012

The Dragon Heiress #1

                  I stumbled on the long hall to find toilet. This mansion was even more confusing than mine because it went around like a labyrinth.

 

                  When I tried to go back to the ballroom, I got lost again. I ended up in the second or third floor, where the light was dimly lit. I heard conversations from one of the rooms and I immediately rushed over to find it. I halted a few steps away because that voice was so familiar I could not have ignored it.

 

                  “Tell us, Jongin. What did she do in Singapore?” It must be Elder Junjin who was talking. I peeked from the door and saw his greyed head and Jongin’s back figure. He seemed stiff and uncomfortable. “Don’t delay this any further! You know the only reason you were chosen as her protector was to tell on her.”

 

                  “She went to find Luhan,” Jongin stiffly answered. There was someone else in the room, but I could not see her face. Even the color of her dress was hidden in the dark. I assumed that it was either the Elder’s wife or one of his daughters. “Said she can’t trust you anymore, especially with the Elites, so she wants to form her own.”

 

                  My blood ran cold. I had expected him to be a rebel, but not to tell on me to the Elders. I wondered what they were planning that they dared to use such a direct move against me. Just because I was eighteen did not mean that I was powerless. I clenched my fists tightly and glared at Jongin’s back. ing betrayer!

 

                  “Is that all? Because she doesn’t trust us?” Junjin scoffed. He was pacing back and forth with both arms in front of his chest. A heavy frown decorated his wrinkled face. “This won’t do. Tell us more. What is she planning to do? How does she convince the Genbu to cooperate with us?”

 

                  I gulped down my saliva. The deal was sealed and done. Even if Jongin told him about my relationship with Kim Joonmyun, it would not change anything.

 

                  “She is close with the second son of Genbu, Kim Joonmyun,” Jongin replied. I could not tell what he was thinking about but I really wanted to give him one big punch that would bruise his ego for a long time. “That’s all I know about the Lady and Genbu. She won’t tell me much because she doesn’t trust me. Yet.”

 

                  Yes, how ing confident was he to think that I would be able to trust him someday.

 

                  “Now that she has all the other men around her, how can she trust you?” The Elder spat. As much as I’d love to strangle Jongin right now, I still hated the way Junjin disrespected my protector. According to the hierarchy, Jongin belonged to a higher rank than the Elders. He had every right to defy them. So why…?

 

                  “Well, I’m your only bet right now,” Jongin threatened, though his tone was light and airy. “It’s either me or no one else. Who will you depend on if I don’t succeed? Pfft. No wonder Uncle Jaehyun hates you.”

 

                  “Quiet, boy!” The Elder hissed. He paled down a little after Jongin’s words but his pride would not allow anyone to belittle his position. I rolled my eyes and leaned onto the white wall. Initially I had wanted to leave because I was so angry with Jongin, but now I decided that staying for a bit would not hurt. “Just do what you are supposed to. Find out what that little is up to. I will destroy her myself before the Byakko can touch her.”

 

                  “Suit yourself, Uncle. You know I won’t be able to help you with the physical fight because I am bounded by the law and the vow,” Jongin snickered. I bit back an angry roar at him and hid somewhere in the corner so that the Elder would not notice me when he came out.

 

                  Not long after, there were footsteps going out of the room. I exhaled in relief.

 

                  “Have fun eavesdropping?”

 

                  I almost jumped at Jongin’s voice. He had crept up behind me, his eyes following mine as he folded his arms together arrogantly. There was nothing warm about this man. His face was missing the usual smirk and his mocking tone. It was frightening to see how serious he suddenly looked.

 

                  “Have fun tattletaling?” Before I could hold back, the anger had burst out like the dam had broken. I huffed and puffed, my chest raising and hollowing as I glared at him. “I thought you were just being a bit cold, but this is ridiculous, Kim Jongin!” My voice was getting higher and higher until he put his hand over my mouth and pulled me onto his chest.

 

                  “Who’s there?” Junjin anxiously asked. My eyes widened as I went limp and sank further into Jongin’s arms. Surely he wouldn’t have heard of our conversation just now. I cursed myself for talking so loudly and so carelessly. I didn’t even know why I crawled into his arms, but I instinctively did because I needed to protect myself. 

 

                  “No one,” He smoothly lied. His other hand was placed protectively above my stomach. My heart was beating erratically because the situation was too dangerous and risky. “I am talking on the phone, Uncle. Please continue walking.”  

 

                  Junjin scowled and continued walking. The sound of his steps grew fainter until he could not be heard anymore. Only then did Jongin release his tight grip on me, almost pushing me away. And he did it not-too-gently, either.

 

                  “What the , Kim Jongin?!” I was too angry to even hit him. I wasn’t sad, but I was a little bit disappointed. He had gone too far. Now I wondered if I could trust Sehun as well. After all, we’d only known each other for a month or so. “Is Sehun with you on this? Have the two of you been spying on me this whole time?”

 

                  “That brat has nothing to do with this,” Jongin’s answer was too calm, but it was exactly that that made it even more unnerving. “What do you want to do now? Cut me off from the circle?”

 

                  I considered a few more options, most of which included prison or death sentence. I thought every human had at least some kind of vulnerability or weakness, but Jongin had showed none of them. This man didn’t even fear death. Killing him would be too easy. “Why do you work for the Elders? What have they promised you?”

 

                  “They promised me they would kill you,” A smile slowly made its way to his face. He sounded so nonchalant about killing me, and if I had not read wrongly, he seemed to be rather happy about the idea. I wanted to vomit badly because I could not stand this. Seeing that psychotic smile was disgusting enough.

 

                  But most of all, I was hurt.

 

                  “Why?”

 

                  His eyes were unfathomable and full of darkness, “Do I need a reason to kill you?”

 

                  That sentence was like the final blow to my wounded heart. I gathered the dress and the tears in my eyes and walked away in dignity. I would not allow someone like him to see the tears and have the joy of causing it. I would not! Still, I sobbed and grabbed onto my phone. Mad as I was, I was also lost in the middle of a very big house.

 

                  “Sehun?” I sniffed and wiped the snot away from my face. This was so disgusting. Thank God for the invention of waterproof makeup, else my face would be a mess right now. “Sehun, can you come and get me? I’m lost on the second floor near the female toilet.”

 

                  He was quiet for a while.

 

                  “Sehun, are you there?”

 

                  I heard the noises blurred out. He was breathing faster, as if he was running. “I’m coming.”

 

                  He hanged up.

 

                  I was standing in front of the toilet door with a wet tissue and a runny nose. I looked ugly as , but I didn’t care. How dare that Kim Jongin mess with me? Did those Elders think that I was so easy to kill? What was I? A bug? I was not Yoon Sena for nothing. But . A girl was still a girl. When I was shocked and scared, I still needed to cry.

 

                  Why did Jongin want me off? We only knew each other for a month and there was barely any reason to commit a murder. The clan was so messed up. Grandfather did not tell me about these Elder siblings of his. In reality, they were nothing but a pest. Grandfather, too. Without my Grandmother, he wouldn’t have been anything he had been.

 

                  “Sena?” Sehun ran to me. He was alone, his tie was messed up and his top buttons missing. I expected him to bring someone like Luhan or Yixing, but he seemed to be in such a rush that he forgot anything and anyone else. “What happened? Did you get injured?” He cupped my cheeks gently and searched for any signs of injuries. “How can you get lost, you silly girl!”

 

                  I considered telling Sehun about Jongin, but in the end, I could not bring myself to. “It’s my first time in this mansion, how am I supposed to know my way around?” I forced a chuckle, “It’s good that you’ve found me. Thank you.”

 

                  “Then why…?” He looked at my glassy eyes and wiped the tears away.

 

                  “Let’s go, Sehun. I want to go home.”

 

                  I was thankful that Sehun did not try to push further for answer. We walked very quietly, side by side. I realised that his hand had not once left mine, and in the warmth of his, I felt extremely comforted. Even if Jongin betrayed me, I still got Sehun and the others. I had to be able to trust someone, else I would go insane from all the pressures and workloads.

 

                  In the end, I told no one about Jongin. Not because I wouldn’t, but because I couldn’t. Every time I wanted to speak up, my mouth was locked up in a painful paralysis. Maybe it was a psychological thing. But this time around, I decided not to do anything. At least, not for the time being.

 

***

 

                  I knew that Luhan could be very impatient, especially when I was concerned. Who could blame him, though? The poor guy had no one else since age seven because Grandfather took him away from his only home. This time, though, there was a heavy frown on his fair face. All of the Elites were gathered there in a circle, and there were polices and siren outside of the house.

 

                  “What happened? Did someone commit a murder?” I hurriedly rushed down to the guys. Half of the party guests were gone, while the other half was either drunk or shocked. “Why are there so many polices outside?”

 

                  “Sena,” Yixing worriedly looked at me. “The main house was burnt down.”

 

                  I paled. It was the main house for a reason. The security was tighter than other places because I lived there. I could not help but suspect Jongin for this. How else would an outsider go in and set fire without anyone knowing. But then he was here. So there must be others. “How?” I was too surprised to react roughly, “Did they check the CCTV?”

 

                  “No, they were all destroyed. The house is only ashes and ruins now,” Luhan grimly spoke and avoided looking at anyone. Both his fists were clenched so tightly. “We don’t know who did it.”

 

                  “And the servants? What about Mr. Kim?”

 

                  From his look, I got my answer and it tore my heart. Guilt rose up as my eyes became glassy for the second time that day.

 

                  No one survived that night.