Prologue

The Dragon Heiress #1

“The youngest daughter of this family shall be bestowed by the blood of the Water Dragon.”

Book of Dawn, 1445, R.S.

 

 

Oh Sehun sat on the middle side of the dining hall, along with his mother and a few close relatives. He was nineteen this year, an university freshman majoring in Engineering. This was his first time in an official family gathering, and the second for his other cousin of the same age – Kim Jongin. Sehun’s hair was dyed green of the darkest shade so that it resembled black under the dim light. Both his ears were pierced, but only one wore a crescent-shaped earring. He was calm and composed, occasionally smiling at the conversation the adults were having over the appetizers. To others, he was a very pleasant young man. To his cousin, Sehun was an eyesore.

 

Kim Jongin wore black suit to the dinner because he was the only representative alive from his family. The top two buttons were opened, revealing a slightly lighter skin, with trained muscles. The moment he stepped into the hall, it was as if a dark shadow was loomed above the room, sending everyone into a cautious and guarded stance. He glanced at Sehun, then at the five Elders sitting on the end of the table. As soon as he found his seat, next to Elder Hongbin, he sat down silently, his aura dominant and overwhelming. Just like Sehun, he was nineteen, but the difference between them is that of light and dark. Jongin pulled out his earplug as he waited very patiently for the main event. He did not have the appetite to touch any food at the moment, no matter how tempting they might look. 

 

 

 

(1)

I signaled the head butler to open the door. Mr. Kim obediently bowed at my arrival and pulled on the door handle that would expose me to the rest of the family members. It was finally time to show my face in front of the clan after I was legalized as the leader eighteen months ago.

 

The edge of my lacy long dress swept the floor in the most graceful manner possible. Admittedly, I might not be the most sophisticated lady on earth, but I always tried to carry myself with confidence and rationality. As I had expected, every eyes in the dining hall were directed on me; some accusing, some wondering. I had to hold my breath for a good thirty seconds before I reached the end of the table and onto my seat.

 

Everyone stood up instantly, almost as if they were trained to do so in synchronization, and indeed, they did it perfectly. I spotted a few familiar faces in the crowd, like Jongin and Sehun, and the five Elders on my left and right seats. “Lady Sena, welcome home.”

 

I did not want them to sit down immediately, because I disliked seeing the scornful looks on the Council. I knew they looked down on me because I was just eighteen. For God’s sake, I had not graduated high school yet and I already ruled a clan of fifteen thousand people. Naturally, it attracted envy and hatred from the clan members, especially the Elders.

 

“I appreciate the warm welcome,” I rested my hands on the table, my fingers knocking the glass table. Few of them shifted as they all waited impatiently, and it showed in their faces. “Mr. Kim, you can bring in the main course right now. Tell the rest to bring in some house-specialty cocktails and champagne.”

 

Mr. Kim had served the Yoon family for generations, so he understood the common courtesy and closed the heavy door as he exited the dining hall. Everyone squirmed in discomfort, and I smiled, waving lazily and commanded, “You can sit down now.”

 

“Before we start dining, I have a few things to announce.”

 

Just as the tense atmosphere slowly untangled, I had to start again to keep everyone’s attention. I knew much about handling a business, but ruling a clan in reality was a harder task, especially when I was facing cutthroat opponents who wanted me dead. I was used to these kinds of stares all my life, so I remained unfazed by them.

 

“First of all, I have finished my training in Japan, so I won’t be moving around anymore,” I stated very slowly so that everyone could hear. Better yet, they must understand the meaning behind my sentence, “That means I am moving to a high school in Seoul to complete my study while doing the other tasks I have as the leader of this clan.”

 

More than anything, I wanted to finish my education with at least, a bachelor degree to add onto my academic qualification. Yoon family might be one of the biggest clans in Asia, but that would not hinder me from going to school and enjoying my social life outside of a family that always tried to get at me. Sometimes, it was nice getting out of this tiny little world full of the Elders’ scrutiny.

 

No one spoke so I continued with ease, “For the time being, we need not to worry about the Suzakku, because last I heard, most of the main family have moved to England to avoid confrontation with the Byakko, who is still controlling most of the things in Australia and Southern Asia. After all, their shell is a thirteen-year old innocent boy who could do nothing but sparks fire to his own backyard.” A few faked empty laughter as my eyes scanned the crowd. “Alas, as a preventive measurement, we have established a short-term alliance with the Genbu.”

 

Genbu the Shield was worshipped by the Kim family, which held influential power in Southeast Asia and parts of America. They might not be big like Suzakku was, for the Wu family controlled most of America, Africa and Europe, nor were they ferocious like Byakko from the West, but Genbu was strong in defense. Their present leader had three sons and two daughters, but unlike our Seiryuu the Dragon who only blessed the youngest daughter of this family, the other three clans chose to bless the sons of their families.    

 

“That’s… great news,” Elder Doyoung furrowed his eyebrows in doubt because as far as he knew, Genbu had remained very passive and secretive for the last few decades. Even in the last fight, they chose to withdraw and stayed quiet in the shadow, as if they were waiting for the other three to kill each other off. That event had happened back in 1939, when the Second World War happened. “Have they chosen a new leader, is that why?”

 

“Not yet. The three sons are still going off at each other’s throat, none willing to let go,” I replied almost too calmly. They had been my friends, though I was only close to two of them. “At the rate they are going at, it might be possible for them to stop only when someone dies.”

 

Jongin suddenly threw me a stony glance, and it was then that I realized how insensitive my sentence was to him. He might be a member of this clan because of his mother’s strong ties and important position within the family, but his father came from a long line of Genbu’s branch family. I wanted to apologise, but those words were stuck in my tongue. My pride would not allow me to say sorry in front of all these Elders.

 

“How can they suddenly yield to us? Haven’t we vowed not to get involved with each other?” Elder Byunghun retorted. I turned to him and spoke, “Good point, Uncle. But the Genbu’s sons are my good friends, and we had an agreement out of concern for Byakko’s growing power. ‘Tis I can assure you.”

 

Mr. Kim arrived not long after and started arranging the food onto the long table. There were approximately fifty guests that arrived from the main family today, and to be honest, I was too lazy to move around to greet everyone. Instead, I turned to my left and talked to Elder Jaehyun, “Uncle, I think we can hold the initiation ceremony on this month’s full moon banquet. We can combine my eighteen birthday and their ascension together so that things will be less complicated for you.”

 

Between all of the Elders, I found Jaehyun to be the most reasonable and faithful. He was my grandfather’s second son, and unlike the Eldest Shi Yoon, who was greedy and overly ambitious, Jaehyun loved to work at his own pace and was extremely cautious. He was more introverted in nature, so I did not know much about him, but he was respectful enough not to question too much or underestimate my ability upon my succession.

 

“So do Jongin and Sehun know?” He asked, treading his words very carefully.

 

“They have been trained since they were a child. They should be ready to assume their positions now,” I lifted my head and looked at them both, quietly observing. If they knew I was looking – and they probably did, both did not show much reaction. Sehun only grabbed the dessert plate while Jongin’s plate remained empty. He did not look like he had much appetite for tonight’s dinner. “After all, Byakko is getting very impatient with their attacks and it is unnerving for me to just sit and watch.”

 

“I understand. I will start the preparation immediately,” Jaehyun nodded and proceeded to fill his plate with food. I had no mood to eat, and I remained seated until all the guests left the house. By then, my legs were numb from sitting in the same position for too long, my face was so tired from smiling too much, and even my shoulders were stiff. Only Jongin and Sehun remained because they were the only ones who stayed in the main house.

 

“Welcome home, Lady Sena,” it was Sehun’s first greeting to me. His smile was beautiful, especially under the midnight light, but I felt coldness sipping in at the title that he gave me.

 

“What happened to ‘cousin’?” I raised my eyebrows at him. I had been closer to Jongin in terms of family hierarchy, but all of us were still related to each other in a very complicated way.

 

The last time I saw Sehun was eight years ago, when I was ten and he was eleven. He had visited me shortly in the city of Luoyang, China, where I was trained for all sorts of ritual etiquette. Back then, his long hair that touched the nape of his neck was jet black, and even then, he was beautiful, as he was now. The only difference between that boy and this man was his smile and the effect that it brought on others.

 

“I don’t think I am worthy of calling you that anymore,” He was so polite. Pleasant, but too formal for my liking. I knew that grandfather was strict on manners, but the result of his training was scarily perfect. I turned to Jongin and blankly stared.

 

“There are only three of us in this house. I don’t think anyone cares,” was my reply to Sehun. Jongin had not uttered out a single sound. His earplugs were left dangling on his broad shoulder. I had only ever seen him twice in my entire life, and the last time was three years ago. Unlike Sehun, nothing had changed. He was still arrogant and insufferable.

 

“Hello, Jongin. We meet again,” My defense instantly shot up when I talked to him. He was supposed to be my protector, but I could not help the disturbing feeling that tugged into the corner of my heart.

 

“Yes. Finally,” A slow, sarcastic smirk slowly appeared on his face. This man was undeniably good-looking, but not statue-like like Sehun. His appearance alone could have stolen any girl’s sanity, not that I was particularly fond of him. My heart beat a tad bit faster and I slowly released the breath I had been holding for a while. This man, back then and now, was still dangerous.

 

“It’s already very late. You can go back and rest,” I waved at them and closed off the curtain. Jongin was the first to leave. His slow, sarcastic grin melted down to an almost bored, lazy face. He yawned and scratched his hair so that it became perfectly tousled and exited the room. Sehun left a bit later, somehow hesitant in his steps. “Are you sure that… we can leave you alone like this?”

 

I did not know what they were taught of, because I never read the protectors’ guideline. I only knew that they were supposed to be my right and left-handed man, always by my side in life or death. Usually the protectors were chosen from the branch family, based on the bloodline and their capability, but this generation’s strongest warriors came from the main family, instead, which was the first after millennias.

 

I had not checked on their data analysis because I figured that I did not need to do much of those checking. I trusted grandfather’s choices and believed they would be the best in their field. Besides, I had other things to worry about aside from my protectors. First day for high school, for example, would come at the top of my priority list. After all, what more could an eighteen year-old worry about aside from making the best first impression in front of the whole class.

 

The rituals and clan’s matters could wait a little longer.

 

 

right?