Chapter 3

Choice.

Chapter 3A

BADUK CENTRE – DECEMBER 1993

“Breaking News! Flight 103 that was due to arrive in Incheon from Tokyo at 1050 KST has lost contact with air traffic controls. It’s unsure whether the plane has crashed at this moment. Flight 103 was carrying 150 passengers including 8 crew. Stay tuned for more updates.”

Taek rushed out from the training room and headed straight for his car. He couldn’t believe this had happened. He was extremely flustered and the fact that he couldn’t start the engine added to his frustration. Cursing at the stubborn engine, he finally managed to start off the car and sped off to the airport. Making a silent prayer, he prayed that Deok Sun wasn’t on that flight after hearing from his worried manager that his girlfriend was on the same flight. No, no, no, this can’t be happening.

Slotting messily into a carpark, he rushed out of his car and made his way to the desk of the airline that Deok Sun worked for. The staff were clearly shocked by the appearance and behaviour of the Master Choi Taek. Gone was the calm and cool Choi Taek, instead it was the frustrated and desperate Choi Taek. “Is Sung Deok Sun on the flight? Is she on the flight?” Taek repeatedly screamed at the staff, hoping that she will say “No”.

Appalled by his behaviour, the staff urged Taek to calm down and told him that at this moment, there is no confirmation on who were the passengers or crew members onboard the plane. Unfortunately, it was to no avail. Taek repeatedly screamed that same phrase between his already flowing his tears. It had also attracted the unwanted attention of the other passengers wondering why the famous Choi Taek was behaving in such a manner.

CHAPTER 3B

INCHEON INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT – ARRIVAL GATE

Deok Sun walked out of the arrival gate with her fellow colleagues with the word “worried” splashed over their face. They were lucky that they boarded an earlier flight due to a change in schedule. “I hope nothing happens to Yujin and the rest of the crew.” said one of her colleagues. Deok Sun solemnly nodded and prayed silently for the crew on the flight. Walking towards the exit, she saw there was an commotion at her airline desk. She could hear a man screaming at the staff and as she walked closer, she realised that it was her name that was being shouted. That man was none other than Taek.

Feeling confused, she headed towards the desk. “Taek?”

In that instant, Taek turned around, tears flowing down as he looked at her. The next thing she knew, Taek had dashed up to her, pulling her into a tight embrace. Between his sobs, she heard him whisper, “Thank god. I thought I lost you. Thank god.” over and over again. Deok Sun smiled and wrapped her arms around Taek and patted his back. “I’m fine Taek. I’m fine.” They stood there in each other arms for a while amongst the relived crowd that has gathered.

INSIDE TAEK’S CAR

“Stop staring at me Taek-ah, I can’t concentrate on driving if you continue to do so. It’s also your fault that I have to drive because in your current situation, I don’t think you can drive at all.” Deok Sun complained to a puffy eyed Taek. “I just had to make sure.” Taek simply replied in a soft tone that was filled with relived. When the car stopped at the right light, Deok Sun turned around and looked at Taek. She noticed how his puffy eyes were focused on her intently like how he did during Baduk matches. His face was tired and his voice was hoarse (from all that screaming). At this point, she felt touched and guilty. She realised she hadn’t protected Taek which she swore to do so ever since young. Taking his hand, she gave him a comforting squeeze, looked into his eyes and assured to him that everything was alright. It was as if they could talk through their eyes – Taek returned an assuring squeeze.

As if they were fated, both of their stomached grumbled at the same time, causing the both of them to laugh. “Let’s go grab something to eat.” Deok Sun said to Taek who responded by flashing his charming smile.

Deok Sun stepped on the accelerator and drove off, their hands still clasped together.


“Breaking News! Flight 103 has safely landed at Incheon International Airport at 1245KST, two hours after it was reported that the plane had lost communication with air traffic control staff. All 150 passengers including 8 crews are accounted for. Stay tuned for more updates.”


CHAPTER 4 PREVIEW:

SSANGMUN-DONG ALLEY – DECEMBER 1993

Taek pushed Deok Sun carry-on as they reached Ssangmun-Dong after their lunch. Both of them walked in silence, their footsteps in sync. “I’m sorry, Taek for making you worried.” Deok Sun guilty said. Halting his footsteps, Taek turned and faced Deok Sun. Holding her arms, he pulled her in for an embrace. “I’m sorry too for scaring you. I just can’t imagine my life without you.” Taek whispered, as he held her closer and tighter, wanting to ensure that this was not a dream.