Five

Insufferable

It seemed like the current week was full of a higher power’s efforts to try and unseat Summer.  The next night she had returned to the YG building determined for everything to go smoothly and no other accidents to happen.  She vowed there would be no more fantasizing, no matter how tempting it could be.  She would merely power through all the rooms and then retreat to clean the women’s bathroom in order to hide from Junhoe and Bobby.  But as she pulled the trolley out of the cupboard she was approached by Suhyun, who took her aside and informed her that the ladies toilet needed replenishing, which immediately dashed her ideal scenario.

 

Instead she attended to the bathroom first before focusing on the rooms, at least determined to get them done as quickly as possible and out of there.  The iKON boys had left a mess and she was particularly annoyed by the small pile of empty food packets that was left in a corner, a post-it note with a smiley face stuck to the top of it.  She had half a mind to return the favour to Junhoe - who she suspected was the culprit - somehow, though couldn’t think how in that moment, instead calling him a series of names that would shock most people as she collected it all and tossed it into the bin.  

 

As she scrubbed down the rest of the room she was aware of the fact that the translations she spoke into her recorder sounded considerably angry for being a transcript of an interview at an international relations meeting.  If asked she would make up some excuse for being passionate about trade with America.  She was halfway through a sentence when the sound of her phone rang out from her pocket and she immediately paused the device, knowing she would have to re-record that segment.  She was also glad that it hadn’t gone off in Heejin’s presence as she had clearly forgotten to put it on silent as usual.  Some of her bad mood slipped away when she saw the message from Mei, though she did feel guilty that she couldn’t spend as much time with her friend as she used to.

 

You, me, pizza once you’ve finished at work.

 

Deal, I’ll pick it up on the way home.  Extra cheesy?  And what about setting a theme and having some Cheese in a Trap to go along with it?

 

You read my mind.  You and I are soulmates, the way we finish each other’s…

 

Sandwiches.

 

Summer had just hit send when the sounds of voices drifted from down the hall and she let out a gasp when she realised that time was up.  She was just thankful she had managed everything except sorting out their haphazard belongings as usual.  And of course adding the finishing touch for that night - returning Bobby’s shirt to the pile.  She had washed it that morning and folded it in her bag to bring with her.  It was now perched on the edge of the trolley and Summer blindly placed her phone down, quickly scuttling over to grab the clothing.  

 

She was halfway in her retreat to the bench when the door opened and she quickened her pace, all but tossing the shirt down and spinning around.  All seven of the boys noticed her presence, though all but Junhoe and Bobby seemed unaltered.  As she skirted around them she caught Bobby’s eye, bowing her head in what she hoped would convey her thank you for the shirt.  When she raised it again she met with Junhoe whose gaze was narrowed at her suspiciously, though she couldn’t work out what she had done this time.  Had he caught her returning Bobby’s shirt?  Tearing her eyes away, Summer reached for the familiar weight of the trolley, pushing it out of the room.

 

The girl was halfway down the hall when she realised she had left her phone on the bench and with a sharp inhale she spun around and ran back to the room.  Why did she have to go and keep embarrassing herself in front of iKON?  Soon enough she would become a nuisance and surely they would tell someone and get her fired.  She wasn’t sure why she thought sneaking in was the way to go - perhaps she had high hopes that she could creep in and out without being noticed.  Unfortunately as soon as she opened the door seven heads turned her way and she bit down on her lip nervously.

 

“Um, I left my phone on the bench,” she muttered, her eyes growing wide when she looked over to see Junhoe and Jinhwan sitting either side of roughly where she remembered dropping it.  Sure enough the eldest boy held up the device, looking at her questioningly.  Scratching at the side of her head nervously she gave him a nod, shuffling across the room and holding out her hand.  “Thanks.”

 

“No problem,” the boy beamed and she felt herself relax a little, hopeful that he wasn’t annoyed with her after all.  That quickly gave way when Junhoe snorted from next to Jinhwan, rolling his eyes at her.  

 

“You should keep better track of your belongings,” he sniped and she placed her hands on her hips, brows knitting together as she glared at him.  

 

“Says the one who washed his phone with soap and water.”  Summer knew the statement would give away her fan status, but in her mind it was too good to pass up.  It seemed to work as Jinhwan let out a giggle and Junhoe’s gaze grew darker.  With that she flashed him a smile, before slipping her phone into her pocket and striding away.

 

As she left the room Summer felt a little better about herself.  Finally she had managed to do something other than stand there gaping at them like some kind of deformed fish.  And not only that, but she had managed to return the favour to Junhoe; perhaps now he would no longer see her as some pathetic clutz who couldn’t string a sentence together, but someone who could hopefully give as good as she got.  Maybe there was even the chance that he would apologise to her the next time she saw him and treat her with a little bit more respect.  Pulling her phone out as she heard it buzz once more, she opened the message from Mei, tapping out a reply almost blindly as she continued down towards the bathrooms.

 

I should be done in half an hour.  I have a story for you.