angrily.

“Get out of my way.” Hae Jin said coldly.

“Tell me! Are you going to throw me away because of that crazy girl?” Min Who bellowed.

“What’s with you and her?” Hae Jin pushed Min Woo with both of his hands.

Min Woo took several step backward and looked at Hae Jin in awe, his jaw dropped as his hands  raised to his chest where Hae Jin just pushed.

“What did she do wrong that you have to bully her like that? Just because she didn’t say anything to you, doesn’t mean she’s okay!!” Hae Jin yelled while throwing his things to the ground.

“Will you be like this if it were someone else?” Min Woo glared at him.

“Yes, I hate bullies… if I knew you were someone like that, I would’ve never befriended you.” He pointed at Min Woo, “I used to be bullied, I hated myself, I felt worthless… there were times I wanted to kill myself because I thought I was not good enough for this world. That I don’t belong anywhere.” 

Min Woo furrowed as he listened carefully.

“If it weren’t for my aunt and my cousin, I wouldn’t be here today. But he’s…” Hae Jin stammered as he held his tears, “Because of people like you, I lost him… I can’t look you in the eye right now, I can’t stay…” he pivoted to open his car.

“If only you never met her, we wouldn’t be like this. You promised me that you’d mentor me. Now everything is screwed.” Hae Jin could hear Min Woo’s voice. “Just admit that you like her!” He challenged.

Hae Jin stopped and stormed to Min Woo, he grabbed him by the collar in anger, “What’s so wrong about liking her?” He challenged back. “Tell me! Huh?!”

Min Woo could only open and close his mouth without any words spoken. Hae Jin released his grab and pushed him a little. He then walked to his car, picked up his belonging and threw them into the back seat.

“You’re not mad at me for bullying, you’re mad because I bullied HER… because you have feelings for her. Now that she won’t see you again, you’re running away because going here would only reminded you of her. Tell me that’s not true!” Min Woo shouted but got silenced as soon as Hae Jin closed the door.

As he drove his SUV out of the Inn yard, he revisited the conversation he just had with Min Woo. Was he really running away? Would it be hard for him to comeback to Donghwa if Shin Hye would not see him? What about his goals? His real reason for coming to Donghwa in the first place? Was he really giving that up too because of his situation with Shin Hye? Did he really throw all of his ambition for that girl?

His car passed the toll gate and the goodbye banner of the city, he sighed heavily as he felt a pinch in his left chest. He did not know when he would be back or whether he would be back at all. He was in torn at the thought of not seeing her and finished his purpose of coming to Donghwa since a year ago, but going to that vilage at the moment would be too hard right now, he was just too mad at Min Woo and heartbroken with Shin Hye's rejection. He tightened his grip to the wheel as he pressed the gas harder.   

“Biyane, Kyung Soo-ya.” He mumbled as he hit his chest with his fist several times.

---o0o---

The beast winced as he felt pain struck his lower arm, he slowly regained his consciousness as he felt more pain all over his body. He weakly opened his eyes and slowly regain vision. A familiar yet unfamiliar sight welcomed him, it had him squinting in confusion. The ceiling looked like his mansion, but the surrounding was not familiar for him.

Another pain him again, as he winced once more before he peered to the source of his pain. A girl was at the end of his arm, tending his wound, which was the source of the pain. 

“Ack! Appa!!” He sat up and clenched his hurting arm, startling the girl in the process.

“You’re up!?” She smiled in relief, “So..sorry if it hurt. But it needs medication…” she held out cotton buds and ointment in both of her hands.

“Where am I?” The Beast looked around, still clutching his own hand.

“Erm, your house… maybe living room?” Shin Hye scanned around as if she was not sure of her answer. “I have never been in this room, it’s always dark and the dining room is the only room I’ve ever been in in this house, except for the kitchen and service area.”

The Beast came to realise that they were in the room opposite of the dining room, normal family would call it living room, but he never used that room since the first time he came to that mansion.  The room was always left without any lights, so he completely forgot what it looked like.

Like the rest of the house, the room was decorated like in the mideval, with wooden walls and antique furnitures. Large windows covered with golden curtain surrounded the room with a large fireplace in the centre of the largest wall. A main sofa that was as large as king size bed and a three seat sofa beside it, two large arm chair in the opposite, large coffee tables and old rug; were put in the middle of the room yet there were still so much space left. 

He was lying on the main sofa, which was big enough for his tall phisique, fire on the fireplace and lights were all switched on. The room was warm and bright, strangely gave comfort for him. His clothes were almost dry, a large blanket was covering his feet and a hard pillow was supporting his head. Shin Hye sat on the floor tending to his wounds, there were already a number of patches stuck on his legs and arms.

The beast sat up and had a sudden pain on his shoulder, making him roared like a baby tiger.

“Please hold still, I just have to put ointment and bandage to this one. The cut is deeper than the rest, maybe that’s why you felt the pain more. But I don’t think it needs stitches or anything.” Shin Hye chirped when she’s nervous.

After a moment of consideration, The Beast gave his wounded left arm to her. She smiled knowingly as she resumed her work.

“Aaarrrghh!!! Apppaa!!!” he screamed again.

“Hold still!! Or I’ll never finish tending it and you’ll be in pain longer!” Shin Hye shouted in frustration.

“Be gentle!!” He shouted in front of her face.

Shin Hye wagged her hand, “Augh that stink!” She complained.

The Beast jaw dropped, “Excuse me? I just save your life!” He barked pettily 

She got up and stood akimbo, “And I just carried you from the forest to your house, got wood and light the fire, tend most of your wound. I’m wet, in pain and hungry! So if you’re going to be a baby and scream every time I put a bit of ointment to that wound, you can do it yourself then!” She extended her hand to give him the medication.

He looked at her, confused but in awe, he thought she was a timid girl, a pushover or a doormat. He would never thought that she could scold him like that. So he relented and release his arm-hug to her. He saw Shin Hye sat back on the floor, reached for his arms and lowered her face to focus on his wound, but also to cover her own shock for snapping out on him.

“Thank you” The beast heard a soft voice, she lifted her head to look him in the eye, “Thank you for saving my life.” She said earnestly.

The Beast coughed, oddly became nervous. “Likewise, thank you for carrying me back.” He muttered, “Did you really carry me all the way here?” He added in confusion.

“Erm… O!” She hide her face again.

The beast tried to look over his back, he could not see it clearly but it looked very dirty with soil and wet leaves. The dirt and the especially fatigue back told him that he was dragged rather than carried.

“I think this is yours…” He muttered.

Shin Hye saw his hand was holding something, the blue pouch appeared when he opened his fist.

“It is!!!” Shin Hye exclaimed joyfully while grabbing it.

The Beast observed her intently, “What is it?”

Shin Hye took a second to held it in front of her face, grateful for not loosing it. “Nothing! Just an heirloom from my Grandmother.”

“I see, that must be very precious for you…” he stared as Shin Hye put the pouch into her pocket. “Can.. I have it?” he stammered.

“Deh?!” Shin Hye asked.

“Mwo!?” He blurted nervously, “Aniyeo, never mind… forget I asked!” He pouted and slouched to the back rest of the sofa, and winced when the pain struck.

Shin Hye finished putting ointment to the wound and started to wrapped it with a white bandage. For awhile they fell into silent, only the sound of fire flickering in the fireplace was heard all through the room. He observed her as she intently took care of his wound.

“Can I ask you something?” Shin Hye finally broke the silence.

“Mwo?” he said without leaving his sight from the ceilling. 

“Are you JimSeung?” Shin Hye looked up and caught his eyes.

He looked down, “Is that what they call me?” He smirked.

“Yes! Legend has it there is a beast in the forest that often attack people who tried to cross the forest. It was twice as tall as normal human and had a strength like a bear but run as fast as the wolves.” Her tone was so intense that both was immersed with the story.

“Well I’m not that old to be a legend, but yeah!! I kick some people's who are nosy enough to get near of the mansion. I have to protect this place secrecy”

“Why?” Shin Hye asked.

“That’s part of the secret!” He coldly answered

Shin Hye pouted, but relented. “So what is your name? Other than Doryeonim…”

“You just told me, Jim… Seung!”

“No I mean your other na…” she stopped midsentence when realising something. “That’s part of the secret” nodded her head understanding that her question was unnecessary.

“Smart Girl!” He scoffed.

“Why did you save me?” She asked again while putting a pin on the bandage and carefully put his arm comfortably on his lap. “I thought you hate me.” She challenged.

“It doesn't that I don't hate you, I just don' wanna be the cause of someone's death…” he accepted the challenge, “again…” and added a bit of threat.

Shin Hye gulped, not really a bold girl yet. “You fight really well. Are you some kind of secret weapon developed by the government to attack North Korea?”

The Beast frowned, “You believe all those stuff?” he asked, Shin Hye was not sure whether he was being serious or not. “My family had a lot of enemies, so my dad wants me to practice all kinds of martial arts to defend myself.”

“Why don’t you just hire a bodyguard? Looking at your house, I think you’re very well-off.” She said while tidying up the first aid kit.

“Because the bodyguard was one of the few who tried to kill me.” He said calmly, making Shin Hye even more nervous, she paused her tidying activity.

“Can you teach me to fight?” She asked without lifting her head.

“Baha… Baha.. bahhhaaaha!” He let out a sound that was almost like a laugh.

Shin Hye looked up in confusion, “Are you? Laughing?” She tilted her head in confusion.

His laughter instantly turned into cough. “Ani!” He barked.

“But it sounded like a laughter, though!” Shin Hye animatedly tried to convince him.

“Sikkeleoun! Why do you want to learn fighting?” He rubbed his wounded arms, admiring the work that Shin Hye had done with the bandage.

She sighed before answering, “The people in town thinks I’m weird.”

Jimseung scoffed, “I can understand them” he quipped.

“You know, I’m holding a scissor here!” Shin Hye weakly threatened him as she held out a small first-aid-kit scissor, Jimseung pursed his lips. “The kids at school sometimes treated me un-nicely…” she sugar-coated.

Jimseung smile faded, “sometime?” 

Shin Hye put the scissor and closed the box, “many times… often… everyday.” She could not understand herself how she was able to tell many things to him. “They tripped me, threw flour at me and hit me in the face once, it was an accident but it still hurt.” she sounded sad.

Jimseung hung his head, he became strangely quiet.

“I just thought that if I they know that I could fight, they would respect me a bit more… and lay of my back. “ She sniffed

Jimseung stood up suddenly, Shin Hye looked up expectantly, hopeful for his answer.

“It’s late, go to bed” he walked pass her and straight to his room.

Shin Hye sighed in disappointment. She resumed tidying up the room and made way to her room, all along pouted and grumbled in the direction of the Young Master's bedroom. She was already in her room, sitting on her bed when she realised that she had not had any dinner yet and that her own body was covered in mud and blood.

She dragged herself to the bathroom, undressed herself and found out that her condition was not far off than the Beast. But she had no time to complain or put medication on herself, so she just observed her wounds a little bit and stepped into the shower.

“Appa, bogoshipposoyo!” She sniffed, having her dad at times like this would be comforting. She would have someone who takes care of her and told her that she would be fine.

Shin Hye looked at the faucet, already wincing for imagining the pain that would struck her once the water run through her body. After a deep long breath, she shut her eyes tight and turned the water on.

She screamed as she knew that no one would hear her in that big house and in between the water. The scream softened but the sob did not.

Sitting on her bed after the shower, Shin Hye was still sobbing as she put bandage on a few of the wounds that was hurting the most. Then she laid down, completely ignoring the grumbling from her stomach. She had no energy left to prepare for her dinner, so she might as well sleep and have breakfast. Then again, breakfast time was only a few hours away.

She groaned thinking about how she had to wake up and prepare breakfast soon, she wished she could just sleep all day long, had meal on her bed and read books. But that was a luxury that she could not afford, instead she had to work. She had to take care of the bad-tempered young master who acted like a baby and rejected her plea of help just now.

“Tch! He could’ve just said no…” she grumbled remembering the end of their conversation. “Anii! What’s so hard about teaching me a few punches and kicks? It’s not like his busy…” she stared blankly at the ceiling.

Shin Hye revisited the time of the fighting, she got to admit, she was impressed by his power and skill. All of his moves were carefully done and his power is unlike she had ever seen before. No wonder people thought he was a beast, under the cloak and the darkness, it was easy for people to misunderstood that he was not human.

“Waah!! The way he kicked those son-of-es ! Syug!! Syug!! Pa! Pa! Pa!!” Shin Hye air-kicked and air-punched several times trying to imitate Jimseung until she fell asleep.

—-o0o—- 

It was the break of dawn, the mist from the night before was still surrounding the forest. Leaves were damp, soil was wet, birds were slowly start chirping. Passing through the woods were not easy, but she did it anyhow. She could hear herself panting as she walked to a clearing. The sound of people shout and groan were getting clearer followed with leaves rustling and twigs breaking. She stopped at the sight of people fighting, one against five. The five men were surrounding one tall man who were already squatting on the ground. When his opponents started to attack him all at once she let out inaudible scream.

“Don’t worry, God is here!” Suddenly the leader of the wolves jumped in front of her.

Shin Hye gasped as she opened her eyes, her breathing was very heavy and beads of sweat was filling her forehead. She immediately sat up and tried to control her breathing. The sight of Jimseung being defeated and the disgusting man who was about to jump on her really nerved her.

Once she was able to breath better, she faintly heard banging on her door. The sound slowly made all of her senses came back, and that was when she realise the bright sunlight on her window and someone was knocking her door very hard. She jumped out of bed immediately and opened the door.

There stood a very tall man, his black hair was down to his shoulder, it was dry and tangled up. His facial hair was completely covering his mouth but his brown eyes was sharp so even in that state Shin Hye could tell that he was frowning when he saw her.

“Chongsohamnida, Doryeonim! I’m so sorry! I overslept!” Shin Hye bowed several times. “I’ll prepare your breakfast immediately!” She ran towards the kitchen, bumping him on the way.

“Twesso!!” His voice sounded like thunder that stopped Shin Hye’s step immediately, “Go change!” He instructed.

Shin Hye turned around very slowly, not understanding his words. Once she faced him, she was able to really observe the Beast. He was no longer wearing the long dark cloak, instead a long sleeve shirt and a pair of jogging pants was on. A pair of sneakers on his feet and a whistle and stopwatch were dangling in front of his chest. Shin Hye looked at him quizzically.

“Aren’t you going to train?” He snapped her out of her confusion.

Shin Hye face went brighter as she slowly understanding his sentence, “Cheongmall!?” She shrieked in happines.

“Don’t get too excited, you’ll regret once you start the training with me. Suit up! I’ll give you two minutes to be ready in the backyard or this whole training thing is off!” He said while prancing to the kitchen door, “Aish!! Why do I even bother?” His mutter was loud enough for Shin Hye to hear.

Once she was alone, she jumped in happiness and hurriedly ran back to her room to get change.

---

Jimseung was standing alone in the 2 acres backyard of his mansion, he looked around and breathed deeply to savour the freshness of forest air. He was always fond of that castle since he was a child, playing on the backyard with the air as fresh as that morning. But he had not had any reason to be out there this past year. Not in the daylight like today.

A corner of his mouth lifted remembering the scene just now. The girl with brown bedhead as big as bird nest and bogger on one of her eyes stood in front of him with a blank stare. The scared look and extra bow afterwards added the comedic sense. 

He was actually on her door when he heard her screaming in her sleep and immediately barged into the room, he saw her begging for someone to let her go and even calling out of his name. He figured that she was having a nightmare due to the previous night. Then he noticed all the wound that she had, some already had band aid that was put rather haphazardly but most are still left unattended. He turned to his own bandaged arm, neatly bandaged, and in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter