005

The Dragon Heiress #1

The first attack in Seoul came during midday so that everyone knew something big happened. The bombing sound was so loud that half of the city must have heard it. Half of the building became ruins and the other half collapsed in great fire. It was coincidentally timed so that the bomb would launch off during the directorial meeting. From what I had heard, two thousands people died, most of which were our company’s employees, while six thousands suffered non-threatening injuries.

 

Our Elders survived the attack, only because of our superior genes that differed us from mere human. We might not have powers or magic, but we were faster, stronger, and in a sense, more durable. They had rushed out at the right timing, and suffered injuries, which would probably heal hours later.

 

The case was so similar to 911 and the recent Paris attacks, so our companies dismissed it as another terrorist attack. Seoul was in an emergency mode. Horror was thick in the air and panic struck most of the citizens who feared for their lives. People blamed ISIS for this and even the prime minister himself called the Elders to make sure everything was alright. The government was conspiring with us, so the attack was not investigated fully and the police fed the media with more lies to cover up the truth.

 

To be completely honest, no one knew the truth. It was not a small attack where it would only affect and killed off smaller number of people. This was too coincidental. The timing was suspicious. A few important clients were killed that day and I was pissed off. I was very mad but I could not just point fingers at anyone. Simultaneously, this was also the incident that brought me closer to both my protectors, because as Sehun had said, I could only rely on them right now.

 

“I have assigned the compensation fee to our finance department. Jongin, make sure to check the progress because this will be covered in tomorrow’s newspaper. We don’t want anymore damaging reputation that what we already have,” The atmosphere in this room was gloomy and depressing. I could not arrange a meeting with the Elders because they were still rejuvenating from their wounds. So it was only three of us that coped up with everything.

 

“I apologise that your initiation will have to wait, but there is no way to delay your job anymore,” I grimly added, sitting on the leather couch in an imposing manner. There was no trace of laughter or smile on our faces. Not even the sarcastic Jongin had anything to say at the moment. “I need you to swear to me right now that everything you do, must be done for the best of my interest. Swear what you need to swear so that we can move on quickly.”

 

Since they had not taken their protectors’ vows yet, they were viewed inactive. But right now, I was pushing them to say it before the formal party, which would be delayed or canceled until further announcement. Both did not hesitate for a bit.

 

“I swear that everything I do, I will do it for my Lady. I vow to live for her and to die for her. I vow to cherish her and to respect her. I vow not to leave her side and assist her in everything she does,” They simultaneously said it. They seemed to have practiced it together.

 

Then Sehun added on with his own vow, “To be there for her when she needs me most. To remind her of what is wrong and right. To follow her anywhere she goes, be it dark or light, good or bad.” I looked expectantly at Jongin, for he, too, needed to say something, “I vow to take the bullets for you, no matter what it takes, from now until forever.” It was short, but I did not have the time to ask for more.

 

I nodded and gave them rings, which they wore on their right hand’s ring finger. The ring might look rather bland, but when it was under the sun, you could see the dragon symbol on the sapphire, almost alive and moving. It was passed down from the generation before them.

 

“And I shall trust you with my life,” I replied to their vows only half-heartedly. I still found it hard to trust them, but I was willing to try, at the very least. Kim Joonmyun had not heard of this from me, but he probably read it somewhere in the newspaper, and he was the last person I wanted to contact right now. My priority right now was myself, my two protectors and the clan.

 

“Now for a starter, do not contact any of the Elites,” I instructed, thinking that twenty killing machines would only add trouble to this whole matter. “Sehun, you go and investigate if Byakko is really the one behind this. You, Kim Jongin, after you are done with the compensation fund, go check out on our employees to find out who leak out the meeting schedule to outsiders.”

 

“And what do you want me to do to that spy?” Jongin’s eyes were passive and lifeless, such that they were cold enough to freeze someone with a single glance. He folded his arms in front of his chest and sat on the wooden table ignorantly. While Sehun had been trying to get closer to me, Jongin was doing the opposite. And I could not say I was not happy with it.

 

“Bring him here,” My eyes met his. “I will personally deal with that betrayer. Afterwards, we have to contact Elder Jaehyun to rearrange the initiation. That, or the entire clan will assume I am not taking care of you guys well enough.”

 

“Consider it done,” Jongin’s fists hardened. There was a newfound determination in his usually ignorant demeanor. “I am taking a one-year leave from the university, Sehun. I don’t know about you, but my decision is final.”

 

I had wanted to take leave, too, but high school did not provide such choice because it was my final year. In the end, I really had to rely on Sehun and Jongin to finish some tasks I could not cope with. Sehun, the more rational of the two nodded understandingly and replied, “I will do that as well. It’s inevitable anyway, seeing that Sena would not be able to handle some of the things by herself.”

 

“Speaking of which, Jongin, you will go by the name Kai as a protector,” I pointedly stared at Jongin. He raised his eyebrow at me, but did not say anything against it. Jongin was too hard and too long to pronounce. Kai sounded so much better. “Ah, before I forget, we are going to Singapore in two days.”

 

“I thought this is an internal conflict, Sena. Shouldn’t we settle this within ourselves first?” Sehun was surprised that I would even go out of the country when things were chaotic like now. However I had my own calculation that things would get even worse if we kept this hushed.

 

“Jongin is going with me, and that is final,” I decided, “There is someone I have to meet there.”

 

***

                 

I did not know why Jongin alarmed me every damn time I was near him. This guy reeked of danger, and I was not talking about the sort of threat he imposed on innocent young girls, but the murderous kind that alerted you that something was terribly wrong with him, and my instinct was rarely wrong. So I brought him with me to Singapore just to keep a tab on him.

 

“How long are we staying?” He put down our luggage in the hotel room and kept a distance away from me. I was absentminded when he talked to me, because I was feeling conscious from all the envious stares the girls directed at me. Being Kim Jongin, he either ignored them, or he just did not realize it.

 

Hey,” He called out again, and I almost snapped at him. Then I looked around and coughed awkwardly. “You are out of it again. Be careful,” he hissed and pulled me from a passerby who was about to bump onto me. There was a noticeable scowl on his fair face and after that, he did not try to ask again.

 

I pursed my mouth in annoyance and crossed my hands. “A week at least, two weeks at most.”

                 

“And you choose Chinatown out of all places,” He muttered it quietly, but I could hear it. We no longer kept a distance away because the place was so crowded on weekend. At times, I could feel his hands inches away from touching my waist, just to keep me away from strangers. I was grateful, but I did not want to boost his ego.

 

This was the fifth time I had been to the Lion city. Chinatown was always buzzing, filled with tourists and locals alike. I switched on my phone to check on the messages Sehun sent me. So far, the main building that was destroyed had started the rebuilding process again. The compensation fund went smoothly, and even if the victims’ families wanted to complain, there was nothing much they could do because all the evidences pointed out to terrorism. In the end, they could only curse the terrorist and the casualty they had caused.

 

“Jongin,” I smiled at him sweetly, such that he gagged immediately at my expression and held his arms tightly, “Shut up and I will treat you to the best meatball noodles in town, okay?”

 

“As if that will work,” He mumbled and rolled his eyes, “But if you want to act like that,” he smirked and I had a bad feeling about this, “Might as well get in the role, right?” He pulled me by the waist without hesitation. I stifled a gasp from coming out loud, but my eyes narrowed at the sudden closeness, that I worried if I ever got a little bit nearer, my lips would be kissing his cheeks and I could count those thin, long lashes on his eyes.

 

I was not a total nun in the male area, but I was not exactly comfortable with the skinship Kai initiated. I huffed and puffed and bit my mouth shut. Had other girls before her felt the same way with their protectors? As far as she knew, no one in the history ever got married to their warriors, for it was not only taboo, but also cursed by God. 

 

Wait,” I halted my steps in the middle of a Buddhist temple. I detached myself from Jongin’s grasp and walked around. “He is probably somewhere around here.”

 

He?” Jongin pulled his hands out from his jeans’ pocket and followed my eyes’ direction. “Are we meeting the Genbu family in this kind of place?”

 

I was about to reply him, but a hand yanked me away and I braced myself for the impact. His touch was gentle, but his force was brutal. I had grown used to surprises with this man, be it good or bad, for he always showed up in the most unusual way. But Kim Jongin did not know that, and he reached out for my other hand and tried to tuck me away.

 

“I never expect you to have such a young protector, Dear,” His lips were touching my ear lightly as he spoke, and I shivered a little as his breathe hit my skin.

 

“Let me go. You can’t joke with him. Jongin, you, too,” I warned that guy and signaled Jongin to release his tight grasp on my wrist. At first, he looked at my captor murderously, but at my command, he released a heavy sigh and stepped away. My captor chuckled and loosened his grip on me, just enough for me to turn around and face that flawless, good looking man I had been waiting for the entire day.

 

Luhan.”

 

He beamed at me, and what a wicked smile it was, for it always managed to knock me out of my breath every single time. He spoke in an oriental Beijing accent that sounded heavier than usual,

 

En. I’ve missed you, Little Sena.”   

 

 

                   

 A/N: Luhan’s nickname for Sena is actually spoken in Chinese. He calls her Xiao Na (小娜), but I do not want to write it every damn time because it would sound weird.