Chapter 12

Color Me Into Your World

 

TO THE WORLD
 

For the first time in a few long days, Hana was able to go to bed at a time she was supposed to.

 

The clock on her table showed 9.15 pm when she emerged from the bathroom and put on her pajamas. The next day was Saturday, meaning there was one more workday ahead but as a reward for their hard work, the company had decided to give a day off to every employee.

 

As the boss, Hana was supposed to work though. There was a phone call waiting to be settled with a retailer about fabrics and a few magazines had called in for interview. Even though, some freedom was needed. She had decided to stay at home for the day and work from there. If there was anything, she’d be available on phone. (Luna was ought to call at least thrice.)

 

Hana settled down on her bed with the notebook in her lap. Pictures from the lookbook photo shoot were out and Key asked her to arrange them. Which one they need, which not and which one should be edited a bit differently. The photographer had done a great job this time as well – the pictures reflected the elegance and confidence Hong’s House were representing.

 

Just when she reached the end of the folder, she noticed something is missing. The dark suit with the striped tie? No, more like somebody. The model who is supposed to wear it.

 

Hoping was almost in vain but Hana has believed Chanyeol will return. He couldn’t go this far just because of some sort of attraction. There has to be something he has liked out of the whole thing… aside her. She watched the footage about the fashion show and the guy who walked down the runway so confidently, so handsomely wasn’t just an interested guy. Maybe the main reason why he had accepted the random job was about his feelings but there is definitely a part of him which enjoyed the attention. There has to be.

 

Of course there was the possibility she was just overthinking it. Wanting it so much that she was hoping no matter what. Hana had admitted to herself – she was certainly more serious about Chanyeol than she has thought.

 

Enough with daydreaming, she thought after another twenty minutes of browsing. She e-mailed Key then switched off the device and pulled the covers over her body. Her eyes were already closing a few seconds lying in bed but the phone going off right next to her head successfully drifted her back to being awake.

 

Hana blinked twice seeing the caller. She’s not sleeping already, is she?

 

“Hello?”

 

“Hana? It’s Chanyeol.”

 

It was indeed Chanyeol… whether a dream or reality, Hana could only marvel over the happy feeling which went through her just by hearing his voice.

 

“Hi.”

 

Her voice must have sounded groggy a bit because the guy had started apologizing at instant.

 

“No way, did I wake you? It’s barely ten in the night. You usually are deep in work around this time still. That’s why I called.”

 

“I wasn’t sleeping yet… was getting there. But it’s okay since you called.” Hana couldn’t help on the hearable relief in her voice. “How are you?”

 

For a few seconds only the sound of Chanyeol’s breathing could be heard on the other end of the line. When he spoke next, his tone had changed.

 

“I called you because… I really needed somebody to talk to. Can you listen to me a little?”

 

“Yes. Of course.” Hana sat up in her bed, sensing the seriousness of the situation. “I’ll listen. Tell me.”

 

“The last weeks went hard on me. I’ve had a lot of things to concentrate on, to think about and… I think I snapped. I feel tired.”

 

He did sound tired. And sad. She didn’t like it.

 

“That’s normal. I hate to quote my psychologist but we’re in the age to be generally confused about everything. On the border of childhood and adulthood. You know that crap.”

 

On the contrary of her expectation, Chanyeol didn’t chuckle. It made her worry.

 

“I’m so confused honestly.” He continued. “I think I’ve figured most of the things out but still…”

 

“You don’t think it’s enough, right?”

 

“Yeah. Like I’m missing out on something important.”

 

“We’re young. We have a lot of time to figure things out.”

 

“That’s true… Speaking of, there’s another reason I’ve called. I’ll do it. I’ll model for you.”

 

These were the words Hana has been waiting for, far too long. Yet hearing them wasn’t as satisfying as she has thought it’ll be. Like Chanyeol had said, something was missing somehow.

 

“Oh. Did you think this through among all?”

 

“I did.”

 

“I did too.” She gulped and stayed silent for a few seconds to collect herself. “This goes against my position and the company’s future but that’s the right way to get this done. If the only reason you’re accepting this- No, wrong way of wording it out.”

 

“You’re nervous?”

 

“Let me finish, please. So, if the driving force behind your modeling career is your feelings towards me, you shouldn’t do this. This is not right. Modeling might sound easy at first but you’ve experienced it’s just another job too. It’s stressful. The competition is high. There are times you’re refused outside your fault. Payment is never great at first and there’s no guarantee it’ll get higher in the future. You’re in the hands of designers but mostly the people. If they like you, they deify you. If they are disappointed in you, for some reason, could it be the smallest thing once again outside your fault, they destroy you. Working in the fashion industry demands a lot and you won’t be able to do it without dedication and devotion. It’s great if you have positive feelings like those you’ve let me now earlier but that’s not enough. In the long run, it won’t be enough.”

 

The words were marring Hana’s throat while speaking. She’s said nothing wrong. That was the bitter reality. Yet for a second she wanted to take it back. Especially since Chanyeol was silent on the other side for so long.

 

“You’re not that great, you know.”

 

“Huh?”

 

Chanyeol chuckled.

 

“I’d date you… but I could do that without being part of your team. I could show up at your workplace with flowers, take you out to dinner or back to the Han River to that awesome restaurant –“

 

“Get to the point, please.”

 

On one hand, she was eager what his reason is then. On the other hand, she was a bit embarrassed by the guy’s brave plans. Sappy things weren’t really her cup of tea.

 

“I want to try.” Chanyeol said. “I didn’t want to admit to myself because I’m supposed to be a man doing and thinking manly things but I did enjoy being out there. The light is different, you know? And the silence is so tense. I felt my skin prickling all the while. I was so excited. I held my breath back almost all along. All those people were looking at the suit, at me and… somehow I felt proud. Confident. I don’t think I’ve ever felt so confident like that before. Weird, huh?”

 

Hana smiled at the unhidden enthusiasm in his voice. She understood him. These were the exact things she has felt during those few walks she could do on the runway.

 

“It’s not weird… and models can be manly too. You know Shin Sungwoo, right?”

 

“Hell yeah. He’s one of the bests.”

 

“Then you know he’s a rock star yet he’s been parading around both on stages of theaters and stages of fashion shows. Still, he’s one of the examples of a true man. He’s modeled for Hong’s House once, back in the day. I was only an intern that time. All I had to do was checking if there are any threads left on his suit… I couldn’t look into his eyes. I had a hard time touching the material since he was wearing it.”

 

“Whoa.” Chanyeol exclaimed amused. “Somehow I can’t imagine you all nervous and embarrassed because of a man… So you like manly men, huh?”

 

“Off topic.”

 

“Not really.”

 

“We were talking about your employment and you’re starting to talk about my taste in men. Duh.”

 

“You brought it up.”

 

“Chanyeol.”

 

Another chuckle resonated through the line. Hana liked that sound.

 

“Alright. Back to business… I’m willing to model for you. But only for you and Hong’s House. At least at the beginning. I don’t think I’m ready for the next step. And…

 

“What else?”

 

The hesitation in his voice didn’t foreshadow any good.

 

“I want you to be next to me when I need you to be there. I’m not expecting from you anything more than that… Seriously, as long as you’re comfortable. I just want you to help me through when I feel like giving up. I’d like you to continue supporting me. Could you?”

 

The desperation in his voice had moved something in Hana. She was the boss now. She could hardly get enough time to design yet she couldn’t even think of refusing the favor.

 

“I could. I will.” She confirmed, making sure her voice sounds secure and solid. “I would have even if you didn’t ask me. You’re my model, Chanyeol. I’m the one who had discovered you. It is my obligation to do so –“

 

“Stop being so formal, seriously.” He grumped. “You make it sound like I’m just another job for you.”

 

“You’re not just that. Don’t worry.”

 

It was a bit of an ambiguous sentence but Hana didn’t regret saying it. It was just as ambiguous as she has felt about him. Perfect.

 

“Cool… so I guess I have to sign another contract?”

 

“Yes. I’ll ask Luna to prepare one for you. We give you a basic one and then we discuss if there’s anything you’d like to change. Once you’ve signed, we can start.”

 

“You mean continue.”

 

Hana smiled at that.

 

“Yes.”

 

“All right.” Chanyeol signed at the other end of the line. “It’s going to be really time-consuming, right?”

 

One could have thought this is the end of the conversation but the guy had searched for another topic - for Hana’s delight. Through the weeks without him, she had come to feel a certain kind of loneliness. When Chanyeol was there, he kept talking and entertaining her. When he wasn’t, it wasn’t that special anymore. Everything fell back to routine.

 

“It depends on how much work you’re willing to take on and how many castings will be successful… I know you’ve said you want to model for the company. But there is a surprisingly big amount of interested brands and designers.”

 

“… You mean interested in me?”

 

She rolled her eyes even though the other couldn’t see it.

 

“At least this time your surprise is fine. Even I haven’t expected this much attention this soon. But well, you look good. Outstandingly so. Understandable.”

 

Praises have flowed out like last time but it was somehow different now. Hana hoped the guy won’t notice or worse question it but unfortunately he did.

 

“You don’t sound as enthusiastic as you’ve used to. Have you already become bored with me?”

 

“No, I haven’t.” It was actually the opposite but she hasn’t said that. “Anyway, the point is you’ll be busy. You’re not halting your studies because of this, right?”

 

“I want to do both… But , I have to resign from the coffee shop. I’ll miss Chef Zhang and free cake.”

 

“You can’t do all three, that’s for sure. I’d like to say you could at least help by on the weekend but one, weekend is for rest especially if you’re a model; and, two there certainly will be times when you’re called in even during the weekend.”

 

“It’s going to be this hectic?”

 

“It is as in you won’t have much regularity. Otherwise all schedules are planned ahead so if things go according to plan, you won’t have sudden jobs.” Hana yawned. “Can we talk about something else? It’s too late for me to think collected and precise.”

 

“We can hang up if you’re tired.”

 

He sounded concerned. It reminded Hana of the care he treated her at the fashion show. Once again, she felt thankful but…

 

“No. Let’s talk about something else.” She lied down on the bed again, getting comfortable. “You know what? Speak about yourself. I always drown you with things I love and I’m interested in while all I know about you are your measurements and age.”

 

Chanyeol snorted.

 

“Yeah. We’ve totally skipped some important parts… Well, what are you curious of?”

 

“Everything.”

 

Hana caught on she sounds a bit strange so corrected herself.

 

“I mean tell me what you want me to know.”

 

“Okay. I’m going to K-ARTS, that of you know. My major is music. I haven’t told you that but you know I play the guitar so I guess that’s not new information either… Hm, I like video games. And animes. I especially like the movies Ghibli makes. You know them?”

 

She did. She’s used to watch it with her father and play a game of scrabbles with Ghibli character names later on.

 

“I’ve recently re-watched The Cat Returns.” She answered.” I was as amazed as for the first time.”

 

“My favorite is Howl’s Moving Castle.”

 

“As expected.”

 

“Why so?”

 

“You’re a bit sappy.”

 

“Thanks.” Chanyeol stated, not amused. “If we’re complementing each other, I have to tell you that you’re a bit forthright.”

 

“I accept the compliment.” It was Hana’s time to chuckle.

 

For the next hour Chanyeol kept talking about himself. He often asked if he bores the other, want to finish or say something but Hana told him off every time. She just her side with the phone next to her head and listened. In the silence of the room the guy’s deep rumble sounded like a lullaby.

 

Around 11 pm, Chanyeol couldn’t suppress his yawns anymore so had decided to call it a night.

 

“Okay, I guess I’ll stop here. We both have work tomorrow. Call me when you have the contract ready, okay? You can call anytime you want but make sure you’ll do when- Ah, you that don’t you? I keep rumbling like an idiot… Hm, interesting. You haven’t told me that yet. Are you there?”

 

Hana was already in dreamland. Her eyelids fluttered and a small whine escaped at the noise but otherwise hasn’t reacted to the question. She didn’t even hear it.

 

“I can’t believe you fall asleep on me…I mean, while you were supposed to be listening to me. Thank God you sleep.” Chanyeol murmured relieved, happy to escape this way from an explanation to that ambiguous sentence. “Good night, Hana. “

 

 

 

* * * * *

 

 

At the other side of the city three people weren’t that sleepy.

 

“Look at this shirt! Man, I’d die to wear it.”

 

“It’s not that good.”

 

“Not that good on you. On me it’d be perfect.”

 

Victoria turned to her clients with a sigh.

 

“When will you two stop chattering? It’s soon midnight.”

 

Tao gasped.

 

“Jie, we’re not chattering. We’re catching up. Don’t be a party pooper.”

 

“She’s right.” Kris spoke up from beside the other Chinese man. “We both have schedules the next day. Maybe we should –“

 

“Just one more folder, okay? I want to show you something, ge.”

 

It was impossible to say no to Tao. Kris nodded indulgently. Victoria called the waiter and asked for another cocktail to pass time.

 

The two models have been managed by the same woman but ever since the taller of them parted ways with Hong’s House, they couldn’t meet that frequently. It was a shame because for Zitao, Kris was the person who he has looked up to, listened to and has been the closest to. Their same descent had to do with it but it was more than that. They’ve shared similar beliefs and have had similar tastes.

 

The folder Zitao had brought up contained pictures from Hong’s House F/W fashion show. Just by seeing the title, Kris froze.

 

“Seriously, Tao?”

 

“You’re not curious? It wasn’t similar to any shows we’ve had there before.” The younger explained by clicking on a picture. “Just look at this. Hana had changed the show format. The lightning was dimmed more than usual. I missed the harsh spotlights, I’m not gonna lie… See, the sandy color actually went well with me. Kyungsoo wasn’t wrong this time either.”

 

It should have felt bad. He should have felt some kind of bitterness or anger but Kris could keep his calm throughout the pictures. He had said goodbye. He had closed this part of his career and has opened up to new, bigger opportunities. He actually has felt more comfortable at Blanc & Eclare. Casual wear seemed to be more of his style and the working atmosphere was more pleasant and calmer as well. He hasn’t regretted his decision… yet.

 

Upon coming to an unfamiliar face, Kris frowned.

 

“Who is that?”

 

“Some new guy called Chanyeol.” Tao rolled his eyes then lowered his voice not to be overheard by their manager. “If you ask me, he’s lame. Like he has the qualities to perform well but he can’t sell himself, you know what I mean?”

 

“Then how did he get casted?”

 

“Well, he certainly wasn’t there at the official casting… I think it was Hana’s doing. She has protected him all the while he was getting trained.”

 

Picking up someone from the street, guiding him through the training process, putting him in the show without casting… The story was familiar. The only question was how it ended.

 

“So he’s trained to be a model? Hana trains him?”

 

“I’m not part of the higher teams.” Tao reminded his friend. The other’s interest was suspicious. “I haven’t seen him around since the show though. He wasn’t there at the lookbook photo shoot either. Maybe he gave up. It wouldn’t be surprising… Ah, here is Sehun. Unfortunately hating him won’t make him less attractive…”

 

The younger went on about the blonde model and other models as well as he switched from picture to picture but Kris barely paid attention.

 

Temporary model? Knowing Hana, it was a very unlikely outcome. The girl is stubborn as hell. If she casted him, she caught him and won’t let him go soon. Kris has learnt that firsthand. And the guy, Chanyeol, was wearing his suit. The suit Hana has made for him, designed with him in her mind. That was surely a sign of commitment… and maybe something beyond that.

 

The next shot of the foreign guy came up Kris felt something like loathe bubbling up in him.

 

He wasn’t part of Hong’s House anymore.

He had moved on.

Too bad his feelings had stayed.

 

 

 

Author's Note

I like this chapter... It's not like I haven't liked the previous ones (I don't post anything unless I'm satisfied with it) but somehow this chapter especially makes me happy. How is it by you? Do you like it too? ^^



Subscribe if you like the story so far, upvote if you think the story deserves it and first and foremost, comment if you have anything to say about this chapter! I'd love to read what you think. ;)
 

Until next time, take care!

chloris