Chapter 11

Color Me Into Your World

 

FROM HOME

 

The bus driver took the turnoff so vehemently that it caused most of the passengers murmur in annoyance. It also caused the tall guy dozing off in the back wake up at a glance.

 

Chanyeol suppressed a yawn as he looked outside the window to check if he reached the university stop or not. He couldn’t sleep a lot yesterday. With the exams here and there and the recital coming up, he had to sacrifice some hours of sleeping and unfortunately it took a toll on him. Without Amber’s sharp poking, he would have slept through all of his lectures the week.

 

Just before he reached the stop, his phone notified him about a new message. Chanyeol opened it curiously. Could it be…?

 

Yoora
Ya Yeol-a. Don’t forget about the family dinner. Mom says no escape.

 

 

Of course not. Just her sister demanding something again.

 

 

Chanyeol
I live under the same roof as them…

 

Yoora
That has never stopped you from skipping before.

 

 

Well, that’s true.

 

Chanyeol got off the bus in front of the university and quickly typed back an answer before entering the yard.

 

 

Chanyeol
Say mom she doesn’t have to worry.
/end of conversation/

 

Yoora
Rude.

 

 

 

The campus was crowded being it around three in the afternoon. The guy strolled through the area leisurely, hands in the packets of his hoodie, hood over his head to hide his tired face. Wearing dark clothes it must have showed he’s not on his brightest day but it didn’t stop some students from staring at him as he passed by them. Chanyeol didn’t notice the attention on him until a girl bravely stepped in front of him with her phone.

 

“Hi, oppa.”

 

“Hi, Sunmi.”

 

She beamed at the right guess.

 

“I’ll be quick since you’re probably in a hurry… I need help with the guitar. Teacher Hong keeps bugging me about it. Would you be my help?”

 

It was quite an invitation. Sunmi wasn’t a queenka (and they weren’t in high school anymore) but she’s been considered quite a catch. Chanyeol knew her name because they’ve been from the same year and shared some friends. And whose he’s trying to mislead, he considers her pretty too.

 

However the study date sounded like the emphasis will be on the date part. Or at least the girl will make a move a few actual study times down and Chanyeol wasn’t sure he wants that… as in it’s a good idea to get her hopes up. He wasn’t in the mood for a relationship at the moment, or the near future.

 

“I can send you some of my notes. And if you want, I can give you my number so you can call me up with questions.”

 

Sunmi seemingly wasn’t one-hundred percent satisfied with the answer but it was still better than nothing. She typed in the numbers the guy gave him then with a promise of an early call, went back to her friends.

 

Thanks to the intermezzo, Chanyeol was a few minutes late from the cafeteria meet up Amber had made him to go.

 

“Toilet break?”

 

“’Got interrupted on the yard.” He responded before sitting down and ceremoniously snatching the sandwich their peer, Jae was about to chug down.

 

“Hey, that was chicken. You pay.”

 

Chanyeol took a bite, simultaneously reaching for his wallet in his backpocket. Jae told him off with a snort and began slurping on his soda impassively.

 

Amber grinned maliciously.

 

“Let me guess, Lee Sunmi?”

 

“Did you make her to come to me?”

 

“No but I’ve seen her lingering glances. She’s been eyeing you for what, a week?” The only girl among them pondered. “I was freaked out at first because it looked like she’s looking at me but then I caught her scrutinizing your backside and could calm down… Anyway, do you two go on a date?”

 

“I gave her my number because she’s too pretty to ignore but that’s it.”

 

“Ouch.”

 

Chanyeol was munching on the stolen sandwich thoughtfully. These were cruel words but nonetheless true. Sunmi isn’t really the type he has his eyes on. He likes girls like… Hana.

 

Just remembering her name was enough for him to put the food down bitterly. The other two saw the movement and exchanged glances.

 

“Is the chicken expired or you’ve just remembered something unpleasant?”

 

Since Chanyeol hasn’t answered Jae’s question, Amber reached for the disposed piece of wrap paper.

 

“Nope. Good for your system ‘til next year. I guess it’s the bossy girl then.”

 

“Ah, right. What was her name again? Nahee?” Jae said. “How things are going? Could you mend your heart and ask for a second chance or have you decided to it and lie in your misery a little longer?”

 

Chanyeol responded with a glare. Amber has been more action than words. She casually leaned over the table and smacked their bespectacled friend.

 

“Dude, she has like the easiest Korean name in the universe. Does Hana ring a bell? … Also, look at him. Does he look like he’s over it? Come on.”

 

“I’m sitting right between you. I’d appreciate if you didn’t talk about me like I wasn’t here.” Chanyeol deadpanned.

 

“So did you call her or not?”

 

Chanyeol shook his head.

 

Not yet. He’s been thinking about it, heck, she’s always in the back of his mind but without getting to conclusion about modeling, he didn’t want to face the girl. That would be her first question and as of now, he wouldn’t know what to say. With being in no contact now for days he’s been risking their fragile and still fresh friendship but Chanyeol didn’t know better. And on a second thought, he took this as a try. If Hana will be just as eager to see him, even after refusing to model for her and confessing, they might have a chance. If not, at least he wasn’t fooled longer.

 

“If it’s about the modeling part, face your experiences.” Amber advised. “Like did you enjoy it? It’s okay that you looked awesome but if it was awkward, you shouldn’t do it anymore. It’s totally fine if you enjoyed it though. Those who say modeling is gay are narrow-minded idiots. Don’t listen to them. Listen to your heart… I went Disney. Anyway, it’s true. If you like modeling, go for it. You might make some big cash as well.”

 

Chanyeol was afraid how the people around him will react to his sudden runway walk. As it turned out, the reputation of Hong’s House is enormous enough to reach even public universities. Much to his big surprise, they were mostly positive, maybe even supportive about it. His circle of friends was supportive at least. And students from lectures who bothered to talk to him congratulated him for being brave and… handsome. Obviously the last came from girls. He’s never lacked in popularity among his female peers but those thirty seconds had doubled the attention.

 

There were of course nonchalant people and some haters too. For example Himchan hyung, who Chanyeol has respected a lot for his talent, had told him straight finding another hobby will just take his attention away from music and will have a bad effect on his studies. One of his professors, Mr. Lee wasn’t this diplomatic with his answer. He wasn’t interested in fashion (was one of the worst dressed teachers Chanyeol has ever met actually) but heard about the show from his rather fashion-conscious wife and disapproved the try. “You won’t make it anywhere by posing like a dull monkey. Get yourself together, boy, before it’s too late”, he scoffed when the two of them ran into each other in the hall. Chanyeol has never given two cents about the teacher’s comments but the subject he was teaching unfortunately was one the students hated to excel but it was mandatory to do so. If he wanted to go on smoothly with his studies, he had act carefully around the rude man.

 

“Think of the consequences too though.” Jae added after slurping up the rest of his soda. “I don’t mean think of others’ opinion but how it will change your life. Once you step in, there’s no clear way out. The fashion industry is the worst. Trends come and go, people are famous than nobody the next second… Only do it if you really want to do it. Other factors shouldn’t matter.”

 

Chanyeol smiled gratefully hearing the useful advices.

 

“I’ll come up with something the weekend. I really shouldn’t have her waiting for my call longer.”

 

“Oh, now she’s the one waiting for you call, huh?” Amber cooed then became extremely serious. “If I was you, I’d make her wait forever. That’s what she deserves for playing with your feelings. What if she was just using you all the while, huh?”

 

It was a possibility. Chanyeol has thought of it. But at the same time, Hana’s enthusiasm about him seemed honest, not money-oriented. She has praised his appearance but hasn’t failed to see the friend in him either… That’s something. Even if all she has seen in him is a friend.

 

Chanyeol remembered the girl’s awed face after the clear indication of his intentions. That wasn’t the expression of complete rejection. Her words weren’t either. He didn’t want to lull himself into false dreams but that’s how he’s interpreted the situation. And he believed in it. He believed in them, no matter how ridiculous that sounds.

 

“He’d probably enjoy her using him. Look at that lovestruck face. I can’t wait to see the end of it.” Jae grinned before adjusting the glasses perched on his nose. “Anyway, I have band practice in ten and the guys kill me if I’m late just by a second. See you at the lounge I guess?”

 

Amber nodded.

 

“See you there. Right, Yeol?”

 

The guy snapped out of his thoughts hearing his name called. He was about to say yes but then remembered the messaging a quarter ago and pulled a face.

 

“I can’t. Urgent family dinner.”

 

Jae put on his jacket and reached for the case of his guitar.

 

“Isn’t that the one you usually skip?”

 

“Not today, sorry.”

 

“Alright, it’s your life. I’m going!”

 

After watching their friend leaving, Amber turned to Chanyeol a bit confused.

 

“I have a bad feeling about this. You do skip those family gatherings regularly. Is everything okay?”

 

Chanyeol nodded. He wouldn’t know by now how it’ll be by the end of the day… but at the moment there was nothing wrong.

 

“Yeah, don’t worry about it… Let’s go over the notes once more instead, okay? There’s a part I want to change.”

 

“Sure. Show me.”

 

 

 

* * * * *

 

 

 

The Park family lived in the suburbs of Seoul, in a neat two-storey family house with a relatively big garden and a well-maintained hedge. They’ve always belonged to the middle-class, from generation to generation and it has never bothered them too much… with a few exceptions.

 

Chanyeol went home after three lectures in a row exhausted. Upon seeing their house, he became even moodier. It wasn’t the house, their social or financial status. It was the conversation he was going to have and disagreement he was going to face.

 

He so wasn’t ready for another family dinner… but what had to be done, had to be done.

 

“I’m home.” He announced after stepping out of his shoes.

 

“In the kitchen!”

 

“I’m going up.”

 

“Come on, baby, come here!”

 

Hearing the whining voice and imagining the possible pout going along with it, Chanyeol gave up his previous plans and went to look for the owner of the voice.

 

Lee Yoojin had put down the kitchen spoon and dusted off her apron by the boy entering the kitchen. She broke into a sweet smile seeing his only son at home again.

 

“How was school, baby?”

 

“I’m not a baby anymore, mom.” Chanyeol reminded her mother before hugging her for a few seconds. “No major happening.”

 

“Do you have more tests?”

 

“Thankfully I’m done with them for a while… Oh, you’re cooking soybean stew? What’s in it, squid?”

 

The mother smiled at his son’s hunger. She took the spoon to steer the dish before answering.

 

“Squid and shrimp.”

 

“Are we celebrating something?”

 

It was a relevant question, considering the Park mother usually settles on either one or none just anchovies. This change of recipe must have meant something.

 

“Not really… But now you mention it, let’s celebrate you’re staying for family dinner!”

 

Chanyeol bit his lip. Here they go.

 

“Mom.”

 

“I’ve put more green onion in, just for you.” Yoojin continued, ignoring the whining. “You must be drained from all those sitting and studying. You need to eat some vegetables. And a good broth will fix you up for sure… Don’t stand up in the middle of dinner, got it? You have to eat everything on your plate tonight.”

 

It was both an act of kindness and a threat. Anyway, Chanyeol was too hungry to argue.

 

By dinner time the rest of the family arrived too. Yoora was dropped off by his mysterious boyfriend (both Chanyeol and Yoojin were peeking from behind the curtains but it was too dark outside damn it) and Mr. Park drove home from work at last.

 

At seven in the evening, they could all sit down to eat.

 

“Thank you for the meal!”

 

They’ve never eaten in silence. The women of the family usually chatted away about meaningless things with Chanyeol joining in if he was interested (and understood what they’re talking about).

 

Mr. Park just sat at the end of the table in silence. He only spoke up when he was finished. He was usually done before anyone else since he was concentrating on eating. He used the time remaining to keep his family in check, frankly.

 

“I’ve seen your broadcast in the morning. You did well.”

 

“Thanks, dad!” Yoora answered with a grin before popping a squid in . It was good she kept her bob haircut, otherwise she would have spent minutes with getting food out of her hair thanks to the speed she was consuming the meal. Family inheritance. “There were some problems with the program but fortunately it didn’t show.”

 

“Really? I haven’t noticed anything.”

 

“The guys could cover it well. What’s up at the company?”

 

“Just the usual. An old man kept phoning us all the day, even though he was told we can’t help on everybody…”

 

Since the father-daughter pair got into a conversation about insurances and aggressive people in general (the head of the house works at an insurance company), Chanyeol could let out the breath he was holding. Family dinners ended up as interrogations. Maybe tonight he’ll be spared.

 

“How does it taste?” His mother asked him.

 

“It’s tasty. I love it.”

 

Yoojin smiled.

 

“Eat a lot, my son.”

 

“How is studying going, Chanyeol?”

 

It was too good to be true.

 

“I’m finished with tests for a while.”

 

“How many semesters do you have? I can’t keep up.”

 

Chanyeol composed his face not to show any inappropriate reaction. This is his way of caring about you, he told himself.

 

“I have a year left, father.”

 

“A year, hm.” Mr. Park hummed before drinking a sip of water from the glass on his right. “Do you have plans what’ll you do after that? What other jobs have you thought?”

 

Yoojin and Yoora exchanged worried glances. Whenever the two men got into a talk about the future, things usually have got out of hand.

 

“I haven’t really thought of anything. I still have a year, the hardest out of all… I think I’ll continue with music though.”

 

The father of the Park family put down his glass with an unreadable expression.

 

“Are you sure you want that?”

 

Chanyeol knew where this conversation is heading. He didn’t like the least bit but wasn’t a coward either to back away from the challenge.

 

“Yes. I like doing what I’m doing now.”

 

“What you’re doing now won’t get you anywhere in the future.”

 

An expected blow… but a blow nonetheless.

 

“None of us can know that.” Chanyeol responded quietly.

 

“You’ll need stabile income and constancy to have a family on your own. Doing music doesn’t guarantee that.”

 

“It doesn’t but despite of that I believe I can do well to take care of my things.”

 

“Good for you. I don’t.”

 

The debate of men had reached a point where the younger of them lost his patience. Respect or not, this was just too much.

 

“I’ll bring some salad, how does that sound?” Mrs. Park suggested.

 

Yoora nodded eagerly.

 

“Cool. Bring it on, mom. Then we all can –“

 

“I’ll have a part-time job.”

 

At Chanyeol’s sudden announcement, all other three members of his family froze.

 

“Come again?”

 

“I’m thinking taking on a part-time job.” Chanyeol repeated after his sister’s confused question. “I haven’t finalized anything yet but I’m pretty firm about my decision. Since it’ll take a lot of my time away, I’ve thought I’ll tell you in advance.”

 

“What kind of part-time job you’re talking about?”

 

Park Sanghoon was mad. He tried to contain his emotions for the peace of the family dinner but it was hard to do so. He’s had an idea what job his son is talking about and he was nowhere fine with that.

 

Chanyeol looked into his father’s eyes. He had to sound sure and unshakable, to make his loved ones believe he truly wants this. Otherwise he won’t be taken seriously and chances of his will coming through become none.

 

“I’m going to model… I’ll pick up where I’ve left off.”

 

“You said that was a one-time thing. That you’ve just helped a friend.”

 

There was no lie in that. But things have changed since then.

 

“They’re willing to employ me and I’m willing to work for them.”

 

“That’s not a work either. Come to your mind, son! Doing this and that, without a plan or resolve… you’re wasting your time… you won’t have a future with that…”

 

Yoojin saw the unsettled state of her husband and the light of tension in his son’s eyes. It was time to intervene for real.

 

“Darling, please, calm down. You getting worked up is good for –“

 

“Should I take this easy? My son wants to be a show-off, a loafer!” Mr. Park raised his voice. “I can’t let that. I’ve been very patient with you, Chanyeol, but this is the end of it.”

 

“You can’t decide about that, father.”

 

Yoora sent a warning look to his brother but he, disregarding it, continued.

 

“I’ve made up my mind and I’m old enough to take action as well as responsibility. I won’t skip school because of it. I’ll make it so the two schedules won’t interfere with each other. You don’t have to worry about it. It won’t affect you in any way. All I ask for is your understanding.”

 

Finishing his speech, Chanyeol pushed back his chair and stood up.

 

“Thank you for dinner, mom.”

 

The rest of the family watched in silence as their youngest went up the stairs, probably to his room.

 

“He won’t run away, will he?”

 

“Yoora.”

 

“I’m not joking, mom. You’ve seen his face.” The girl exclaimed, nibbling on her lower lip in frustration. “He’s almost never been this serious with us.”

 

“Don’t worry, he won’t get away with this.”

 

Yoojin looked at his husband worried. Sanghoon’s been a man of principle. Unfortunately here were times he went overboard with them.

 

“You think it’d be good if we were opposing him even further?”

 

“He obviously hasn’t realized the seriousness of the situation. It’s time for him to learn a lesson.”

 

The three members of the Park family went on separate ways after this. Mother and daughter went to the kitchen to wash the dishes and put the food away. The father of the family settled down in his armchair to read some. As in, he wanted to read but his thoughts were wandering somewhere else.

 

Chanyeol is a smart kid but somehow along the way, didn’t live up to the expectations he has had for him yet. Fortunately it’s not too late. With some more persuasion and right guidance he can have a life he’ll be happy to have.

 

But that doesn’t include any distracting types of art. He’ll make sure his son will admit that too.

 

 

 

Author's Note

Here we have a little insight of Chanyeol's life. As you can see, he's not in an easy situation. No wonder he was so doubtful about his qualities and about modeling in general now, right? Well, those who choose art this is a problem. But just like every other problems, they can be overcome. Stay with me and see how Chanyeol will do it. :)

On a different note, which recent Kpop song you can't help but binge listening to? In my case it's Red Velvet's "One of These Nights". Such a beautiful song musically and lyrically as well! It's amazing the members can pull off such a mature concept too. Basically I'm slayed. :D If you have such song, write me a comment. I'm curious!


"Back to business" subscribe if you like the story so far, upvote if you think the story deserves it and first and foremost, comment if you have anything to say about this chapter! I'd love to read what you think. ;)

This time around I'd like to welcome @856642224677 and @BriannaByun among our lfollowers of the story and thank @hangrua for upvoting. Hope you enjoy the chapters. ^^

Until next time, take care!

chloris