Twenty-One

Insufferable

If there was one thing Summer hated about the seasons starting to change it was the way some days were warming up but the nights still dropped to frigid temperatures.  It was one such day and although it had barely reached double digits it was enough to shed the true winter layers.  She had spent most of the day shopping with Seoyeon, who had the day off work and had been pestering her about needing a new wardrobe for the spring.  Somehow Summer had reined herself in from spending too much of her hard earned money, though there were a few items she couldn’t resist and couldn’t wait to be able to show off.

 

Despite having returned to her dorm to drop off her purchases, eat dinner, and grab her winter coat before heading over to work she hadn’t actually changed her clothes, and her legs were feeling the effects at either end of the journey.  Shoving her hands deeper into her coat pockets as if it would help her knees feel less numb she thought maybe she should have caught a bus despite the short distance between the station and the YG building.  But then if she had, she would have missed the figures standing near the corner up ahead.  She was still a block or so away from the YG building, and between that and the cold weather it was blissfully absent of any fans.  Which was probably why Junhoe thought it was safe to be standing in the open with his arm slung around a girl’s shoulders.

 

Summer pulled up short at the sight, shuffling closer to the front of the shop she was at in order to hopefully stay unnoticed, and grab what little warmth she could.  She watched as the girl leant in to say something and Junhoe laughed in response.  There was a strange knotting in the blonde’s stomach, and she brushed it absentmindedly with her hand as she focused her gaze elsewhere.  She was surprised that she hadn’t caught onto the fact that Junhoe had a girlfriend - but then again she was just a cleaner.  It seemed she would have to correct Mei on her theory, and even as Summer thought this it was as if a bubble had popped somewhere between her chest and her tummy.

 

When her gaze fell on them next the couple were embracing and Junhoe had his arms wrapped around her tightly, and his chin resting on top of her head as if he had missed her and would miss her terribly.  The movement of the pair also meant that he was facing Summer, and if he happened to open his eyes he would surely seeing her standing there gawking at them.  And so she tugged her beanie further down and forced herself forwards one step at a time, keeping her gaze steadily on the footpath in front of her.  Summer hoped that she could pass them without being spotted, but it seemed luck wasn’t on her side as her name was called.

 

It was impossible not to look up to it and Summer turned her head in time to see him pull away from the girl and wave at her before he jogged the few steps to catch up.  He fell into step beside her and it was silent as she reached to hit the button at the intersection.  The blonde tried to think what the best way to bring up what she had seen would be, after all it was sure to be a delicate issue.

 

“You two look close,” she said after a moment and Junhoe looked at her, slightly confused but mostly incredulous, before he pointed in the direction they had been standing.

 

“That was my sister,” he replied and Summer immediately felt like the biggest idiot, certain it showed on his face as he actually laughed.  But amongst that was a feeling of relief, like the burst bubble had turned into a cooling stream and that was what made Summer freeze and lose all outward coherency.  

 

Because why was she feeling relieved over the revelation when she shouldn’t care less about whether or whom he might be dating?  Why did she have the strange urge to laugh crazily at his words?  She could actually feel it bubbling up inside and it was only her nearly catatonic state that stopped it.  She shouldn’t be happy to know it hadn’t been a romantic hug, and that of course he would miss the girl because she was family.  Just like she probably shouldn’t have relistened to Junhoe’s message on the recording device twice more over the week, telling herself it was to ensure she wasn’t missing any other translations.  And it dawned on her she shouldn’t have felt her stomach twist when she had first seen the pair.

 

Because that was jealousy.

 

And there was no reason for her to be jealous.  She was supposed to be in the midst of a tentative display of treaty because she disliked him.  Even if it had been boring when they weren’t talking, or she actually enjoyed the aspect of work that was wondering what note or exchange there would be.  Mei’s words were being screamed in her head, but instead of hearing, ‘have you thought of the possibility that all of this is because he likes you?’ it came at her as, have you thought of the possibility that all of this is because you like him?

 

Summer wondered if she was going to have a conniption right there and then, until a pair of hands clamped onto her shoulders and she was being propelled forward.  Blinking she found the green man glowing up ahead and Junhoe pushing her across the road.  Instantly she twisted out of his grip and took a deep breath, taking over with her own legs.

 

“Yah, were you even listening to a word I said?” he asked as they hit the pavement on the other side and she shook her head, looking both sheepish and embarrassed.  Summer hoped that was all she looked because she was feeling like her heart might beat its way out of her chest.  “I was saying my sister’s visiting and I got special permission to go and have dinner with her for my birthday.”  

 

“It’s your birthday?” she asked and he shook his head, rolling his eyes in response.

 

“It’s on Thursday.  Just so you know that’s plenty of time to get a present, so I’m expecting a good one,” he said and she snorted.  Junhoe flashed her a smile that reminded her he had actually been trying and then proceeded to flick her hood up just before they approached the few fans that were still crazy enough to linger outside the building.  The pair shouldered their way past and speeding up Summer punched in the entry code for the door.  

 

She was facing a growing need to escape the boy and go and drown her face in a bathroom sink, but he seemed to be either completely oblivious, or not having any of it as he easily kept pace with her.  “Guess what?”

 

“What?”

 

“The others still have their regular dinner break, so you’re stuck with me,” he said and she actually let out a groan.

 

“Shouldn’t you be doing individual practice or something?”

 

“Yeah, well that’s what the practice room is for,” he pointed out, as they wound their way up to the correct floor.  Summer thought Lady Luck must take great delight in always messing her around, which was why She did it so much.  How was she even supposed to begin figuring out what her revelation was all about when she couldn’t even escape the source?

 

“Yeah, well I might get confused about what needs stain removing and spray you in the eyes with cleaning product.”

 

“But then I wouldn’t be able to see myself.”

 

“Good, I’d be doing the world a favour.”

 

“Ouch.”  The word came from smirking lips as Summer halted in front of the cleaner’s cupboard and Junhoe staggered on towards the practice room, his hand over his heart as if she had mortally wounded him.  In reality, it probably should have been the other way around.