Chapter 4

Choice.

A/N: There will be a double chapter update today! Thank you for the continuous support!


SSANGMUN-DONG ALLEY – DECEMBER 1993

Taek pushed Deok Sun carry-on as they reached Ssangmun-Dong after their lunch. Both of them walked in silence, their footsteps in sync. “I’m sorry, Taek for making you worried.” Deok Sun guilty said. Halting his footsteps, Taek turned and faced Deok Sun. Holding her arms, he pulled her in for an embrace. “I’m sorry too for scaring you. I just can’t imagine my life without you.” Taek whispered, as he held her closer and tighter, wanting to ensure that this was not a dream.

Deok Sun felt her heart pumping faster as Taek said the last sentence. Every time they embraced, she couldn’t help but enjoy how comfortable it was to be in Taek’s arms. He was so warm, comforting and protective. She felt as if she was complete. Unknowingly, Deok Sun has wrapped her arms around him, like it was the most natural thing to do.

“Deok Sun.”

Pulling away from Taek, Deok Sun turned and noticed an angry-looking Junghwan, his eyes buring with jealousy. “Junghwan...” Deok Sun stammered between her words, “I thought you were supposed to be in the base.” “I was. Can we talk?” Junghwan emotionlessly said as he motioned for Deok Sun to go to him.

“Get going, I’m going back to rest.” Taek said as he waved goodbye to Junghwan who ignored him.

OUTSIDE DEOK SUN & JUNGHWAN HOUSE

“Why are you hugging with Taek?! I came home from an important function just to see you hugging with Taek?!” Junghwan exclaimed. Unable to look into his eyes, all I did was to murmur an apology. “Do you know how important that function was?” he further complained indicating that he had potentially lost his chance of getting a promotion. “Are you betraying me with Taek?”

With that last sentence, I exploded. “Promotion, Air Force that’s all you ever care about.” Instead of asking me are you alright, you are blaming me for having an affair with Taek. TAEK? YOUR CHILDHOOD FRINED!” Alarmed by my explosion, “He’s not my childhood friend anymore. He’s just a bastard who stole my girlfriend.” he further retaliated.

“How could you say that of Taek?” I retorted. “My oh my, are you defending your boy now?” Junghwan added. Unable to accept any more nonsense from Junghwan, I took my carry-on and headed straight for the basement.

“You’re such a disgrace, unlike Taek.”

INSIDE DEOK SUN ROOM

I sank to the floor immediately, crying uncontrollably. How could Junghwan said such bad things about someone who has gone through thick and thin with him. What a bastard.

“Ring ring”

Realising the phone rang, I wiped my tears and calmed myself down.

“Hello?”

“Hello. Is this Deok Sun? I’m Mr Lee, Taek Baduk teacher. Perhaps, is Master Choi Taek with you?”

“No, Taek is at home resting. Why are you looking for him?”

“Ahh,, that’s great. You see..”

After the conversation ended, I grabbed my coat and headed for Taek’s house.