[17]

The Constellation of Unclassified Stars

 

 
(xvii. his wondrous daylight wonders)

| We are all just stars after all, bounded to those who create and destroy us, all at once |

 

 

Wonwoo learnt in middle school that the sky actually has another name, and that is celestial sphere. The term itself is related to the point of view it is taken, which is from the Earth's surface. From there, the sky is a vast imaginary dome where the sun, stars, planets, and the moon are seen to be travelling. This is what he learnt in school.

Wonwoo also learnt that the sky itself is divided into different regions named constellations. This, is what he learnt by looking it deep into the internet. Over night time, he has always preferred daylight for he dislikes the vast depth of darkness. He can't catch a wink of sleep with his lights out.

He also thinks that this is related to the fact that Soojung had proclaimed over the six hours of moonlight shining through the darkness and scatters of stars across the dark blue firmament that they are hers and only hers and no one will be able to steal them away from her, even when she could barely graze a tip of her finger to one of it.

Soojung had recited her love for the constellation of stars, planets, the moon and everything that occurs in night time that it could be seen that all of them were already hers. Everything that gleams in the dark were Soojung's, and still are.

When he understood her and longed for something alike, he had decided he wanted all things in daylight for himself because he didn't want things other people have. At least, things people hadn't proclaimed in front of his face. 

Wonwoo declared all the things in daylight as his own three years ago; the sun, the white clouds, the chirping sound of birds, the changing coloured skies to different shades of purple, blue, orange and yellow and everything that is in between. All of them are his.

Even though that's not the truth, but it's his truth that matters only for himself, and that's what matters the most. At least, to him.

Then he came face to face with Seulgi who had changed into five different shades of darkness and murky clouds. He literally could see thunderclouds above her head and this is one of his rare sides to be shown. He rarely see things in an imaginative way but Seulgi pulled the buried fantasy out of him.

Seulgi is a changed person and he doesn't know what to do. He has been doing all the things in his old ways of bothering her (with less violence of course) and she has been responding like in the past, and the violence are still there, evolved to grow homes in her tongur.

More importantly, he keeps doing this after knowing Seulgi had gone through the torture from the drills of ink of a tattoo parlour resulting that beauty of a wound spread across her back down to her-he's not sure down to where, but it looks like it can stretch down to the end of her back down to he-let's just stop, before his thoughts gone berserk, switching into a erse direction. 

Not that he's a hormonal sixteen years old boy who's got stacks of stash magazine under his mattress, no. He's not like that, and this is the truth he knows of himself. Wonwoo knows himself well most out of everyone around him. He doesn't pay attention to girls that much, but when he does, he keeps his eyes latched and trained along them. Not them, her. He is never the guy who likes a number of girls all at the same time.

Sometimes, he lets his eyes roam loosely, sometimes not. Seokmin caught him nonetheless, and just like what he said, not everything is as simple as it is. Especially between him and Seulgi. Super and more importantly, between him and Seulgi.

She is making him feel strange things inside of his stomach, like furnitures falling and crumbling in an old house of his body, and his heart and everything inside his body and mind he feels dizzy from it, even though he covers it well. So, so well he can let her touch him and not flinch from it. 

"Let me borrow your lap for a while."

"Let me borrow your shoulders for a while," Wonwoo obliges everytime and she can ask him everything she wants and he will move for her without a thought. Except that he won't be that much of a help since she is a girl of the wilderness and when Wonwoo flinched through thunderclaps, Seulgi buried the voice and slept through it. On his shoulders also, just a week before this. He slapped his palm to his forehead as he saw Seokmin's huge grin, Seungwan's wondrous eyes and Ten popping his bubblegum at him.

"Is she an owl or something? She sleeps a lot in daylight," Ten, popping and half-smirking to Wonwoo.

"Who knows what kind of things keeping Seulgi up all night," Seungwan, eyes astonished, gleaming yet worry lined on her forehead.

"We'll never know," Seokmin, scratching his hair and stretching his arms awake with a slight wiggle of his eyebrows.

This is a karma for being an to her in the past, in all honesty. But perhaps because he sympathizes with her. That sounds more a lot logical.

She may seem stronger on the outside than in the past (she probably can tackle him and he'd fall, he doesn't fight people as much as he used to. His permanent opponent and punching bag back then was Seulgi. Seulgi as his punching bag, yeah, that's how much of a prick he was indeed and he admits that) but as a keen observer that he is, there is something off going inside her. Like, something had been made terribly wrong in the process of her growing up. 

Her laughters are always too raucous and her breathing into those cig sticks too deeply (he thought she was just being swept along the stream of teens being rebellious) and some moments her smiles are too reckless, lazy and forced and sometimes she just stared off into empty spaces like a lost ghost. It's a roller coaster watching Seulgi changes from one individual to another.

But as himself said, everything is not as simple as it seems. The strings of his heart began to be strummed towards her way when she broke down before Soojung. He thought it was actually pretty cool that Seulgi has a tattoo at such a young age, but looking at her deadpanned and empty gaze, it must be made all for the wrong reasons.

He believes that he will never understand what Seulgi went through, because he has never gone through it. He can live with that as long as Seulgi doesn't know. As long as she doesn't realise that. 

"You're too obvious," Seokmin whispers to his ear and he snaps back after dozing from the principal's speech in their new high school's hall. In his line of gaze is Seulgi, sitting facing the front two seats in the front right of his seat. He can tell because her hair is in a ponytail and he can see that birthmark beneath her right ear, in the shape of a heart. With this glasses, everything becomes clearer and more vivid.

"Bloody hell," he grits through his teeth, loosening the tie around his collar by bit as the heat is starting to get into him, being forced to have himself wrapped in the said blazer. "Get over your delusions, Seokmin. I'm starting to get pissed off now," his eyes turn into slits at the bright boy in his right, and he only shrugs it away. 

Seokmin has been testing his patience over the weeks. Especially that time they were near the sycamore tree (they found themselves in that place even if Soojung wasn't around somehow) and they had that game of playing "Who would you save if A or B drown?"

"Seulgi, if you are to choose one person to save in a catastrophe between Wonwoo and Soojung, who would you save?"

This would sting a little, he thought. He felt like pounding Seokmin in the arm, her answer would be so obvi-

"What kind of catastrophe?" She took this seriously, looking from her golden tresses of a hair after playing with blades of grass beneath her, taking them all and clutched it into a fist and plucked them out.

"A tsunami-"

"Nobody can survive a tsunami, Seokmin," she laughed as if blown out of her wits, only Seokmin could make her laugh that way, that free and casual, off-her-guard way. She never really laughs around him, all the emotions are pretty much of sarcasm, salts, petty bickerings and anger.

She's slowly opening himself up to him and he has realised and smiles to himself at the thought, on certain nights he can't fall asleep even with those old posters of villains, video game heroes staring back at him, then he presses that flashback button on his head. Only that it will be erased soon when he realizes that smile unconsciously hanging on there.

When he was in the city, he learnt that boys only hit girls in a playful way and not in any way he did to Seulgi, and if they are said to hit girls, it would be that they'd drop certain hints to the girls that they liked.

In middle school, things began to change for him. For the better, a distinct contrast to how Seulgi's middle school life was said to be. He had asked his uncle about Seulgi's condition in 8th grade, but his uncle said he lost contact with them.

Odd. Or not, because if indeed what Seulgi said is true, then he was protecting Seulgi's father and she becomes one of the most unfortunate girls in the world. He has already thought that far.

He begins to start caring for her after all. And for all the things she had gone through, she deserves it.

"Nothing is impossible, you know."

She pursed her lips, then ran her hand across the moist and dewy grass, laying on her stomach. "I'd save Wonwoo."

He ignored that few yet loud thumpings inside of his heart, because this didn't make any sense. "Are you saying it because Soojung isn't h-"

She turned to look up and gaze at him on her right, expression calm and collected and honest, propping her chin to the heel of her right palm. "You can't swim, but Soojung can. That's such an obvious answer," he didn't know that Seulgi would still remember such details that were buried in the past. She cares a speck of him, after all.

"If Soojung can't-"

"I'll try to save as many people as I can. I don't want to pick, seriously," and they moved on to another topic after that, with Seokmin winking at Wonwoo when Seulgi laid her body full to the ground and he just stared at him strangely so he wouldn't confirm his suspicion.

"Savouring the sight that you get, huh?" Comes the voice from his left and it's not Ten because he sits beside Soojung in front of him and it's actually Jisoo. Must be his elementary school friend he isn't aware of or forgotten, for he was said to be Seulgi's track team mate. His eyes fleet to Seulgi before looking back at him. "Changed so much isn't she?" He an eyebrow at him and Wonwoo's reminded by Seulgi's words. Him and his black hair in a crew cut and his properly adjusted tie and blazer resting on his figure with no break of sweat appearing even near his temples. 

"There is no such a sight to be seen. Jisoo, right?" He stretches out his hand for a handshake, and Jisoo takes it gladly, smiling amiably and Wonwoo smiles tightly. He doesn't like this guy already.

"Yeah, you're Mingyu's old pal, right?" 

Wonwoo's eyes twitch from this but he's fast enough to retract his hand back and turn to the front, have it all covered. "Seems so."

He wonders why Mingyu isn't with him. 

"If you're wondering where is Mingyu, he's running into something. We actually saved some spot for him," as if he's reading his mind, he answers this all calmly, already leaning back to the chair, crossed arms and straight eyes to the front. 

"And yes, it's all in your face. That's why I figure it out," giving a side glance to him, his lips curve into an imperceptible smile that soon disappears and his face turns into a contemplative one. The latter seem to have this air of threat he attempts to put up. It doesn't work on him.

"We?" Ignorance is always the best weapon for people who throw assumptions like this. Even though it's truth, he can't let him acknowledge the fact that he knows the insides of his head (in a metaphorical way).

"Oh yes. I forgot, this is Hansol," a Caucasian looking lad leans into his knees and nods a 'Sup,' to Wonwoo with a slight upturn of of his lips and a crack view to his teeth and gum, eyes looking hazily at him. "And here is Seungcheol," there is an empty space between Hansol and Seungcheol and this assumed Seungcheol guy seems to be in a daze or something. 

No, Wonwoo knows how a daze looks like. This lad is sitting straight and his head is a little bit tilted to glance at something. Someone. He follows his eyes fast (Wonwoo is so good at observing people these years it's one of the things he's proud of besides his grades). This is more like boring lasers until the person's head can be covered in holes, so long and so deep Wonwoo forces himself to look away before anyone can catch him red handed. He may be imagining things, but it lands to Seungwan's long, black straight tresses, tumbling down her back softly. 

So many puzzles to collect for these questions that formed inside of his head after Seulgi's accusations of them. He had confronted Seokmin about it, and he refused to go in details. It seemed that way. Or perhaps, he was just waiting for the right time since Ten was there.

Mingyu is currently out of the option now since he still doesn't know how drastic he actually changed and any trust between them is already lost, by the way. Seungwan doesn't seem to be stable enough for his questions about this so-called clique, seeing her reaction Seulgi mentioned when they came across them.

Hansol guy tapped his shoulder and he quickly pulls his strips of consciousness back into this hall, and turns to him. "Seungcheol, remember Wonwoo right?"

Aren't they supposed to be listening to this boring principal going on and on about this school's visions and missions for their students to reach? Bull. Teens never listen to adults, after all.

They are seemingly to be out of the radar. Their voices are low enough to be heard between each other. Seungcheol looks up to the circle lens spectacled Wonwoo and grins, popping in dents of dimples to both sides of his cheeks, sweeping his black hair off his forehead. "Nice to meet you," he mouths to him, and this guy seems okay. Too fast to judge, but better than this Jisoo guy who acts in arrogance as if he's the most keen and observant profiler on Earth.

He uses the word profiler because in most detective films, profilers are the ones who identify the suspect's behaviour and this guy acts like one. He seems to be. Or it's just Wonwoo overanalyzing things. Both can be the answer.

Hundreds of claps suddenly echo throughout the hall and Wonwoo claps for a few times before putting his hands down. Missing one or two palms of hands clapping won't drown out the false praise, after all. 

"All of you may leave to your designated classes. The list of names based on their classes are already put up in the school board outside of this hall, for those who haven't looked it up. The class will start in ten minutes. Thank you," groans of complaints already reverberate throughout the sweaty students from the lack amount of air conditioner or perhaps anxiety of facing a first day in a completely new high school with new friends and enemies to make. 

Seulgi is the first to get up, her bag slung to one shoulder while rubbing her forehead with the back of her hand, amongst the still seated students who wave paper fans to their faces or electrical mini ones with adorable chains, followed by Seungwan, limping Soojung and Ten. He remembers that Soojung is still not fully healed. They better get out of this place fast for that.

For a moment, his eyes detect the Siberian cold and harsh way Seulgi drags her eyes through the lads beside him.

"Geez, I didn't remember pushing Seulgi off her temper to make her look at me like that," Jisoo mentions, seemingly recovering after being stared dead in the eye by her. 

"She's always like that," Wonwoo utters, turning to look at Seokmin who leans back to his seat and watch with a smile. He's enjoying this sight, obviously.

"She wasn't like that."

"I know," Wonwoo nods, then fiddles with the rubber band on his wrist. 

"Your friend, Soojung? Already healed there?"

"Almost, she's on a speedy recovery," getting up and feeling like getting out of this suffocating place of noises, Wonwoo bids them goodbye while excusing himself (automatically, Seokmin behind him) to go pass them. "Catch you up later, gotta go first-"

"Okay, hope you'll meet Mingyu on your way!" He beams, eyes turning into crescent moons and this guy seriously is under Wonwoo's radar. Not only for the fact he suddenly popped out a question about Seulgi, but for the fact this guy must be watching him the whole time. He loathes the idea of people trying to unbuckle him when he's unaware of it. 

When they are out, catching up slowly behind the other four as stream of students's footsteps trudge on behind him, Seokmin finally utters something. 

"What do you think?" He's holding the straps of his bag, eyes turned forward. This must be a reference to their halted conversation.

"Okay, that guy in a crew cut-Jisoo-is putting on airs. I can tell-" for this one, he can trust Seokmin. Because he knows that despite those playful approach, Seokmin in some ways is like him. "That's as far as I can see. Too short of a time to tell."

"Take your time, man. We have three years here," they arrive in front of the board and with another glance to each other, their conversation is paused for another time.

Seulgi will hate him for sure if he gets the chance to be close with these people. However, Seulgi's thoughts are affected by her bad experience in the past. It had stained her sense of judgement based on stereotypes. So that's why, he will closely monitor these people. For there are chances they already try to their personalities without their awareness; The Cosmic Children.