Mob 25: Her Unbearable Silence

Gangs of Itaewon

Related image


 

[DARA]

  I stepped into the shower, toes flinching as they come into contact with the chilled ceramic floor. The ride back home with Seunghyun lifted my spirits more than I would ever thought of; he has a way of playing with a series of funnily violent vocabulary. Yet my mind was still in shreds, unable to get the picture of Jiyong and Hani out of my mind. My hand twisted the dial open, releasing thousands of lukewarm drops that were a source of comfort, allowing them to trickle down my face and my back. 

  Hani and Jiyong...a near perfect duo; the new Underboss and the Mafian Princess. Who would not approve of the two as a couple? 

  I sighed, mindlessly dressing myself up before stepping out of the bathroom and onto the warm, soft floormat before the door. 

  My eyes fell on the opened window ledge before stopping on the sight of Jiyong frozen in the midst of his climb in, his own gaze halting on the sight of me, still clad in the suit that he wore from the ceremony.

  "Is this a bad time?" He asked, still motionless in his position as he slowly dragged his gaze down. I blinked before realising that I only have my undergarments on. A small grin was starting to cross his lips.

  "GET OUT!" I shrieked, ripping the towel from my hair to cover myself. With difficulty, my fingers managed to stretch enough to hook my PJs off the bed frame. This is beyond embarrasing!!! From my peripheral vision, I had barely slam the bathroom door behind me when he lifted himself over the ledge with apparent ease.

  With cheeks burning, I pulled my baggy shirt and my striped PJ pants on. Thank god I'm at least wearing something. Imagine if I decided to leave my clothes on my bed and step out commando. I stared at myself in the mirror and my, I look horrible even right after a bath. Hastily, I tried to flatten my damp and agitated hair that was springing in all directions before a soft realisation hits me that in the shock of Jiyong being here, I had completely forgotten about what happened earlier during the ceremony. 

  I shifted my gaze away from my reflection, my chest suddenly weighed down by an undescribable ache. Is the engagement what he's here to talk about? He can't have came all the way to say goodbye.. can he?

  It took me a little less than 10 minutes to re-emerge from my bathroom. Jiyong was leaning against my desk, his left arm gripping lightly on the edge of the table behind him. In his other hand held one of my old textbook that he's reading. Sensing my movement, he lifted his eyes and set the book back on the table.

  "You like those?" I asked, trying to start a casual topic. The uneasy feeling in me was building as I surpressed it, preventing it from reaching a peak. 

  "Can't understand a word."

  "I thought so." I laughed in a strained voice before cursing myself in my head. I might as well hang a sign that says Lets-Not-Talk-Tonight right on my forehead. 

  Jiyong furrowed his brows, his lips pressed into a thin line as his hard gaze penetrated my wavering eyes. This isn't a good sign. I need to talk more.

  "Oh uhm, congrats on that promotion, I knew you'd get it.."

  Jiyong sighed audibly as he released his burning gaze from me to run his hand through his hair. "Dara..."

  "I left first because I heard these events would drag way past into the night and you know how my grams is-" I continued loudly, rambling on and on so there's a higher probability that we can all just drop forget about the inevitable topic. 

  "C'mon Dara," Jiyong said with a small hint of exasperation. "Seunghyun hyung told me everything."

  That shut me up. A lump was starting to form inside my throat as I ran out of things to say. My tactic was to avoid and buy myself more time to think about how I want to deal with this entire thing, but with Jiyong coming straight for the issue, I felt helpless. I knew I was going to fight to keep him, but I didn't know how I am going to do that. 

  "Hey." Jiyong cooed, bridging the distance between us to cup my cheeks in his hands. "We're going to be fine, nerd. I'll find a way to get out of this." 

  I swallowed the lump in my throat and lifted my eyes to meet his tired face. 

  A flurry of emotions ran through me. His reassurances worked but they couldn't erase the small sharp pains in my chest. This whole engagement setup is bound to have an impact on us but what if it actually breaks us apart..? There were so many uncertainties that I wished I could stop thinking about... and the biggest of them is contributed by the fact that I technically still can't call Jiyong mine...

  Ji's eyes were searching my face and I returned his reassurances a thin smile. He didn't seem convinced, retaining the troubled expression on his face.

  "Are you going to sleep here tonight?" I broke the silence after a while. It took me a few seconds to realise that I probably sounded like I was still trying to avoid the topic; when I actually didn't know what else to say. 

  Jiyong's frown deepened, but he answered "Yeah." nonetheless.

 

  It felt like the right side of my bed has subconsciously became a space that's belonged to Jiyong, so much so that I even stopped rolling over to that side when I'm asleep. The tiny size of the bed meant that we had to squeeze, and Jiyong would have his arms around me as I rested my back on his chest, chatting mindlessly about anything and everything or have our own whispered arguments over our preferences in the dark till the break of dawn. But tonight is different. We were both silent, pondering about what is going on in each other's minds. 

  "You have to ask me questions, Park." Jiyong's voice rang out softly behind me.

  Ask questions? I'm dying to know what are his plans to wriggle out of this entire situation, or even if that is possible at all. At the same time, I dread the answer, fearing that its something that I might not be able to handle. As much as I hate to admit it, I couldn't even imagine a concrete plan of getting out of this without Jiyong getting hurt right now. The only thing that I can do is to keep my faith in him and believe that he'll come back no matter what.

  "Tomorrow, Jiyong." I whispered. 

  He didn't say anything as he rubbed his hand up and down my arm before planting a small kiss on my shoulder.

  "Sleep, Dara. You're exhausted." 

  I nodded and shut my eyes to chase sleep, but Daniel, the previous Consigliere's voice echoed over and over in my head, and it didn;t took long before I realise that I'm probably not going to get anything close to a wink tonight.

  Are we really going to fine?

  


[-]

  The path from home to her workplace remained the same distance, but Dara never wished for the road to be enlongated as much as she did today. The gentle morning light that has basked the streets made everything feel a little warmer. With each stride her mind became more clear, more resolute, as if the walking is able to miraculously untangle the strings of thoughts that plagued her mind last night.

  She mustn't lost faith in the idea of them. Jiyong is willing to fight for them, so there isn't anything else that she can really do but to always wait for Jiyong patiently and believe that no matter what, he will always include her in whatever decisions that he makes. 

  Dara abruptly paused to close her eyes and take in a deep breath of dewy air, allowing the scent of the street food to lift her spirits.  

  From now on, she will only be focused on the future. She's sure that Daniel had threw this out as a form of a test for her, to make sure that she isn't one that can be easily compelled to leave Jiyong's side, and she's not going to fail it.  Afterall, Dara thought with a renewed sense of determination, passing tests has always been her only forte. 

  Before Dara could resume her walk, a silver gray mercedes s600 pulled over by the pavement that she walked along. Along with the scattered few pedestrains on the street, Dara casted the luxury car a curious glance. The back window of the vehicle pulled down to reveal none other than Jiyong's fiancee, who pulled the pair of big shades of her nose bridge. 

  "Hop on in then!" Hani called out to the stunned Dara, sounding more like a command than an invitation. "I'll give you a ride."

  Why would Hani be kind enough to give me a ride? Dara thought skeptically. "No thanks, I'll walk."

  "Get in here. You obviously know I'm here to talk about Jiyong oppa." Hani said impatiently. 

  A sense of discomfort rose up in Dara again, but she pushed it away. Stay positive, stay positive. She chanted to herself. There isn't anything that she can say that will make me waver. 

  "What are your plans now that me and Jiyong oppa are getting engaged?" Hani asked loudly as soon as Dara got into the Mercedes. Hers eyes were wavering, almost as if she is refusing to meet Dara's eyes.

  "I'm not going to give up, Hani." Dara answered straightly. "I won't leave him."

  "Neither am I." Hani defended. "We're different, Dara. I grew up in the Mafia world. I know how things are run, I know the danger involved. But you, Dara, you're a salesgirl, for god's sake! Look how different you are from us! Your world is nothing but a safe crib ruled by laws. Why are you still grabbing onto him? Can you really live happy life with him with all the bloodshed and crimes around you that you know are happening but have to ignore?"

  The usually childish Hani seemed extra serious today, but Dara wasn't going to back down. 

  "I love Jiyong, Hani." Dara said in exhaustion. Hani's brows twitched at her words. "That's why I have to stay. We're from two different worlds but we can always meet each other in the middle. Call me selfish or stupid but I can't care about the dangers that you are warning me about right now because the biggest danger to me is the possibility of losing him. You're right, I don't know anything about the Mafia and I am a whole load of a difference from who Jiyong is but Hani, I can make him happy."

  "It's not fair! I loved him first!" Hani argued. "I knew Jiyong oppa since we were both children! You were the one that came into our lives to steal him away from me!"

  "Nobody can steal him away if he loved you." 

  Hani glared at Dara as her shoulders heaved up and down from her outburst. The car has stopped outside the boutique. 

  "Thanks for the ride." Dara muttered, her eyes on the seatbelt that she's unbuckling, before lifting them to meet Hani's accusory ones. "Love and reliance are completely different things Hani. Love isn't something that comes in chronological order. What if you're just possessive over him because he's someone that you've always thought would be yours? Have you thought about that?"

  Leaving the words behind, Dara alighted the vehicle and started towards her workplace in long strides. She didn't stop until she was in the back store of the shop before she leaned herself against the wall of boxes, biting on her lips to calm herself. 

  Why are you still grabbing onto him? Can you really live happy life with him with all the bloodshed and crimes around you that you know are happening but have to ignore?

  Hani's words had an effect on her. She knows that this is exactly what Jiyong was worried about. This is why he told not to say those three words to him until she's completely sure. 

  She shut her eyes, raising a hand to place over her chest. There was the tinkling of the bells hung on the door outside, signaling the arrival of customers. 

  Dara's eyelids fluttered open as she exhaled audibly before pushing her back off the wall.

 
  Her battle for him.. starts now.

 


 

[-]

  The gunshots were raining all around them like winter hail. The family's arms deal have gone wrong again, turning the situation violent. It was nothing new, albeit a little strange that more and more of the family's operations seem to be having hiccups or going off. The new Caporegime is already handling a clean sweep of a local gang that had initiated a turf war with the Mafia, leaving Jiyong and his team of men to clean up the mess by the pier despite the fact that he's already the Underboss. 

  A swiss blade that flew through the air grazed the side of Jiyong's cheek. Snarling, he fired two shots from his gun, the second one hitting its target. 

  "What the hell?" Youngbae shouted, gunning down an assassin that has somehow spotted Daesung who's covering the rest with his sniper and is now aiming his gun right at him. "Why are you so distracted?" He glances at Jiyong briefly.

  The Underboss ignored him and tossed a full magazine over to the Maknae instead. 

  "What's the deal? Did Dara gave you a hard time about the engagement order?" 

  The leader ducked sliding himself over a car, his expression remaining passive. "She didn't say anything about that."

  Wow, Dara is sure more sensible that he thought he is. Youngbae smirked. "Then what's your problem?"

  "That's the problem." Jiyong replied dully. "I can't see whats in her head." 

  Youngbae spared Jiyong a moment as he took cover behind a Rover, frowning at his best mate. "I don't get it."

  "She's locking me out, Youngbae."

  At the same moment, a small vibration in the pocket of Jiyong's jeans caught his attention. He whipped it out and- what the heck, Soo Hyuk? Why on earth would he call him now when he informed that he'll be in the middle of a gunfight?

  "What's up?" Jiyong said impatiently as he picked up the call, narrowly dodging a bullet that has ricochet off a wall. 

  "I'm with someone now." Soo Hyuk spoke from the other line. Jiyong groaned inwardly as his hand gun ran out of ammo. With his phone wedged between his ear and his shoulder, he struggled to reload. He better has a god damn good reason for calling. 

  Soo Hyuk seemed to have distanced the phone from himself. "You should say hi." He mused, his voice sounding further away from Jiyong. 

  There was a moment of silence on the line until a completely different voice replaced Soo Hyuk's. 

  "...Jiyong?"

  The same voice that would make him drop everything and run towards wherever it is.

  "Dara?" His brows knitted together instantly as he snatched the phone off his shoulder to press it closer to his ear. Why the hell is Soo Hyuk with Dara? Why the hell is her voice this shaky?

  The girl didn't have a chance to reply before the phone is taken over by Soo Hyuk again. "Don't worry mate, we're just chatting at the cafeteria near where she works. Join us after you're done." The new Consigliere said smoothly.

  "Hey-" Jiyong protested, but the line was already cut. Adrenaline was pumping in his veins, her unstable voice driving him insane. God, he swears if anything is wrong with her...

  "I want this wrapped up in 5 minutes!" The Underboss yelled.

  


[DARA]

 

  Time check, it's now 3pm in the afternoon and I'm already dead beat. I'm sitting behind the counter and had barely started my daily exercise- day dreaming, when Bom snapped her fingers infront of my face.

  "You look like an extra on the set of the Walking Dead." Bom mused, folding her arms together. 

  "Don't even mention the Walking Dead to me." I sighed, darkly thinking about how the show that I have followed so faithfully for 6 seasons killed off two of my favorite characters, Glenn and Abraham, in a single freaking episode. "My wounds have not healed sufficiently for you to poke at yet."

  "It's lunch time." Bom declared loudly, ignoring my outpour of griviances as she forcibly dragged me out from behind the counter in her quest for food. I swear, the only things in this world that can make my insane but also very lazy bestfriend run are sales, hunks and food.

  The whole way to the cafe we were arguing feverishly about the outcomes of the show. 

  "Just let it go girl, they had no choice." Bom argued.

  Oh hell no! They have the entire cast lined up in selection of who to kill and they choose my kind hearted Glenn who happens to be one of the main characters of the show?

  "They could've done away with Eugene? Or Aaron for that matter." I grumbled, glancing up at the menu. Ahh, I'm famished. Choosing what to eat is such a merriful torture.

  "Hey, that man there has been staring at you since we walked into the cafe." Bom whispered to me, nodding her chin towards the corner of the shop.

  Curiously, I tore my gaze away from the list of food to where she was talking about and sure enough, there really is a person clad in a suit by the corner who doesn't even bother to hid the fact that he's staring straight at me, with a small smile on his face, as if he's happy to have been discovered. How creepy. But he looks so familiar... Sharp face... an extremely high nose bridge... vampirish features.... 

  I blinked when I realised who he is. Soo Hyuk! Hani's older brother and the new Consigliere of the Mafia! The last time I saw him was at the promotion ceremony...

  He's sitting alone and the entire set up with the empty seat in front of him looked like he was waiting for somebody. It can't be me, can it? A dull thud hits the pit of my stomach. Is he here to warn me to back away from his younger sister's fiance? 

  Soo Hyuk is still staring when I turned to Bom. "I think he's waiting for me. You'll have to eat ahead first, Bommie." 

  "It better be important. Nobody steals my bestie away during lunch." Bom said grudgingly. 

  I patted her cheek before walking over to Soo Hyuk, who took a sip of coffee calmly, his eyes never leaving me the whole time, making me uncomfortable. He gestured to the seat ahead of him just as I reached his table. So I was right, he is waiting for me.

  "Hello, Dara." The new Consigliere said pleasantly.

  I wasn't going to let my guard down, especially after the encounter with Hani earlier on.

  "Hi." I answered warily. "Are you here on behalf of Hani?" I asked straight fowardly. Bom is still waiting for me.

  "Hani? No, no, my duties as an older brother to my immature younger sister can wait. I'm here on behalf of our family. The Mafia." Soo Hyuk chuckled coldly, folding a leg over the other leisurely.

  "The Mafia?"

  "My position as the new Consigliere would require me to make important decision for the family. Make analysis. No matter how I calculate, you seem to be a big liability to us. Jiyong is the Underboss now. His role in the family is more critical than ever, but you, Miss Park, you're his weakness. Anyone who sees it can use it as a gateway to attack us. It happened once with Cha Seungwon didn't it?"

  My heart clenched tightly at his words and I took a deep breath before answering him. What's with consiglieres and their knack for hitting right at the spot of people where they are the most insecure about?

  "Why're you telling me this, Soo Hyuk? Do you want me to leave him?"

  "Oh trust me, tearing couples up isn't part of my job, but until you can prove my calculations wrong, you are the single, most lethal weapon against Jiyong. And it doesn't stop there, under him are the lives of Daesung, Youngbae, Seunghyun, Seungri and many other more of our lower-ranked men, as well as that of their families."

  My voice seemed to have left me. I didn't know what to say. I am the biggest danger to Jiyong?

  "I'll be more alert." I tried in small voice. 

  "Oh, how naive of you to think that staying on your guards would keep everyone safe. Dara, you don't know how secret societies function. You don't know what exactly do we do, don't you? Have Jiyong never told you about what's really going on in the underworld?"

  What exactly does the Mafia do? I know they're involved in crimes and illegal operations... but the extent of it... wouldn't it be better to not know?

  Upon my silence, Soo Hyuk shook his head ironically and leaned back into his seat. "See, Dara. You're not prepared to be exposed to our world." 

  He pushed the iPad that has been propped up infront of him to me.

  "Jiyong is keeping you oblivious about how bloody the underworld can get, even if you're right in the middle of it."

  I looked down at the screen. On it was what appeared to be CCTV footage of the casino room that I was held hostage in. As how I remembered, I was carried out in Jiyong's arms, my eyes closed the entire way out. But now I am looking at it from a third person's perspective and.. oh god, the room is a slaughterhouse. Blood was everywhere. Bodies were piled up against one another, some motionless, some stiring feebly. 

  I pressed my hand to my mouth, my stomach turning over with sickness. I remember the pungent smell of blood but I didn't know that there was such an amount of carnage. I wanted to stop watching, but my eyes couldn't move. A man in the footage, one of Jiyong's subordinate, bowed to him before raising his gun to one survivor before he was stopped by a small shake of Jiyong's head. All the while I was right there, but I was blind to what's going on. Jiyong didn't let his men shoot while I was there. 

  As soon as Jiyong left the room with me, the remaining men in the room started to fire at whoever on the floor that were still moving, killing them off completely. My breathing was getting ragged. More blood is oozing towards the floor. 

  "E...enough." I whispered weakly, pushing the iPad away from me. I was shaking all over. This is a snuff film. So many people are dead in just a matter of seconds. Thinking that I was right there, inches away from all the gore and dead bodies felt like all the air has been knocked out of me, and I had to clutch at my chest.

  "Just in time." Soo Hyuk raised a brow, and I looked up to see him on the phone. "I'm with someone now." He spoke into the phone before he suddenly held it out for me. "You should say hi."

  Shakily, I took the phone over, and managed to catch a glimpse of the one he called. 

  "Jiyong?" I asked, trying hard to supress the nausea that I felt just now. Soo Hyuk was holding the same small smile that he had just now. He really knew how to present people at their weakest. 

  "Dara?" Jiyong's surprised voice answered me. His voice was muffled by all the things that are going on in the background. It was noisy and it sounded like there was people shouting and oh my god- are those gunshots???

  My mind went blank and the phone was retaken by Soo Hyuk again. "Don't worry mate, we're just chatting at the cafeteria near where she works. Join us after you're done." He said in an amused tone, as if we're really here just chatting about all things nice under the sky. 

  "Now you see?" Soo Hyuk asked after returned his phone to his coat. "Do you really think you can live in our world?"

  I remained stunned and mute. 

  "Jiyong should be here soon." Soo Hyuk sighed as he looked out of the window, buttoning up his coat. "I'll leave the both of you to talk, then." 

 

-

Related image

  


Dear blackjacks. I'm with you guys. I have no words to describe the loss that I felt
when they announce that the group that I have liked since 2009 doesn't exist anymore. 

But I believe that the only way to keep someone alive forever is love. 
As long as we never stop loving them
2NE1 will always be there.