224

Blood of Seiryuu #2

            “You’re crazy,” I spat out. He didn’t seem so surprised when he pulled away. Jongin glanced at the CCTV camera and warned me not to speak out of turn. I gritted my teeth and slumped back on the bed, even as my five senses began to clear up. I glared and lowered my voice a little so that it was barely a whisper, “Why should I trust you again? You’ve failed me second time, surely there will be a third and fourth to that.”

 

            “I never ask you to trust me, Princess,” He dusted his shirt from non-existent dust. The nonchalantness returned to his eyes as he was once again, surrounded by an air of arrogance that belonged only to born-and-taught aristocratic families. Something flickered in his gaze, and it faltered for a while, as if he was having a second-thought about his words, “And even if I do, you would never be able to, would you, Sena?”

 

            I could not trust him anymore – not after all that happened. He had betrayed me too many times, and sometimes I even wondered how I could still be alive after everything he had done. But I guess human’s heart was strong. We could take on more than our perceived capability. I stubbornly shook my head and found him smirking – the sad smile a bit too foreign to his usual teasing self. It was like looking at a liar’s well-played stage, and finding out that every act he put on was the truth.

 

            “Don’t bring Sehun here. He’s got nothing to do with this. Leave him alone!” I glared at Jongin as he shielded the camera away, shaking his head in amusement at my disobedience. His look was purely evil, and I secretly trembled in fear, knowing what he was capable of and what he would do to Sehun if he ever came here. “Grandfather wants my blood? Fine. You’re getting it anyway, aren’t you? But please, Kim Jongin. Not Sehun. Don’t hurt him!”

 

            He snorted, but it sounded more like a mocking sneer, “You would beg for him? After everything you’ve been through? You, who never even trusted anyone else?” At first he sounded hurt, but I couldn’t be sure of it if he turned away so quickly to shield away his expression from me. He stepped away from the bed with his hands folded in front of his chest, defensively speaking in a hurried voice that sounded out of breath, “Do you like Sehun? Is that why?”

 

            He definitely sounded jealous, but I couldn’t believe it anymore. Perhaps he was faking it for my pity. I stared at his figure in disgust and tried not to scoff, but the sound came out half-choked. The nerve of this man! How could he be begging for my pity shamelessly? “My feelings for Sehun has nothing to do with you. You have long been gone from our lives. Don’t even try to act like you care, Kim Jongin. Mark my words: I will never forgive you if you hurt Sehun and my Elites.”

 

            He stared at me, his eyes a shade darker. The storm seemed to have ceased in surrender. Gone was the light. He clenched his fists so tightly it looked like he would bleed. Jongin was silent for a while, trying to collect his thoughts together before he replied. There was nothing much to say. It was all clear since the beginning. We drew a line and crossed it many times, and now that we came to this, we couldn’t return to where we were and what we used to be.

 

            Jongin snickered, but it sounded forced, as if he was concealing something. I looked up, and there was this inexplicable look that held me for the longest time, “You’re right. I have gone for too long. You and Sehun are not my problem anymore. Just remember what I told you, Yoon Sena,” his voice was cold and restrained, “When someone comes to save you, run with them. This place is not for a fragile leader like you.”

 

            And the sound that followed was the banging of the door. I sat on my bed, perplexed and disappointed. Only then did I realize that Jongin hadn’t left this room since the day I woke up, and today was the first. Somehow I had gotten used to another presence beside me, and without it, I felt a little bit anxious and worried. I wished I could shut that CCTV camera down, but doing so would attract suspicion and I did not wish to draw attention without mapping out an escape plan.

 

            I looked at the needle in my hand and quietly pulled it out, dropping it down on the bed, so that nothing would look odd to the camera. Next I slumped down, my head facing sideways as I forced my mind to clear up. I should escape soon before they realised I was out of drug. At this time, I could rely on no one, but myself. Hopefully, Sehun wouldn’t catch a whiff of my capture and rushed here thoughtlessly.

 

 

 

(9)

 

            “Congratulations, Kim Jongin.”

 

            Out of all the answers he would expect, that was definitely last on his list. Sehun’s cold, calculating voice never failed to get on his nerves, and Jongin didn’t like the confidence Sehun had. He sat on the dangerous edge of the rooftop, an inch away from falling over. The phone was slipping down his tights as he put on the earphone, swaying left and right dangerously. It wasn’t exactly safe to call Sehun in the enemy’s lair, but he had to try for Sena’s sake.

 

            “I don’t deserve to be congratulated by you, Oh Sehun,” He bitterly bit his lips in an effort to shield himself away from the bright sun. A frown was heavily plastered on his tanned face, courtesy of living under the merciless scorching sun for two years abroad. The sleeveless shirt wasn’t helping with the heat, and he would rather be down there, guarding the girl than out here talking with his rival. “What time will you ing come because that girl is suffering like hell down there?”

 

            “How is Sena?” Sehun sounded pained, the way Jongin was. Ironically, this was also the most civilised conversation they had had in their whole life, and perhaps the only possible one because after everything was over, they would once again start another cold war – given that both of them came out alive. Jongin didn’t really plan on living long and comfortably, but he felt this terrible need to explain to Sena the reason behind his actions – though that might not justify the pain he had given her.

 

            Her pain was his. He shared her anger and sadness, but for her sake, Jongin had to bear everything, even if that meant being the bad guy in her life. But he wouldn’t let Sehun off easily. He swore he wouldn’t. Just because he felt more for Sena did not mean that the love would erase whatever hatred he had towards the younger man. Jongin wanted to torment Sehun a little bit more, so he would understand the misery he’d been through.

 

            “Now you have the nerve to ask after you throw her away into the tiger’s lair,” Jongin sneered mockingly.

 

            “I do because you are the guarantor that nothing would happen to her,” Sehun hissed in reply and the words that came after were form of his affection that he could not express directly, “One bruise on her body and you’re good as dead. If she comes back crying and scarred because of something you did, you’d better pay back, Kim Jongin! Sena has suffered enough because of you!”

 

            Jongin lied down on the steel and closed his eyes, hands covering and chest heaving, “We all have different priorities, Sehun. Yours is not to hurt her in any way. Mine is to make sure she is safe from any harm. That’s why you stayed and I left. Can’t judge me without judging yourself, can you? Even if you wish to come clean with Sena, you will never be able to. But don’t worry. I won’t open my mouth and start speaking unless you push me to. Now don’t get all emotional and come here before that Old Man drains her of blood.”

 

            Sehun was quiet. He raised a hand and every Elites in the room halted. They were dressed in black from head-to-toe, weapons in hands and ready to fight. Even Ten was there with the group, though he was not officially introduced yet. Luhan growled quietly and glared at the phone begrudgingly – a reaction Taemin found very amusing. Behind the eleven Elites, were thousands of trainees from both Seiryuu and Genbu’s armies, a joint agreement from Joonmyun after he heard about what happened.

 

            The huge airplanes would soon enter Byakko’s territory and it would be impossible not to be shot down. After all, this was the reason why Grandfather hurriedly went back to one of the southern India island to avoid a huge confrontation with Sena’s army. He knew he would have a backing from Byun Baekhyun. The leader of this attack was Sehun, who slipped the phone back to his ear with a small, grim smile, “Be prepared, Kim Jongin. We will crush that hide-out in one-go.”

 

            Then he dropped the phone on the ground without waiting for Jongin’s reply. Sehun turned around and walked towards the pilot cabin, and solemnly stared at Chanyeol, who sat down beside Kyungsoo, hands rapidly moving up and down and around to control the movement of the planes. They were now speeding up towards the clouds, as Chanyeol excitedly called out to Sehun, “Thirty seconds before the invasion. Counting down now.”

 

            Sehun turned around and smiled gracefully. He looked more like a statue now than ever. In this plane, there were thousand of them, all lined up. He brought up the mic on his collar to allow the sound to be transmitted onto the other planes, where thousands of others were waiting impatiently for his command, “Twenty five seconds, guys. Remember what we are here for. Team 1 will follow me to save Sena. Team 2 will follow Luhan to attack the base and their system. Team 3,” He looked pointedly at the only team that consisted of the newest Elites, Jinki, Jonghyun, Kibum, Minho and Taemin, “will be led by Jinki. You know what to do. The rest of you will follow Taeyong and get ready for the surprise attack. Understood?”

 

            There was a loud, synchronized ‘yes!’ from all the other planes, and they all saluted once more before Chanyeol shouted again, “Ten seconds before the landing, guys. Ten, nine, eight… Oh , they are coming now!” He dodged the first missiles launched by the enemy party by moving the plane forty-five degrees to the left, as everyone caught onto each other’s shoulder, trying to find balance amidst the sudden chaos.   

 

            Kyungsoo, who was relatively calmer, glared at Chanyeol and spoke loudly, “We’re gonna crash onto the ground in five seconds. Be prepared! Four, three, two, one…” Bang! Five planes simultaneously landed with a loud thump. The green grass of the island suffered massive blow as the first plane landed, while four others reached the shore with bombing sounds. Sehun clutched onto Kyungsoo’s seat and stood up with a slow-spreading grin.

 

            “Go!” He commanded when the door opened, and everyone rushed outside with their weapons ready to attack. Sehun ran along after giving knowing looks to Chanyeol, who nodded at Kyungsoo. He threw away the cover beneath his feet and brought up twin blades with abnormal length. Even with his tall stature, the blades he held were longer than his feet, and heavier than most. Only with his inhumanely gifted strength would he be able to lift them up at the same time and swung it with ease as if they were his second hands.

 

            “Be careful, Park Chanyeol,” Kyungsoo whispered softly as he shut off the plane’s door, ready for departure. There had to be someone handling all the mess in the air, with those dangerous missiles being directed to Eastern Asian area. He was the only pilot capable enough to fly alone without guidance or the need for a co-pilot. From the glass window of his cabin, Kyungsoo took one last look of Chanyeol’s ashen hair, and he too, took off for a fight of his own. Hopefully this time, he would be able to bring victory and pride to Sena and Seiryuu.