Chapter 2

Color Me Into Your World

 

DEPARTURE

 

 

It’s been a while Hana has drove. It wasn’t such a long time ago that she had forgotten where’s the wheel and which pedal she should press at times but there was an odd feeling in her chest as she was maneuvering between vehicles on the main road. She wanted to go faster but she couldn’t.

 

She had an idea where Kris could have gone… but first and foremost, she had to check if he has left home at all.

 

Kris lived in the outer part of the city. No matter how hard Hana and Victoria were trying to convince him it’d be better to resident closer to the centre, he has insisted on a peaceful, quiet neighborhood.

 

It was quiet and peaceful too when Hana parked the car in front of the two-storey house.

 

She went up the few stairs which led to the front door and rang the bell. Nobody came to answer the door. Hana tried again but just like previously, only the continuous ringing could be heard from the other side of the door.

 

Hana sighed and lifted a hand to the door lock. After making sure there is nobody in the area, she entered four numbers and the door opened with a thud.

 

When Kris was just a beginner, he had taken his fair share of nightlife. Several times one of the two women had to fetch him and tuck him in. After the third time it happened, Hana easily remembered the code… It was still illegal nonetheless. This is not her home and Kris has never given her the permission to enter when she feels like. Even so, Hana stepped into the house confidently. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

 

Kris wasn’t in the living room, in the kitchen or bathroom. Hana went upstairs while trying to call him again. She had found his phone ringing on the bed he usually sleeps in.

 

The bed sheets were ruffled and a bunch of clothes were thrown across the pillow. Wherever Kris went, he had left in a hurry.

 

Hana sat down onto the bed frustrated. This is not good. Kris is responsible and reasonable. This goes against everything he is.

 

The ring of her own phone pulled Hana out of worrying. She reached for the device with hope but the incoming call had come from someone else.


“Unnie?”

 

“Yes, it’s me.” Victoria said at the other end of the line. Her voice was laced with sadness. “Are you in the house?”

 

“He’s gone but he had left everything here. His phone, his clothes… even his wallet.” Hana listed upset. “Has he had said anything about this to you? Like, hasn’t he mentioned it a few days ago or looked like something’s troubling him?”

 

Kris is under Victoria’s caring gaze and guidance. If someone knows about a change in his behavior, it’s her.

 

“He didn’t seem more stressed than other times.” The woman explained. “He has a photoshoot in Venice in five days and he was busy getting ready for an upcoming fashion show too… but he looked just fine to me. How was he to you?”

 

“I saw him yesterday. We had a try-on… I had a meeting afterwards. It didn’t last longer than an hour…”

 

Hana closed her eyes for a second to think. With how chaotic her life has been for months, remembering such a detail proved to be a hard task. She felt bad. Kris is an important friend. She should know without effort what is going on with him.

 

She stood up in frustration and started to pace around the room.

 

“If something was wrong, he would have said it, right? Kris is not the type to worry us over nothing. He’s honest. If he was in trouble –“

 

“Hana? Are you there?”

 

Hana ignored Victoria’s calling and stepped closer to the frame she has caught from the corner of her eyes a moment ago.

 

It was a picture of them. Kris was standing in the middle with a breathtaking smile on his face, his hair neatly combed, makeup untouched. He had his arms around Victoria in a red dress and Hana herself with her head on his shoulder. In front of them Kyungsoo, Baekhyun and Jongdae were squatting. From the sides, Sehun and Kai framed the picture. Zitao was lying in front of all of them, on the ground, striking his usual underwear model pose.

 

It was taken after Kris’ first show. They were all happy and ready to celebrate his success at the after party.

 

Now the picture was lying on the wooden floor, the glass cracked at several places.

 

Hana has seen the picture once or twice when she was up in the house. It used to stand on a table, next to a vase. Kris has cherished it because there was never one inch of dust on the frame and its glass was always shining clean.

 

Hana picked up her phone previously left on the bed.

 

“Victoria unnie.”

 

“Where were you? What’s wrong?”

 

“I… I think I know where he had gone.”

 

“Really? And where is he?”

 

“I’ll look for him. Please, you just wait from me at the company.”

 

“But Hana –“

 

The girl ended the call and exited the house. She made sure the door is locked then got back into the car.

 

It’s been a while she has driven but now she was driving as fast as she could.

 

 

 

* * * * *

 

 

“Come on, Tao. Spit it out.”

 

The Chinese man looked up from his phone with a tired expression.

 

“I’ve thought we’re finished, Sehun.”

 

“We are. This matter on the other hand is not.” The blonde man cleared it out strictly. “Where is Kris? Don’t tell me you have no idea. Tell us the truth.”

 

The atmosphere in the meeting room was uptight to say the least. Victoria and Tiffany were speaking in hushed whispers and wouldn’t stop looking at their phones. Kyungsoo, who had arrived after he has seen Hana dashing down the stairs, was trying to make Baekhyun and Jongdae speak and explain what’s going on. Most of the models went for a coffee break after they were told that the meeting will be delayed but Jongin has stayed. He remained seated next to Sehun, occasionally giving a comforting squeeze to the latter’s arm.

 

Zitao narrowed his eyes at the scene.

 

“Just look around. Everybody is busy with their own things. It wouldn’t be different if Kris was here. He would sit next to me in silence, without one person looking for his company.”

 

“Please, stop implying it’s because of us.” Jongin looked at him. “We like hyung. He’s part of our team. He’s our friend.”

 

“Tsk, keep saying that to yourself if that calms you down.”

 

Jongdae overheard the conversation and thought it’s time to meddle.

 

“What’s the matter, boys?”

 

“No change compared to the last half of an hour. Everybody is playing the victim still. Jongin is hanging off Sehun’s arm and by now Kris has probably made the deal of his life.”

 

Hearing the last bit of Zitao’s sentence the people in the room abruptly stopped talking and gathered back around the table.

 

“What do you mean?” Tiffany asked.

 

The model laced his fingers behind his neck with a relaxed laugh.

 

“Whoa, you all are really stupid.”

 

“The only stupid person around here is you.” Victoria came up with a serious face and stood next to his client. Besides Kris, Tao was the other model the woman has taken care of. “Stop dancing on our nerves and tell us finally what you know. Now.”

 

Zitao let out a big sigh.

 

“That’s not my task.”

 

“Tao.” Kyungsoo growled in the corner.

 

“But really, Kris will tell you if things are settled. Until then what I’ve heard is just groundless rumor.”

 

Baekhyun furrowed his eyebrows.

 

“What kind of rumor are you talking about?”

 

“There is a rumor going around between models lately.” Sehun spoke up in a restrained voice. “They say Blanc & Eclare will debut a new model soon.”

 

Victoria paled hearing the news. She has heard of it too. She has even discussed it with Kris. The latter had no comments.

 

“They wouldn’t pull the same trick again.” Jongdae shook his head. “The Jung heiress is daring but isn’t shameless.”

 

“She’s the very definition of shameless. You all remember last time, don’t you? She didn’t even send a notice just put Lu Han on her runway like he was a –“

 

“Baek, please.”

 

“Just like Tao has said, we better wait until Kris hyung clears this up.” Jongin shared Jongdae’s opinion. “Right, Tao?”

 

Zitao didn’t like it when the Korean man was talking to him. His pure existence was a pain in the . But he was right.

 

“Yes. Whatever happens, we’ll soon see.”

 

 

 

* * * * *

 

 

Hana arrived to Incheon around three in the afternoon.

 

She looked for the map Junmyeon has kept in the glove compartment and checked the way to the restaurant. She had to be quick if she wanted to avoid rush hour.

 

Hana bit her lip as she started the car and turned right at the end of the street.

 

The last time they were there was almost more than a year ago, during summer. Kris had just come back from an overseas trip. Hana travelled to Incheon to pick him up from the airport. They were supposed to go back to Seoul at instant – Victoria had scheduled a meeting for his client the very next day – but Kris insisted they have to stop by Chinatown. So they did.

 

“Is it like home?”

 

“Kind of.” Kris had answered Hana as they were dashing through the crowded part of the city. “This is very close to what I’ve seen in Beijing. The feeling is different though.”

 

Since Kris hasn’t had a proper meal before the long airplane ride, they visited a small restaurant called “The Wise Dragon”.

 

After they sat down and Kris had ordered for a dish Hana couldn’t even pronounce, the girl spoke up.

 

“It’s you.”

 

“What?”

 

“The Wise Dragon. It’s very you.”

 

Kris, as all the time previously, lightly blushed and avoided her eyes. Shy.

 

“I was born in the Horse’s year though.”

 

“I’m not good with the Chinese zodiac. I always mess it up. All I know is that dad and I are Roosters.” Hana said while playing with a coaster on the table. “Tell me, can a Horse and a Rooster be friends?”

 

The waiter arrived with their meals just then. Hana had to wait until they finished eating to get Kris’ answer.

 

“They can be whatever they want. This is just zodiac. It’s not set in stone and it always depends on the people in question.”

 

Hana shivered as she had caught the golden dragon sign on top of a nearby building. Kris has to be here. There is no other place he could disappear from everyone else… except her.

 

The restaurant was mildly crowded in the afternoon. Finding Kris whoever was easy as pie. He towered over everyone else with his height and shined like a jewel among the common faces.

 

Hana took a deep breath and approached his table.

 

“Hey.”

 

Kris turned around with unreadable eyes. He wasn’t wearing makeup, his dark circles were showing.

 

“You took long.”

 

He was waiting for her. Of course.

 

Hana took place to the opposite of him.

 

“You know, traffic… And you’d done quite a good job scaring everyone. Sehun and Tao had made a scene.”

 

Kris kept twirling the straw in his glass without a comment. Hana had waited for him to say something but when after minutes only the noises of the restaurant were heard, she gave up.

 

“Why didn’t you come to the meeting? I’m not here to scold you. I want to understand you.”

 

“You’ve never understood me well enough. Don’t you think it’s too late with trying?”

 

Hana gasped. Kris has never picked up a fight with her before. They’ve had arguments but those happened on a normal tone without offending each other.

 

“I can’t help but misunderstand you if you’re not honest with me.”

 

“There wasn’t one time I was insincere with you. You on the other hand…” For the first time since she had stepped in, Kris looked into Hana’s eyes. “Would it have been so hard to consider me once? To see past what I’m wearing and see who I want to be for you?”

 

Hana trembled in her seat. Kris was saying strange things… but what disturbed her even more was the fact that he keeps speaking in past tense.

 

“Kris, look –“

 

“Answer me, Hana.”

 

“I… I don’t know. I don’t understand what you’re talking about and what I have to do with you neglecting your responsibilities.” She had raised her voice a little but then quieted down. “It’s fine if you need a break. But don’t do it without notifying someone, anyone where you’re going. Just tell me next time. I don’t like you being away from me.”

 

Kris turned his eyes away and sighed. When he spoke next, he sounded bitter.

 

“You can’t stop confusing me, can you?”

 

“Well, you’re confusing me too.” Hana snorted. “Let’s have a meal and go back to Seoul. Victoria is worried sick because of you.”

 

“I’m sorry but I can’t go with you.”

 

It felt like time had stopped for a second. Hana’s eyes widened in dismay.

 

“Huh?”

 

“You’ve heard me right.”

 

“Kris, everything you have is in Seoul, you can’t just –“

 

“I’ll go back. But not with you, Hana.”

 

“Who… Who will pick you up?”

 

Kris drank a bit of his glass.

 

“That’s none of your concerns.”

 

“You’re one of my concerns. You have to let me know.”

 

“Please, stop making it more difficult than it is. The point is… I’m going back to Seoul. But I won’t go back to Hong’s House.”

 

The girl slumped in her seat. She was sweating, her head was panging. A second ago she hasn’t understood anything. Now she was getting an inkling of what’s going on and it felt even worse.

 

Hana had to literally stop herself from putting more venom in her words than it was needed.

 

“You’re looking for a new company? Nice. One more thing you’ve forgotten to mention.”

 

“There are a lot of things you’ve forgotten to tell me.” Kris chided her nonchalantly. “You have no right to speak to me like that.

 

True. Hana cleared and tried again.

 

“There is no issue which can’t be settled. Tell me, please, what has made you come to this decision. I’m sure I can solve a few problems of yours. I’ll talk to unnie and we re-schedule your activities. We’ll listen to your ideas and concerns. You can’t leave us hanging just like this, oppa. Tell me what’s wrong. I’m pleading you.”

 

She had started off official but towards the end of her speech turned to being emotional. She couldn’t help on this. Kris is important. Too important to loose.

 

But the handsome man couldn’t listen to her request. After his phone had beeped, he stood up without looking at the girl in front of him.

 

“I have to go. Take care, Hana.”

 

Hana grabbed her bag and followed him out.

 

“Kris, please.”

 

“There’s nothing you can do now. Please, make me a favor and let me go…We’ve never belonged to each other anyway.”

 

The last sentence had shot Hana right in the heart. She froze by the entrance of the restaurant and watched with glossy eyes how an expensive car with tinted glasses opened up in front of him.

 

Once Kris disappeared in the vehicle, the front window was slid down. The woman in the passenger’s seat was wearing sunglasses and a faux fur coat which covered parts of her face but Hana could recognize her voice instantly.

 

“Hi, Hana. It’s nice to meet you again.”

 

“You… how dare you?”

 

“Hey, watch what you say.” The woman, Jessica Jung, heiress of the fashion house Blanc & Eclare clicked her tongue. “We’re out in the open. There’s no need to call unwanted attention.”

 

Hana’s fingers tightened around the strap of her bag. Tears were threatening to fall but she couldn’t let the other see her in a weak state. She was just like those men in business suits, planning to remove her from the top position. She was cruel and could do anything to make her life miserable.

 

“I’m going take good care of Kris. Don’t worry about that.” Jessica continued. “Actually, I’m going to take way better care of him. I’ll make him shine. A star you’ve never could have made him into. Just sit back and watch... Put aside fabrics and pins too, while you’re at it. The rags you’re trying to live up to your father’s name with won’t make up for any loss. Bye, Hana.”

 

The car set off and was driven away as soon as it had appeared.

 

Hana leaned on the doorway. She didn’t feel the strength to walk to the borrowed car and go back to Seoul instantly. She gave way to her tears as people went in and out of the building and the golden dragon sign twitched above her head in the chilly, late September wind.

 

 

 

FIVE WEEKS LATER

 

 

“Ya, Hong Hana, I’m here!”

 

Hana stopped browsing the catalogue she had been reading and stood up from the bench to come over to the tall woman standing just at the entrance of the park in an elegant, ivory-colored swing coat and killer heels.

 

“Were you waiting for me long?”

 

“You’re fashionably late, unnie. Very you.”

 

The woman laughed and they shared a hug.

 

Hana hasn’t got to see Sooyoung a lot. The woman had become a popular runway model through the years. She’s usually spent a lot of time abroad so the two of them could only give each other a few calls when they’ve had the time.

 

Now Sooyoung was back in South Korea, back in Seoul for a relatively permanent time, because of big news.

 

“You’re what?!”

 

Sooyoung giggled as Hana grabbed her right hand to examine the magnificent diamond ring on her fourth finger.

 

“Impossible.” Hana mused. “I mean, I know it’s real, I saw it with my very eyes but… Whoa. Was it Siwon oppa?”

 

“Of course it was him.” Sooyoung rolled her eyes playfully. “He’s admitted he had a few shots before he could kneel down in front of me but it was indeed him… He called me the love of his life. I thought I’ll melt right there.”

 

Hana let go of the woman’s hand with a smile.

 

“Congratulations! I’m happy for you. You’re a really matching pair.”

 

“You think so? Thank you… We’ll marry in the spring.”

 

“You mean in five months?”

 

“Yes. We both had waited too long for this.” Sooyoung explained, not looking away from her ring. “We can never know when another job comes in the way either. As oppa has said it, we wait until the weather is more tolerable and then jump into it.”

 

Hana listened to her friend with a slightly aching heart. She has heard of the hardships Sooyoung and Siwon have had to go through. The fact that they have managed to stay together amidst all the storms seemed incredible and admirable for her at the same time.

 

“On the contrary, I don’t see any ring on your finger. Are you waiting for the one? Time is ticking. You won’t be any younger.”

 

It was Hana’s turn to roll eyes.

 

“Unnie, I’m twenty-two.”

 

“Women in old ages have had twelve children by now.”

 

“Women in old ages haven’t had to manage a fashion house.” She sighed. “I’m too exhausted. I’m so not looking for a relationship right now.”

 

“If I were you, I’d re-think that.”

 

What Sooyoung has said was intriguing. Hana looked up to her confused.

 

“Why so?”

 

Sooyoung leaned over the coffee table they were sitting at to whisper in her ear.

 

“Don’t turn around but a hot boy is looking at you ever since we’ve stepped into this café.”

 

It was supposed to be a waste to turn back. Hana seriously wasn’t looking for a chance to fall in love. On the other hand, the sound of rattling porcelain had reached her ears and it was so loud, her head practically moved on its own.

 

Amidst the scattered pieces of porcelain a boy was kneeling, trying to save what he could. Hana couldn’t see his face since he was with his back to her but she could see everything else.

 

“I’ll be back.”

 

“What?”

 

Sooyoung’s confusion had fallen on deaf ears. Hana walked away from their table to kneel next to the figure on the floor.

 

“Do you need help?”

 

“Um… It’s my job. I- I can solve this.” The boy stuttered. His voice was deep and sounded pleasant for Hana’s ears.

 

“But we could help each other.”

 

The boy turned around at the ominous suggestion. As his face came into her view, Hana almost squeaked in happiness.

 

Yep. They definitely could.

 

 

 

 

Author's Note
Kris is gone but Chanyeol is in the picture... What do you think about the former's departure? Do you understand him? Are you excited about Hana and Chanyeol's first meeting? Whatever you have to say, don't hold back and share with me your comment. I swear I won't bite. ^^

If you're interested how the story develops, subscribe.

Until next time, take care!
chloris