008

The Dragon Heiress #1

“There has been no record of romance between the leader and their protectors.”

Book of Dawn, 2016, a.n.

 

                  I signaled Jongin to keep quiet.

 

                  “Ah, if it isn’t my Sena calling early in the morning…” Followed by a light chuckle. I looked at the clock and frowned. Kim Joonmyun sounded tired and sleepy. I bet he was still on the bed, rolling around for another opportunity to close his eyes and sleep. I wasn’t about to let that happen.

 

                  “Kim Joonmyun, it’s 10am and you are not awake yet?” I playfully. Jongin was genuinely surprised because he had never heard such intimacy in my tone with Luhan or anyone else. His eyes accusingly looked at me as he sat on the white couch with his feet up and around, but I wasn’t about to argue with him.

 

                  “Of course I’m awake. If I weren’t, I wouldn’t be talking on the phone with you, would I?” He said that, but he also yawned loudly onto the phone. I rolled my eyes and walked to the room’s balcony, holding a chocolate bread roll in my hand. “What is it this time? Don’t tell me you’ve fallen for one of your hot protectors?” He faked a gasp, which sounded despicable even to me.

 

                  “Cut that crap, Joonmyun. It’s just that one time, okay? And it’s not about that,” I whispered to the phone in utter embarrassment. If Jongin heard this, my life would end right before it started to bloom. “Hell, I want to send you the document, Joonmyun.”

 

                  “Ah?” He sat up straighter, the sleepiness in his voice now gone. “Right now?”

 

                  “Yes,” My voice was full of venom, “You aren’t sleeping with any of your…?”

 

                  “No, of course not. Hold on, I’m checking my email. Hurry up and send it to me,” He sounded so, so excited and happy. I almost laughed at his childlike giddiness. He was four years older than me, and he could be really wise and mature at times, but I was also proud to say I was one of the few – if not the only one – who knew that the scary and intelligent Kim Joonmyun had this side to him.

 

                  “I’m not sending it to you by email, , I’m sending it to you personally.”

 

                  Silence. I was waiting for his reaction.

 

                  “Sena?” He cleared out his throat and I hummed in response. “Where are you right now?”

 

                  I glanced at the view from the balcony and smirked, “Let’s see.” I pondered on a bit and described it vividly, “I’m looking at the river facing a durian-shaped building. There is a merlion statue not far away. And… that funny looking bridge, well, you probably can figure it out yourself, can’t you?”

 

                  “Marina Bay Sands?” He took a deep breath and guessed. I chuckled and decided to spare him the suspense, “Bingo! You’ve got me, Kim Joonmyun. Now will you come to me or should I go to your house?”    

 

                  “Come to my house. I will text you the address right away,” He seemed to smile through his teasing tone, and I could tell just from his voice, how happy he sounded. A warm sincerity was a rare gem, indeed. I looked at the text he sent me and went to my room to grab a red purse.

 

                  “Hey, Jongin,” I called him out and he was already on his feet. “You wanna watch a little drama today?”

 

***

 

                  Kim Joonmyun was a fine young man in his early twenties. His skin was as fair as his face, and his features were soft that they would not intimidate other. I, too, had once admired his good looks like many girls out there, especially during my stay with the Genbu family for a short period. But my pride and bloodline forbid me from chasing after a Genbu’s son. We belonged to two different families, it was that simple.

 

                  “Hello, Kim Joonmyun,” I gave him a passing glance from head to toe and almost sighed in appreciation. The last time I met him was about a year ago, and he had matured a lot since then. It was not just his look, but also the way he behaved, which was almost too suave and composed for a fresh university graduate.

 

                  “Yoon Sena,” He nodded at me, standing by the front door of his penthouse, which was separated by the sea to Sentosa Island. I really liked the view here because honestly, his house was so much better than the hotel I was staying at. “When did you arrive and why didn’t you contact me?” Then his eyes narrowed at Jongin, “Is this your protector?”

 

                  I bit my lips and threw myself at Joonmyun, who seemed startled by the sudden hug. He yelped quietly to my ear and laughed, securing both his arms around my waist. “Do you miss me that much?”

 

                  I pulled away and walked into his house. Indeed it was impressive. “Well, don’t you miss me, Mr. Kim?” I laughed and kissed him on the left cheek. Jongin’s expression was priceless. He raised his eyebrows at me as his lips twitched, clearly annoyed at the sudden display of affection. He would have known by now who this man was.

 

                  “Come and give me another hug,” Joonmyun extended his arms and pulled me back to his embrace. He did not even ask my permission. He just buried his face into my hair as I snuggled closer and laughed to his chest. It had been so long since someone felt so warm and close. “So that is Kim Jongin, huh?”

 

                  “If you know, you shouldn’t have asked. He is still your distant relative, after all,” I remarked and pointed at Jongin with my fingers. They obviously had never met each other though his father was once part of the Genbu family. Jongin stubbornly shook his head and headed towards the balcony. He must’ve felt out of place with the two us acting so intimate towards one another but dared not said anything about it.

 

                  “Should I feel threatened?” He whispered and pulled away. His tone was full of mischief but his eyes were dead serious. Kim Joonmyun did not look like his father, to whom the other two sons closely resembled. He looked more like his mother, and she was as beautiful as he. I stared at him and glanced to the balcony, where Jongin’s back was facing us. My heart seemed to beat a little faster.

 

                  “You are a grown man. Do you really need to feel threatened?” I back and grabbed an empty cup from the living room’s table. “But seriously though, you are the last guy in this world who should feel jealous for Jongin and Sehun.”

 

                  “Baby girl, I have every right to feel jealous for them,” He chuckled and grabbed the cup from my hand. Joonmyun disappeared to the second level, presumably where his kitchen was located. Joonmyun had many endearing terms for me, and I was so used and fed up with them that I did not even bother correcting him anymore.

 

                  “I know I’m not supposed to ask,” Jongin craned his neck into the living room and stared at me weirdly. “But baby girl? Really?”

 

                  I tried to look dignified, but the red blush slowly made its way to my cheeks. To both of us, our relationship was normal. But to outsiders like Jongin, we were probably an odd pair. I was quite flustered by his questions. “If you know you shouldn’t ask, then don’t.”

 

                  He burst out laughing, second time in the week, which was distracting and odd. “Alright. I’m not going to judge. But first Luhan and now Joonmyun. I am wondering how many more guys you have affairs with.”

 

                  I was even more embarrassed. Luhan was a brother figure and I could not stress that more. As for Joonmyun, things remained ambiguous for us even until now. “I am not in an affair with anyone!” My face was turning redder by the moment. “And I’m not the only one here okay? What about you?!”

 

                  “Me?” He feigned innocence, “I am clearly not in a relationship with anyone.”

 

                  My mind flew back to the kiss marks he had on his neck and the lip-gloss on his lips.

 

                  “At least I don’t go around kissing people.”

 

                  That shut him up for good, “Well then suit yourself, Princess.”

 

                  He shut the window and turned his back against me once again. It was something I noticed about Jongin whenever I saw him. He looked so lonely and fragile from the back, as if one touch could shatter him to pieces. But of course, everyone knew better than that.

 

                  “So? The papers?” Joonmyun brought back two cans of Coke and tilted his head. I took both away from him and gave one to Jongin. He grunted as I went back to Joonmyun. His watchful eyes were following me when I dragged Joonmyun somewhere further from the hearing distance.

 

                  “You don’t trust your protector?” Joonmyun asked incredulously. He took me to the upper level, in the rooftop where there was a medium-sized swimming pool facing the horizon. “Joonmyun, you know I can’t trust people… What do you call it? Pistanthrophobia?”

                  *pistanthrophobia = fear of trusting

 

 

                  “Yeah, everyone but Luhan,” He snidely remarked. I watched as his frown turned to a cold smile, just like the fake one he showed in front of everyone else. “So how is the paper? Do we have an agreement now that you are here to find me?”

 

                  I could feel the lump rising on my throat, wanting to choke me, such that tears filled my eyes as I blinked it away. Doing business with Kim Joonmyun was the part I hated most, because he could be so intimidating and frightening. “Kim Joonmyun.” I held my breath and dared myself to look at him. “I agree.”

 

                  He clearly did not expect such a short answer. But there was nothing left to say. Kim Joonmyun and I had an agreement. “Do you…” he was threading the words carefully now that I became quiet, “have any requests to put in? I mean, Sena… I could do anything for you in return… now that we are…” He could not find the word for it even though he usually carried himself eloquently.

 

                  “Joonmyun, come with me to Korea,” I eyed him. The lump on my throat rose higher, and I forced myself to swallow it up. I wanted to vomit so badly. So I swayed onto him and let him catch me free-falling. “My clan needs us.” I tightened my hold on him, “Please.”

  

 

A/N:

You might feel that Sena is quite an annoying character. She is stubborn, arrogant, wild, unrestrained, and very demanding. That is how imperfect she is. 

And Joonmyun's house inspiration in Singapore, his house is located somewhere near Labrador Park: