Where The Bed Hides Another Secret

How I Became The Accidental Bride

It was the afternoon of a warm Saturday when Changkyun received a phone call from the hospital.

"Hello?" he spoke with his just-woke-up tone, pushing the thick comforter off himself. I mentally sighed, feeling a little sad about the absence of his warmth. We both had woken up late that morning and had laid down on bed for what meant like hours, me resting in Changkyun's embrace. It was funny to see him squinting his eyes as he pulled up the curtains, both of us being temporarily blinded by the rays of sunlight as it came through the glass sliding door. He was still on his phone as he stepped into the shower, leaving me alone on the bed as I stared at the ceiling.

"Sekyung! Can you help me over here?" he shouted from the bathroom. I made a small groan as I got up from the bed, back aching after the extended time on the mattress. I walked in a dizzy motion, the world seemingly spinning as I did. I was sure I was about to hit the floor as I stumbled when a pair of arms caught mine and I looked up to see a half- Changkyun only with his towel on looking at me with worried eyes. 

I swear that the room heat had raised by a hundred degrees.

"Are you okay?" he asked, helping me up to stand properly. "Yeah, I'm fine. Just too much sleep, I guess," I nervously laughed, shaking my head and my eyes darted everywhere as I struggled not to stare at his perfectly built frame. An idea popped into my head and I looked straight into his eyes, avoiding to look at his inhumanely deep collarbones. "What is it that you need me to help with again?" I asked quickly as I awkwardly crossed my arms before leaning to my side on the door.

He handed his phone to me with a grin on his face, "Sorry, I forgot to place it back after the call," he spoke, to which I nod nervously as the end of my eyes caught sight of his broad chest. I gulped, nodding and slowly backing off before turning to leave. An arm caught mine and I turned to see Changkyun with an eyebrow raised. "What now?" I asked, feeling annoyed as I wanted to leave there before things could get more awkward. He raised his other hand and I slapped my forehead before taking his phone, muttering a low sorry as I did. He chuckled and I tensed as his hand reached for a strand of my hair before tucking it behind my ear. 

"Your ears are red," he spoke, lowering himself so that his face was near mine. I gulped as I looked up, locking his golden brown eyes with my dull ones. "And your cheeks," he said as his hand moved to poke the left one, "They're flaming." He suddenly smiled, pulling away from me before letting out a small chuckle as he ruffled my hair. "You're so...different," he spoke before closing the door. I placed my hand on my chest just as he did, letting the breath that I've been holding since he poked my cheek.

 

I am not going to help him next time he calls me to the bathroom.


The smell of kalguksu was radiating the whole house, making me really hungry as I continued stirring it in the pot. Changkyun must've had the same idea, as the moment I turned off the stove he stepped out of the bedroom, dressed in a red dress shirt and a pair of black pants. He placed his coat on the couch before stepping up to the kitchen, taking out the bowls, chopsticks and glasses for us to use. I gently placed the steaming hot bowl of kalguksu on the table before placing the jug of orange juice suit. It wasn't long before we both had started eating, satisfying our hunger with the noodles.

"Thanks Sekyung. This is really good," he spoke between slurps, finishing his noodles in five minutes straight. I was only done eating half of the bowl when the question that lingered in my mind popped. "Why are you wearing work clothes?" I asked, setting the chopsticks gently in the bowl. He wiped his mouth with his napkin before speaking, "I've been called by the hospital today. There's a case they need me to work on." "Oh," I nodded, continuing to stuff myself with the noodles. He stood up before going to the sink to wash his bowl, and I followed him soon after.

After cleaning up the table I sent him to the door, tying his tie before fixing the coat he was wearing. My hand cupped the side of his face before leaning to give him a short peck on the lips, a routine that I've been used to since a few weeks ago. We both bid goodbye then, and I watched his car speeding off before closing the gates and the door shut. I wasn't a fan of idling around so I decided to make myself useful by cleaning the house.

There wasn't much to clean, really. Since Changkyun was a really neat person I only had to dust off the frames a few trinkets in the house. I took the advantage of dusting by observing the pictures framed on the wall, Most of it was of him with his friends, or himself alone. There wasn't a single picture of him with his family, and I was reminded that he was a lone child growing up with a single father. My heart ached with pity as I caressed his teenage face on the wall.

It must've been lonely for you, I thought to myself.

After I finished dusting I proceeded to scrub the toilets and vaccuum the carpet in my room. I was busy cleaning it when my eyes caught sight of a shiny object under the bed, catching my attention. I turned the vaccuum off before lifting the covers, giving me a better sight of what was down there. To my surprise it was a wooden box crafted with sapphires on it, giving it an elegant antique vibe. My hands traced the wooden flower carvings on it before I slowly opened it, expecting it to be a music box.

However, what I found was just a piece of paper. It was old, judging by the brownish and yellow texture of it. I turned it over to see a text written, something that I could not understand let alone read as the ink was almost fading away. I walked out of the room to Changkyun's office, hoping that the table lamp in his room can help. Placing the paper and box on the table I placed two stack of books before topping it with a translucent plastic platform and pushed the table lamp under the platform between the stack as it illuminated the plastic. I quickly placed the paper on it, and read the whole content.

 

My dearest Changkyun,

The moment you read this I'm probably already six feet under the ground, my body cold and my heart not beating. But do know that I have dedicated my whole life to guarding your life, even if it would cost mine. I apologize for not being able to watch you grow my darling, but do know that I have been watching you from afar, and how much I wish I could run to you and pull you into my arms and never let go. I wish I could accompany you to all yor graduation ceremonies, and be proud of what a brilliant man you have grown to become.

Changkyun,

Do know that your very life is in danger, and that the ones you love are also facing the same fate. I've seen the girl before, and I have to admit you have very sharp eyes young man. Guard her with your life, Changkyun. And protect yours as well. Your father will continue to do what he does best, which is the worst thing that any human can ever do. You know that right? Keep her away from him, and by the time you're 30 this whole disaster will end my dear. Keep yourself safe till then. Now I have done my part, and now its time for you to do yours.

Lots of love,

Mom

 


The whole day seemed to pass by quickly, and soon it was already evening and the sound of a car engine can be heard. I quickly placed the box back under the bed, and I placed the paper swiftly in between the pages of my books. The door opened and in came a tired-looking Changkyun, coat in one hand and suitcase in the other. I placed my book on the nightstabd before approaching him ,taking his bag and coat before setting it carefully on the table. I looked up to him and saw that he was giving me a rather confused look, his lip tight and his eyebrows furrowed. As I helped him put away his tie he cleared his throat before taking my hand, interwining it with his. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," I answered laconically, gently freeing my hand from his grasp and looking away before he gripped it back once again. The pulling force caused my petite frame to crash with his built one, and I could already feel my ears reddening. "What is it?" he asked again, this tiime the tone of his voice a little higher. I gulped as I watched his golden brown eyes piercing mine, and I could clearly see the reflection of myself through it. "Nothing, seriously," I laughed nervously, and he let me go slowly before walking away, and I looked down to the floor as he did, feeling guilty. I looked up to see where he went.

When I felt a force crashing and embracing me, strong yet comfortable at the same time.

"Changkyun what-" 

I was cut off when he crashed his lips with mine, strong and fiery with passion. Before I realized it my back was against the wall, and his right hand cushioned the back of my head to protect me from the impact. Everytime he let go I would pause to retort but he would simply kiss me again, up until I lost my breath. When he let go for the third time we both locked eyes, and I could clearly see what were behind his dilated pupils.

Lust, rage, anger.

But mostly, disappointment.

In the end, I gave up and just let everything went as the way it should be that night, kissing him back with the same amount of passion.

Because it had felt so right.

 


 

"In the end, it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years,"

- Abraham Lincoln -