Mob 16: Resort Getaway Part 2

Gangs of Itaewon

[DARA]

  This is tourist Dara giving you a live update from Jeju!!!

  I twirled around slowly, making sure that my video camera has captured everything in this grand hotel. KYAA! We have just landed and now we're at the Lotte Hotel that the Korean... organisations.. have booked. Despite the atmosphere being a little scary with all the men in black suits and in ears walking around, this place is absolutely beautiful. The entire lobby is covered by marble and decorated with renaissance-like paintings which looks ethereal under the basking of the soft orange glow sprinkled over the grand hall by the magnificient chandeliers. 

  Jiyong seems to be busy at the reception counter, making final checks with his guys. That doesn't bother me and I took my time lurking around, prodding my nose into every little corner. I can't wait to see more of Jeju already. 

  "Dara!" 

  Someone whispered my name in a high pitch and it turned out to be Bom, who had just arrived as well with her respective party. Trying to make as little noise as possible, she rushed up to me. We squealed silently, our hands enclasped together as we spazzed over the glamour of this building.

  There was a small flick on my forehead and I yelped before seeing Donghae, looking extra clean cut today wearing a grey suit and a pressed black shirt within. He had his brown, frizzy hair tamed into a side comb.

  "Hey midget." He smiled, pressing his palm on my forehead as I reached up to rub it. I grumbled and punched him lightly on the sides. The boy whom Donghae introduced as Jackson retrieved Bom and Donghae's bags from them and signalled for a bellhop. 

  "We'll call you later baby." Bom hushed excitedly before hurrying away after the bellhop. 

  I grinned at my friends before I fumbled for my video cam to record at least their retreating backs. Why is this thing so hard to on? I finally managed to get a good shot into the frame when their tiny figures in the distance was abruptly cut into black by a hand covering my lens. I glanced up just in time to catch a room card thrown to me by Jiyong, whose eyes were trained on the back of Donghae.

  "Go ahead first. I'll take a while." He said, tearing his stare away from the looker. 

  Psh, this guy seriously have some issues with his mood swings.

  I lugged my suitcase behind me and took the posh, carpeted lift to the 23rd floor. According to what I know, level 3 to 8 were booked by the White Traids, which is where Donghae and Bommie would be staying while 20 to 25 are the Seoul Mob's. I made a mental note to not find Bom at her hotel room under any circumstances remembering how blown up the situation at Donghae's place got when Jiyong saw me at the Traid's turf.

  Right before the lift's door closed a hand jammed into the slit of the doors. I pressed on the open button and the doors parted to reveal a man with a pair of sunglasses, clad in the same black suit as the rest of the Mafia members. Beside him, a middle aged but good looking ahjusshi with a well groomed moustache stood.

  "Thank you." The ahjusshi smiled. I beamed back in response. 

  The ride to the 23rd floor is silent except for the soft classical music that's playing in the background. The back of my neck feels prickly, as if I'm being watched. Uneasily, I looked behind me and the while the shades were blocking the Mafian's eyes, that strange ahjussi didn't bother hiding his obvious staring.

  "You must be Dara." He said pleasantly. 

  Eh? He knows me? 

  "Have we met before?" I asked carefully. The lift is on its 20th floor.

  The ahjussi broke into a small smile again as he shook his head. The lift gave out a 'ding' as I reached my floor. 

  "We'll meet soon, Dara." He greeted as I bowed my head slightly as a goodbye. What does he mean by that? I blinked at him, getting slightly creeped out by the way his eyes were penetrating deep into mine, only broken when the two chrome colored doors closed between us. How weird. Ahjusshis are really not my thang,

  I started to look for room 433, which turns out to be at the end of the hallway, where a hotel housekeeper is exiting from. 

  I tapped my card and was granted immediate access. The room looks like its probably bigger than the whole of Bom's apartment combined. It has a small living room and even a minibar. I flunk myself enthusiastically onto the double bed and bounced back up a little. Kyaaaaa! This is way too good to be true!! Finally a king size bed for myself- I'm about to cry tears of joys. I've been waiting for 23 years!!

  A good 3 minutes was spent by yours truly who trashed about on the cool, silky sheets before the energized and recharged me decide to get to work by first unpacking my suitcase. I'll only be here for two days but it seems too big of a waste to not use that huge wardrobe beside the bathroom. It wouldn't take me that much of a time to unpack my stuff. 

  I slide open the wardrobe door to be greeted by the sight of a suitcase that's already there. Wait.

  As I stood frozen infront of the wardrobe I hear the two-notes sound from the door as it unlocked. Before I could even blink, Jiyong had strutted into the room with his eyes closed, his hands fumbling to pull his neck tie off him.

  Wait.

  The house keeping guy wasn't here for housekeeping...? Was that when the suitcase was left in the wardrobe...?

  I CAN'T BE SHARING A ROOM WITH HIM....!

  No way!!!!!!!!!!

  Jiyong flinched and I realised that I had shrieked the last two words out instead of- well- shrieking it in my head. 

  "The last time you and I were alone in a hotel room things didn't turned out civilised." Jiyong said sacastically, making me grow pink as I remembered how I whacked him unceremoniously on the head when he brought me to a hotel because I was probably drunk enough to sleep for forty nights straight. 

  "Isn't there any other rooms?" I asked. 

  "Close your mouth, your saliva's going to drip." Jiyong commented after sparing me a judging glance. I immediately clamped my horrified, O shaped lips shut. "Our partners and us share rooms. That's how it works." 

  THAT'S HOW IT WORKS?? What does he mean 'thats how it works'?! My eyes were popping as I struggled to comprehend with the fact. As soon as Jiyong has stepped into the bathroom, I punched on Bom's number on my handphone. It clicked through after 2 rings.

  "You didn't tell me we have to share rooms with our partner." I muttered through my gritted teeth. On the other line, I could vaguely hear the two of them arguing about something... Sounds like its about who's going to get to sleep on the couch.

  "I'm sorry, I thought the Capo would've told you." Bom sniggered. "Anyways, surprises are always better if its dropped like a bomb."

  "I feel like a bomb!"

  "Chill, Dara. You're too old to be complaining about spending a night with someone of the opposite under the same roof. It's not like you have to sleep with him. Like sleep, you know, not the innocent kind..."

  "Park Bom." I warned dangerously. Hearing the tap in the bathroom switched on, I immediately changed the topic. "Are you going anywhere?"

 "Shopping, I guess, care to join?"

  "No." I grimaced. Really, my best friend is the type of person who'd take a plane all the way to Jeju and then decide to go shopping as if she can't do that in Seoul. "I'm going sight seeing."

  "The mozzies, Dara baby, think about the mozzies." Bom sighed on the other end. "Suit yourself. Have fun."

  "I will." I hissed back.

   Sigh, I guess I'll worry about the accommodation issue when I'm back. 

  I dug out my notebook from my sling bag. In it contains my research of the places that I want to visit and the many routes to get there. The good thing about Jeju is that there's buses linking to almost everywhere on the island. Since the Dinner Gala is tomorrow night, I guess I have the whole afternoon and the evening to tick off my travel checklist.

  Time to kick start Dara's Jeju adventures! Woohoo!!

 


  [-]

 

  Jiyong stepped out of the bathroom with his hair damp just as the main room door closed shut quietly. Perplexed, he dragged himself to the door and looked out of the peephole to see Park skipping merrily towards the lift. A subconscious smile broke out on his lips as he stared at her antics. But where on earth is she going by herself? She can't be heading for the Traid's turf again, can she?

  Quickly, the Capo made a call to clear himself from all of his schedule for the rest of the day before leaving the room to trail the girl, armed with only his handphone and billfold. The lift with Dara inside has already descended. Jiyong folded his arms as he locked his eyes intently on the tiny screen on top of the elevator displaying the floors that the lift is passing by. Much to his relief, the lift didn't stop by any of the Traid's floors and went straight for the lobby.

  Jiyong reached the lobby himself just in time to see the girl make a right turn outside the lobby. He cursed under his breath before catching up to her, leaving just enough distance for her to not notice him. He doesn't even know why he's doing this. The boys are in the Casino and he's bound to win at least a thousand if he joins them, yet he's here playing the Tom and Jerry game by himself.

  Dara sat down at the bus stop and fanned herself under the hot sun. She craned her neck to check if her bus is arriving, oblivious that Jiyong is leaning against the opposite side of the advertisement board behind her with his hand abover his squinting eyes which flickers occasionally to the convex road mirror.

  "I'm just bored..." Jiyong mutters under his breath, plucking a wild dandelion off the grass in front of him. 

  The mobster, now dressed down and looking like any other ordinary boy with his hair damp and framing on his face managed to get onto the seat behind the girl wihout her discovery, for she was busy with her notebook. What a nerd. Jiyong thought, beginning to enjoy being a ghost to her. But somewhere deep in his mind, he thought about how unaware she would be if there were to be someone stalking her. A part of him constricted, making it hard for him to think, and he shut that strangely unbearable thought out of his head, keeping in mind to chastise her later on for being so unobservant of her surroundings. 

  Dara, equipped with her fully charged camera, started to snap away at the scenery outside the window. Jeju is different to Seoul in terms of how there's so much more floral and fauna here. The lack of high rise buildings and concrete is like a fresh breath of air.

  Suddenly, it hits her that she didn't even tell Jiyong that she's going out. Would he fly into a rage if he finds her missing? What if he flips the hotel upside down to find her? Nah, why would he go to that extend? Is she screwed when she gets back? She immediately started to fumble for her phone before dropping a him a quick text.

  Behind her, the boy's phone vibrated in her side pocket and he pulled it out only to see a message from Dara.

 

I'm so sorry I forgot to tell you!! I went sight seeing!! Please don't be mad.

 

  Grinning at the message, Jiyong glanced up at Dara who's now staring nervously out of the window. Hah, this is fun.

 

You're dead when you come back.

 

  He hits the send button and slid down his seat to wait for her reaction. Dara's face visibly pales at the reply and she muttered a string of insults mainly directed to her own forgetfulness, just loud enough for Jiyong who's two rows behind her, to hear.

 

  The bus finally arrived at Dara's destination and she got off the bus, unaware of her stalker. The Capo crinkled his nose under the sun and surveyed the place around him. A patch of hot, scorched sand covers the floor and a village lays ahead surrounded by an ancient-looking rock wall. He almost rolled his eyes. Of course. Seongup Folk Village. A must-go for all kitsch tourists. Mainstream. He thought.

  But Dara was more than happy to be on her own healing tour. In awe, she stepped into the village, poking her head into various straw huts and stopping by every little stall she sees. Unable to find the heart to refuse the elderly vendors, she's already carrying a small jar of jeju honey, a pack of crackers and a few traditional ornaments here and there. 

  There was a small cart selling maltose candy of all colours, halting Dara in her tracks a small distance away from it. The candies look so good! But she's almost out of cash with all the specialities that she bought. Maybe next time.

  The place is almost deserted, resembling a mini ghost town. No one but a few lives in the village anymore. The empty homes were put up for a show, trying to show tourists the way of life in the past. There's also a lonesome game station for visitors to try some traditional games. Dara was about to approach it when a small hand tapped on the side of her thigh.

  She looked down to see a small boy holding out a maltose candy for her, himself on another. 

  Bewildered, Dara took the candy from the young, local kid. "For me?" She asked, perplexed.

  The toddler nodded, his huge, round eyes twinkling cutely before he ran away.

  Strange. Dara thought. Must be the vendors thanking her.

  The little boy had disappeared round the corner and halted his steps in front of a much older hyung.

  "Did you pass it to her?" The older boy asked, raising a brow.

  The child nodded the same nod he gave to the girl, his hand outstretched.

  "What did she say?" 

  The child shrugged his chubby shoulders, his hand still raised.

  The older man places a piece of penny in the boy's hand. "Keep it in your pocket. Hyung already brought you one, don't get more, your teeth's gonna rot." 

  The boy nodded, but promptly ran off to the candy cart again.

  "Punk." Dara's stalker shook his head, before turning his sight back ahead. Dara is now trying to engage herself in a game of gonggi (traditional korean pebble game) ,with the stick of candy popped in . He sighed, folding his arm on his chest and leaned himself on the wall. He was waiting for her to realise him so that he gets to enjoy that hilarious, horrified look on her face but this is taking too long. She seems so used to being alone.

  "Aish." Dara snapped at herself, failing miserably at the game. She had barely picked up her second pebble when the first one landed on the wooden table. 

  Determined to get it right, she reached out for her nth try when another hand reached for the the stones on the table. She blinked at the small, but distinct dragon tattoo on the side of the hand's ring finger before snapping her head up in shock, her heart almost skipping a beat.

  True enough, somehow Jiyong has succeeded in the art of teleportation once again. With his eyes fixed on the stones, he simply said,

  "Watch."

  With hanging open at his sudden appearance, she watched as he flings all five rocks into the air at the same time with a light, upward flick of his wrist. His other hand swiftly swiped across the air before he brought it down to the tabletop, with his fist closed. All five rocks were lying back in the same, perfect way as they have been when he opened his palm. 

  "How did you.." Dara blabbered, pointing her finger limply at the boy. "But you were showering.."

  "I'm here to carry out your death sentence for leaving unnotified." The young mobster laughed softly and flicked her forehead. It feels good now that he's no longer an invisible man. "Where to next?"

  

  The two ended up at Udo Beach by early evening. Jiyong hasn't been here before despite having travelled to Jeju for so many times before. The internet has named this one of the best spots on the small island for its beauty, and the beach did not disappoint. The long stretch of coastal line is covered by white, fine sand mingled with large, black pieces of gravel. Unlike the main beaches on Jeju that are more popular, people were scarce here, which highlighted the unearthly scenery here. Soft sea breezes ran through the two tourists' hair, ruffling them up. 

  Dara marvelled at the crashing waves in front of her, excitedly kicking off her sandles and dropping her sling bag on the sand. The best way to enjoy nature is always to do it barefoot. 

  "Isn't there better places to go to? Like the Love Land..." Jiyong yawned, his suggestion almost tripping Dara head first into the sand. 

  Why would he want to go to Love Land???

  Catching the astonished look on Dara's face, Jiyong's lips tugged upwards.

  "Tsk tsk tsk, looks like you've searched it up, sneaky." 

  "I DID NOT!" Dara said loudly, going into a deep tint of pink. "You're the ert here."

  The Capo grinned and said no more, following behind the girl with his arms folded across his chest. It's funny. He had wasted the entire day doing almost nothing, except that it didn't really felt like a waste. 

  "These are wishing rocks." Dara whispered, her steps halting in front of a small, grassy patch where piles of small rocks were carefully stacked into heaps of towers by past visitors. "Every stone here represents a wish that was made. It's said that the towers wouldn't collapse until all the wishes on the rocks are granted." 

  "Bull." 

  Dara glared at the boy, who quickly pressed his mouth together. Hah, does she really believe in nonsense like this? But then again its Dara Park. Her frequency probably runs on a different channel than most earthlings. 

  Not letting Jiyong ruin her happy bubble, Dara came back with two small leafs and rocks, handing one set to Jiyong. 

  "What's with the leaves?" The caporegime raised his brow.

  Dara dug out a permanent marker from her sling bag in response. 

  "Lets write our wishes down and pin it between the tower with a rock." Dara piped excitedly, ignoring the massive eye roll that's coming from Jiyong. 

  She went ahead first, thinking hard about her most urgent desire. Jiyong sat down on the grass beside her and watch the girl chew at the top of the marker. He had long gotten used to that strange, frothy feeling inside him that once alarmed him. 

  Dara thought about life in Seoul. Sighh, all of her troubles would come rushing back to her once they reached the mainland again. She thought about the email she received, and jotted down her one urgent wish:

  TAKE ME IN MED SCH. I promise I'll be good to the students there!! T_T

  "There." She said, handing the marker over to Jiyong, before becoming very aware that his eyes are staring deeply at her. 

   "Why are you looking at me like that?" Dara asked, blinking away from Jiyong.

   A small smile tugged the corner of his lips upwards as he tore his eyes away from the girl and towards the sky that's now stained into a violently beautiful orange. Lazily, he grabbed the marker that she's reaching out to him.  

  "I realised something." He answered.

  "What?" Dara prodded. 

  The young Capo shrugged, crinking up his nose. "Like, you have super small eyes and your lips are kinda out of propotions."

  "Douche." Dara mumbled as she got on her feet to aggresively brush the dust off her as Jiyong broke into a small laugh. 

  The sun sets and each of them planted their wishes on a different stack. Together, they sat down on the sand and marvelled at mother nature's magic.

  Dara wished for the medical facaulty to take her in.

 

  Jiyong wished for time to stop.

 


In case you didn't know what Jeju's LOVE LAND is:

Jeju Loveland (제주러브랜드) (also known as Love Land) is an outdoor sculpture park which opened in 2004 on Jeju Island in South Korea. The park is focused on a theme of , running education films, and featuring 140 sculptures representing humans in various ual positions. It also has other elements such as large phallus statues, stone , and hands-on exhibits such as a "ion-cycle." The park's website describes the location as "a place where love oriented art and ism meet."

(wikipedia)

 

YEs, these places actually exists. 

I'll spare y'all the photos, in case there's minors here 🌝

 

Here's a photo of Jeju's staked rocks

Image result for stacked rocks jeju