Chapter 16

Color Me Into Your World

reading this takes 21 minutes 25 seconds, if you read average 3 words per second

 

REVEAL

 

 

Hana was sitting on the corridor of the magazine Stardust deep in thoughts.

 

The photoshoot has wrapped up by now, more or less. When she left the set, Hyojin was talking about some additional photos about the models particularly but that was it.

 

The pictures were satisfying. Just seeing them on the monitor, Hana felt proud. The fashion house alone has been under the radar of the public especially since the change in lead but their team has sparked more controversy in the beginning stages. People said they are too young, unprofessional, mismatched. Even with big names among them like Do Kyungsoo, Byun Baekhyun or Kai, the fashion scene has had many doubts regardless the few supporters of a change for the better.

 

Hana was certain this article will prove those bitter people wrong. From the pictures and the interview, they will learn what kind of unity theirs is, how strong and passionate they are.

 

On the other hand, she was a bit worried. The disagreement between Kyungsoo and the photographer could bring unwanted attention on them. Not to mention Tao and his mysterious illness. Hana has never really cared much about articles written about herself but when they were about objects and people important to her, she has done everything not to get something out in public which were unfair or untrue.

 

„A coffee for your thoughts?”

 

The girl snapped out of thinking as Chanyeol sat down next to her with a steaming cup in hand, probably from the vending machine not far by.

 

„It doesn’t seem like a fair exchange to me.”

 

„Why? You look like someone in need of some caffeine. And I’m obviously interested.” Chanyeol argued, one eyebrow lifted questioningly.

 

Hana let a little smile show on her face before reaching for the cup. How this guy has the ability to win her over so easily, is beyond her imagination.

 

„I was thinking of the usual. Company, future, Kyungsoo, Tao… You know.”

 

The guy gave the drink out with a nod.

 

„Victoria noona told everyone. I don’t think it’s something we should be so alarmed by. I mean, Tao is somebody we care for but I think he can take care of himself. If it’s a cold just like we have heard, he recovers quickly.”

 

„I hope so. I don’t like it when my people get sick.”

 

Chanyeol grinned at the expression.

 

„Your people? Like me?”

 

Hana glanced at him curiously. What has gotten into Chanyeol? He is usually teasing but lately all his words are teasing remarks or ambiguous questions.

 

„Yeah, like you.” She responded fearless. „And Junmyeon, Jongdae, Sehun, Kai – „

 

„I wish you would have stopped at me.” Chanyeol sighed, playing with the hem of the jacket he was wearing. It was a black leather jacket, out of the latest collection of Burberry, giving him a wild but stylish look. Hana appreciated the good match of clothing and its wearer.

 

What she didn’t like, was the uneasiness on the wearer's face.

 

„Chanyeol, is everything okay?”

 

The guy was unmoving for a few seconds then slowly shook his head.

 

„Is it about… work?”

 

Hana was strict regarding the terms of Chanyeol’s modeling contract and has been in constant contact with his housing agency. He has had the appropriate amount of job for a rookie. But maybe he still couldn’t get used to the lifestyle.

 

„No… As in, not directly.” Chanyeol bit his lip before tentatively looking up from his lap. „How is the apartment search going? Last time I have checked you said no results.”

 

When Chanyeol was so insistent about talking about home, he meant he is need of a temporary place to live. Apparently, his home is in the outskirts, too far from the center. Moreover, the travel from the university to the Hong’s House headquarters is quite a trip as well. Hana understood his concern and was looking into apartments it’s just… she was torn between keeping up the hope and moving forward without looking back anymore.

 

Because there was an apartment free, already in their property. One which once belonged to Kris.

 

„I’m searching.” Hana answered, feeling uncomfortable for not telling the entire truth. But Chanyeol hasn’t even known about Kris. Giving the apartment over could mean telling about the past owner too and Hana didn’t feel ready for that conversation, no matter how many month have passed since his departure. „Is it urgent now?”

 

„You can say. There is going to be a recital in January so practices are more frequent and there’s the preparation for the fashion week too.” Chanyeol said. „I don’t tell you to hurry up because I know you are busy just – Don’t forget about it okay?”

 

There is definitely something unusual about him, Hana came to conclusion. This accommodation issue is a pain in the neck but she shall try. For Chanyeol’s comfort, she must come up with something.

 

„I won’t. I will find you a place.” She put down her paper cup of coffee and put a cautious hand on the guys back, patting it lightly. „You can trust me.”

 

Chanyeol turned his head in her direction at the touch, face less tense.

 

„I know. You have made a promise.”

 

Ah yes, the promise during their phone call when Hana has promised to be there for Chanyeol. Speaking of, isn’t Chanyeol’s condition is the same like then? As she remembered, Hana felt a certain déjà vu. Chanyeol sounded exactly this sad back then. Could it be he’s upset because of the same thing now too?

 

Before she could figure out the answers, the assistant of Editor Heo stepped out to the corridor, her polite smile directed at Hana.

 

„Journalist Kwon is ready to see you, miss. Please, follow me.”

 

„Yes.” Hana cleared and stood up. She was about to enter the office when she turned back. „Chanyeol, if you want a ride, you should look for Junmyeon.”

 

„I was thinking of waiting for you.”

 

„Don’t you have work out in the afternoon?”

 

„N-no.”

 

Hana couldn’t help but grin at the obvious. The obviously bad attempt at lying, to be precise.

 

„I know your monthly plan, Chanyeol. I was there when it was put together… I’m not sure how long it will take so please, go get Junmyeon to take you to the gym. I call you when I finished here.”

 

Chanyeol nodded grumpily and got ready to leave. He muttered something under his nose too but Hana was in the office by then, out of earshot.

 

„You better do, Hong Hana. I don’t want to be excited all night for no reason.”

 

 

 

Journalist Kwon turned out to be Kwon Yuri. Hana didn’t know if she should be happy about this fact or not – she didn’t have a past with the woman but has known her name and face from certain magazines she doesn’t read for a reason.

 

It was too soon to judge though, so Hana sat down open-minded and casual.

 

„Kwon Yuri, Stardust.” They shook hands politely. „Sorry for making you wait, I had to go over the questions once more to make sure everything goes smoothly.”

 

„Please, don’t worry about it. I don’t mind.” Hana said. „I needed time to collect my thoughts as well.”

 

Yuri smiled at her sweetly.

 

„I guess we can start then. You don’t mind if I use a recorder, I assume.”

 

Hana glanced at the device in the woman’s manicured hand.

 

„No, I don’t. I’ll tell you if I feel uncomfortable about anything.”

 

„Please do… For starters, please introduce me Hong’s House. What has the fashion house to offer? Why should our readers purchase from you? Tell me anything you think is important to know about your business, please.”

 

The interview started out well, mainly because Yuri didn’t have questions which are hard to answer. Hana spoke her mind comfortably, sometimes even chuckling over her words with the interviewer. No wonder, she was excited about the matter and her enthusiasm shone through.

 

Things only took a strange turn when Yuri were finished with questions satisfying general curiosity and diverted the conversation towards, as journalist say, hot topics.

 

„I have heard you have tendency to handpick models, instead of contacting them through an agency. Is that true?”

 

Hana ran over the question once more in her head to get what the interviewer is getting at. Maybe she was the negative one but for her it sounded a bit ambiguous. And more importantly, how did she know about that? This kind of information certainly isn’t written on their homepage.

 

„It is true but it’s not our general way of picking models.” She answered carefully. „There are countless trustworthy and skilled modeling agencies around Seoul and in the country so naturally, we entrust them with that task primarily. However, occasionally talent is right in front of our eyes, casually walking on the street or ordering food from a vendor, without being aware of their potential. Next to providing quality and high-fashion, our houses main goal is to promote talent. Talent can be discovered anywhere.”

 

„How does a street scouting go? What qualities are you looking for in such talent?”

 

„I’m sorry to say but that’s professional information I can’t get into detail about.”

 

Yuri accepted the decline with a firm nod. Hana thought it was enough to let her know she isn’t taking the best route to make the interview go smoothly as she has said but it turned out, this question was nothing compared to what Kwon Yuri had in mind to ask her about.

 

„I happened to see your winter show personally. It was fabulous, definitely a standout among the local fashion shows.”

 

„Thank you.”

 

„Also, I noticed Jessica Jung from Blanc & Eclare sitting among us spectators.” Yuri finished her question, now revealing her focus. „It's known in the fashion world that you have a little rivalry going on. What can you tell me about your relationship? Do you plan to visit her upcoming show?”

 

Hana had to concentrate hard not to let her face, movements, just the smallest thing show how upset she feels about the topic. Hong’s House had come to Stardust to promote themselves and engage in introducing their company, not to badmouth other brands, potentially causing a scandal.

 

But based on the confidence Kwon Yuri was scrutinizing her every move, Hana figured that of, she knows. That the woman is being pushy on purpose, in hope of catching a bigger fish. What a wench.

 

Hana could choose between two things to do – refusing to answer whatsoever or answering the questions the best way she can. The second option was risky. As someone holding the trust and future of the company, however, Hana took courage and went with it. She didn’t want to back away from responsibility once more.

 

„I plan to attend her fashion show, of course. Our rivalry with Blanc & Eclare is as natural as every other competition is between two brands sharing target audience and having sometimes overlapping concepts.” She responded objectively. „I can assure there are no special feelings which for we could have something above that. Honestly, I have never thought of Jessica Jung as a rival. We can’t be more different.”

 

The last statement maybe came out a bit harsh, subjective much, but Hana thought that can pass. Though there was a time she and Jessica had shared dreams, they have been different form the start. And although Jessica has caused her much pain and trouble, Hana has never thought of a her as an enemy. If the situation wasn’t so complicated with Jessica constantly challenging her, Hana would have cared very little about the American woman and her company. Rival is someone you respect and admire deep down, compare yourself to with the goal of surpassing them one day. Jessica isn’t such a person in Hana’s yes.

 

The journalist scribbled down something into the notepad in front of her before going further.

 

„No special feelings, you say. Then what about that model, Kris Wu, whom she seduced from you? Are you fine with it?”

 

Unbelievable, the heiress mused in her mind. Kwon Yuri isn’t just greedy and pushy but cunning and a bit shameless as well.

 

Hana didn’t want to participate in her games and was willing to lie for that. Lying through her teeth, if necessary.

 

„I have no hard feelings. Ultimately it was Mr. Wu's decision to cut the ties with us, as well as signing a permanent contract with Blanc & Eclare. Since our company is thankful for all the work he had done for us in the past, we naturally accepted the choice. About the seduction part, I have no words. I don’t know where you got that from but I think it’s ridiculous.”

 

„It is a well-known rumor which hasn’t been certified nor denied by any parties. Sorry but I had to try.”

 

Yuri said that with a smile but it was easy to see she’s faking it, disappointed by the uninformative answer.

 

„Speaking of rumors, there is something else I’d like to ask you about. It isn’t announced yet but I know it from a reliable source of mine who usually is never wrong about the information he gives.” The woman continued. „Is it true that Hong’s House is in the early stages of negotiation with Aurore?”

 

Hana looked back at the interviewer blank.

 

„Excuse me?”

 

The information was random and possibly groundless. The company has only been negotiating with The Shore currently. And even if they were looking into jewelry businesses, Aurore wouldn’t even be on the list of possible partners. Hana would never let that happen, not now, not ever.

 

„Aurore, the famous jewelry producing company from London, UK.” Yuri explained, a bit perplexed seeing the confusion on the girl's face but nevertheless eager. „The brand you were wearing today. You are in a bargain, aren’t you?”

 

What?

 

Hana thought back if she was wearing any jewelry today at all... Ah yes, there was a fancy bracelet. It was put on her by a staff member so she hasn’t seen the box it came from. The bracelet itself didn’t have the carnation logo on it and since Hana wasn’t interested in the English business whatsoever, she didn’t know their collections, she can’t recognize them firsthand… Whatever, she’s probably overthinking it and the bracelet isn’t even from that specific brand.

 

Yuri must be bluffing. The journalist saw a bracelet on her today and linked it to the nonsense rumor her oh-so-reliable source had made up. If she thought she can outsmart the very leader of the company, she is too confident with herself.

 

„There is no bargain with Aurore.” Hana responded without a blink. She did feel offended by such assumption, just the name of Hong’s House being in the same sentence with the jewelry brand disgusted her but she didn’t show it outside. „Our company hasn’t contacted them and they haven’t reached out to us either. I think your source is wrong this time.”

 

The journalist once again wrote down something before looking up.

 

„Well, he can’t be right always. No one can. People sometimes lie for their sake or for others… Anyway, I can assure you this was the last question of such. We are soon finished too.”

 

Hana was glad to hear that. It was harder minute by minute to keep a straight face. Though she is thick-skinned and through last year had learnt that to become a good leader, certain sacrifices must be made, she wasn’t fan of going against her principles. Lying, whatever beneficial it seems right then, eventually leads to failure.

 

The interview took almost two hours, thanks to the rather intriguing questions Kwon Yuri asked. While saying goodbye to the woman, Hana noted to tell the editor of the magazine about it. Heo Solji should think twice before employing such inconsiderate people.

 

Hana could have gone straight to said woman’s office but her phone signaled a message when she was buttoning up her coat.

 

The sender was someone whom could make Hana forget about her quite weird day and relieve her stress the best way.

 

 

 

* * * * *

 

In front of a cozy café a girl in an ochre coat and high-heeled boots was waiting. Upon seeing the person who had invited her, she lit up.

 

„Madam!”

 

Hana felt a bit of cringe but waved back to Sunyoung friendly. Despite of her initial dislike, the girl was a good company to be with and became someone Hana effortlessly grew fond of. Maybe it was the distance. Because of school, Sunyoung had to take the month off and as free as Hana felt in the first days, slowly reaching the end of December she felt kind of lonely. She realized, she is missing the bubbly person from her side.

 

„Hi, Luna. How’s school? I hope I didn’t drag you away from practice.”

 

„I had an exam in the morning so I didn’t go to practice today.”

 

„How did the exam go?”

 

„I have passed. Not with flying colors but the point is I’m over with it.” Sunyoung shrugged. „How are you, madam? Even though I haven’t been with you as of lately, I was rooting for you a lot.”

 

The heiress smiled at the kindness, adjusting the strap of her bag a bit awkwardly.

 

„I’m fine, thanks, but- Luna, could you please stop calling me like that? We are the same age. I have checked.”

 

It was a rather embarrassing discovery, at that.

 

„I don’t know. I’m too used to it by now. I could try though.” The girl chuckled before gesturing at the shop they were standing in front of. „Why did you invite me suddenly? I’m glad you did but I think there must be a special reason. You sounded happy through the phone.”

 

Hana nodded, navigating her assistant towards the door of the café.

 

„Remember when I’ve told you I have a friend named Sooyoung?”

 

„Yes, back at the place Chanyeol used to work at.”

 

„Well, we are about to meet her now.”

 

The message Sooyoung sent didn’t say much – only the place they are supposed to meet at and that she has something she wants to talk about it with Hana.

 

It certainly contained no information about that she won’t arrive alone.

 

„Oppa!” Hana beamed at the tall man sitting next to her friend, looking finer than wine in a familiar suit… and with that her joy turned into a deadpan. „I can’t believe you purposely put on clothes made by us just so I can’t scold you for taking so long with asking for unnies hand.”

 

Sooyoung's fiancé, Siwon, broke into a thousand-watt worth grin, not-so-subtly pulling at the material of the pinstripe jacket.

 

„I’m always prepared. You know that.”

 

„Way too prepared, if you’re asking me.” Sooyoung added cheekily, patting her man’s shoulder. The diamond ring on her hand shone beautifully. „Who is the lovely girl you brought, Hana?”

 

„My assistant and friend, Sunyoung.”

 

„Call me Luna, please. Nice to meet you!”

 

The four of them ordered a few non-alcoholic hot drinks – Siwon insisted on champagne but Sunyoung called him out that it’s too flashy, causing a big laugh for all of them – then casually talked about recent matters of each other they have missed out on because of their jobs.

 

The modeling pair, no surprise, haven’t been engaged in much work lately. Since Siwon has had a few side businesses as well, Sooyoung could afford to take a leave and plan the wedding of their dreams.

 

Of course, it was the wedding initially, why Hana was called for an urgent meet.

 

„… and I instantly rang up Taeyeon to get her design something similar for us. Well, not that similar, but you know, something which has the same simplicity and aesthetics.” The soon-married woman gushed. „I want a wedding full of flowers. I plan to wear a flower crown as well.”

 

„Aw, that’s such a good idea!” Sunyoung agreed in awe.

 

Hana glanced at a panicky-looking Siwon opposite of her before speaking. His family can be a tough nut to crack because of their roots and the pride the Choi parents have in them.

 

„Yes, but you shouldn’t forget, unnie, that your main purpose is a traditional wedding. Isn’t a flower crown a bit much?”

 

„It isn’t if it’s arranged tastefully. Taeyeon will be responsible for that too so no doubts itll be perfect. Speaking of responsibility…” Sooyoung exchanged looks with Siwon then after getting a confirming nod, turned to her friend with a bashful smile. „I probably ask you late but I have something we want you to be responsible for.”

 

Hana perked up. She has been wanting to ask if she could help in any way. She wanted to be there for her friends on their big day.

 

„What is it?”

 

„What could it be? You are great but there is only one thing you are the best at.” Siwon teased, obviously pressured by the request.

 

Sunyoung chuckled at his words. Sooyoung only sighed.

 

„I have most of the essential things arranged except for one thing.” The latter continued. When she looked at the heiress, her eyes were glowing. „Hana, if it’s possible, I want you to design my dress. I wouldn’t walk down the aisle in anything less perfect than something which you have had put your heart into.”

 

Hana didn’t think she would tear up hearing such happy news. Sure, she cried when she had to say goodbye to people dear to her heart, when she thought life is unfair for putting her through things she doesn’t think she deserved but crying in joy, crying in joy and in public seemed impossible for her.

 

When Sooyoung asked her to design her wedding dress though, Hana felt tears gathering in her eyes.

 

„Of course.” She murmured, overwhelmed. „I- I’ll do it for you. For both of you. Gladly. When are you free to try it on? Wait, I have to take your measurements first -”

 

„You should design a dress first, no?” Siwon didn’t let up but the gentleness in his eyes told how thankful and touched he is.

 

Unlike Hana, Sooyoung couldn’t keep it together.

 

„Call me anytime. You can take my measurements at the end of this meeting, if you want to.” She whispered, a tear making its way across her face, down to her smiling lips. „Oh, you’re such a good friend, Hong Hana! We're asking you to do such big thing for us three months prior and you accept it without complaints.”

 

„It’s my pleasure.”

 

„Whoa, what a happy moment. It calls for cake.” Sunyoung spoke up unexpectedly. „Right, Siwon oppa?”

 

„You said no to champagne, I say no to cake.”

 

„But that’s not fair~”

 

The two women watched with big smiles on their faces how the new acquaintances got into such a friendly argument so fast.

 

Without thinking, Hana reached out her hand and grabbed Sooyoung's resting one on the table. She squeezed it once, as replacement of a hug.

 

Sooyoung understood her intent and squeezed back teary-eyed.

 

They held hands until the cake Sunyoung finally ordered, arrived.

 

 

 

Author's Note

Hope you are just as happy about the relatively on-time update as I am. Well, generally I am not that happy. The life situation I am right now in just getting more and more complicated and it hurts. BUT I keep writing. Writing does make me happy and keeps me balanced. Its like attending a healing therapy without paying for one. I pay for electricity but you know. ^^ Anyway, life goes on eventually. Until then I write Color Me Into Your World~

What do you think about the content of this chapter? I have a suspicion that despite of the large number of views the story has (almost a thousand views, amazing~), just a few peple, maybe none reads the actual chapters. So if you are reading this, please write me a comment. You dont have to write much, just something so I know there are people out there who read what I write. The silence makes me anxious...

This note turned out to be a bit gloomy but nonetheless, the story is moving forward. I have dropped a lot of questions in this chapter as well. How many of the rumors Yuri mentioned are true? Where will end up Chanyeol living? (That going to have a cliché solution so I dont doubt you already know the answer haha.) What is happening to Tao? He is acting suspiciously, isnt he? Who anticipates what kind of dress will Hana design for Sooyoung? /both hands in the air/


Subscribe if you like the story so far, upvote if you think the story deserves it and first and foremost, comment if you have anything to say about this chapter! I especially recommend you to do the later, please.

Until next time, take care!

chloris

ps. EXOs winter album is so good! I find myself having the songs on repeat. My favorite is the title this time, For Life. My second is maybe Winter Heat but also the rapper-line did pretty well in Twenty Four as well.. What is your favorite song from the album? Lets talk it out. :)