Final Chapter - Epilogue

My 100 Days With You

I found this journal while unpacking hyung and noona's stuff that was kept in the store room for years. My first reaction was - should I feel happy? Or should I throw away the one thing that reminds me of the gloomy past? For almost an hour I sat on the floor thinking. There must be a reason for these memories to come back and haunt me when I have moved on with my life. Perhaps.. this story needs an ending, and I happened to be the only one who can do it - for them.

 

Noona wanted to save her memory of the wedding in her writing, so I'm going to continue her story from that day. I saw how happy she was in her stunning white dress, with a smile brighter than what I've seen before. Hyung on the other hand, looking extremely handsome in his tuxedo that he bought in a very last minute. I can't deny that they really looked good on each other, just like a match made in heaven. I remember feeling ashamed of myself for having a crush on noona, when all I am to her is nothing more than her dongsaeng. She did mentioned that in the previous chapter, didn't she?

 

As the wedding was held in a rush, only few were able to attend within the short notice. If I'm not mistaken, it was less than fifteen who turned up. Still, we welcomed the guests with a smile. As noona said to me (when I met her in the dressing room), the most important thing is for them to have the wedding as planned, so she doesn't mind the small crowd for their big day. I almost cried as I stared into her hopeful eyes, knowing how much she has suffered just to live her own fairy tale. She deserved to be happy, at least on her final day.

 

I went to check on hyung after talking to noona, and saw him standing at a corner all by himself with a worried face. I can tell he was nervous, because he didn't hear when I called out to him. It was my first time seeing hyung in that state, so I couldn't help from laughing at my own brother. Who knew that a muscular man like him can have such fear in his eyes? But that's Jong Kook hyung. When it comes to the one he loves, he always 'think too much' about the outcome and forgot to 'have fun' on his wedding day. As his only family, I tried to console the husband-to-be by wishing him the best of luck and teasing him with jokes about life after marriage, which seemed to reduce his anxiety with every good laugh.

 

Then, the announcement was made. I gave hyung a big hug and a pat on the back before he headed for the altar, and we almost shed tears from our men's eyes out of pure happiness. I took my spot next to Jong Kook hyung as we waited for the bride to walk down the aisle, and I swear my heart was beating fast (just like my brother) the moment we heard the wedding entrance song i.e. "Here Comes The Bride". I couldn't believe how beautiful noona is as she walked on the red carpet, and for a second I thought it was me who's getting married. Not that I'm still hoping for her to be mine, but I think any man will share the same thought if he's in my shoes, won't he?

 

I'm not sure if hyung noticed that my eyes were locked on his bride most of the time, but I guess he was too focus at the altar to realize what was happening around him. It was such a great feeling to watch my two favourite people reunited as husband-and-wife, which caused my 'manly tears' to fall freely from my eyes when both of them exchanged vows in front of everyone. It was obvious that these two were madly, deeply and crazily in love with each other, and I thanked God for allowing hyung and noona to live in that moment. 

 

As a wedding gift, I wrote a song for Jong Kook hyung to sing for his bride - it's called "Today More Than Yesterday". Noona was extremely happy with the surprise that we prepared on that day, and I think that was her first time listening to hyung's singing voice (took me seven hours to 'turn' a doctor into a singer!). We finished the performance with a slow dance by the newly wedded couple with me as the pianist, and the crowd gave them a standing ovation when the two locked their lips together at the end of the song. But their happiness didn't last.

 

Out of the blue, a man came in and yelled furiously at hyung who spontaneously shielded his wife with his body. The crowd went panicking when the strange man pointed a pistol at my brother, and in that chaos hyung asked me to take noona to safety away from the danger. Without asking much I obeyed to his instruction, despite noona was resisting and wanted to stay by her man's side. We both were confused what the argument was all about, but it was so obvious that the man was extremely angry at Jong Kook hyung for some reason.

 

I saw my brother trying to calm the stranger by apologizing to that man (which I wondered why he did it), but the crazy guy suddenly aimed his weapon to Ji Hyo noona. Hyung immediately jumped forward to snatch the pistol from the attacker, and that's when the bullet passed through his chest - killing my brother in an instant. Noona screamed frantically as she saw her husband was killed in front of her very eyes, and she broke free from my cuddle just to rush back to her dead man's body. I wasn't thinking of my own safety when I fought the killer with my bare hands, as anger was the only feeling that I had when I looked at him. I punched his face countless times, until the cops arrived and took the man away.

 

Because I was too focus on getting my revenge, I didn't notice that noona was lying unconsciously on hyung's body. I ran to her side in panic - trying to wake her up while cuddling her body so close to mine. I realized that she wasn't breathing, so I did my best to perform CPR while waiting for the medical assistance to arrive. Sadly, it was too late for her. Like a crazy person, I cried my heart out as the medical officers pronounced the death of hyung and noona at the same time. I couldn't accept the fact that both of them were gone, just when we were starting to live as a real family. Suddenly everything was 'taken' - including my sanity.

 

That nightmare caused me to spend two years in psychiatric hospital, but I was fortunate to find someone who helped me to go through that painful journey and learn to let go of the past. Her name is Krystal, and she's my doctor (now my girlfriend as we have been dating for almost three months). Once I have recovered, Krystal revealed to me the truth behind the attack. That man was a husband who lost his dear wife in a surgery performed by Jong Kook hyung just days before the wedding, and ever since he vowed to revenge her death by not letting hyung to live happily with the woman he loves - Ji Hyo noona.

 

Knowing the truth had answered all the questions that were cluttering my head for years, to which I owe Krystal an appreciation for filling out the 'blank spaces'. Today I am much stronger to live without hyung and noona, but that doesn't mean that they were forgotten. Just like the wind - my two favourite people can't be seen with eyes, but I can 'feel' their presence around me.. as long as I live. Till we meet again my dearest brother and sister. I really miss you two.

 

-The End-