[18]

The Constellation of Unclassified Stars

 

 

(xviii. artful and lopsided smiles)

| We are all just stars after all, bounded to those who create and destroy us, all at once |

 

 

"Ten, sit close to me," Seungwan sits propping her chin to her palm as she observes the two bickering cousins in front of her, oblivious or even not caring of the class being filled by colourful students in their bagpacks and chatters slowly. Soojung just demanded him and is holding on to Ten's wrist as he starts shuffling to the back of the room. Seungwan wounds up in the same class as these two cousins. Soojung told her in secret how her father had arranged it to have Ten and Soojung in the same class for three years by showing his problematic records in middle school. It all depens on his behavior, if he is changing or getting worse instead. She told her with a smirk as Ten groaned and pulled out his hair after seeing the school's board. 

He shakes off her hold from his wrist, a look of disapproval stays on his face. "No, I don't want to sit in the front! Seungwan is already sitting behind you-" Seungwan assumes that he is panicking for already breaking the school's regulation of wearing more than a pair of piercings by the ears. With his newly trimmed hair, it is even more difficult to hide it. He keeps brushing and straightening strands of black by the side of his ears to cover it. 

She crosses her arms, looking peeved and slightly riled up by his excuse. "You do remember that you are under my care right?" She emphasizes and raises her voice right in the middle, making him slapping his palm to his eyes. Seungwan chortles. Ten gives a side glance to Seungwan and shakes his head in disapproval. 

"Why are you laughing, Seungwan?" Soojung turns her back to him and while doing so, Ten mouths to Seungwan with a few crazy hand motions and expressions, pointing at his cousin and putting his palm together in a praying stance for her help. "Don't support her, she's nuts!"

Soojung follows her gaze and snaps her head back to her cousin, who has returned to his normal state, awkwardly scratching to his head and slapping his palms together to catch imaginary mosquitos. Hilarious, Ten is a new form of hilarious in her dictionary of intriguing, colourful people.

Soojung narrows her eyes, her left arm lays on Seungwan's table while the other is on her own. "You must be ridiculing me behind my back."

"Am not!"

"Whatever, you're still sitting beside me-"

"Krystal!"

"Just let him be, Soojung," Seungwan joins in, speaking soothingly and making the girl in front of her stares at her, bewildered. "He's only sitting in the back of the room. I think you'd want him to blend with the others first. Since he's pretty new here."

"Do I have to feel betrayed that you, out of all the people here, sides with him?" Soojung puts her hand to the center of her chest dramatically as Ten has nodded along Seungwan's words, a wide smile stretches along the lines of his lips, gripping excitedly to his bagpack.

"It's the truth," Seungwan only blinks her eyes timidly and Soojung sighs, rubbing both temples with her fingers, then she insert her fingers from both hands through the curtains of both sides of her hair and skims through it, skirting and straightening it.

Seungwan thoroughly fancies the way Soojung does that whenever she fixes her hair, taking her time to not miss any tied locks (which is close to none in her case, for Soojung's hair has been proven to be so languid and soft in wide whorls, chances for it to get tangled is so small).

"If you messed up, I'm not backing you up or anything. Now go," she utters half-heartedly, even though she finds Seungwan's words as something she should've thought upon. Ten is a boy, of course he'd want to have more male friends than hanging around her, even though she's supposed to look out and watch for him to not mess up like how his middle school life was all about; a disorganized sceneries of him skipping school hours and pranking teachers. She props her face with her left palm, elbow folded on Seungwan's table while looking down at the white tile floors beneath them.

Then, a flicker of his reckless habit of thanking her shows up right before it happens. "And don't kiss me in the cheek like always. I know you're thankful but people will misunderstand. Just go," as she already feels a warm breathe of air close to her cheek.

Seungwan swears she can almost feel all eyes focus on them.

"You know me so well, Krystal," he pulls back and the attention fades away, his one hundred watt smile with beaming eyes resembling Soojung's are still transparent. 

"Yeah, Chittaphon. Yes, Chittaphon Leechaiyakul," a teasing smile curls up on her plump lips and his expression darkens so fast Seungwan takes a note of it. "Now, we're fair and square."

He rolls his eyes, inserting his hands to the pockets of his trousers. "What a way to ruin it, jeez."

"You're welcome," she grins giddily in pretense, intending to irritate Ten after he had pushed her buttons.

"Uncle must be kidding to think that she is mature," he mumbles quietly and begins walking while Soojung's eyes wonder around the room but Seungwan keeps her eyes on Ten who bends down by her side to tie his loose shoe laces, coming to a sight of the top of his head, where his hair comes out from the center then falls in all the right places to a little bit above the nape of his neck and from her side, she can see that short strands of his hair can only cover one piercing of his. His bangs fall to his forehead, divided in three sunflower petal shaped strands.

"Hm?" he his head to the side and scoots closer to her table while still crouching. 

"Ten, what are you doing?" she peers under the table, curious, hair falling to the side as she holds on to the table for support so she won't fall. She watches in amusement as Ten ties the undone laces of her right shoe, pulling one end to another carefully until a perfect loop is made, tight so it won't get loose again, just so she won't stumble on her steps. All Ten thinks that time is how he can't stand the state of disorder and mess, things not done properly.

This must be the reason why Ten has the most evenly sized knotted tie amongst the people she recognizes. 

He angles his head to look up at her, still crouching and their eyes meet, eyes brightly looking at him, waiting for his answer. Hair hanging in the air, her keeping her awkward posture and Ten settles into resting his elbow to his knee, and props the side of his face to his palm. His eyes are dreamily looking up to her.

"You look unreal, Seungwan," a smile slowly and surely sweeps in and lights his face up. Even though Seungwan doesn't understand what he is saying, the way he is looking at her makes her unsettled and ticklish. 

She shakes her head and retracts back to her position, leaning back to her chair. "I don't understand what you're talking about, but thank you for doing that. Though that was unnecessary, I could do it myself," she smiles softly in gratitude, even though she finds his action to be odd. Boys don't normally do that.

Cracking his jaw, he stands up and dusts his knees. "No big deal, I just...it gets to me, when things look uneven or done unproperly. So yeah, and seems like I just made the right ally here," he holds out his hand for a high five (and she assumes he is speaking of her coaxing Soojung out of her worry) and she responds by doing so. Seungwan finds it all funny since she has to reach out her hand as she is sitting to high five him.

"I'm not taking sides, but okay," she shrugs him casually and a lopsided grin dances to his lips.

"What you didn't understand is that I was showing my appreciation for art. You were looking like a Monet's painting back there," he whispers closely to her right ear after fast stepping close to her, right beside the spaces where her hair parts a little with a tip of her left ear peeking out, before strolling casually to the back of the room.

Seungwan just shakes off her head at his playful remark and tuck the hair covering her ears behind, because after knowing him for the past few weeks, that's something he'd say occasionally; light and carefree praises to make your day and saying it in a completely natural way, unaware that it may harm people who don't get the devilish and playful nature that he owns. This side is better than the first time they all met him, when he was so gruff and sensitive over everything and nothing.

She looks up then sees Soojung talking calmly to someone and she sees dark grey hair and dear eyes looking down at Soojung or that's just her imagination. Seulgi just admonished her for that habit when she helplessly drew the lines by avoiding Seulgi's transparent white skin. Perhaps, she is reading way too deeply into people's expressions that they come out so alive and picturesque in her eyes. Mingyu gazing dearly and fondly down to Soojung like no other girl he has ever looked at, with his hands by the side of her table, must be just him paying attention to her like he does when he speaks to people, to other girls. 

Then a pair of deer eyes catch her attention (like the old times back in the past), radiant and luminescent as if a transparent coverlet of tiny rocks of diamonds are crushed into diamond dusts, laid to his brown-coloured orbs. Seungwan regrets looking at it so much because it's still the same eyes she adores in the past. She had spent the few weeks avoiding those eyes again and again and just when she let her guards down, she finds him locking her gaze. She sees glimpses of his loose tie and unlatched blazer and he still dresses himself in such a half-hearted way like half population of boys in this school she expects them to be, as if being properly dressed is never in his option, as if he just wants to shrug off the fabrics that are caging him, especially that tie. 

She wants to have a reason to look away, feeling the need to disappear as he is looking at her expectantly. For what? There is nothing left for him to mend.

A pair of warm embrace envelops her from her right and she feels buoyant laughters ringing to her ears, a face is buried deep to the dark locks of her hair.

"Seungwan, I miss you so damn much!" Yeri squeals in full and radiant happiness when she turns to look at her smile and sparkly rows of white teeth, long brown hair falling by the side of her heart shaped face, with rouge of heat running to her crinkling eyes. "We're in the same class again!"

Yeri is such a bundle of light that Seungwan busies herself talking and chatting with her about their past holiday, as she plops down to the vacant seat on her right, soaking herself in her undivided attention. She is completely engrossed on Yeri's stories about her holiday to hear Seungcheol sighs for the umpteenth time while gazing at something that is irreparable between the two of them.  

It all falls for his mistake, after all, for giving up so fast in fixing the things that were wrong between the two of them, completely forgetting the fact how he had consulted everything with Mingyu in order to attain her heart, brushing her off so cruelly like she was just a mere word or dot in his book of life. Then, he only began to regret his decision a few months later that he actually really, really likes her. 

Seungcheol has realized of everything too late, that she is more than a mere paragraph in his chapter of youth.

 


Wow. It's been a while. Anyhow, I just want to say that this story and pouring sunlight into fisted palms will be my last stories for chaptered ones since college is going to begin one or two months away from now, and I will no longer have time to be around here. I'm not sure if I will still continue writing, perhaps one shots or some short stories about Wonwoo and Seulgi (I just made a collection for them anyhow named remake the world with me, my dear, but let's see if I will continue writing). Yep, so that's that I guess, this will be the first and the last long chaptered stories. And, those who plagiarize or copy my work or all that , just know that idgaf anymore and be happy, peace out. I'm just gonna do what I want to do.