007

The Dragon Heiress #1

“It’s not uncommon for the clan’s leader to have an affair outside,

But it’s a waste to see Luhan’s talent gone because of one grave mistake his grandmother committed,

That boy could have been a wonderful addition to serve the Elites”

Seiryuu Family Tree, 2010, Y.J.

As written a few days before his retirement

 

 

 

                  “You want me…?” Luhan raised his eyebrow in surprise. I could tell that he did not expect that at all, judging by the obvious confusion on his fair face. Luhan knew that Grandfather had deserted him as a child, but his grandmother pleaded his case to the Council and as a result, he was educated by one of the Elders that resided in China. His identity kept a secret, hidden away from the prying eyes of the Clan. As of present days, only the Elders and I knew of his existence. And perhaps Joonmyun, as well. “But you can’t do that, Sena. Grandfather…”

 

                  “He passed away,” I cut him off sharply. My voice was void of emotion and I kept my eyes on the empty glass. “Didn’t you hear…?”

 

                  “No,” Luhan sighed and weighed out the options. All his life, the choices he had were suppressed by Grandfather, but now with him gone, I could do whatever I wanted. As one of the oldest clans in the world, we exercised dictatorship almost to a fault. “What do you want me to do?”

 

                  Now I glanced at Jongin, just to see his reaction, but like me, he was good in concealing his feeling. I could not read him at all, just like Sehun, and it unnerved me that I could not figure out both my protectors. “You see that I have Jongin and Sehun as my sidekicks, but I need an eye in the clan. Someone no one knows about. Someone I can entrust with all the dangerous tasks.”

 

                  Luhan snickered and tapped the table, still thinking. Instead of being hurt or offended, he seemed to be considering my offer right now. “ So you want me to be your shadow.”

 

                  “I want you to be the first Elite under my recommendation, but you will stay closer to me than any of them would,” I stated the advantages to lure him out. Luhan needed security. He needed being needed. And most of all, he was very fond of me. So I needed to keep those in mind when I offered him my propositions, “You will train with Jongin and Sehun and you will stay with us in the main house.”

 

                  Jongin did not look happy but he could not raise his voice against me because I was his master. Unlike Grandfather, I was not tight about rules and regulations. In my opinion, everything could be compromised and discussed. Perhaps it was because I was so young that I dared to be reckless. Besides, the Elders did not need to know. At least, not all of it.

 

                  “Is the situation really that dangerous that you want me to step in?”

 

                  Partly. I gave him a meaningful gaze. The rest was because I did not trust the clan and he was my only ally. I would have to slowly pull Jongin and Sehun to my side, too, especially because they had been staying with the clan for too long. Sehun would not be so difficult to convince, but Jongin would be a real challenge.

 

                  “Of course I’ll go with you,” Luhan smiled softly and brushed my hair. I’ll go with you anywhere you want to.

 

                  “Isn’t the Elite already decided?” Jongin asked, but his voice was so low that it sounded more like a mumble to himself. His eyes darted back and forth between Luhan and me as he bit his thick, red lips, “Do the Elders know about your arrangements on him?”     

 

                  I smiled and shook my head, “Change of plans, Jongin. I am choosing my own Elites, and instead of twenty, I am only taking six.”

 

                  “Mei,” Luhan’s eyes widened in surprise and so did Jongin’s. It was the first real emotion I had seen for him in the whole week I knew him. It was also nice to know he was human, after all, not a mindless killing machine created by my Grandfather. In a way or another, it was once again my fault. Because they were created to serve me.

 

                  “Don’t worry, Ge. I am not gathering all six of you right now. At least not in Singapore,” I chuckled lightly, though my laughter sounded more fake and wary rather than happy. I turned to Jongin and lifted my hand to speak to him, “It’s your choice, Jongin, to be loyal to the clan’s Elders or to me. Either way, it’s a fight-to-death kind of battle and I don’t need a spy on my side.” 

 

                  His pupils dilated, “My vow is not to be taken lightly, Princess.”

 

                  The corner of my lips curved up in satisfaction, “The Elders do not need to know, but I will tell Sehun to start a rumor about it. If they create a fuss, I will deal with them. But nothing, and no one can stand in my way. I will never forgive those people that dare hurt us.” I jabbed the fork into the chicken and even Luhan flinched at it. “If they dare to, I will make sure to crush them to pieces.”

 

***

 

                   In the end, I decided to let Luhan packed his things and shipped it to Seoul. He agreed to meet us in the airport. He sent us off to the door, pinching my cheeks and bidding us goodbye. He still refused to look at Jongin directly, but there was a huge improvement compared to the other guys he’d met before.

 

“You already have two protectors. Are you going to keep the Elites by your side as well?” This was the first time Jongin truly questioned my decision and I could not say I was not happy about it. I’d like to think that someday, if I grew to trust him enough, this man would be the balance to my extremity. After all, as I grew up, I developed a thirst for blood and insanity. It was inevitable, living in a clan where everyone was out to hunt you down.

                 

“It depends on the situation, but most likely yes,” I took off my cardigan because the night weather was insanely hot. At least it was warmer than Seoul in summer. Now I was left in sleeveless shirt and dark-colored jeans. I played with the small bell on my choker. I looked decent.

 

                  Jongin took my cardigan to his arms and said nothing else. Whether this was a normal mannerism for Korean guy or not, I still felt flustered and flattered by the sweet gesture. If only he’d shut his sarcastic mouth, Jongin could be a wonderful boyfriend. But even then, I bet girls at his university were throwing themselves at this hot commodity in front of me. I would not blame them. To each our types I guess, but I preferred Jongin’s exotic sharp features to any cute boy-next-door look. And he finally noticed my stare.

 

                  “Please don’t fall for me,” He said as if it was the most natural thing at all. He should have been embarrassed by his cockiness, but this man knew no shame. He raised his eyebrow lazily and threw me a smoldering gaze. It caught me off guard and definitely turned me off.

 

                  “Don’t be so confident, Jongin. You are good looking, but I’m not into s,” I rebutted and stuck out my lips, clearly annoyed. But scratch that – he wasn’t just good looking; he was insanely good looking. But I was not superficial to the point that I would throw my dignity away just for his looks. Frankly I’d choose Luhan or Sehun, or even the player Joonmyun any day over Jongin.

 

                  “I know,” He laughed, throwing his head back and I was once again in awe how God could create someone so fine it seemed that the sun was pale in comparison to his smile. I might be exaggerating a tiny wee bit, but I was pretty sure most girls who had seen him laughing would agree. Because God damned him, he was beautiful

 

                  I only realised that a smile had unconsciously made its way to my face when I caught my reflection in the mirror. I had not seen that kind of smile in such a long time – as if I was smitten.

 

                  “When you said you didn’t trust the both of us, did you mean it?” Jongin stood closer to me, tucking his hands in the hoodie’s pockets. He slowly relaxed and even his way of talking became more comfortable, which sort of affected me as well.   

 

                  “Yes,” I honestly replied, without hiding or sugarcoating anything. Jongin deserved to know the truth.

 

                  “Is there anyone you even trust?” He quirked his eyebrow curiously. He might not notice it, but there was something different about the way he furrowed his eyebrows when he was angry, confused, or even happy.

 

                  “Luhan,” I breathed and waved at the bus coming from a distance.

 

                  “Just him?”

 

                  I pondered on his questions that I never got to answer. Others might come close to trust, but it was not like Luhan. Just like the other five Elites I had chosen. At least I knew they would not betray me. Was that considered trust? With Joonmyun, it was almost dependence, which I was ashamed to admit. But I knew Joonmyun wanted something only I could give, so in return, I could rely completely on him.

 

                  “Sehun?” I answered the call on the third ring. I scanned the entire bus and walked to the back where I could talk more freely. Still, I toned down my voice so no one else could hear. “Yes, we are going back to the hotel. Isn’t it midnight in Seoul? Did anything happen?” Because of anxiety, I could not help but ask a string of questions.

 

                  As confident as I was, sometimes I did get anxiety attack. Not to mention, I was easily stressed out. Of course no one knew because I took pills to tone it down sometimes. But there was only so much that medicines could do that human body could cope with, with or without the Dragon’s blood.

 

                  “Not much,” Sehun sighed. He sounded tired. “Everything’s going well, though the Elders are not happy about your sudden trip.”

 

                  “Did you tell them why?” I gripped onto my shirt’s end and played with it. Jongin sat next to me, almost too calmly for my liking. He’d closed his eyes as if he did not care, but I knew he was listening.

 

                  “Of course not. But they are very… demanding.”

 

                  “And you are good with taking care of people, Sehun. I know you’ve done a great job, so tell me… Why are you calling me when you could’ve just rest and wait until morning? I’m sure it’s not because you’re missing Jongin, aren’t you?” I teased and I could see an annoyed twitch on Jongin’s face.

 

                  “It’s about Byakko and the thing you asked of me,” His voice was so low that I thought he had hung up. I pressed on more closely, but it was his fault that I could not hear it well. “Listen, Sena, Byakko’s been in their lair for a while now. Since Suzakku’s attack, they haven’t made anything significant. I’m afraid this attack was not their doing but someone else.”

 

                  My brain started spinning so quickly as I pinned down a few suspects, “Then who else could it be? Oh wait, that’s supposed to be Jongin’s task.” I nudged his arm and gave him a pointed look, “Why haven’t you been reporting anything to me up until now? Slowpoke.”

 

                  “Sena,” Sehun spoke calmly and drew my attention back to him, “It’s not Jongin’s fault. We’ve been switching tasks every now and then because he is with you. He did investigate on the spies in our company, but…” His voice trailed off and I let my imagination worked.

 

                  Right now, there were a few possibilities. The first one, there was someone out there who wanted to destroy our clan; someone powerful enough to launch an attack like that. The second one, this marked the start of a rebellion they warned me off. I could not think of the third one, but if there ever was, I could not understand why someone from the clan would try to destroy itself.

 

                  “Thank you, Sehun. I appreciate it,” I intended it to be warmer than it sounded, but it came out with the opposing effect, in-between a scowl and a growl. “Keep me up to date.” Without a bye, I hung up. Someone in this clan dared to oppose the higher council and I. They were ing asking to be killed, weren’t they? I clenched my fists and turned to Jongin,

 

                  “Change of plans. We are going back the day after tomorrow.”