Part Ten: Admittance

Watch Over Me

Saying Jeonghan felt conflicted was a complete understatement. He needed a break, to be honest. He needed to be alone; to think about what he was going to do. And, that’s why Jeonghan, for once, was looking forward to going to church on Sunday.

They had arrived early, to Jeonghan’s excitement, and upon entering, he walked straight to the other angel he had met last time, Minghao.

“Minghao?” Jeonghan called, tapping his shoulder gently. The blonde boy looked at him expectantly with his wide eyes.

“Oh, hi, Jeonghan! How are you?” 

Jeonghan didn’t want to be honest.

“I’m fine,” he lied, putting on his best I-Swear-To-Seungcheol-I’m-Happy smile. Minghao didn’t seem to be able to look through his lie, and smiled back.

“I was wondering,” Jeonghan continued, “Is there a way to, say… be reassigned?” 

Minghao tilted his head before glancing at Joshua, but he didn’t question anything.

“There is. You simply have to go back to heaven and ask Seungcheol. He’s quite accommodating. I actually switched, too, from my last assignment, Seokmin. He was nice and all, but much too loud, and I-“

“How do I get back to heaven?” Jeonghan cut off.

“Easy,” Minghao smiled brightly again, not at all fazed by Jeonghan’s slight lack of manners, “You just ask Seungcheol.”

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

Jeonghan looked at Joshua once before taking a deep breath. He couldn’t believe he was doing this. Joshua would be so hurt. But he needed to help his mother. He just had to.

“Seungcheol,” Jeonghan started timidly, “I’d like to go back to heaven, please. I need to talk to you.”

And, just like when he had passed away, Jeonghan felt a hand pulling him into a bright white light. The pain in his chest eased, and he suddenly felt less lost. He did not, however, forget his reason for going.

He stood then, facing Seungcheol.

“Hi, Jeonghan, what’s up?” Seungcheol was casual, and smiled brightly. 

“I want to be reassigned,” Jeonghan began carefully. 

Seungcheol looked surprised if nothing else.

“But… why? Joshua is the perfect assignment.”

Jeonghan smiled weakly at the thought of Joshua and how disappointed he would be upon learning that Jeonghan was gone.

“Not for me. My mother is the perfect assignment for me,” Jeonghan was firm. He almost missed the little flash of pity in Seungcheol’s eyes.

“Jeonghan,” Seungcheol started, his gaze not leaving the long haired boy’s,

“There’s something I have to tell you.”

 

_________________________________________________________________________

 

It was much too quiet for Joshua’s liking.

The house was big and empty, and whenever he tried to talk to Jeonghan, he didn’t get a reply.

He was worried. Was Jeonghan mad at him?

Probably. He was selfish. Joshua was almost never selfish. He tried his best to accommodate to others; to be a gentleman. He tried his best to make everyone happy, and yet, he had let Jeonghan be upset. Jeonghan was someone he never wanted to make upset, and if Jeonghan wasn’t mad at him, he would make up for it by being mad at himself.

Joshua felt all the emotions that Jeonghan had been feeling lately.

He felt the immense guilt and desperation. He felt the exhaustion and the regret. And, on top of all this, he had felt his own set of empathy, pity, and helplessness. He couldn’t help Jeonghan. He couldn’t help Jeonghan’s mother. He couldn’t help himself. 

Joshua felt absolutely useless. Joshua had never felt like this before; like someone else had mattered so much to him that it would interfere in his daily life and in the happy aura he had always carried with him.

He wondered then why he felt so strongly towards Jeonghan if all Jeonghan had done was bring him pain.

And he realized, then, that it was because he wanted Jeonghan to be happy. He wanted Jeonghan to get what he wanted. He wanted Jeonghan to be able to freely communicate. He wanted Jeonghan to feel like he wasn’t so alone. He just… He wanted Jeonghan.

Jeonghan was someone who was kind, angelic, and ethereally beautiful.

And Joshua was right. There was the right person for him out there, and he had finally found the good thing he had been waiting for. He only wished that Jeonghan would respond to him so he could apologize…

So he could tell Jeonghan he was in love with him. 

______________________________________________________________________

Hi everyone! I'd just like to warn you now that the next chapter may be triggering for some, so please be aware of that. It will be marked as rated M for mentions of certain triggers. 

Anyway, thank you again to my upvoters, viewers, subscribers, and to my lovely new commenter seungrivvip.

Thank you guys and please anticipate the next chapter. This one was more like... the calm before the storm. ( - ;