EIGHT

Make U Proud
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hanbin nervously scanned the final ranking posted on the announcement board with the rest of their fellow senior students, who were searching for their names as well. “ YAH! You didn’t have to push me.” He snapped at a lanky boy who was also searching for his name. The boy smiled at him in return, “ I already found my name and rank. “ The boy replied as he stepped out of the crowd, which made the others push Hanbin further at the back. 

“ Aisht!” He pulled on his hair, then looked at Jaewon, who was leaning against the wall, with his hands tucked in his pocket, smiling like there’s nothing to worry about.

“ How can you be smiling at a time like this?” He asks.

“ First, I am not pressured with my grades or ranking.” Jaewon pushed himself off the wall then walked towards Hanbin and placed his arms around his shoulder, “ Plus me, Hayi and Dara were here before school even started to help the theatre club,” He pulled out his phone and handed it to Hanbin, showing a photo of their ranks. 


His eyes went round as he saw their names : 

RANK 1 : PARK SANDARA

RANK 2 : OH SEHUN

RANK 10 : LEE HAYI

RANK 23 : JUNG JAEWON

RANK 28 : KIM HANBIN


He let out a sigh of relief. Who would have thought that from rank 98 he’ll go up to rank 28? Hanbin and Jaewon high-fived as they walked to their classroom.

“ Where’s Dara by the way?” He asked Jaewon as he took a sit in front of Hayi, with Jaewon sitting right beside her.

“ She went out. She said she has an important appointment today.” Hayi answered, not bothering to look at either of them for she was busy sewing the finishing touches on her costume.

Hanbin frowned after hearing what Hayi just mentioned. He went near her, “ With whom?” He asked. Hayi just answered by shrugging her shoulder.

Later that night…

“ Hanbin,” his father called his attention, “ Come to my room.”

Hanbin looked at his mom, confused to why his dad wants to talk to him. All he got was a small shrug and a gentle push for him to go. 

“ Sit. “ His father gestured at the vacant chair in front of his office table. “ Don’t you have anything to say to me? “ His father asked. Hanbin recalled all the activities he did for the past week. 

“ By the way, “ His father called his attention just as his mom entered, with a bouquet and cake that has “ CONGRATULATIONS ON MAKING RANK 28 HANBIN “  written. Hanbin gave both his parents a big smile, proud of what he was able to achieve, then he realized that he haven’t told any of them about his ranking.

“ Did our principal, Mr. Byun, call or did you visit school earlier?”  He asks both of his parents. Mr. Kim shook his head as he sat back, “ We received a call from Dara earlier, she wanted to have tea with us, and that was when she showed us the official ranking. “ Mr. Kim explains. 

“ She’s a very sweet girl Hanbin,” His mom chimes in as she served both Hanbin and his dad each a slice of cake. “ Don’t tell her we told you, but she returned the money your dad paid her to teach you.” 

Hanbin raised his eyebrow from what he heard, “ She did what? “ 

Hanbin’s mom approached him, and gently pat his cheeks, “ She returned the money your father gave her. She said that seeing your rank go up was enough. “ He turned to his dad to see his reaction. Mr. Kim was smiling as he nods his head in agreement. “ I know they need the money but she insisted that we take it back. She said that she has enough part time job to make ends meet. “

“ That stupid girl. “ Hanbin blurted out. “ Hanbin my dear, watch your mouth. “ His mom warned him. He knew that Dara needed money more than anyone, but for her to return in that easily? 

“ Hanbin.” His father called his attention. “ Yes dad?”

“ Don’t ever lose her.” 

 

 

“ Yah! Stop laughing! “ Hanbin raises his fist as Jaewon, Hayi and Dara kept laughing at him. He was currently wearing a wig, a dress and a pair of wings as part of his costume. 

Jaewon placed his hand on top of Hanbin’s shoulder as he continued to laugh. “  Green suits you. “


The theatre club decided to go with Sleeping Beauty for this year’s home coming celebration. Hanbin originally was just another knight in the background, but the girl who was supposed to play as the green fairy suddenly backed out because of a family emergency. Being the best friends that they are, Hayi, Jaewon, and Dara all volunteered Hanbin to their Drama coach without his knowledge.

It was the day before the play, and for their last practice, everyone had to wear their costumes except for Dara. “ My costume’s still not here. “ She explains. 

After practice, Dara receives a message from Hanbin, asking her to meet him at the playground near their apartment.

“ Yah! Kim Hanbin, what do you want?”  Dara shouts at Hanbin’s direction as she sees him sitting by the slide, his legs stretched out.

Hanbin signaled her to get closer with a hither motion, just as she was a few feet near him, he suddenly signals her to stop. 

“ Close your eyes. “ He tells Dara.

Dara let out a gasp as she crossed her arms over her chest. Hanbin smirked as he saw her reaction, “ Yeah Park, as if I’ll do anything funny to you. “

“ Just close your eyes okay. “ He tells her one last time.

Dara glared at Hanbin before she closed her eyes. 

A few seconds has passed and she hasn’t heard or felt anything from Hanbin. She was about to open her eyes when she heard Hanbin’s voice, “ I knew you’d try to cheat.”

“ I’m just by your side. Keep your eyes closed. “ He tells her again, but this time he took her hand in his and guided her to walk forward. “ Stop. “ Hanbin instructs her as he let go of her hand. “ Okay, open your eyes slowly.” 

Dara followed what Hanbin instructed, in front of her stood Hanbin, with a box of cupcake in one hand, a single stemmed rose on the other. “ Congratulations Sandara! “ He tells her as he gave his gifts to Dara. He then turned his back and dug in his bag then pulled out sparklers for both of them. Surprise will be an understatement to Dara’s reaction. She never thought that Hanbin would go through all this trouble just to celebrate her ranking. 

“ Don’t go tearing up on me Dara. “ Hanbin tells her as he laughed at the expression on her face. “ Thank you for patiently teaching me. Without you, I think I’ll be stuck at rank 98. “ 

Dara slapped Hanbin by the shoulder, “ Oh come on. Give yourself some credits. All I did was guide you. “ Dara smiles as she saw the smile that Hanbin had on his face. “ Oh yeah, I have another gift for you.” Hanbin once again grabbed his bag and this time, he took out a wrapped box and handed it to her. Dara opened the box, only to reveal that Hanbin got her the same mobile phone that he has. “ But Hanbin, I can’t accept this. “ She tried to push the phone back to Hanbin. 

Hanbin pouted as he s the phone back to her. “ It’s a gift. What you did for me is more expensive than that phone you know.” 

Dara bit her lower lip, too embarrassed to accept the gift. But seeing the determined look on Hanbin’s face left her with no choice. “ Thank you. “ Was the only thing she can say next.

“ Come on, let’s go to the store to have your card upgraded. I bet your card is so old it will not fit the phone. “ 


At the store…

“ I can’t believe you’ve had that number for almost 10 years now. Your phone is so ancient. “ Hanbin jokes.

Dara stuck out her tongue as she inspected her new phone. She suddenly grabs Hanbin by his ear to bring him closer to her as she took their photo. Dara rev

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter