038

The Dragon Heiress #1

   

                  Knock.

 

                  “Sena, are you ready?”

 

                  I glanced at Aunt Go Eun and she was smiling at me so brightly. I would have recognized that voice anywhere since I practically grew up with him. Suddenly feeling nervous, I bit my lips and sheepishly asked the older woman for her opinion while twirling around to show off the dress, “Do you think I look okay?”

 

                  She pretended to think about it over and headed towards the door. I panicked a little but she gave me a headshake and a finger on the lips. So I was not supposed to say anything. She just wanted to see his reaction when he saw me in this red dress with translucent lacy cape. I opened my mouth and almost whined at her in a more affectionate tone because I was embarrassed more than anything, “I look like I am getting married tonight! It’s too… extravagant.” Or in other words, over-the-top.

 

                  The top was an off-shoulder transparent black that looked like a veil rather than a fitting top that transformed my boyish lines into actual curves. It was the dress, however, that would attract lots of attention because of the extremely intricate details she put in it. It was fluffy and resembled a blooming rose flower, where the black slowly turned to brilliant shades of red at the edge of the curls. It was gorgeous, but I did not feel the need to show so much because it was just a Christmas party. And to top it all, she put on a cape with laces details that would beat out any Paris haute couture houses.

 

(This is the dress, though the color I'm imagining is a little bit different)

 

                  “Nonsense! You won’t get married in something as simple as this!” Aunt Go Eun shook her head once again and teased. I paled down when I heard the word simple came out of because this dress was anything but that. On the other hand, she put on a midnight blue mermaid dress with flurry edges and bow-tied neck. It was equally gorgeous so I expected everyone else to wear something as lavish as this dress I was wearing right now. “Now, are you ready to face him?”

 

                  I took a deep breath. She was unknowingly killing me with all the glitter, shimmer and whatnot. Noticing the anxiety in my eyes, she opened with a brilliantly bright, mocking stare, “It is a dress I designed. You will be fine, Sena. I would have expected nothing less from Joonmyun’s fiancée and Seiryuu’s youngest leader. You should be confident because you are beautiful, Dear.” 

 

                  “Okay,” I nodded unsurely and my face was pale. The weight of the dress alone was killing me. The corset was suffocating. I should really slim down a bit more.

 

                  “Okay, I will open it now,” She turned around and opened the door. I stepped back a bit until I was literally steps away from hitting the window. And then Luhan stepped in with all his oozing man appeal and I was dumbfounded. He mirrored my expression with his jaw opened in shock. His eyes were on me. We stood there, admiring each other shyly for a good few minutes until he cleared his throat almost awkwardly.

 

                  “Sena?” He asked hesitantly. His voice was hoarse and his face red and blushing. It was adorable how flustered he looked at the moment. I could not catch what he was saying because he was in a daze when he spoke faintly, “Uh, everyone is waiting for your arrival in the main hall. Let’s go…”

 

                  I was disappointed. I thought that he would say something more. Maybe a praise or two, like the one he gave me during the coronation party. Linking my arms around his, I looked back at Aunt Go Eun with a defeated expression and shrugged. However, the older woman gave me a wink and silently laughed with her eyes. She then closed the door as we disappeared down the corridor, and only then, did Luhan take a deep breath of relief.

 

                  “Luhan-ge, what’s wrong?”

 

                  “No, it’s just that…” He coughed awkwardly and glanced at me once more, “You look really, really beautiful tonight and I don’t know how to react properly.”

 

                  My face was bright red at his compliment. Which sane girl would not blush at Luhan’s sweet praise? I squeezed his arms with my free hand and gave him the best smile I could muster at the moment. At first, when he came to the headquarter as an Elite member, I had not thought much other than the fact that he had been a brother figure for me for close to ten years. But I could not help this odd yet sweet epiphany since Luhan kissed me that one morning. In my heart, there was no space left for anyone else, but it was a good feeling to be admired and loved this way. However, out of consideration now that I was sure of Luhan’s feeling, I did not want to give him hope that I would love him someday.

 

                  “That’s so sweet of you. Thank you, gege,” I chuckled lightly as we walked down the grass area. The soft breeze was blowing my dress away in the most beautiful motion I had ever seen, back and forth, left and right accordingly. The edge of it swept the ground gracefully. My head was light and clear, without its usual chaotic train of thoughts. I replied almost courteously, “You look really, really handsome, too – much better than the gray suit you wore during the ascension ceremony.”

 

                  “You cheeky brat,” He squeezed my pouty cheeks and laughed pleasantly. “Kim Joonmyun’s been looking for you everywhere since 7 o’clock, but he had to go and entertain some of his very important guests. Too bad because now I got you all to myself.” It sounded more like a subtle mocking on his part and I could not help but shake my head at his childlike jealousy.

 

                  “And what about Sehun and the others?”

 

                  “Disappeared with Kim Jongin since the sun set,” Luhan replied nonchalantly. “Most of the Elites has gathered in the main hall, waiting for your appearance. Even Yoon Sohee is there, socializing around as if she owns the place.”

 

                  “Can’t help it. They are engaged,” It was apparent that Luhan disliked her as much as I did. Or maybe because of my intense dislike towards her, Luhan also started looking at Sohee unfavorably. He trusted my judgement as much as I trusted his, so it was not strange that he had the same opinion as I did. “But well, sooner or later, we will go back to Seoul, and Yoon Sohee will have to stay because she is Minseok’s fiancée. By then, hopefully we will be rid of her for good.”

 

                  “Yeah, I am starting to feel uncomfortable in this place,” Luhan looked down at the ground. We were reaching the main hall’s door very soon, and he slowed his pace so I could follow along, “And I don’t mean I am bothered by the hospitality they have shown us. This headquarter is great, Mei. It’s safe and hidden. But I have this feeling that it won’t be long before something big happens. It’s unnerving.”

 

                  “I understand. We will talk tomorrow and settle down the issue before New Year approaches,” I untangled my hands to let him open the door. The main hall was decorated with lots and lots of snowflakes and white-colored trees. I was more amazed at the beautiful decorations rather than the people around me, so Luhan had to link my hand around his again to prevent me from straying too far away. It was absolutely gorgeous and shocking how creative Genbu was. I used to think they were nothing but introverted shields and now my opinion had completely changed. They were geniuses when it came to parties like these. Seiryuu should really learn from them. 

 

                  “Close your mouth, Sweetheart, Yoon Sohee and Kim Minseok are coming,” Joonmyun teased as my eyes twinkled brightly at him. It was hard to maintain a calm and composed façade when this hall was literally a fairytale came true. But once I focused my attention on my gorgeous fiancée, I realised that everyone else was already staring at us. It was probably the first Christmas party where two clans celebrated together. I could feel my Elites’ presences not far away, and before I had the time to turn around, a large, warm hand touched my waist to ensure me that my two protectors had finally arrived.

 

                  Behind Minseok and Sohee, his two protectors Taeil and Kun followed. Their faces were stony but radiant under the illuminating lights. As soon as they saw Joonmyun, their faces softened a little. It was obvious how the Elites adored him. I glanced at my two protectors and found the consolation and support I was looking for. Sehun and Jongin – my precious warriors. My heart was filled with bubble.

 

                  “Minseok, Yoon Sohee, Merry Christmas,” I gave them a polite nod that they returned. Behind them, Joonmyun’s mother stood close. Her hand was holding a glass of white wine and the other with a blue Dior purse. She was wearing a vintage creamy Elie Saab couture dress from its newest collection. Yoon Sohee wore a backless lacy dress – very elegant and sultry at the same time. I had never seen another being so beautiful, especially with that trained smile of hers that was meant to seduce. Fortunately, I was no guy and I did not feel an ounce of shyness towards her.

 

                  “Merry Christmas, Sister, Brother-in-Law,” Sohee bewitchingly grinned. Last time I remembered, she used to call me ‘Lady Sena’ and now she conveniently switched to ‘sister’ just because she was Minseok’s fiancée. What I felt was not inferiority but a bad premonition and intuition. It was a baseless fact, but I did not care. The only one who did not seem transfix on her was Joonmyun, who squeezed my hand as a warning not to retort back snarkily and control my temper. I knew I was hotheaded, so I mentally fanned myself not to get involved in a -fight tonight. However, my mouth was my one flaw and before the brain could put out a possible scheme against her, I was already reacting,

 

                  “Oh? Assuming the titles that you just called us, does this mean that the two of you would be official very soon?”

 

                  Sohee shyly glanced at Minseok, which earned her millions of points for being such a foxy woman. The clueless oldest brother only laughed and shook his head. He seemed completely oblivious to this two-parties-war and replied with an air of arrogance that I disliked most – not that I was any different than him anyway, “Not that soon, of course! We have to see your engagement first before we settle with mine.”

 

                  “We’ll see, Yoon Sohee. Right, Joonmyun Baby?” I cooed with false affection and rubbed my hands against his arms. Kim Joonmyun was a good actor. It did not take long before he graced my cheeks with his fingers and said in a persuasive and flirty tone, “Don’t be so impatient, Sweetheart. We’re official even without any engagement party. The whole world knows that I am yours, heart and soul. Don’t worry so much about that.”

 

                  Ha! Take those mustard, cheesy lines, Yoon Sohee! I did not care how lame and old-schooled he sounded. What was important was the way Joonmyun sounded when he talked to me – as if he actually meant it. He was tugging the curls behind my ear and looked at me with so much love and passion that I almost melted under his gaze. If I did not know him better, I would have thought that this was not acting. But who was I kidding? This was the notorious Kim Joonmyun. Nobody would know whether he was sincere or not.

 

                  “Oh, pardon me for forgetting to greet you, Mam. Merry Christmas!” I said almost too cheerfully when I noticed her sour expression. “And Merry Christmas to you, too, Taeil, Kun!”

 

                  The two of them looked extremely surprised but they bowed down out of courtesy. Joonmyun laughed at me and swept me away to the table full of food, “Oh God, Sena, why can’t you control your temper? Did you see Sohee and Minseok’s expressions when we mentioned about our engagement? How could you manage to piss him off everytime you meet?!” He was supposed to be angry, but he was so amused by my antique that he forgot how to.

 

                  “Must be a talent of mine to piss people off,” I shrugged ignorantly and grabbed the plate. There was so much to try – fresh lobsters that were big enough to feed a family of four, sweet, creamy oysters, fried chicken. God, I did not realise how hungry I was until I saw these, “You, on the other hand, are absolutely brilliant in acting. Can’t tell if that was an act or real.”

 

                  “That’s why we are the perfect pair, Sweetie,” He helped me scooped up a piece of chicken fillet and put it on my plate. Before Joonmyun could put his arms around me, Jongin casually stepped in and put a space between us. Sehun hid a smile when he saw that and he immediately distracted Joonmyun by talking to him about something else. I almost forgot about my food when Jongin gazed down at me with that smoking pair of grey eyes. An unamused smirk was tugging at the corner of his lips. He raised his eyebrow and carefully emphasized what he wanted to say,

 

                  “Having fun playing lovers, Sena?”

 

                                   

                 

A/N: Please wait patiently for the next chapter because there is some legit stuff coming. And bonus from this beautiful man 'cos I can't control my feels when I write.