Chapter 6

Choice.

SSANGMUN-DONG ALLEY – MARCH 1994

“Go away and get your filthy hands of me.” Deok Sun screamed at Junghwan who had gripped her arms, pleading for a chance so that he can explain to her the whole situation. “Deok Sun, please. Listen to me.” Junghwan pleaded harder, his voice filled with desperation.

“There is no need for explanation. I clearly saw you acting all chummy with your so called “superior”.” Deok Sun shouted between her tears. “I trusted you again and again and this is how you repay me?” Feeling frustrated, Junghwan tightened her grip on her arms and sternly said, “Don’t act like you have never acted that way with other guys.”

“Who? Which guy?” Deok Sun replied. “Choi Taek! You are always hugging him, linking arms and touching him. Who knows what you both have been doing behind my back!” Junghwan protested. In return, he got a tight slap from Deok Sun.

“It’s over. We are done.” Deok Sun stomped off but before she entered the gate, she turned around and looked at Junghwan with disgust. “How could you bring Taek into this again? He is your friend, our friend.”

With that sentence, he stopped in his tracks and watched Deok Sun stomped off. He knew that this time, it was really over. He had lost in the end. Junghwan boarded his jeep and drove off, saying goodbye to his first love and the memories they shared.

BADUK CENTRE

“Taek.”

 I was packing my stuff and was prepared to leave until I heard a familiar voice call my name. Deok Sun stood at the door, her eyes red. She must have cried again. “It’s over.”

“Huh?” I was confused, what did she mean by over. “It’s over between me and Junghwan.” “Ohh” was all I could say in return. I instantly regretted when I said that, Deok Sun must have thought that I was indifferent to her plight. However, her response was totally unexpected. She gave a little smile. Acting quickly to rectify my mistakes, I immediately showered her with concerns. Pulling a chair for her, I urged for her to sit as I dragged another chair and sat beside her.

“What happened?” I carefully asked, not wanting to trigger her emotional side. She calmly explained the whole situation to me which left me in shock. I’ve couldn’t believe that Junghwan was jealous of my intimacy with Deok Sun. “But shouldn’t he know that we have always behaved in this way ever since young?” I asked back. “Yes, he did know but he just couldn’t accept it. He thought that I was betraying him with you.”

“Really?” was all I could say in response. A quick wave of guilt hit me. I couldn’t help but think that I was the cause of their break-up. Interrupting my thoughts, I felt Deok Sun icy hand on mine. “Taek, I know what you’re thinking. You’re are not the reason for our break-up”. I was amazed by the fact that she understood what was on my mind but I was more worried about her icy cold hands. “Your hands are cold.” I murmured as I reach into my pocket, take out my pair of gloves and put it on Deok Sun. “Let’s get out this place and get some fishcakes. I’m hungry.” I pouted, hoping it would cheer her up. Noticing my pout, she let out a laugh and agreed to get fishcakes together.

SSANGMUN-DONG ALLEY

We walked in silence together in the chilly weather where only our footsteps and the sound of Deok Sun eating her ice-cream can be heard.

“This is so good.” Deok Sun exclaimed as she her banana ice-cream. Noticing there was a small stain at the edge of her lips, I used my finger and wipe it off for her. Deok Sun smiled at me before continuing to eat her ice-cream as if everything was back to normal.

However, I know that’s not true. Her eyes had betrayed her – it showed signs of pain and sadness. I halted my footsteps. “Why are you stopping?” Deok Sun, who was in front of me looked at me with confusion. Opening my arms, I mouthed the words, “Come here.” Instantly, I felt stupid and embarrassed as I noticed Deok Sun standing there, looking shocked, her feet firmly rooted to the ground. There was certainly no way that Deok Sun would hug another guy especially since she had just broken up.

Unexpectedly, I was wrong. She finished her ice-cream cone and walked straight into my arms. Stunned momentarily, I wrapped my arms around her, comforting her as her tears began to pour out, wetting my jacket. “It’s hurts Taek-ah” she whimpered. In response, I did the only thing I could do. I hugged her even tighter.