Chapter 17

Color Me Into Your World

 

reading this takes 17 minutes 8 seconds, if you read average 3 words per second

 

LATENT

 

 

The end of the year was rapidly approaching, bringing the employees of Hong House to a seemingly endless rat race of working overtime, staying away from home and other source of leisure.

 

No matter how hard they tried to take it cool; solely concentrating on things important now. Eventually it started to take its toll on them, without most of them noticing.

 

„Flower, I’m sorry, but just what the heck are you doing?”

 

Hearing Baekhyun’s confused tone, Hana looked up.

 

„What do you mean?”

 

„Well, for starters, you have a phone pressed between your ear and shoulder which you are speaking Japanese to.” Jongdae continued instead of his boyfriend. „Then with your right hand you look like you’re sketching something, with your left you’re typing something on your laptop and… I must be wrong but a few seconds ago, you hauntedly sounded like someone humming a wedding march.”

 

Hana stopped her actions altogether. She wasn’t even aware of half of those things.

 

„I’m multitasking.” She answered not-so-confidently. She must have looked ridiculous just now...

 

„You definitely are.” Kyungsoo agreed with a curt nod. His words had a teasing undertone which the girl didn’t like. Like he wasn’t just as much of a workaholic as she is.

 

„I’m doing this for efficiency. Please, be a bit more understanding.”

 

„I’m sure you want to speed things up by doing everything at once but that doesn’t make you more efficient.” Junmyeon only let a warm smile grace his face but it was apparent he finds the situation funny too. „Why don’t you take a break? You haven’t come with us for coffee half an hour ago.”

 

The idea of a boost sounded wonderful… but she didn’t have the luxury of procrastinating. What luck, the next appointment on her schedule is something she can get a little leisure from.

 

„Chanyeol comes for a fitting in ten.” She replied, her mood instantly changing for the better. „I will have a coffee afterwards, thanks.”

 

Since the day of the photoshoot, Chanyeol stayed away from Hong’s House. He has had many auditions and try-outs. Not to mention school. Although the guy had admitted he won’t have more exams until next year, he took studying seriously and was preparing at home.

 

Hana admired his diligence. For first look, Chanyeol didn’t seem like someone so studious, (actually, more like the opposite, the scatter-brained college guy type in her opinion) but it proved to be otherwise. Great. Too bad, this way they couldn’t meet up regularly and as weird as it felt first, Hana has started missing him. Again.

 

The company of the team hasn’t stopped being entertaining, no, Hana didn’t get bored with them. Being with Chanyeol is entirely different, she thought, hands stopping momentarily on the keyboard and the paper respectively, the person at the other end of the line long gone. His presence is somewhat calming but then, he is so boisterous, I can hardly keep up with his energy. When he’s here, everything feels moving and positive. Without him it's… a bit dull. Lifeless. Incomplete, almost.

 

Realizing the interesting turn of her thoughts, Hana cleared . She put down her phone and continued typing. She has grown attached to him. There’s no use in denying that now. But dwelling on it further is unnecessary, on the long run.

 

Just when she arrived at that conclusion, the door of the room creaked open.

 

„I’m not late, am I?”

 

Chanyeol looked anything but organized as he stepped in and started getting rid of his coat. He must have been in a haste. He looked flushed, he was panting and his unruly, curly mop of hair was scattered with snowflakes slowly melting in the temperature of the room.

 

„You are five minutes late.” Kyungsoo broke the news in a firm voice. „For the fifth time in a row.”

 

„No way.”

 

„I’ve counted.”

 

Chanyeol shut his mouth and went to put down his bag somewhere instead.

 

Baekhyun gave their team member an incredulous look.

 

„So what? It’s not like he’s late for his wedding or something. Hold your horses, Soo.”

 

The designer didn’t relent.

 

„I know it’s just a fitting but if it becomes a habit, problems arise. I don’t think any of us want him to be late for Fashion Week, for example.”

 

„We're glad you’re thinking that far ahead. But for now, let the guy breathe. Hana is the one in charge now, anyways.” Jongdae spoke up gently before glancing at the girl in question. „Am I wrong?”

 

„No, you aren’t. So now please, let us work in peace.” Hana closed her laptop and stood up. „Come on, Chanyeol. Shed your clothes.”

 

Baekhyun and Jongdae took the intriguing request as their cue to leave, sniggering. Kyungsoo stayed, leaning over his notes grumpily. Junmyeon turned to him reassuring before attending the meeting he was invited to.

 

„You know Hana. She will take into consideration what you have said and make sure everything goes smoothly. Don’t worry, just keep up the good work!” The department head patted Kyungsoo’s shoulder then exited the room.

 

In the other end of the room, Hana let out a sigh. Chanyeol’s state wasn’t the only thing which was messy – the hoodie he was holding onto was so hideous, she wanted to set it on flames at the very moment.

 

„You’re working in the fashion industry but your clothes say otherwise.” She gestured towards the crappy font on the front which read „Bloodstream”. „Is that a Stateless or an Ed Sheeran reference?”

 

She meant that as criticism but Chanyeol’s eyes lit up happily.

 

„Both, actually… Whoa. I’m surprised. You listen to music?”

 

„Of course I do.”

 

„What do you listen to?”

 

„Nowadays?”

 

„Yeah.”

 

„Lately I’m really into HONNE. Have you heard about them?” She asked while gathering up the shirt and pants from the table. At the mention of the band, her lips unconsciously curled up into a smile. „Their sound suits my taste perfectly… Back to the original topic, why don’t you wear something fancier? Your looks are worth more.”

 

Since she didn’t get a response for seconds, Hana turned her head over the shoulder curiously. Chanyeol was standing there wide-eyed, gaping. He looked like a fish but he was cute. It made Hana’s smile turn fond.

 

„What? No retort? I was expecting a retort for judging your style.”

 

Like shaken up from a dream, Chanyeol cleared his throat and narrowed his eyes.

 

„You shall stop judging my style. Just because I pose here and there, I haven’t become a millionaire yet, unfortunately.”

 

This was the Chanyeol Hana has missed and liked to be around. She went back to him satisfied and handed over the clothes.

 

„You are going to be one, have no fear. Actually, the sooner I fit these clothes on you, the closer you are to be there.”

 

„I take your word for it.”

 

„Just wait and see.”

 

While the guy was outside changing his attire, Hana sat anxiously on her chair. The outfit looked amazing on Chanyeol in her imagination but reality could be different. She was anticipating a lot.

 

Kyungsoo became aware of her fidgeting. He stopped sketching with a sigh.

 

„I can practically hear your thoughts. Lean back and relax, okay? You worked on it a lot, it has to look good.”

 

„Good is not enough for me. Or for Chanyeol.” She explained. „His qualities deserve the best.”

 

„Obviously but don’t overpraise him. He is still human with two pair of lanky limbs and a hard head hiding a tiny brain.”

 

Hana snorted. The description was kind of accurate but offensive and exaggerating, first and foremost.

 

„I’ll stop overpraising him if you stop dispraising him. Don’t think it went unnoticed by me that you haven’t taken a liking to him.”

 

Kyungsoo shrugged.

 

„I’m not obligated to like everything and everyone just because we are related in a way. Maybe we will never be friends, maybe I end up dressing him into one of my creations. Time will tell.”

 

Hana nodded in acceptance. Chanyeol and Kyungsoo are most likely opposites in nature. For them to have a bond, who knows how much time is needed. She shall leave the matter for the two.

 

„Um, I’m back. I guess.”

 

At instant, Hana looked up.

 

Chanyeol was standing by the doorway. His posture was timid and his expression panicky but despite of those, he looked great. The deep blue color complemented his dark hair and fair skin. Although the neck area wasn’t done, the outline showed and it fit Chanyeol’s long and lean body. The trousers seemed a bit long but hey, that’s why a fitting was arranged.

 

„Amazing.” She exclaimed as soon as they were back in front of the mirror. „Blue looks good on you, have you been told?”

 

„Now I have.” Chanyeol murmured. „There is a problem though.”

 

„What is it?”

 

His fingers hovered downwards. Hana followed the movement with her eyes intrigued. Chanyeol stopped by the middle part, long fingers holding one of the many buttons undone.

 

„I can’t button it, like at all.”

 

„Let me.”

 

Hana swatted his hands away impatiently. She was buttoning men up for five years, working under her father’s guidance as a coordinator. She had practice.

 

However, it wasn’t Chanyeol’s clumsiness which caused the buttons to pop almost.

 

After struggling for a few more seconds, Hana gave up with her hands resting over the garment.

 

„Chanyeol, did you gain weight?”

 

It could happen. She made sure Chanyeol keeps his diet and work-out schedule but…

 

„I did but not much. I was cautious. I successfully dodged every attempt of Mom trying to stuff me with cake and candies during Christmas.” He stated confidently. „I even went to the gym the day after.”

 

Hana hummed. She tried the buttons once more but the higher she reached, the more it was impossible. Accidentally, her fingers slipped and ended up little on his chest area and- Oh wow, muscles.

 

She immediately pulled her hand back, a bit embarrassed.

 

„Of course. You’re working out so you’re forming muscles. Why did I forget about that?”

 

Now standing closer to him, Hana could see clear changes in Chanyeol’s body. His shoulders seemed broader (which was quite impossible, in her opinion but never mind); his chest more and the heavy material of the jacket was hugging his arms way too tightly. Hana has worked with the measurements she has taken at the guys first fitting ever. The difference was outstanding.

 

Chanyeol straightened his back. He was confident when he spoke up but his ears were on fire.

 

„I follow the schedule well, see? Um, do you like it? I mean, is it okay?”

 

„I do.” Hana answered absent-mindedly before snapping back into professional mode. „It is. You shall reduce on lifting, though. I don’t like my models too muscular. To be honest, in my eyes you look better slim. The audience probably thinks the same… What do you think about running? It's good for overall toning without buffing up. I know, I run a lot.”

 

Suddenly, she was sprouting everything that came to her mind but Hana couldn’t help on it. The situation turned kind of awkward. She trusted her words to get her out of it.

 

„It figures.” Chanyeol replied before meeting their eyes. „Why don’t we go jogging together? I can’t jog alone, that’s too boring for me.”

 

„Yeah, why not?”

 

From this point on, their conversation turned back to its original route and they could carry on with the fitting seamlessly. On the surface, at least. Deep down, every time Hana had to touch Chanyeol, be it on his arm, back, or ankle, she felt shy. It was unusual. She has stripped and dressed many men and although there were times she was reluctant to do her job, it was a first that her hands are hesitating this way.

 

Chanyeol didn’t show any sign of being uncomfortable. He was standing relaxed through all and followed the instructions the designer was giving him. That found Hana relieved. Now she was certain she is attracted to Chanyeol in a way she isn’t supposed to be. But she wanted to keep that to herself, invisible for others eyes.

 

The hardworking couple in front of the mirror entirely forgot about the third person in the room. Kyungsoo was looking up from time to time. And what he had seen, didn’t help him in staying focused.

 

 

 

* * * * *

 

 

 

Jessica was examining the mannequin dressed in front of her with a satisfied smirk on her face. It was perfect. It was hard to take in at first but now that she has been working on it for days, she was able to say it confidently. If anything, her additional touches make it perfect.

 

Their winter show was still in progress. Originally it was to be shown before the end of year but Jessica made the decision of postponing it to early next year. The directorate didn’t understand why. However, they had no words against the owner of the company they are employed by, Jessica Jung. The woman made up her mind. She has had such plans for their show… they needed a little more time to come in with the bang she aimed at.

 

On the downside, it meant more work under less time. Workers were silently raging they can’t get the winter vacation they were hoping for. Models, who had other jobs for the beginning of the year, were frustrated they must miss out on extra money because of the late show. The only calm one was Jessica herself. Unlike everyone else, she knew exactly why the date had to be changed. And she was willing to go through all of it, for that very reason.

 

A light knocking on the door tore the heiress out of her thoughts.

 

„Come on in.”

 

The one stepping in was Hyomin. The usually bright, carefree designer was looking worn-out behind her thick-rimmed glasses. She bowed her head before speaking up.

 

„I have finished for today, madam.”

 

„Good. Before you go though, please, look at this.”

 

The director of Blanc & Eclare stepped out of the way so her work of art can be seen. The designer has only taken a glance but her eyes doubled in size instantly.

 

„Madam, is that –

 

„Beautiful? Tasteful? Perfect? All of that above? Yes, indeed.” Jessica assured before giggling. She lifted the sleeve of the jacket, affectionately caressing the material between her fingers then let it fall back to its place. „I want to add this to the show. It’s possible, right?”

 

Hyomin opened to speak before closing it just as quickly. Seemingly she was re-thinking her words. When she came up with the best possible way to say it, she looked at her boss.

 

„The pieces haven’t been finalized yet so I can say, it is possible. However, madam, I feel it important to remind you that –

 

Jessica her heels with a sharp look.

 

„I don’t think you are in position to remind me of anything. Know your place, dear… As of this piece, I need it to be shown. It will be perfect for our center, Kris. Don’t you think?”

 

„Yes, it will be.” The designer answered obediently. Deep down, she was still opposing to the idea, but after being scolded like that, she thought better to leave this to the heiress' care and responsibility.

 

Jessica was so high on revenge, she thought of no consequences. Actually, while she was going with it…

 

„Tell me, Hyomin, when will the invitations be sent?”

 

„Tomorrow. Youngji is in charge.”

 

„Alright. Tell her I want four seats for Hong’s House. Send the invitations according to that.”

 

„Yes, madam.”

 

Hyomin left the room bewildered. Blanc & Eclare has been an unusual company from the start. Under the good pretense of family-like aura and family-friendly clothing, her colleagues were fearing their jobs and worked nonstop… But that was fine. Good work has kept them on the top and on good salary as well. However, these decisions, Jessica Jung has come to lately, were going against principles Hyomin has always cherished. Creativity and decency. She went home feeling uneasy.

 

Inside, Jessica was having a phone call.

 

„What do you mean you can’t get here?”

 

„Sica, I’m abroad.”

 

„And? Jump on the next plane and get your fine over here.” The woman ordered before sighing. „I was sewing this all night, Kris. You could at least try appreciating my work… You could try and appreciate me. I would very much appreciate you in return.”

 

The model at the other end of the line was silent for a while. When he spoke up, he sounded gentler.

 

„Are you alone?”

 

„Shortly I will be. Everybody is leaving in ten.”

 

„I will finish here up in an hour… I can be in Seoul by one, if you want.”

 

Jessica smiled widely at her success.

 

„Splendid. I will be at home. Don’t make me wait.”

 

„I won’t. Bye.”

 

She finished the phone call feeling incredible. Everything was going just the way she has wanted it. Related to both business and love life, she was on the top.

 

Jessica would be a damn liar if she said she hasn’t thought about getting close to Kris Wu when she recruited him… but to think they will have a relationship as such, was beyond her expectation. She didn’t think the Chinese-Canadian will so easily jump into her bed. Frankly, she expected him to be less easy. Jessica liked the chase, when she had to go all the way for someone. On the contrary, Kris was a man who was willing to devote all his love and time for the one, but only if he was getting loved in return. If he wasn’t rewarded on the way, he would easily give up… Jessica made sure to give him all the love he needed. Even if it meant more physical activities than emotional support. Kris is a big boy after all. He can take care of his feelings.

 

Jessica looked at the piece of fabric wrapped around the mannequin once again. The more she looked at it, the more content she felt. Something occasionally reminded her this is not the best way to go. Even if it’s about revenge, she could smart out her opponent in another way. But that little voice she mostly shut out.

 

She didn’t need it when she had everyone else. And she obviously won’t need it when she will have everything Hong Hana has.

 

 

 

 

 

Author's Note

Hello again... It was some time ago, wasn't it? Well, a lot of things have happened to me since I posted Chapter 16 for you last year. I don't want to talk about it here because one, it is not an excuse; and two, I dont wan't to bore any of you with it. The point is, as you can see from this update I'm writing Color Me Into Your World again and this time, I do my best to update regularly.

Believe it or not, with this chapter I think we are halfway through the story itself. Interesting, right? In my opinion, the next two chapters will mark the middle for real [I already have them written for you and depending on how I feel about it/what response I get for this chapter, I post them real soon] but I can definately say, whether you are happy about it or not that Hana and Chanyeol's story has reached its middle around these chapters. It feels kind of sad to me, to be honest. This story is like a child to me whose hands I am reluctant to let go. ^^"

But don't worry, I still have a lot in store, After all, Blanc & Eclares fashion show hasn't taken place yet and as weird as it feels during summertime, it is almost New Years Eve in the timeline of the story. You can have much anticipation for it! :) [Anyone remembering the cover shoor for Stardust, It has not come out yet either.]

For those twenty-four people who have either stayed subscribed during this hiatus or newly joined in, and also all those who have managed to get this story 1200+ views, you are all amazing. Please know that I am utterly thankful. Reader support is one of the keys to be a writer and stay a writer. I will do my best to repay you for your kindness with great chapters. Seriously, I owe you ❤

See you soon!

 

chloris

 

ps. And what could be a better welcome back than the fact the great and so kind mizusora has made a design for us! It's beautiful, isn't it? I think I am in love it ><