(Un)Like Old Times

The Beauty and the Beast
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Last Chapter Recap:

Donghwa was a village that was surrounded with a lake, a forest and another slum village called wolf village. Inside the forest stood a big castle. An old woman lived there, Kim Hae Sook, who served a master who had a bad temper, very strong and had a bad and strong odor.  Park Shin Hye was a senior in Donghwa highschool, she was a nerd that often being bullied. Her dad was Park Sang Myun, he built and fixed furniture and transported it to the Donghwa castle. Park Min Woo was the boy who often bullied Shin Hye, he befriended with Park Hae Jin, a reporter from Seoul. Min Woo had a crush on Kim Ji Won, the town hottie who sadly was interested in Hae Jin. Shin Hye developed a crush on Hae Jin and confessed, but Hae Jin rejected. Park Shin Hye accepted the job to substitute Kim Hae Sook temporarily, eventhough the master, Jimseung, hated her at first, but through some event befriended her.  Shin Hye noticed that Jimseung can see ghosts as well as she could sense them. They investigate the ghost of his grandfather who committed suicide in that mansion. Hae Jin realised that he actually liked Shin Hye but disappointed when found out that Shin Hye lived in the mansion with Jimseung and appeared friendly. Hae Jin seemed to know Jimseung. Jimseung asked Shin Hye to go with him to the US for study, but because of Hae Jin and her father surgery, Shin Hye cancelled the plan. They went their separate ways. 4 Year slater, Shin Hye was a policewoman part of the violence team in Jong No percent. Although she was the best graduate but she was belittled due to her gender, and small figure. She was now living with Kim Ji Won who was aspiring to be a model. Hae Jin is a well known reporter and still very close with Min Woo, a cameraman, and the ladies. Kang Ha Neul was a prosecutor that often interact with Shin Hye’s precinct. Kim Bum was the owner of modelling agency at which Ji Won was applying to. She hated him because he fooled her into believing that she could be a model when they first met four years ago. Ji Won threw coffee on the day she was auditioning at his company. Lee Min Ho was the heir of Lotte Group that had been abroad for so many years and finally return to Seoul. His first assignment was to make sure that a new mall called “The Rose” was being constructed and opened in timely manner. Shin Hye got a new partner, a bad tempered and jaded but smart Inspector Jung Kyung Ho. Together with their Captain Park Sung Woong, the three of them went to a mansion to meet a witness of suicide case at the construction site of “The Rose”. The witness was Lee Min Ho.

—o0o—

Beads of rain hit the front window of the Mercedes S-class, speeding along the main road of the capital city of South Korea, Seoul. The two men on the front seats were quiet as they drove to one of the most luxurious area in the city.

The back passenger seat was occupied by a man. Though still in late-twenties, the data that he was overviewing from his iPad was a report directed to a Director. A progress report of the construction of a luxurious mall located in the popular business and leisure district of Gangnam.

The mall was designed as the state-of-the-art building with latest technology that would house the most luxurious brands in the world, even the ones that had not launched anywhere else. It would also offer high-end entertainment for couples and family-slash-pet friendly park.

The park would be situated in the center while several mid size buildings would surround the park with narrow alley in between buildings, creating concrete petals that surrounded the pistils park. Hence the name “The Rose”

It was his baby, the thing that he needed to protect the most right now. Made sure that it was ready by the end of the year, so the opening of the Rose could be held on Christmas Eve as planned and the firework party could be held on the new years eve to gain the momentum to compete with the annual town fireworks party.

As his first assignment as the new appointed Director, the job sure gave a lot of pressure. All the tenants had been acquired, a hundred percent occupancy rate even when the construction progress had not reach half way, the opening event had been planned and cost had been partly paid for.

His reputation was on the line, whether in the eye of the public, fellow businessmen and even his own father. He needed to show the public that he was not some privileged son of a tycoon handed a title in a silver spoon; to show fellow businessmen that his family still had a successor and more importantly to show his father that he was worthy of his love.

So he needed to make sure that the opening of The Rose happened on December 24th 2020. Even if it meant doing unscrupulous deed to make sure that anything get in the way of the plan was removed. He used to think that he was malicious, but it was nothing to what he just did.

The face of the man as he cursed him after he handed the pictures, the way it turned into a sob as he knelt down, begging for mercy so that the documents would not go to the hand of his family. He threw a lot of punches to weak kids back in the days, but seeing an adult man wept in front of him was like the punch backfired to his guts instead.

Was he getting weaker?

Was he supposed to get used to this sickening feeling of guilt? Would it someday get easier? Or would he forever drown in this misery just for the sake a of few KR. Won?

Or billions of Won?

“Director” The voice of Secretary Choi snapped him out of his thoughts. He turned away from his window to look ahead, a sign of readiness to hear the Secretary, “Are you alright?”

The question startled him, disappointing him for not being able to conceal his feeling better. “Yes! Why wouldn’t I be?” He tried to mask the shaking voice.

“You look distracted.” The Secretary said in concern, “Your father would’ve been okay if I was the one who…”

“Where is my father right now?” He cut him off.

“He called me before we went back from the meeting, he’s in the Villa but wanted us to tell everybody that he is overseas. He lets us handle the investigation for now.” He said as his phone rang.

Min Ho rolled his eyes, the suicide case was being blown out of proportion. Remembering the spirits that came into his bedroom, he was sure that it was a suicide, it’s been years since he learned how to differentiate them, even without having to communicate verbally with them.

The fact that his Dad practically threw him under the bus did not make any of this better. The only good thing about it was meeting her again. After four years, she was just as, if not more, beautiful. Her confidence radiated even though she merely spoke a few words.

“It’s you father, Sir!” Secretary Choi handed him a cellphone.

He took it out of his hand, heaved a deep sigh before putting it on his ear. “Deh, Abeojji?” He greeted with neutral tone.

“Why would you give Butler Kim a leave? You just got here! You’ll need her to maintain the house!!” His voice boomed over the receiver.

, he forgot about that.

“And why didn’t you tell me that? You may be back in the house, but every decision in that house still has to go through me, even when I’m not in the country?! Until when will she have her leave?”

“Until the investigation over and the chances of her meeting Shin Hye is less than zero percent.” He thought, “I don’t know, I’ll check with her.” was his respond to the Dad.

“God Damn it, I don’t know if I can trust you alone with all of this.” Lee Jong Woo mumbled, whether it was intentionally for Min Ho to hear was unclear.

Min Ho could only swallowed non-existing saliva. His father disapproval wasn’t something new, but it still stung when he openly expressed it.

“Arasso, tomorrow, don’t forget your blind date with the second daughter of Samsung Family.” Lee Jong Woo said, acting as if it was a reminder instead of brand new information.

“Blind date? What blind date? Tomorrow is the meeting with Ha Neul and Kim Bum as you instructed!” He challenged.

“The meeting with Prosecutor Kang and Representative Kim has been pushed back for a week, Sir. You have a blind date tomorrow and the day after tomorrow, next week will be the soonest that your schedules are open simultaneously.” Secretary Choi explained as the car entered the gate of their mansion.

“You heard him, so behave during the blind date tomorrow. Samsung is expanding their business into automotive, so uniting both family during that time would be beneficiary.” Lee Jong Woo explained while Secretary Choi jumped out of the car and opened the door for Min Ho.

He really would like to say no, knowing full well the intention of the so-called blind date. The fact that his father mentioned the girl status instead of her name made it clear that love was never in the agreement. But what choice did he have, it wasn’t like he had other girl to choose from rather than the emotion-less relationship that he was bound to have.

A certain face of a girl suddenly flashed on his mind, but he shook his head removing it from his mind as fast as it appeared.

“I have to go Dad, I just got home. Have fun in Japan.” He said as he slid off the passengers seat and made way to the front door.

“I’ll have fun once the mall is opened.” He complaint, audibly clear on Min Ho’s ear.

“Good Evening Doryeonim.” A middle aged lady substituting Nanny Kim greeted him cheerfully, unfortunately her name was unknown to him. “Would you like to have dinner?”

Min Ho turned to her, ready to answer.

“Sir, the police officers are asking if they can see you for a few questions.” Secretary Choi asked, phone still on his hand.

“Which police officers?” He asked, hoping that one of them was a girl.

“I think without the Captain.” Secretary Choi answered after asking it through the phone.

Min Ho’s face lit up, gone were the hungry stomach. So as he nodded to the Secretary Choi, he rushed to the stairs. He maybe one of the hottest bachelor in South Korea according to Dispatch right now; but even the most handsome man needed a shower before meeting his old crush.

Half an hour later, he stepped out of the shower with towel around his waist. The mirror blurred from the hot steam during his shower, a much needed hot shower to refresh his mind and fatigue from the sleep deprivation this past week.

An exhausted face appeared as he swiped his palm on the surface of the mirror, reflecting the wound and scar on it. He pulled both palms in front of his face and observed it. Contemplating how he should cover it from her, when he heard clacking from outside of the en-suite bathroom.

“Hello! I don’t need dinner, I’ll be down in a minute to see the detectives.” Thinking that it was the substitute butler delivering his dinner.

He resumed getting dressed, an old Harvard long sleeve T-shirt, a sweat pants and a black fingerless glove. He could just say he was going to the training hall should someone questioned his wardrobe choice.

The cluttering continued, alarming him, knowing that the butler would have already be gone the first time he said something.

Stealthily he turned the door knob and opened the door slightly, wide enough to have a clear vision of several parts of his room. The cluttering attracted his attention to his desk, where a man dressed in all black was standing, going through his drawer.

He didn’t seem to carry a weapon, so Min Ho thought that he might be able to tackle the man himself. Which led him to carefully got out of the bathroom to confront the mysterious man.

“Who are you? What are you doing in my room?” Min Ho’s voice startled him.

Looking up, he was using head cover until only his eyes were visible. Slowly he positioned himself away from the desk, stopping in the middle of the seating area in a fighting stance ready to face the owner of the room.

“Who are you? What do you want? How did you get in here?” Min Ho repeated.

Instead of answering, the man launched forward. Sending punches and hooks towards Min Ho, some of them landed on his face but mostly landed on air as Min Ho swiftly dodged the attack.

In the effort to avoid more attack, Min Ho pivoted almost successfully when he stumbled forward until he grabbed the armchair, but the man was quick to send a round kick to his cheek, causing him to fall to the chair before landing on the floor with the chair.

Thinking that he defeated the owner of the room, the man crossed the room to the balcony door, giving a chance to Min Ho to grab his ankle and send him to the floor also.

Min Ho quickly got up and sat on top of the attacker, plunging a punch on his head. A loud growl elicited from the man just before the head went limp. Min Ho took that chance to grab the head cover and pulled it.

But before he succeed in uncovering, he felt a pain in the back of his head when the man's leg kicked him from behind. Min Ho rolled to the floor, trying to ease the pain. Yet another struck of pain sent him back to the floor even before succeeding in getting up.

“That’s for my brother, !” The attacker's voice ruffled behind the mask.

Still crouching on the floor withstanding the pain in his stomach, suddenly the blurry eyesight focused on two dark shadows that slowly appeared behind the attacker, just beside the bed.

“Oh !” Min Ho cursed, knowing that he was about to lose control. “Go away!” He said, not particularly to the human attacker.

The man laughed maniacally, “I was going to do that after doing my business, but seeing how weak you turned out, I think I’m going to have a little bit of fun.”

“I’m warning you, you won’t get out of here alive if you don’t go now.” This time the warning was for the human attacker. “It’s going to get ugly.” He warned, eyes darting left and right as if looking for something.

Where was it? Where did he left it? He hadn’t need it for awhile, but he knew this time he would need it.

The drawer! He needed to go there fast, to get the pouch. Otherwise he would turn into that beast again, and if it happened, he might ended up killing the human attacker instead of chasing the spirit away.

So withstanding the pain from the previous attacks and the body that was starting to convulse due to the fear, Min Ho stood up and wobbled to his desk. His attacker watched him curiously, wondering why he didn’t retaliate this time.

“You are so weird like the rumor!” The man said as he grabbed Min Ho’s shoulder and pulled him before reaching the drawer, spun him around and threw him to his bed, sending the lamp on the nightstand to the ground, where the two dark shadows were hovering.

Everything went blur after that moment, like an out-of-body experience for Min Ho as bits of his fight with the attacker came and went in a hazy vision. All of the surrounding noises were muted leaving only a few parts of the fighting etched on his memory. When there was a sound, it sounded hazy like a sound underwater. It felt like drowning and surfacing over and over.

Him grasping the human attacker, throwing him to the bed. The guy taking out a knife trying to slash it to his stomach, slashing his forehead instead. A loud banging on his locked bedroom door. Him catching the attacker’s wrist and managed to stab him instead.

The guy fell to the floor somewhere in the room, not moving. But it was not of his priority of attention because the two dark male and female spirits, skin as pale as the snow, hollow eyes and black smoke-like shadows surrounding it, hovering closer to him but starting to fade.

The surrounding noise was finally coming back but extreme exhaustion suddenly struck him, all of the energy drained out of his body, sending him crashing on the side of the bed. When he heard the door bursted open, he went limp and closed his eyes, thinking that it was time for him to pass out.

He didn’t know how long he passed out, the next thing he knew his head was on someone lap. The smell of coconut and lavender aded his senses, a soothing fragrant that sent him to the yard of Donghwa Mansion. To the days when he felt the happiest since he could remember.

Realizing to whom the lap he was resting belong to, he tried to look up which was the equivalent of opening a rusty hundred years old metal gate. But he succeed anyway and welcomed by a concerned beauty, looking at him with furrowed brows.

It’s the kind of expression that he would never want to receive from her. A suspicious look that reminded him of all of the bad things he had done. A look that would soon changed into disappointment and God forbid into hatred.

So maybe if he confessed first she would hate him less. That it was all just an accident, that he was just trying to defend himself from the mysterious man. Maybe that way he could still be a man worthy for her, then again, everybody made mistake, right?

His fingerless-glove clad hand raised, even though his brain hadn’t worked properly yet. It was like the hand has a brain of its own. It wanted to test whether her cheek was as soft as the hand remembered.

It was. 

After all this year, her cheek was still soft like four years ago. Like when he held them during their kisses in the mansion. The memory assured him, that he didn’t want to disappoint her, he didn’t want her to hate him.

So he confessed, “I… I killed someone” before passing out again on her lap.

It was well after midnight when he finally could feel his surroundings again. A muffled voices came into his consciousness before his vision came together. The fatigue came after the voice, it felt like he was ran over by a school of cattle. The pain on his forehead came next before he opened his eyes and recognized the ceiling of his room.

“Director, you’re awake? Let me call Doctor Kim.” Secretary Choi’s voice came without having materialized.

The sound of a few steps filled his ears as a number of people were approaching. Min Ho turned to the edge of the bed and found the police officers who were supposed to meet him earlier. The tall lanky man, and the pretty policewoman.

With much effort, Min Ho tried sitting up, yet it was proven harder than getting a dog stands on two feet. A pair of arms grabbed his armpits, hoisting him up and propped him on the headboard. Secretary Choi watched him in concern and only moved away when a slight nod came from his boss.

Min Ho looked around, the room was already much tidier than he remembered. All of the furnitures had been brought to its original spot, his night stand was missing but the wreakage of the lamp were not on the floor, the bed comforter was different than the one in the morning. Probably because there was blood on it.

Blood!

!

“What happened to the guy?” He exclaimed in panic, expecting the worst. “Did he die?”

“No! Rest assure, he ran away through the balcony door. I’m sorry that I couldn’t get him. Apparently he knew this mansion very well.” The policeman said.

The news really did comfort Min Ho a bit, he was expecting the worse the moment he knew he would loose control, especially when he faintly saw him falling to the floor and laid unmoving. It was fortunate that the guy was alive and got away, otherwise he would be in a bigger problem, imagining his Dad’s reaction was a gut wrenching visual.

That reminded him of something, “Secretary Choi, have you contacted my father about all this?”

The man was stunned, he thought that the young Director wouldn’t want his father to know about this, but if he hadn’t, the head of security would already convey the news.

“Yes Sir. I’ll let him know that you’re awake, he would want to…” pulling his phone out of his jacket pocket.

“Don’t!” Min Ho cut him off, startling the Secretary yet again. “Damn it!” He muttered under his breath. “This is a no big deal, let’s not worry him with small things.”

“Being attacked in your house is not really a small thing, Director Lee.” The tall skinny policeman spoke up, his eyes pierced into Min Ho’s but there was a hint of worry in the intense gaze.

“Yeah? Well he have slightly different categories then. Detective Jung, right?” Min Ho smiled weakly as a man came up to him and strapped one of his arm with a sphygmomanometer.

Jung Kyung Ho nodded, his gaze softened appreciating the Director’s acknowledgement. “Well we are sorry that he got away. Are you strong enough to give us your statement, now?”

“I don’t want to press charges, let’s just discuss whatever it was you want to ask before all of this.” Min Ho rested his head while the doctor was checking his pulse.

“Wae-yo?” A female voice rang, it was short but pleasant nonetheless in his ears.

Min Ho turned his head towards the female detective, who was looking back at him curiously. Suddenly he felt his heart beat a little faster but hopefully the doctor would not pick on that, considering he was now using the stethoscope.

He sighed, “I just have too many things on my plate right now. Having one more investigation will take too much of my time. Besides, there’s nothing valuable in my room. Nothing that can’t be replaced.”

“But..” Shin Hye tried to argue.

“Please give it a rest, Detective. This is a private property, so it’s my right whether I want to press charges or not, right?”

Shin Hye was still curiously observed his feature but decided not to argue, she nodded in understanding while throwing a sympathetic look towards him.

“Or are you disappointed that you lost the chance of seeing me again?” Min Ho decided to play a bit.

The sympathetic smiled faded as a scowl formed on her face, eliciting soft chuckle from Min Ho. She was always have a cute angry face just as he remembered.

“Well we have looked around and aside of broken things, I don’t think there was anything missing.” Kyung Ho pulled out a paper covered with a clear plastic bag. “We’ve confirmed that with Secretary Choi.”

Min Ho nodded not really caring if in fact there was something missing in his room, he just wanted to get some sleep already.

“On the contrary, instead of something missing, we think you received something. This was in your drawer, it was slightly opened when we were tidying up your room, so I’m guessing you’re not the one who put this in there” Kyung Ho added as he raised the plastic he was holding and showed it to Min Ho.

Observing the unfamiliar paper, Min Ho’s brows furrowed as his head throbbed. He really needed that sleep. But the guy was right, he never saw that piece of paper with hand scribble on it. It was too far for him to read it clearly, in which showed a several three letters words.

“What is that?”

“We don’t know, we were hoping you would, thus we’ve been staying here for four hours waiting for you to wake up.” Kyung Ho stern voice was starting to intimidate him.

“No, this is the first time I ever saw that paper, and though it’s unclear from here, I don’t think that’s my hand writing.”

“Very well, then. Let me just read the writing here, let’s see if you recognize any one from this list.” Kyung Ho proposed.

Wanting to get everybody to get out, Min Ho just nodded silently, ensure that the list would mean nothing to him. This was just probably some attempt to threat him because of the mall construction, there was nothing new about that and he won’t get intimidated by it.

He had bigger things to worry, a gruesome spirit that had been coming to his room this past weeks. As a matter of fact, there were two of them. They came and gone as they pleased not giving any warning, and the strong emotions really represented on how terrifying they look.

What if they started to follow him to the office? What if they were desperate to communicate with him and the energy got stronger? What if he lost control in front of the public instead of the safety of his room like tonight? Or worse, what if he lost control in front of his father?

It may had a lot less effect on him if it were only one, but the negative energy doubled and he had a hard time controlling his brain when they were around. Just like he used to, before he learned that he can control it, before he accepted that he was not crazy, before he had the willingness to live.

Before her.

He snapped his head at her, startling her in process. They locked gaze for what it feels like a few minutes. The nuts and bolts in his head ran, giving him solution ideas. The thought translated into an intense stare as his mouth quirked up. The gaze was unsettling and sent fire to her spine.

“Director? Did you hear me?” Kyung Ho’s voice snapped him from his train of thoughts.

“Deh!?” Min Ho stared with blank expression as his jaw dropped.

 

“Do you recognised any of these names?” Kyung Ho repeated the question that the Director ignored while ogling at his junior. Raising his voice a little bit, he listed out a bunch of names, pausing on each name in the effort of jotting the man’s memory. “Park Seo Joon. Lee Kang Woo. Jin Ji Won. Noh Ji Hoo. Kim Nam Gil?”

Min Ho shook his head on each name, bringing his attention back to Shin Hye as he raked his brain out on how he would play his plan.

Kyung Ho sighed, having no decent leads yet. “One more, Do Kyung Soo.” He stated.

Which obviously got Min Ho’s attention since his head snapped in the direction of the skinny man so fast that it might get him a backlashed. His eyes widened so big as his breath hitched and suddenly the voices in his surrounding muted once more.

He hadn’t heard of that name for ten years and he never thought he would ever hear it again. He was told that everything was taken care of and he would never have to face that nightmare again. It dawned on him what the list was, the insignificant names Kyung Ho just mentioned began to form faces in his head.

And just like that, he knew that he won’t be getting any of that sleep he craved for earlier.

—o0o—

If donuts were stereotypes for policemen in the US then Kimbab or samgak kimbab would be it for the South Korean policemen. It was efficient, tasty and practical for stake out. Together with a bottle (or two) of banana milk, the stake out session was as fun as a picnic on the park.

Even if the said session had to be spent with a brooding, melancholy man of few words called Inspector Jung Kyung Ho, who even though had said less than five sentences in the last four hours of their time together, but managed to snag three samgak kimbab and two bottle of milk. Brought to you by yours truly.

The fact that he didn’t say thank you didn’t bother her anymore. Not criticizing or telling her to come back to the precinct was enough of a thank you for buying lunch two blocks from where their car currently parked. At one of quiet alley behind a night club in Gangnam.

“So can I ask you a question, Inspector?” Shin Hye dared herself to make some kind of conversation.

Kyung Ho turned to her, expression as flat as ironed cloth.

“How do you know that he’ll be here?” Shin Hye nodded to the direction of a rusty metal door on one of the building.

Instead of answering, Kyung Ho reached for a yellow folder from the back seat and handed to her. As if wanting to test her, he just observed the girl on the passenger seat while her eyes danced around the papers inside the folder, her fingers actively turned the papers inside it page by page until the last one.

“I’ve read these probably 10 times already, the only connection I can come up with is probably his ex-girlfriend, the victim, used to work here.” She explained, eyes still hook on the documents on her lap.

He nodded.

“I don’t see how you could concluded that he would come back here after 2 months missing in action. His house is empty, he broke up with his current girlfriend…” her eyes suddenly widened as she grabbed the first two papers and lined them up with a few in the back ones.

“I’ll be damned.” She mumbled, Kyung Ho’s head tilted, watching her as his flat expression slightly change into somewhat intrigued.

“He supplied those girls for the night club!!” Shin Hye exclaimed, lips stretched as excited smile rose on her pretty face. “He always comes back every 2 months to supply new girls.”

Kyung Ho scoffed but a small smile graced his jaded face as he faced forward, bringing his attention back to the back door of the nightclub.

“But how can you be so sure that he’ll be here today?” Shin Hye asked again whilst tidying up the yellow folder.

“He came from Geumodo Island.”

His voice startling Shin Hye for she never would have expected him to answer her question directly. In the few weeks of working together as partners, the guy would always give her either short and vague answer or only a gesture, leaving her solving the enigma of the supposedly bright Inspector.

“The boat from that Island to the main land is only once a month. And it was yesterday…”

“So he might be coming here to sell the girl right after he arrived!” She couldn’t help but to finish his explanation, “That’s brilliant!” She exclaimed in awe.

Now the faint smile stretched wider on his face, “Well it’s either today or tomorrow.” He turned to her, “Not bad, Lieutenant!”

His praise resonated inside the car making her heart swell. That was the first time they actually had a decent conversation, let alone discussing a case together. She usually just ended up tagging along, observed and listened to whatever he was doing. This was the first time he treated her like a proper detective.

“Hopefully it’s today, so we don’t have to stake out for two days in a row.” He shifted on his seat finding comfortable position.

Shin Hye bit her lip, suppressing her smile. This day turned out to be a good day for her, being able to learn something from her senior and somehow getting a bit of approval. She wouldn’t mind to have another day like today, she’ll even buy more samgak and milk that apparently liked so much by the senior.

“Well, I guess we get our answer.” His voice snapped her from her thoughts, turning her head to his direction, she saw him jerking his chin towards while opening his door. “Let’s go!”

Before registering what happened, Shin Hye followed him with her eyesight in panicked only to realize that the guy they’ve been waiting strode along the alley making way to the metal door, a very young girl timidly followed him.

Her hands immediately d the door for the handle and stumbled several times before succeeding in opening the door. Jogged to catch up to Kyung Ho, Shin Hye tried to be discreet but before she was able to get near, the guy in black shirt and blue jeans noticed them. Sensing that they were cops, he suddenly turned around and dashed.

Kyung Ho instinctively ran after the man, he really didn’t want to stake out for two days in a row. Being in the precinct almost six months, Shin Hye knew the area pretty well so after running after the two men she decided to go to the opposite way, hoping to encircled his runaway path.

Only to meet with a two meters high metal gate, locked from the other side. It was too late to turn around and take the first path, especially when the sound of people’s steps were already so loud at the end of the alley, indicating that they were getting nearer. So she decided to do what she did best; she climbed the metal gate over and hid behind a wall.

When the man turned left to her direction, she launched herself onto him until both of them rolled on the ground. Pain her upper body, before she could get up, the man was already on his feet, jack knife in his hand, pointing to Kyung Ho.

Before the perp was able to gain his full focus, Kyung Ho took the chance, giving a round kick, sending the knife to the ground. The guy gasped in disbelief as he watched the knife slid, it was an opportunity for Kyung Ho to tackle the man.

With two punches he finally relented and stayed on the ground. Still panting, Kyung Ho grabbed and turned him around so his chest was on the ground. While reaching for both of the man’s arm, Kyung Ho peered at the narrow alley where Shin Hye came from.

 

“Did you come from there?” He questioned, expression in disbelief.

Shin Hye stood up, took out a handkerchief from her pocket to pick up the knife from the ground, carefully not getting her fingerprint to the piece of evidence. Her ponytail was messy, hair wildly surrounded her small face, a bit of blood on the corner of her lips, but she shrugged and blew air to get the small hair out of her face before shouting. “Deh, Sunbae!”

Now sitting on that man, Kyung Ho was still trying to catch his breath; running three blocks under the summer sun really was an exhausting job even for an experienced cop. So he just scoffed at her excitement while taking out his phone, calling for back up. He realized how crazy that little girl can be, and for the first time in a while he didn’t mind having this one as his partner.

Kyung Ho’s mind would probably changed after a few hours when they both standing in front of their annoyingly loud Captain. Which today was surprisingly calm yet delivering a very irritating news for the newly blossoming partnership.

“Deh!!!” They shouted in unison, making the the tall Captain flinched in his seat.

“I’m a ten years experienced detective, this job is beyond my qualification!” Kyung Ho exclaimed.

“Captain! How am I supposed to learn on the job if I have to babysit? I did as what you told me to, I tag along Inspector Jung, I do as he told me to, I even contributed in the arrest today…” Shin Hye reasoned.

The desperate sound of a man and woman trying to talk the man out of the news he just conveyed filled the room. They collided until none of what they were saying were clear thus giving the Captain more headaches than when he first got the news from his own Superior.

As much as he hated to admit, these two people were probably ones of the best people he had on his squad. Yes they sometimes brought trouble and gave little care to hierarchies but it was because they were passionate people who had brain. So having to give them additional task and lessen their days in solving cases and making arrest was not something that he would volunteer to do.

Their precinct might be one of the busiest in the capital city, violent crime big or small occurred in that area as often as breakfast, lunch and dinner. They were overwhelmed as it was, and now getting two of the best men out of the squad for several days in a month would mean unachievable target of arrest, which meant his performance would be down and resulting him going home less than before.

His missus would not be happy.

But what can he do, when the instruction came from the freaking head of Police Department himself, the number one man in the organization. Not knowing why he would specifically asked for the female junior lieutenant, but Captain Park Sung Woong was sure, the Head of Police just wanted to punish the Inspector more for humiliating the organization on the national television.

“Kemanhe!!!” He finally shouted, silencing the protest parade of his subordinates. “Look, I’m not happy as you both are. But this instruction is directly coming from above, so unless you want me to be transferred to some village in Jeju, please don’t ask me to change this assignment.”

“!” Kyung Ho plopped himself on the armchair.

“Watch it, Jung!” He warned, his small eyes pierced on the young detective. “Now, I did say that I could not get you off this assignment but, I succeed to add more people in this Taskforce, so you guys won’t be the only one doing it, we’ll take turn, we’ll make schedule so that you can still work on your cases, alone and paired.” He explained.

“Will we be able to come home at all?” Shin Hye sighed as she too sat on the chair.

“Consider you guys are lucky you’re not married!” Sung Woong retorted. “This assignment started immediately, your shift starts tonight Lt. Park. Go report for duty by the end of business here.”

“Deh!?” Shin Hye frowned.

Sung Woong sighed again, “You heard me, pack your belongings, you’ll stay for two nights there before substituted by Insp. Jung for two nights and then 2 other detectives until it was your turn again.”

“Can we asked for an exchanged?” Kyung Ho chimed in.

“Just… deal with that amongst yourself. Remember this is a secret task, you guys are under covering as their bodyguard, nobody in the staff should know that you’re a policeman.”

“But the household staffs know who I am, I talked with them, remember?” Shin Hye said excitedly, hoping it was a way out for her.

“Household staff okay, but they changed all of the bodyguards already. So none of them would know who you are. Give it a rest Park, there’s no way you’re coming out of this.”

Her brow drew closer, “Why?”

“Don’t ask me why, your name was asked specifically. So do me a favor, cut the crap, finish the remaining reports, and go report for duty tonight. I’ll see you in three days.” Sung Woong waved his hand, indicating his finality for both and for them to get out of his room.

Stepping out of the room, Shin Hye immediately headed to her chair only to wonder why her partner headed to the door instead.

“Inspector, aren’t you going to write the report for today?” She only saw his head shaking side to side.

“So who’ll do the report? I will be gone for two days?” This time he shrugged while flicking his wrist, gesturing it to her.

Shin Hye’s jaw dropped, cursing under her breath but walked back to her desk nonetheless. Being the bottom of the pyramid , even when she was supposedly high ranking officer due to being a Police University graduate. But in this precinct, it was experience over degree.

It was actually her job to write the report and there was no one she could complaint too. Luckily she had the skill, so by the time she arrived in front of the large automatic gate, overnight bag on her shoulder, she had already finished three reports of her team mates and the one from the earlier arrest.

Now standing in the study she visited a couple of weeks ago, she wondered about what her Captain said earlier. About her being specifically asked. Was it because she and Kyung Ho were there during the attack? Was it because the bosses know she was snooping around the first time she came here?

The young Director said that he didn’t want to continue with the investigation, he didn’t want to press charges, and hell! He didn’t even want his father to know about the attack. Then why suddenly the over protection of wanting the police squad inside of his bodyguard team?

And what exactly was the assignment? Just to be bodyguard and protect the young Director from potential attacker? Wouldn’t the professional bodyguard be able to do a better job at that? Or was she supposed to actually investigate inside men who wanted to hurt the member of this family?

Shin Hye was still fidgeting with her own thoughts, while looking around at the study that looked quite different without the bright sun light coming from the large window. The dim lighted garden in front of the window gave off a romantic vibe to the luxurious room.

Yet it gave Shin Hye shivers, reminding her the last time she was here she had an episode because a very strong spirits were out of the window. Was that some kind of a coincidence, or would she had the opportunity to meet them again?

She shuddered at the thought, not being able to communicate and only able to feel their emotions were the things she hated the most about her gift. Because it took awhile for her to figure out what they wanted and eventually helped them.

Before that could happen she had to endure many excruciating event for withstanding the pain and pretending that everything was normal. It got more torturous when it occured in public because she never wanted to be viewed as weird.

If only Jimseung was still around, it was easier to understand their needs, solved their problems and moved on. They used to be a great team, and when they were together, her gift didn’t feel burdensome at all. Four years had passed, she often missed him when the excruciating events took a toll on her.

The door of the study bursted open, the owner of the house strode inside, looking tall and handsome with the navy blue three pieces suit and a dark grey tie. He calmly stepped until he was in front of her, hands clad in glove behind his back.

Shin Hye looked up looking straight to his eyes, “He must be as tall as Jimseung” she thought, having a memory posture of how she used to look up when talking to him. “Good evening, Director. Lt. Park Shin Hye, reporting for duty. I’ll be the first one filling for the police-guard for two nights.”

“Two nights? I asked for two weeks or until my attacker is caught.” Min Ho frowned, “Secretary Choi!”

“Yes, two nights for me, Director.” Shin Hye explained as the Secretary came in to the room. “Then other detectives will substitutes me, we’ll rotate until your attacker is caught.”

His frown got deeper as the brown eyes stared angrily at her. The creases on the top of his nose deepened making the perfectly arched eyebrows drawn together in an intimidating yet mesmerizing way. Suddenly got dried for feeling guilty yet knowing that she hadn’t made any mistake; but there was something familiar with that expression.

Turning to his Secretary, his deep voices boomed, filled with dissatisfaction, “That’s not what we discussed!”

“I’m sorry Director, I’ll go check on it.” The black suited man immediately went out of the room, taking out his phone before shutting the door shut.

Shin Hye could hear the Director heaving a deep sigh before turning back to her, still looking very upset like his entire life plan came to ruin. He stepped forward until he was only an arm away.

“So do you know what your assignment is, Lt. Park?” He asked.

Shin Hye stared at the sharp brown eyes, head tilted to be able to do that. Focusing on the area above the nose, receiving his verbal communication with the deep tone, she stammered. “I… uh.. I honestly am not sure. You erm… clearly said that you didn’t want to press charges or even don’t want to know who did that, so…”

“What if I said I just needed protection?” He cut her mid sentence, impatiently.

Her jaw unconsciously dropped, “You, I mean you have better chance having it through bodyguard services. I think you would need police force only if… I mean only if you want to involve law in this.” She cleared nervously.

Min Ho narrowed his eyes, somehow her being flustered bothered him. Was she scared of him? Intimidated by this version of Lee Min Ho? The young, rich, un-self-proclaimed handsome director? Was it possible that she had a crush on him. The mere of that thought made him smirk a little.

Stepping forward to get a good look, his frown got deeper. Shin Hye bent backward avoiding the proximity, eyes still stuck on his. “Is there a reason why you’re so nervous Lt. Park?”

Widened her eyes, the nervous expression faltered almost immediately as she gained her composure. And just like that the confident junior lieutenant of Jong No precinct returned. “No, Sorry, Director. I was just reminded of someone… you felt familiar with someone I knew.” She gazed down.

It was his turn to be flustered, not expecting that answer. Stepping back a few steps and flattened his expression, he noticed his mistake. The brooding and miserable Lee Min Ho must reminded her of Jimseung a lot, since that was the only expression he put on in the span of a year of their friendship.

So in order to hide the fact that he was exactly the person who she reminded of, he must become the opposite of Jimseung. But how? Who should he be? Jimseung was the dark and miserable part of him self but his true-self nonetheless. He had forgotten already how he was before that.

The only other people’s characters he knew were his two best friends, Ha Neul and Kim Bum. Current Ha Neul was jaded and brooding, not much of a difference than his old self; while Bum was as bubbly and happy-go-lucky as he always was.

So Kim Bum it is! How hard was it to pretend to be a cheerful, playboy tycoon? At least one third of it was already in his grasp, right?   

“Gurae? A boyfriend? Your first love?” Min Ho smirked, trying to copy Kim Bum’s teasing smirk.

Shin Hye furrowed, not expecting the change of mood so suddenly. Clearing , she answered, “No definitely not any of them.”

Min Ho’s face fell for a few beat before he let out another teasing smile, “I see, no boyfriend currently then?” Disregarding his effort to disguise his past, the question was actually loaded.

“No, Director.” She answered, short and plain.

“Wow, you must be a favorite in your precinct. I can see all of the other detectives having a hard time working with you as a distraction everyday.” He said, surely that’s how Bum would flirt with girls, right?

Although from the swift of expression of the girl, turning into somewhat of a distaste, he belatedly realized that he might said something offending.

“Deh?!” She asked as if swallowing an underripe lemon.

“I mean, no boyfriend… I’m sure there are a lot of young police officers that would be interested in you. I doubt there’s many policewoman like you out there.” He stuttered, hoping to gain some save.

“No, Director. Nothing like that ever happened to me. Maybe they know I have somethings in my mind.” She was getting irritated with his question.

“Somethings? Or Someone?” He fished, hoping that the answer was not like he thought.

Shin Hye was stunned for a few seconds before shrugging her shoulders, trying to brush the question to stop the topic from continuing. Min Ho’s face fell, the expression and her not denying anything most probably mean one thing. He just needed to dig a bit more to make sure.

“What’s with the mystery, Lt. Park. We’re going to spend time together, am I not allowed to know you better?” He regretted the second the last word came out of his mouth, “Why am I so cringy?” He thought.

“I’m not here to make friends, Director Lee. My assignment is to investigate the attack that happened last week, the one that you said didn’t have to be investigated…” She deadpanned

“Is that what they told you?” Min Ho cut her again.

“Deh! And I’m wondering why you changed your mind? All of the traces would already be gone by now, which makes it harder for us to detect anything.” Her eyes back to his in a silent challenge.

Before he was able to answer, the door opened again and a tall man wearing all black suit strutted in, followed by Secretary Choi. The man stood beside Lee Min Ho as he observed the policewoman, his eyes darted from the top of her head to her heels, like assessing a cattle to be sold.

“What seems to be the problem, Director Lee?” His baritone voice boomed inside the silent room.

“Team Leader Shin! This is Lt. Park of Jong No precinct, she’s here reporting for the police guard duty…” Min Ho started.

“Just like you asked!” He chimed in.

Both Min Ho and Shin Hye widened their eyes at the man’s bluntness. “My father wanted this.” Min Ho corrected, “But he also wanted her to be on duty until the attacker is caught, or until we are sure the similar event won’t occur, or at least two weeks.”

“No, he said he needed the police force to help my team in investigating, although I don’t really know the point of it.” The man said in a monotonous yet disrespecting tone.

“Excuse me, who is this?” Shin Hye asked showing clear irritation for being treated like invisible.

Min Ho cleared his throat, “Lt. Park, this is Team Leader Shin Sung Rok, our head of security.”

“Well, Shin Sung Rok-shi. Whether you like it or not, I and several detectives are assigned by the Head of Police himself for this, whether we like it or not. Believe me, I’d rather be anywhere else than to babysit a young Director…” She bursted

“Babysit?” Min Ho exclaimed, she got some nerved!

“Well, you obviously don’t need anymore bodyguard, and the investigation for the attack is probably useless by now. So all we have to do is to standby for when another attack happened, if that would ever happen. And meanwhile, we just follow you around making sure that nothing happened to you. I’d call that babysit, don’t you?” The other two men could only look at her slack jawed.

After a bit, Shin Sung Rok scoffed, but the end of his lips pulled upward.

“Trust me, you’ll be gone faster than you think.” Min Ho mumbled.

“Look Director, we can only request it but who the Head of PD wanted to assign is out of our control. It’s this or nothing.” Shin Sung Rok said.

Min Ho heaved a deep sigh, looking at the other people in the room back and forth. This was surely not how he planned and being with her only several days per week surely would not help him with his problem. The real reason why he initiated this whole thing in the first place.

“Fine! Let’s just see how it goes and review it later.” He finally said, looking deflated as he turned to head to the door.

“Wait!” Shin Hye called, both men turned to her. “Like I said, the traces of the attacker would already be gone and the crime scene would already be contaminated by now. So I figured that the letter would only be our only lead. Can we go through that now?”

“I… uh…” Min Ho looked at his head of security, trying to get some help to get out of the matter, but the guy clearly didn’t get the message. “Sure, why not? Let’s have a sit.” He turned to the sofa instead.

“Then, I’ll take my leave. Lt. Park, this is my contact number. Call me anytime when you’re in duty, I hope I won’t be seeing you for long.” A white card was in between his fingers. After Shin Hye begrudgingly took it from him, he strutted out of the room.

“Okay, let’s get this over with, what do you want to ask?” Min Ho’s deep voice startled her, reminded her that she needed to sit with him to interrogate.

Taking out her personal notebook and pen, Shin Hye browsed through several pages before reaching to her notes last week. The pages were full of the names listed on the letter left by the attacker.

“Like I said these names are our only lead to your attacker. I need to make sure again that you don’t recognize any name from the list.” She began.

Just as she was about to read the first name, her phone rang. Ignoring it, she read the names off of the list.

“Your phone rang, maybe you should answer it first.” Min Ho was glad for the distraction.

She took out the phone and saw Hae Jin’s name lit up, but decided to ignore and put the phone on the table.

“Your boyfriend?” Min Ho teased, “Oh wait, you said you don’t have any. It’s your someone!”

Shin Hye rolled her eyes and decided to ignore the tease. Just when she was about to mention the last name, her phone lit up again, displaying Park Hae Jin’s name bright and clear.

Min Ho’s eyes involuntarily darted to the phone on the table, his heart dropped to the stomach at the sight of the three letter words that belonged to the caller. Suddenly the room felt colder yet he knew no spirits were around.

It had been four years since he last saw the name. His mind immediately flew back to that winter morning, to the specific name card given by a mysterious yet arrogant guy he had ever encountered. And that was him talking, someone who was crowned as the king of bullies.

And the fact that his arrogance was not uncalled for, since everything he said basically came true. She left with him, and after all these years, she stayed with that man. He got to call her on daily basis, he was on the receiving end of that smile when his name lit up on her phone. He was the one who had her heart.

He guessed Shin Hye really had someone on her mind, which was why no other detectives, police officers or police patrols had any chance with her. Because the fact that nobody made a move on her was socially impossible.

Because look at her! Even in a jeans and a plain checkered shirt, she was more attractive than any girl he had ever seen. Her innocence was still strong in her feature yet this newly found confidence made her much more attractive, not to mention her intelligence and work ethic. Surely she became a Lieutenant at such a young age, not because of her looks.

The fact that the someone was him, the guy calling her, did not rest well on Min Ho.

“Take the call, I’m tired. Let’s discuss this some other time.” He sulked, standing up and headed to the door without waiting for her answer.

She followed him with her eyesight, unable to argue since he was already by the door threshold. “Hae Jin Oppa, are you at the airport already?” She answered cheerfully.

Catching the greeting and knowing that she called the guy “Oppa” were ruining the night he thought would be interesting even more. The fact that he didn’t walked fast enough out of the room had him mentally slapped himself multiple times.

His steps were heavy as he took the stairs and headed to his room, only to realized that Secretary Choi was still behind him. Turning around he contemplated a few moments.

“Cleared out the room beside mine. The police force should stay in that room.” He ordered.

That got a curious look from the Secretary, “Deh!? Are you sure you want to give a special treatment to the police? Wouldn’t the other bodyguard questioned it?”

“I’m sure you and Team leader Shin would think of something.” He tapped the man's arm before entering the room.

Even when getting her heart was impossible at least she could help him solving the other issue. Now that there was no hope for them to rekindle, better to solve the issue sooner than later. Hopefully those spirits couple would show up during her shift, otherwise he would need to rake his brain again to make her stay in that house everyday.

Boyfriend be damned!

—o0o—

The five p.m. sun on a July summer day was still high, scorching in the sky, causing a warm breeze blew past people who were rushing to get to the convenience of an air conditioned surroundings. Unfortunately such thing was unavailable in place like a columbarium, but with the high ceiling and top-to-ceiling half rounded entry passageway, the room managed to stay airy during the hot day.

The Cungah Park Columbarium was a two stories building, inside it were walls of niches with glass door as far as the building went. The walls also served as partition to create sectional rooms inside the building, with large void stretched in the middle of the building, dividing it into two wings.

Bouquets were plastered on some of the rectangle glasses, but in almost all of them, framed pictures and medium sized urns were neatly placed. There weren’t many people inside the building as it was not a popular time to be visiting the deceased.

In one of the smaller room stood two girls, in front of a niche that already had a small bouquet plastered on it. Yet the girl with the high ponytail pasted another one, a bouquet of fresh white roses, on the glass door making a small space that showed the inside of the niche.

A small wooden frame holding a picture of a middle aged woman who still radiated beauty from her youth was showing in between the bouquets. Besied it was another framed picture of a signature family portrait of her, her husband and her middle school daughter. A beige ceramic urn was placed on the back side, and personal belongings such as wedding ring, favorite hair pin were scattered in between the three objects.

The name Lee Il Hwa was on top of the niche, along with several dates showing her birthday and deceased date; January 15th 2010.

Once the bouquet firmly pasted on the glass door, the girl lowered her hand to her side, closed her eyes and bowed her head. She felt a hand clasping hers as she recited a silent pray for her mother. Once the pray concluded, she threw a grateful side eye and smiled at the girl beside her.

“Gomawo, Ji Won-a, for coming with me!” Shin Hye said.

“Aniya! I haven’t been able to visit your mom for months. Luckily this time my schedule is cleared in line with your monthly visitation schedule.” Ji Won’s lips was pulled into a thin line as she smiled sympathetically towards her bestfriend.

Shin Hye sighed, “Busy is good, right? I might not be able to visit next month because of this new assignment.” She rolled her eyes remembering her additional task.

“So! How is it going anyway? Being around the hot, rich, new Director of Lotte Group?” Ji Won raised her eyebrows several times teasingly.

A scowl appeared at Shin Hye’s face as she remembered a few encounters she had with the said Director in the span of a week since she started the task. “I don’t know… There’s something, uncomforting about him.”

“Imo, you’re okay with us talking about boys here, right? After all it’s a candidate for your daughter’s lifetime partner, anyway.” Ji won playfully giggled towards the storage as if talking to the flesh herself.

Shin Hye tugged her elbow to the bestfriend’s ribs, “Mwo! I would never dream of considering him to be the candidate of my life time partner!”

“Why not!?”

“Well!!” Shin Hye was quiet for looking the best way to explain her situation, “For one he called me a distraction in the precinct, he belittled me by insinuating that I’m just a pretty face in the precinct and that all I do is become a burden to the rest of the squad!” She reasoned.

“It means he thinks you’re pretty!” Ji Won’s exclaimed excitedly.

Shin Hye rolled her eyes, “You’re missing the point, he does not appreciate me as a detective. And I hate the way he said it, it really didn’t help my insecurities. I’m not really sure why or maybe I heard it wrong that he specifically asked me for this task; But I swear to God, if he did it to hit on me, I’ll kick his balls until he won’t be able to stand!” She shouted, gaining a frown from a family visiting two rows from them.

Ji Won giggled as the bestfriend held her hand up to say sorry to the family, “You really think he’s that kinda guy? Someone who get the head of PD to assign you this task just to hit on you? Is he that flirtatious or just desperate?”

Shin Hye groaned, “I don’t know. Since my shift I’ve been escorting him on two dates at which both dates he flirted heavily like he truly liked them only to tell his Secretary that he never wants to meet those girl again. It was just rude, I mean if he didn’t like them, he didn’t have to push them away but certainly not giving them false hope just to ghost them. And he doesn’t have the audacity to say it himself, instead he hides behind the convenience of his Secretary”

Ji Won shrugged, “Maybe you’re on to something, maybe he really have a crush on you?”

“Ew! No! I’ve only met him like twice before this assignment and each time either I spaced out or he was unconscious. Also! Have you seen his dates? Gosh, so out of my league! Long legs, big s, small face, expensive eye lashes… and most importantly, rich parents.” Shin Hye said before placing a kiss to her palm and put it on the glass door in front of the picture.

“Yeah, I guess people like him would never consider people like us as their potential spouse.” Ji Won trailed off.

Shin Hye peered at her, there was a slight of sadness flashed in her eyes. “Wae? Are you still thinking about that guy we met at the museum on our field trip in Highschool? Do you think you guys meant to be because you suddenly met him again all this year?”

Ji Won smiled sheepishly, “Nah! I’ve learnt my lesson. He’s probably also a flirtatious who take advantage of girls like me.”

Shin Hye frowned sensing that there was more of the story, but Ji Won waved her hand trying to make light of her situation, “Beside I haven’t even heard the result of my audition in his company. I probably not gonna get it, you know.” And based on the fact of what the guy would do to his model, Ji Won wasn’t sure that she wanted to get in anyhow.

Ji Won eyes glistened as Shin Hye’s hand raised to her shoulder in a comfort embrace. “Hymneja! You’ll get it Ji Won-a. I know you will.” She said.

They both looked at each other before bringing their gaze to the storage, putting their temple together as a support. Heaving a deep sigh, the two girls smiled warmly as they enjoyed each other company in a comforting silence while gazing at the warm smiling face of Lee Il Hwa.

“Now that’s..!” Ji Won shouted suddenly while pointing at the old bouquet, Shin Hye jolted in surprise bumping their temple. “Ow!! is definitely a potential candidate for a life partner.” Ji Won continued while rubbing her freshly bumped temple.

Shin Hye’s brows drawn close, not understanding her remark.

“I’m sure that’s from Hae Jin Oppa before he left for the UK. That guy is crazy about you!” Ji Won continued.

The pink daisies attached on the other side of the storage lid were still somewhat fresh, some of its leafs had wilted but the flowers were still brightly pink thanks to the small tube inside the plastic wrapper holding the flowers and containing the needed fluid. Yes, it was approximately a week old which probably came from Hae Jin before his departure.

The gesture warmed her heart, knowing that he especially made time to visit her mom even if he never actually met her. It was also convenient that the urn of his cousin was also in the same columbarium, but still, he didn’t have to buy flower for her mother.

“He asked me to wait for him until he’s back from the UK.” Shin Hye heaved a deep sigh, gesturing with her head to the exit.

Ji Won’s eyes widened in excitement, “Cheongmall!! Aaww that’s so sweet!” She said as she followed Shin Hye out of the section. The less-than-exciting face of her bestriend had her frowning, “But you’re not gonna do that?”

“I should, shouldn’t I? I mean he’s been very sweet to me, he waited for me for years.” Shin Hye narrowed her eyes, pleading for an enlightenment, “I should just accept his heart when he’s back.” sounding more like a question than assurance.

“Geureom!! Look at him, he’s handsome, he’s smart, he’s kind, he’s going to be a national anchor. A lot of girls in our country would kill to be in your position!” Ji Won hopped like an energizer bunny.

SHin Hye rolled her eyes, “Like you?”

Ji Won laughed heartily as she hooked her arms to her best friend, “I would! 4 years ago! Before I found out what a great friend you are.” She smiled warmly, “Right now, I just want my two closest friends to be happy. Better yet, happy together! So wait for him for six months, accept his love, get married and resign from the squad!”

“Whaaatt!! Are you crazy, I’m not going to resign as a cop!” Shin Hye exclaimed, the idea dreaded her.

Scrunching her nose like they were passing a junkyard, Ji Won asked, “Really? Gosh as a couple of reporter and detective. I don’t see how you’re going to have a normal family.”

“Of course! Being a detective had been my dream since 2010, specifically January 15th.” Shin Hye thumbed waved back to the small room.

Ji Won head bobbed a few times, “Does he know?” Shin Hye frowned asking for elaboration, “About your assignment with Lotte group?” Ji Won added remembering the obsession of their best friends.

“No! And God Forbid never tell him that. I hoped the task force would be dissolved by the time he’s back from the assignment. Something told me, he would not like the idea of me living in that house several days a month.” Shin Hye said as she fished for her wallet, “So are we hitting the club tonight?”

“Of course!! I need a release ten —“ Ji Won’s answer was cut by the loud ring tones coming from her purse. The sound made several visitors turned their heads on them, some even shushed angrily.

They paused as she answered the phone. Her expression changed several times during the conversation; curious, surprise, excited and lastly hysterically answered, “Of course I can come now!!”

Shin Hye frowned realizing that she was just being ditched. But the excited face of her best friend comforted her since it was definitely a good news and Ji Won was not someone who could ditch a Friday nightclub plan unless it was emergency or extra important events, like future-worthy important.

“The K agency just called. I got in!!” Ji Won said excitedly, gone are the intention to reject the offer if she got accepted.

SHin Hye clasped her hands, eyes widened in excitement; “Cheongmall!! Congratulations!! So you have to go now?”

Ji Won scrunched her face regretfully, “I know. I’m sorry, we have planned this for a week.”

Shaking her head, Shin Hye pushed her in the direction of the exit. “This is more important, It’s your long life dream. Go ahead and make me proud!!”

The regretful face immediately turned back to excitement as Ji Won heaved a deep sigh and straightened her clothes as if she was just about to enter an audition. “How do I look? I’m not clothed for a contract signing.” She giggled, her shoulders bounced giddily.

“You look fabulous, a little sweaty!” Shin Hye approached her and sniffed her like K9 squad, “Luckily you still smell wonderful.” They laughed heartily.

They said their goodbye and part ways, since they had to go to different ways to different destination. Shin Hye her heels intending to go to the bus station that would take her home, but suddenly bumped into another person who just came out of the section from her right.

“Biyane-yo!!” She said several times while bowing apologetically knowing that the person was an older lady.

“Shin Hye ya!!” The familiar voice exclaimed.

Shin Hye stood up and smiled warmly once she got a good look of the person. Turning her head to the right to find out the section from where the lady just came out of. A realization hit her.

“Ha Naa Imo, did you just visit your son?” She guessed.

A chilling breeze brushed pass inside one of the sections, a deafening silence fell upon the 4x4 space surrounded by walls of niches that contained the remained of human beings. An eerie atmosphere struck the girl who possessed one more sense than normal people, but knowing where she was, that kind of feeling was a given. It was actually a struck of luck that she never had a horrible episode every time she visited that place.

A boy with glasses stared back at her, looking melancholy in the half smile that he put on. The large kind eyes exuded calmness and intelligence, the same kind of eyes of his mother. The picture beside the individual photos were of him, his mother and another boy in high school uniform.

Shin Hye giggled, attracting Ha Naa’s attention. “Hae Jin Oppa really looked like Pororo.” She pointed to the picture.

Ha Naa turned her attention to the pointed picture and chuckled, “Aah!! He told you about that. He used to hate that big round glasses, but I can’t afford a new one, so he just take it when the kids called him Pororo. You must be special if he told you that.” She nudged the young girl, “Not that it shows right now.” She added teasingly.

Observing the rest of the niche, Shin Hye found a Harry Potter book, an old video game and a few pieces of papers. The name on top of the niche read ‘Do Kyung Soo’.

“Do Kyung Soo,” Shin Hye read, the name was oddly very familiar. She gasped when realizing that it was one of the name on the Director’s list. “Could it be? That would be a too much of a coincidence, right?” She thought.

“Wae?” Ha Naa sensed her curiosity.

She smiled sheepishly, “I just forgot that your son might have different name than you. I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter