Sixteen

Insufferable

True to her word Summer was in YG studios earlier than usual the next day as part of the agreement.  She had been wondering how it would work with the groups still practicing, learning once she had arrived that iKON had been given the evening off required practice due to the concert the night previously.  The blonde was mildly surprised considering they had spent Saturday travelling to the venue and that morning travelling back and knew how much the company emphasised every moment spare to be spent perfecting themselves.  She wasn’t complaining though, knowing it would be the perfect opportunity to wax the dance room floors.

 

She had everything ready, even her voice recorder slung around her neck and so it was a sigh that left her lips as she opened the door to be met with music and a lone figure.  No one was supposed to be in here, so of course it stood to reason that Junhoe would be.  He didn’t seem to notice her entry at first and knowing it was pointless to try and call out over the music she simply leant against the trolley, her chin propped up by one hand.  Summer wondered how long it would take him to realise she was there and a few moments later when he spotted her, spinning around to stop the music she decided it wasn’t as long as expected.

 

“How long have you been standing there?” he asked, his eyes narrowed in accusation and she flashed him an amused smile.

 

“Long enough to confirm you really do only look at yourself,” she started, pulling out a broom and brandishing it at him from a distance.  “What are you doing here?”

 

“This is our practice room and we are allowed to put in optional practice.  Hence why Chanwoo’s singing down the hall and Hanbin’s in the recording studio.  I didn’t realise I needed your majesty’s permission.”

 

“Well I was told no one would be in here so I can give it a nice, deep clean in lieu of paying you lot a visit in Daegu last night.  Which includes waxing the floor, which means your sweaty being can’t be in here,” she informed as she made her way towards the end of the room that he stood in.  Junhoe was glaring at her and it brought to light the differences between him now and what she saw last night.  Surely there was no way he could be the same person, his face even looked completely different.  Though perhaps that was the make-up.  

 

Coming to a halt in front of him Summer couldn’t help but study him curiously.  He looked back at her, as if it was some kind of staring match and even as he did so she reached up, jabbing at the corners of his mouth with both a finger and the broom handle, causing him to step backwards.  “What the hell are you doing?”

 

“Trying to figure out how you managed to smile last night.  It does appear you have the muscles for it,” she answered, making to reach up again and he batted her hand out the way, glaring at her.  

 

“Yeah, I’m perfectly capable of it when someone’s actually funny,” he responded, his arms moving to cross over his chest even as his glare turned into a glint of amusement.  “What I didn’t think was capable was someone going so gooey eyed.  I thought you were going to start spurting rainbows last night when Jiwon hyung winked at you.  Did you actually manage to do it when he jumped off the stage?”

 

“How nice of you to notice our interactions Junhoe, I had no idea you were paying so much attention,” Summer replied in a sweet voice, laced with innocence that was entirely absent.  She wished she hadn’t though, because even as she spoke the words they sounded true and somewhere in the back of her mind Mei’s voice started nagging.

 

“Please, you could smell the pheromones from a mile away,” he scoffed and it was her turn to cross her arms, raising a chin in defiance to his snide comment.  With a click of her tongue she pursed her lips.

 

“Is that so?  Well, if we seem to have such great chemistry and you’re always pushing for it maybe I should go and find him right now and ask him on a date,” she announced, spinning on her heel and making to move off.

 

“No!”  The cry made her pause mid-step, and like it was some kind of adrenaline trigger Summer felt her heart immediately start thumping in her chest.  It wasn’t any kind of reaction she had expected and it made her almost too afraid to turn around.  Practically in slow motion she forced herself to, collecting her nerves and mentally bundling them against her as she did so.

 

“Why not?” she posed, her voice surprisingly calm and curious.  The girl could see surprise was etched on his face as well, as if he hadn’t meant to call out.  It seemed though, that the time it had taken for her to collect herself was enough for him as well.

 

“He’s with manager hyung and you’ll get him in trouble.  And you’ll be fired,” he answered and Summer tilted her head to regard him.  She hoped that the way she was smiling now made him uncomfortable, as if he had just walked into some kind of trap.

 

“I thought you’d be itching to report me.”

 

“I apologised for that, didn’t I?”

 

“You apologised for calling me a ssaesang,” she pointed out and saw a dark mix of emotions cloud his eyes.  She had won, but she had perhaps gone a step too far.  He would be far too prideful to admit it was a general apology and even as she had said it she felt that she had broken some kind of unspoken bond in their understanding of the situation.  Guilt welled up and she couldn’t bring herself to focus on anything but the broom in her hands.  “Sorry.  Look, I need to clean this room and I can’t do it while anyone’s in here…”

 

“I got it.  I wouldn’t want to spend anymore time in here anyway.”  His words were clipped as he spoke them and Summer waited, chewing endlessly on her lip as he collected his belongings, too busy staring at her feet to notice the look Junhoe threw over his shoulder before he left the room.