Chapter 5

Choice.

INSDIE TAEK’S ROOM

Hearing no response after knocking his door, I carefully made my way into his room. Taek eyes were closed, arms folded as he slept in a crouch position probably due to the extremely cold weather. Sighing, I took his blanket and gently lay it over him and sat beside him. Looking at the sleeping Taek, my mind wandered off to the conversation I had earlier with Mr Lee.

Flashback

“Why are you looking for him?” I asked curiously.

“Taek was scheduled to have a match this afternoon. However, he did not show up which was extremely surprising. Earlier today, he suddenly rushed out from a practice session which was very unlike him.” Deok Sun was speechless. Taek had just abandoned another match for her again.

“He left his pager here and I couldn’t him. I tried calling his house but no one answered, so in the end I called you. I’m glad that he is resting, he hasn’t had any sleep for the past two days.”

“Please do take care of him Deok-Sun. He is a precious kid.” Mr Lee added.

“Yes, I will. I will get Taek to call you back when he awake. Goodbye.”

his hair, I couldn’t help but stare at Taek’s features – it was well defined. He was truly a gorgeous man. However, underneath that beauty, there was also signs of fatigue – his heavy eye bags, cracked lips and dried skin. At this point, a sudden realization dawned upon me. Despite his fatigue, he still made his way to the airport to be assured that I was safe and sound. At the same time, he gave up one of the most important thing in his life for me – Baduk.

My safety was more important than his tiredness.

I was more important to him than Baduk.

To him, I was always the priority, the number 1 in his heart.

Memories of how his little actions towards me came flashing back to me.

When I was sick, he gave me medicine.

When I was down, he was there for me.

When I was hungry, he would always buy me food.

When I requested for a souvenir, he gave me his trophy.

He was always there for me when I need him.

I am his treasure.

Still reeling in from that sudden realization, I noticed that it was almost 7pm, I stood up, stared at the sleeping Taek for the last time, making a mental note to bring dinner for him later.

“Why are you doing all this for me Taek?” I said  before I exited the room.

OUTSIDE JUNGHWAN HOUSE

“Deok Sun ah”

Junghwan stood there. In his hand, he held a bouquet of roses.

“I’m sorry for today. I don’t what got over me. Please don’t be angry at me.” he pleaded, his voice filled with desperation.

Despite his pleas, I see no sense of remorse in his eyes and sighed. Mistaking my sigh as an indication for forgiveness, he walked towards and embraced me. “Thank you. I promise it won’t happen again.” he whispered.

Unlike Taek’s hug, this one felt empty and emotionless.

From this point onwards, I knew that things was about to go downhill for us.

INSIDE TAEK’S ROOM

“BANG!”

Taek opened his eyes. His eyes lingered on the door that was just closed.

“Because I like you Deok Sun. I have like you ever since we were kids.”



CHAPTER 6 PREVIEW

SSANGMUN-DONG ALLEY – MARCH 1994

“Go away and get your filthy hands of me.” Deok Sun screamed at Junghwan who had gripped her arms, pleading for a chance so that he can explain to her the whole situation. “Deok Sun, please. Listen to me.” Junghwan pleaded harder, his voice filled with desperation