Six

Insufferable

“I can’t believe how rude June is, I mean he still comes across as a nice guy on camera,” Mei frowned, a slice of pizza dangling perilously in front of .  Summer waited for a moment, sure all the toppings were about to fall into the girl’s lap, but Mei scooped it into last minute.

 

“Of course he has to look nice on camera, otherwise no one would like him and there’d be no point to him being an idol.”

 

“True.  I’m glad you finally stood up to him though.  He’s just lucky I wasn’t there otherwise I would have given him a piece or two of my mind,” Mei stated as she swallowed her mouthful, waving the rest of the slice in the air as she did so.  Summer snorted, taking a bite of her own and hoping that she wouldn’t end up choking.

 

“Let’s face it, you would have given him your entire mind, not just a piece of it.”  The Japanese girl merely shrugged at the words, knowing it was probably true.  She had a temper on her that often made Summer cringe and sometimes fearful.  More than once she had either had to hold Mei back, or run away as the girl released her fury on what or whoever had ignited her anger.

 

“Also why did you have to go and return Bobby’s shirt?”

 

“Um, because it belonged to him?”

 

“Should’ve just kept it anyway.  Or at least traded it out for Hanbin’s and then given it to me,” Mei pouted and this time Summer did choke, thumping on her chest to try and clear her airways.  When she had finally succeeded she placed what was left of her pizza back in the box, wiping and glaring only half jokingly at her friend.

 

“First of all, I have no idea which one is his.  Secondly, I’m about ninety-nine percent sure that would get me fired,” she pointed out and once again Mei shrugged, muttering something about Summer never taking chances.  She could only roll her eyes, reaching for a wet wipe in an attempt to degrease her hands.  Then she tucked her feet up underneath her, leaning further onto the bed.  “If you’re lucky I’ll bring you his water bottle, then you can clone him or whatever creepy thing it is you’d want to do.  Now let’s start this drama, because as much as I love you I love sleep just a little bit more and I would like to get some tonight.”

 

With a grumble and some face pulling, Mei pulled the pizza closer to her and reached for the remote, pressing play and allowing the opening scenes of the drama to light up the laptop screen.

 

_________________________________________________________
 

The last thing Summer wanted to do when her alarm went off the next morning was to drag herself out of bed and head to university, especially with the layer of snow that had fallen overnight.  She celebrated making it through all her classes without falling asleep by agreeing to meet Seoyeon at the cafe afterwards and ordering the biggest coffee she could manage without risking a heart attack.  After a minor argument via text Summer had convinced the woman to let her purchase the drinks as the start of her repayment for getting her a job.  And so she found herself cradling her mug between her hands, trying to limit the amount of sips she took so that she didn’t finish the drink before Seoyeon arrived.  Soon enough the door of the cafe swung open and Summer perked up when she saw the Korean, who immediately weaved her way over.

 

“Ah Summer-doll, I can’t believe it!” Seoyeon twittered as she sunk down into the seat opposite the foreigner, unwrapping the scarf that was draped around her neck.  “I almost regret getting you that job, I feel like I never see you anymore.”

 

“What can I say?  I miss sleep, but I enjoy having money.  It’s funny, I never really realised how satisfying it was to spend the money you know you earnt yourself,” Summer mused, finally taking a bigger mouthful of her coffee now that her friend was here.

 

“Well I’m happy for you.  How are you finding it anyway?  Heejin isn’t too bad is she?  I know she can be quite strict.”

 

“She’s creative in her criticism, I have to give her that.  And she keeps calling me Yureum instead of Summer, but I don’t dare correct her,” Summer started, fidgeting in her seat as she debated how exactly to word her next statement.  “I like her in a weird way, she cares about her job and the image she leaves behind.  But in all honesty, my biggest problem is June from iKON.”

 

Seoyeon looked surprised with her confession and a moment later the woman’s brows knitted together.  “What do you mean?  Like, a difficult kind of problem, or the kind of problem that involves waking up with your cheeks burning?”

 

“Ew, no.  Definitely the first.  He’s rude and completely obnoxious and keeps making my job twice as hard by leaving messes everywhere on purpose.  He even has the nerve to tape sticky notes to them,” she explained, her grip on the cup tightening as she felt the anger already rising inside her.  Seoyeon’s surprise seemed to double at the news, then it slowly melded into a look of curiosity instead.

 

“That’s strange.  I know Junhoe can be a little brash sometimes, but I would never say he’s been rude.  Are you sure you’re not just misjudging him?  Yah, Summer-doll, you weren’t rude to him first, were you?”

 

“No!  When have I ever been rude unnie?  He was the one that just walked out on me when I fell into a puddle,” Summer pouted and Seoyeon let out a gasp of laughter, quickly taking a mouthful of her drink to cover it up.

 

“Yeah, he may have mentioned that incident…” she said softly and it was Summer’s turn to look at the other curiously.  “He asked me about you, you know.  That’s why I thought it was strange.”

 

“You’re kidding me, right?”

 

“Deadly serious.  I asked whether they had seen you much and if they were treating you nicely and he asked if you were always so clumsy.  Of course I had no idea what he was talking about and then he told me you tripped over a bucket.  He left out the part where he didn’t help you.”

 

Summer let out a groan with the story, moving to cover her face with her hands.  She could just imagine Junhoe’s smug grin as he relayed the story to Seoyeon, probably relishing in the description of how pathetic she looked.  “Of course he didn’t, he would never paint himself in a bad light, he’s god’s gift on earth.”

 

“He’s not that bad Summer, give him a chance.  It was probably just a misunderstanding, I know his words can sometimes be taken the wrong way if you don’t know him.”

 

“Well I find him insufferable, I’m sure he has more than enough fans to make up for me,” Summer grumbled and Seoyeon raised her hands as she conceded defeat.  With a small smile the foreigner guided the conversation onto a brighter topic, refusing to let the precious time spent with her friend turn sour.  Koo Junhoe was her problem to deal with.