Thirteen

Insufferable

“You have a pencil smudge on your forehead,” Mei commented, reaching up to try and rub Summer’s forehead and causing the girl to wince at the touch.  Flinching away she held a hand against it, frowning.

 

“That’s not pencil, that’s a bruise.”

 

“How did you manage that?” the Japanese girl asked as Summer adjusted her beanie so that it sat lower.  She had noticed the mark in the mirror that morning, though to her it didn’t look prominent at all.  Clearly she was either wrong, or it had deepened over the day.

 

“I didn’t.  Junhoe threw a shoe at my head,” she answered, letting out a sigh and reaching forward to grab the cup of steaming coffee that sat on the table in front of her.  The girl was glad for the warmth of it after making the trek to the cafe from the university dorms.

 

“Wow, you guys are getting physical now?  Impressive.”  The grin that was spread across Mei’s face could rival that of the cheshire cat and Summer couldn’t help but chuckle at it despite her mouthful of coffee.  Which in turn made her choke somewhat as she tried to swallow it.

 

Even after the burning liquid had passed the blonde tried to play it up, wondering how to explain it to the girl.  That it had actually been an accident despite Junhoe’s over dramatic rummaging, and that he had done so because she snapped at him when he came to apologise.  Because really that’s where the story would inevitably lead and for several seconds Summer toyed with her napkin, before deciding she may as well cut to the chase.

 

“He apologised.”

 

“As well he should, that must’ve hurt,” Mei stated, giving the girl a pointed look before grabbing her cup and raising it to her lips.  Summer chewed on her lip gently, forcing herself to leave the napkin alone and instead placed her hands in her lap.  Then she shook her head gently at her friend.

 

“I didn’t mean for that.  Although come to think of it the prick didn’t actually say sorry for it.  But I mean, he came and apologised for being so rude.  That’s how the shoe incident happened; I uh, may have jumped the gun and insulted him before he even opened his mouth,” she admitted and the dark haired girl froze in place, her cup still pressed against her lips.  It seemed to take an age before she moved again, all the while Summer sat fidgeting in her seat.  

 

“Interesting…”

 

“I know right?  Who would have thought it possible?  Maybe Donghyuk forced him into it, played up his injury and said he’d only feel better if Junhoe apologised?” the girl mused but Mei gave no indication of hearing, seeming deep in her own thoughts.  With a wry look Summer waved her hand in front of the other’s face.  “Hello?  Earth to Mei?”

 

With the actions Mei sparked back into life, yet Summer felt suddenly uneasy with the way she was being looked at.  It was a clear whatever the girl was thinking was a source of great intrigue and amusement.  Mei tilted her head to one side, a small smile creeping over her face.  “Hey Summer.  Have you thought of the possibility that all of this is because he likes you?”

 

“Don’t be ridiculous, he has shown nothing but disdain for me from the very first moment we met,” Summer waved her off, but Mei merely placed her cup back onto the table and leant forward, allowing the foreigner to catch the glint in her eyes.

 

“Yeah, but remember when you were young and if a boy hit you or made fun of you it meant he liked you?”

 

“Remember how we’re not twelve?”

 

“Come on Summer; he’s spent half his life shut up in a training room, he’s probably never grown out of that.  Or you know, your beauty just blew him away and the poor boy doesn’t know how to react.”  With the statements Summer snorted, glad that she hadn’t taken another mouthful of her drink.  Mei however, was staring at her seriously now, no hint of the smile she had worn before.  “Seriously though, have you considered it a possibility?”

 

“No, of course not.  Because it isn’t,” Summer replied matter-of-factly, picking up her mug and draining the last of her drink as if to prove a point.  Mei was pouting slightly, before narrowing her eyes and leaning in close again.

 

“Why are you so against it?  Come on, you can’t pretend he isn’t good looking.”

 

“Because remember the part where he’s been nothing but a giant A-hole to me?  Besides, you know full well I’m a Bobby fan.  That’s like me asking you if you’ve ever considered asking Chanwoo out on a date when B.I is standing right there,” the blonde pointed out and Mei let out a dramatic sigh, finishing the rest of her drink now as well and rising to her feet.  Summer followed suit, rugging herself back up before they trailed a path across the cafe and out into the streets of Seoul.

 

“Fine, I’ll drop it.  But just remember this conversation when the next time he approaches you it’s with a confession,” Mei said stubbornly as she adjusted her scarf and Summer shot her a daggered look.  With a small shrug the girl led the way, looping her arm through the blonde’s.  “I’m just saying.”

 

“Mei, even if all the planets aligned at the same time as an eclipse happened and the stars foretold a blazing future it would be a terrible idea.  All that would happen is arguing, I mean he even said he does it because it’s fun.”  As soon as the words were out of Summer knew she had said the exact wrong thing and Mei’s dropping of the topic would be forgotten.  Even as she was silently scolding herself the girl was untangling them both, swinging around to stand in front of her and block their progress.

 

“Oh my god, Summer!  Are you serious?  Oh that boy definitely likes you.  Forget confessions, the next time he sees you he’s probably just going to kiss that forehead of yours better.”

 

“You are so dramatic.  Why are you studying Korean instead of acting?  All it means is he’s a sadist who enjoys watching other people suffer.  Now can we please keep moving before I turn into a living icicle?” Summer urged, sidestepping the girl and grabbing onto her arm as she passed.

 

“Am I a sadist too?  Because I’m enjoying watching you suffer right now.  Koo Junhoe likes you - hey Summer you’re blushing,” Mei teased and Summer muttered something under her breath, trying to convince both of them that it wasn’t a blush and merely an effect of the cold air against her face.  Because there was no way Junhoe could like her and Summer would continue telling herself that, lest she trip over another bucket.