Chapter 13

Color Me Into Your World

 

ENCLOSURE

 

 

Hana has felt a hint of nostalgia entering the coffee shop.

 

It was the same place she had met Chanyeol for the first time, also the latter’s current part-time job – well, as of today. From now on it’ll be different. Everything will be different.

 

“I’ve never been here before. It’s cute.” Luna mused as they sat down to a table. Being it close to noon, the coffee shop was mildly crowded. For utter peace, Chef Zhang booked a table for them the furthest from the entrance. “How is their cake?”

 

“Sooyoung unnie liked it.”

 

“Who?”

 

“A friend of mine… Anyway, if you order tiramisu you can’t go wrong.” Hana explained before looking at her watch. “I have to call Junmyeon. Greet Chanyeol if he arrives, okay?”

 

“Of course, madam.”

 

Junmyeon was abroad for a meeting as a representative of Hong’s House. Hana was the one invited but her passport had expired the day before and now it wasn’t time to re-new it. It was a very unprofessional mistake but there was nothing to do.

 

“How was your flight?”

 

“Horrible.” The man sighed at the other end of the line. “A Japanese elderly was sitting beside me and kept talking to me through the flight. I told her with my very limited Japanese that I don’t speak her language but she just didn’t get it.”

 

“You said it in Japanese. She probably thought you just want to shake her off.” Hana grinned. “I’m not expecting a daily report from you because I trust you. Only call me if you deem it important to do so, okay?”

 

“Okay… In return I express my trust by saying you should attend the board meeting in my place.”

 

Oh no. Not that.

 

“I’m the first one hearing this, right? You haven’t told –“

 

“They’re looking forward to see you on Thursday.”

 

Damn it.

 

“You know I’m not ready yet.” She hissed. “I’m willing to make peace but participating in their meeting is just… too much for now.”

 

“You can do it, Hana. Trust in yourself too.” Junmyeon urged her. “I’ll send you the needed files when I reach the hotel. E-mail me if you’ve got them, please.”

 

She really didn’t want to do this. But just like in that damn passport’s case (she re-news once this meeting is over she has sworn), there was nothing she could do.

 

“Fine. Seal the deal and enjoy your sudden vacation in London. I’ll be here, at war with Mr. Song if you need me. If I don’t pick up, I’ve lost.”

 

Junmyeon chuckled.

 

“Be a bit more positive. That’ll make it easier.”

 

Hana couldn’t agree with that. Positivity is sure a good thing, can help to overcome things but her disagreement with the directorate has been going for too long to solve that easily. She had to be reasonable and the old men a bit less prim to get on. This meeting will be another step towards peace. She should at least try.

 

Her mood had dropped a bit as Hana returned to the table. There were more persons present than expected.

 

“Hi!”

 

Next to Chanyeol a woman was sitting. She was too old to be his girlfriend or sister… but they looked quite alike. Their eyes curved the same way when they smiled. She looked rather intellectual though with her neatly combed hair and business attire. She gave the impression of someone magisterial and Hana didn’t like that.

 

Beside the fact that she’s obviously the mother, of course.

 

“Hi. I’m Hong Hana, nice to meet you.” She bowed a little before sitting down. The only free place was in front of the woman. Great. “I’m the head of the company Chanyeol-ssi wants to join.”

 

“Nice to meet you, Hana-ssi. I’m Chanyeol’s mother, Lee Yoojin. Sorry for this random .”

 

“There’s no need to say sorry, mother. It’s natural that as a parent, you want to know what kind of activities your son wants to get through… I’m sorry but are you a lawyer perhaps? It’s fine but –“

 

The woman laughed with a hand in front of .

 

“What? No. I’m the perfect example of a lifetime housewife. My husband made me come. You see, he’s a bit hard-headed.”

 

Her intellectual looks were deceptive, as it turned out.

 

Luna and Chanyeol watched the scene awestruck. The former was trying to muffle her snicker. The latter vehemently tried to make it less awkward than as it already is.

 

“Mom. Please.” He turned to the girl at the other end of the table. “Dad is doubtful but she came because she couldn’t stay at home. Hope you don’t mind.”

 

Hana shook her head. She felt uncomfortable in the presence of the mother but aside the fact, she seemed fun. It was clear Chanyeol had inherited his comical genes from that side of the family tree.

 

“Luna, show us the contract, please.”

 

“Yes, madam.”

 

Chanyeol’s modeling contract was a tad bit different from the usual the agency has used to make. His payment wasn’t higher, no, he really didn’t have any advantage except for the fact Hong’s House had quite a big ownership over him and Hana had the right to know about his matters. It wasn’t an easy thing to achieve but…

 

“Wait, you mean I won’t be employed by you?” Chanyeol asked outraged once seeing the different label on top of the contract.

 

“You’ll be but not primarily. We’re a fashion house, not a modeling agency. I’ve contacted SM Models to house you.” Hana explained. “We frequently work with them. It’s the same agency Sehun, Jongin and Tao belong to. You can trust them.”

 

“For some reason, I don’t remember you mentioning this.”

 

“I’ve thought it’s basic knowledge.”

 

The two eyed each other seriously. His mother sensed the disagreement and came forward.

 

“Hana-ssi, my son knows nothing about the modeling world. Please, go step by step and tell him every detail. And Chanyeol, you have to stop being so childish. Things almost never go as you’ve planned, accept the fact and look forward.”

 

Both persons nodded reluctantly. Luna hid her grin behind the folder in her hands. The presence of the older woman wasn’t wanted but now she came in handy. Without her reprimand, they might have never get to an agreement.

 

“So, this contract here is made by SM Models. It is a modeling agency with good reputation and famous models under its wings.” Hana went from the beginning, trying to stay professional and not show that she is not fan of being told how to do. “However, I’ve talked with Mr. Kang, the owner of the agency. We’ve discussed and agreed on these terms together. You’ll be employed by them but I have a say in matters regarding to you. Think of it as I’m your helper. Just like you’ve asked.”

 

Chanyeol sighed.

 

“Okay. What else?”

 

“It’s a six months-contract. If you sign, you’ll be employed for six months. During this time, you can’t quit. It’s like a trial. You’ll get some jobs, just a few, to see how well you can do. If you do per the expectations we have for you, you’ll be offered a contract with a longer term. Mr. Kang hasn’t said anything sure yet but I think you’ll be given two years. That’s their standard.”

 

“Two years?”

 

It was a lot of time for someone just getting into the profession. Hana understood Chanyeol’s surprise.

 

“Once the six months are over, you’re free to decide whether you want to continue or not. The agency knows you’re a university student and takes that into account. They’ll assign you so you can continue your studies as before.”

 

Mrs. Park hummed.

 

“Sounds legit I guess?”

 

Hana had the urge to roll her eyes. Of course, this can’t go smoothly now that a family member is here to interlude.

 

“This is a legitimate contract.” Luna took over. “If you won’t believe us, you can take it to a lawyer or do a background check on the agency. Information about them, including their contacts, is up on their website.”

 

“I don’t have to sign now, do I?”

 

“No, you don’t have to. Take the contract and read it thoroughly.” Hana answered Chanyeol’s question. “If you’ve made up your mind, we’ll have lunch with Mr. Kang. I’ll contact you with the details.”

 

"Details about what?"

 

The heiress had to sigh at his show of suspicion.

 

"About the lunch, of course. Look, sorry for keeping you in the dark about certain things in the past, be them professional or hm, not but you can once trust me on this one. I don’t want to drag you into something which could put you at disadvantage regarding to anything. This is important for me and the house, yes, but it is just as important for you. I want this to work out for you. You deserve to be in the spotlight, have qualities to display… This agency can help you with that. It can help you in ways I unfortunately can’t. And for things they cannot do for you, Hong’s House is there to cover."

 

Chanyeol nodded in acceptance. Hana looked at him wondering. That night when he called him up with intent of signing, she thought she could blow away all his worries. Now he looked insecure again. Did something happen in the meantime or is Chanyeol giving the same attitude, she’s just too frustrated to handle it?

 

Their tense silence was broken by Chanyeol's mother, Yoojin.

 

"That is very nice of you, Hana-ssi… I’ve thought my son is exaggerating about you but he is right. You really are professional and care about him a lot. It is comforting to know Chanyeol will be in good hands."

 

"We are all trying our very best, mother." Hana bowed her head a little at the praise. "Your son will have a career he hasn’t even dreamed of. Hong’s House will make it happen."

 

Yoojin giggled. He didn’t laugh out loud like Chanyeol used to but nonetheless, their resemblance once again showed.

 

"Ah, you’re funny, dear. Not the kind of funny I am used to but certainly amusing."

 

"Mom."

 

"Stop with the warnings. I am candid but I am saying nice things." The woman responded to her family before turning back to the company head. "Is there anything else needed to be discussed? I want to send some quality time with the only son I have while he’s at hand and in a good mood."

 

The way she was hanging off of Chanyeol’s arm, was nice and not so to see at the same time for Hana. She’s never known what it is like to have a mother. Hence, she never usually misses it but when she happens to, curiosity and longing hit her with full power and it takes a while until she suppresses those feelings.

 

Noticing her boss zoning out for a second, Luna answered Mrs. Parks question.

 

"I think we are finished here. As madam has said, once Chanyeol-ssi reads the contract and decides whether he sings right away or have some things to change, another meeting will be arranged with the head of SM Models, Mr. Kang… Oh, there is something else left unsaid. To complete the terms Chanyeol-ssi must resign from -"

 

Chanyeol and Hana cleared their throats almost at the same time, signaling the assistant to keep that to herself. Luna quickly shut . Too bad the telltale word "resign" was out in the open.

 

Yoojin narrowed her eyes.

 

"Resign from where?"

 

As if the trouble they have come to wasn’t enough, the owner of the place where they have been sitting had decided to make his promised appearance.

 

"Welcome, ladies. And Chanyeol. The time has come, hasn’t it? Whoa, I feel so emotional." Chef Zhang put the dessert in the middle of the table before pulling a chair from a nearby table for himself to sit on. "That's why I’ve brought some Red Velvet. So, that we can condolence ourselves with cake… Oh, I see new faces. Hi, I’m Zhang Yixing, Lay for short and in Korean. I was Chanyeol's employer until this very moment but nonetheless I stay the owner of this café."

 

Said employee was quietly facepalming next to her mother who looked shook.

 

"Park Chanyeol, you’ve had a part-time job without letting us know?!"

 

Luna guiltily glanced at Hana. The latter clenched . On the contrary, not in fear of what’s going to happen but in fear of bursting out laughing. Chef Zhang surely knows how to make an entrance.

 

 

 

* * * * *

 

 

"Byun Baekhyun, what the hell are you doing."

 

Unlike Kyungsoo, Hana only watched quietly how their licensed makeup artist was running around their room with several, rather strange things in his hands she might add, putting them down here and there.

 

"What you should have done ages ago." The sassy reply came. "Seriously Soo, this room always looks like an abandoned storage. It hurts both my pride and fashion sense how there is literally nothing here but you two, your sketches and fabrics… oh, and let’s not forget about that impressing collection of Dust Bunnies you have over there. I would slow clap if my hands weren’t full."

 

"Ain't nobody got time for that." The designer murmured.

 

"True… I don’t oppose though." Hana shared her opinion while lifting an object up Baekhyun had dropped directly in front of them. It was an angel-shaped candle-holder, made of glass. It looked fancy. "The nice atmosphere these create might inspire us."

 

The makeup artist nodded.

 

"Also, you need to be reminded of an important, upcoming celebration."

 

"You mean Christmas? That’s nowhere next week."

 

"Yes. We have plenty of time until that." Kyungsoo agreed half-heartedly, more immersed in his designs than in the conversation going above his head. He only called out Baekhyun because his movements were disturbing and he hoped he leaves soon.

 

Baekhyun stopped in the middle of hanging a Christmas tree-shaped ornament to the window to turn around and give his colleagues a menacing look.

 

"I cannot believe you survive being so ignorant."

 

"We are not ignorant." Hana said in defense.

 

"Oh, I know you are aware of the upcoming trends and such. But outside of that, not so much… I hate to break it to you but Christmas is next week, fashion people."

 

Already? Hana swiftly pulled out her phone from the pocket of her denim skirt to check the calendar. It showed the 15th of December. Just like Baekhyun has said, Christmas was on the corner.

 

"Good to know." Kyungsoo commented, looking over the girl’s shoulder to see the proof as well. 2I will finally have a week away from you.2

 

"You say that every year and guess what, we always end up crashing your house and making you drink enough mulled wine to sing Sinatra." Jongdae shared with a grin while marching into the room, on the contrary of his partner’s hand, he had nothing with him but a few papers. "Hana-ya, Junmyeon hyung dropped off some of your stuff by me accidentally. I mean, I surely have no idea what these numbers mean so I guess they belong to you."

 

"Why did Junmyeon swing by with the papers at all? This is Luna's task to handle."

 

"Its December. She probably has exams or something."

 

Right. As much as Luna had worked for her, she was still a student.

 

Hana stood up and took over the bunch. Now hands free, Jongdae joined Baekhyun by the window to help. The latter welcomed him with a pleasant smile and kissed his cheek, thinking the other two in the room pay no attention to them.

 

Kyungsoo, of course, did otherwise and made a face but before he could comment on it, a sudden sharp intake of breath from his side distracted him.

 

Hana sat in her seat, eyes doubled, going through the lines over and over again. It didn’t look like she’s mad or anything, more like –

 

"Someone, anyone pinch me."

 

Baekhyun and Jongdae stopped both the PDA and Christmas decorating to come over and enthusiastically do as she told so. Hana whined at the pain and hit both on the arm for complying her request. The males just chuckled.

 

While they were busy with that, Kyungsoo sneakily reached for the paper lying on top and read it through.

 

"We are so not going to do it."

 

Hana turned to him leisurely.

 

"It is an unusual request but it can turn out good."

 

"This is not necessary."

 

"It is not but we can benefit from it. You can’t deny that."

 

"Okay, what we can benefit from exactly? If it includes us, you shall share." Jongdae asked curiously.

 

Hana put a strand of hair behind her ear and looked up at the artists with concealed joy.

 

"Stardust had made a proposition to us. They want Hong’s House on the cover for their end-of-the-year edition."

 

Stardust was a magazine the fashion house hasn’t encountered yet through a deal. The reason was easy – the magazine had its focus on star interviews and lifestyle. The little fashion they’ve covered are mostly skincare products and famous makeup brands. As far as Hana has remembered, this might be the very first time they want to recruit a full staff interview with a fashion house. Groundbreaking.

 

"You mean… Wait, I need to take it down a notch for your sakes." Baekhyun spoke up before exclaiming loudly. "We're going to be cover girls?!"

 

"Cover boys… Or nothing. Because we won’t accept it." Kyungsoo corrected in the last second. "Right, Hana?"

 

"I don’t see any reason why we shouldn’t."

 

"Hana."

 

"Yes, that is my name. I am glad you remember." She grinned at his co-worker before chuckling. "This might be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, Kyungsoo. You must see that and the advantages we can gain from it. We need exposure. With the holidays coming, people will either watch the Victoria’s Secret Show or nothing; either way, will forget about us. This way they can be remembered to expect something new from us next year. Also, they can anticipate our performance at the fashion week."

 

"It includes an interview as well, doesn’t it?" Baekhyun shrieked once more. "We are so going to do this, Kyungsoo. I do not care if I have to drag you there with my two hands, I will do it. , I swear I won’t show up in your workplace for a week if you do this for me. I’m serious."

 

"That’s quite a statement. I wouldn’t refuse." Jongdae chuckled then looked at Hana. "You said Stardust?"

 

"Yeah."

 

"I know the editor. I did some work for them in the past. I know what we can expect from them, for example what kind of questions they could ask and how their format works. We could prepare for it."

 

"Great. Thanks, oppa!" Hana smiled at him and waved the two artists goodbye as they left the room for good, probably to spread the news. She turned to Kyungsoo. Her smile instantly faded a bit. The designer looked one gloomy cloud all right. "You okay?"

 

"I am not. And you know. Yet you don’t care about it… don’t take my situation into consideration at all." Kyungsoo answered, voice solid but laced with anxiety. "It’d be a selfish thing to do, refusing the interview just because of me. So, you can go ahead. Do the interview and make the house proud but do that without including me."

 

Hana bit her lip. She has known from the start he won’t be up in the clouds hearing the idea but since his very first appearance in public and the positive response it got, she has thought Kyungsoo isn’t so against another one. She was wrong.

 

"I know you’re not used to be in the spotlight and even more, you don’t want to be exposed… I should respect that and leave you at home. However, I want you to be there. I want our family to represent Hong’s House, with every single member of it. No matter how hard you’re trying to defy it, you are part of this. You belong with us. If you don’t come, it isn’t worth it. Without you there is no Hong’s House."

 

The designer smirked at the end of her speech, his eyes shining in an unusual way. It threw Hana off balance.

 

"You’ve went overboard a bit, don’t you think?"

 

"I don’t think so." She answered with fake confidence. "I still do that praising thing you all try to prevent me from doing but this time I simply state a fact everybody is aware of, except you. I’ll talk about it with Junmyeon tomorrow. You have time to decide until then… Now let’s finish these trousers. I’ve finally figured out what we should do with the hem. You’re going to love it."

 

 

 

 

Author's Note

It is so nice to be back. Seriously, guys, I cannot describe the feeling. Ive missed this story, it has only downed on me just now.
:') Half of the chapter has been already written back in the days so the quick update is a result of that, I only had to write the second half of it today. What do you think of it? The time difference doesn't show in the flow of the story, right? Hope you get what I mean by this gosh my English is so limited and messed up Are you excited about the magazine photoshoot? Or how Chanyeol's career will begin? Any ideas what is happening with Junmyeon in England? It is important, even though his attending happened just because of a stupid passport mistake. :D


Subscribe if you like the story so far, upvote if you think the story deserves it and first and foremost, comment if you have anything to say about this chapter! I'd love to read what you think. ;)

Until next time, take care!

chloris

ps. you can expect some changes in the design in the close future. can't wait to share it with you! ^^