two beats

Heartbeat

A/N: I changed it from second person (you) to third. It will still be from Nari's point of view!

 

Nari remained with her eyes glued to the figure in front of her, gaping open. At this rate, her heart would probably beat out of her chest.

"Do you want it or not?" The boy raised one eyebrow and waved the textbook in front of her frozen face.

Yup, I'm dying, Nari thought to herself. My heart can't beat this much and still be functioning properly.

her lips, Nari raised her shaking hands to retrieve the book from the boy. "Y-yeah. Thank you."

Her hand brushed against the tips of his fingers as she grabbed onto the binding of the book. She let out an involuntary gasp as another wave of electricty shot through her chest.

The boy grunted in response, ignoring Nari's red face and shallow gasps. He leaned back onto his seat, closing his eyes as he rested his head against the window.

Meanwhile, Nari was paralyzed in the same spot, concentrating on finding a way to survive. Eunji stared at her from where she was standing, her eyebrows etching together in concern.

She knew about Nari's heart condition. But she knew it shouldn't be acting up again, especially not after she had a heart transplant.

"Hey, Nari. Are you okay?" Eunji wasn't always serious, but when it came to Nari's health, she was the first to come running.

Nari smiled through clenched teeth. "Mhm, I'm just dandy. I could probably fight a whale right now."

Eunji snorted. Yet she didn't let Nari fool her. Although she was hurting, Nari was the type of girl to hide her pain so others wouldn't have to worry. She really couldn't understand why she did that. It was just the way Nari was.

Finally, the bus came to a halt. Desperate to escape the constricting space, Nari sprang up from her seat, accidently elbowing the boy in the ribs. He doubled over in pain, grabbing his probably bruised side.

"Oh my gosh! S-sorry!" Nari blubbered, hovering over the boy who was now glaring up at her. Even if it was a death glare, Nari stood mesmerized at his eyes and how they were so gorgeous, yet they seemed to be lacking a shine. They were almost dull. Maybe it was because she just almost broke his ribs?

"My apologies! My friend can be a little clumsy!" Eunji grapsed onto Nari's trembling arm and dragged her out of the bus.

Nari collapsed onto a streetlight, grasping onto its cold metal as Eunji rubbed her back. "What's wrong with you? You looked like you were having a heart attack."

Nari caught her breath and straightened back up, knuckles turning white as she held tightly onto her textbook. "It sure felt like one."

Her heartbeat slowly returned to its normal rate, much to her relief.

"Well, you almost gave me a heart attack." Eunji started guiding Nari towards their shared apartment. "I thought that boy was going to shank you for elbowing him."

A blush crept up onto Nari's face, causing Eunji to raise a suspisious eyebrow. "Why is your face red?"

"B-because! I'm just embarrased, okay?"

Eunji rolled her eyes. "You should be. He was hella cute though. Kind has that bad boy look to him, don't you think?"

Nari shrugged her shoulders. "I don't know. I didn't really get to look at him closely." And because I could hardly breathe because of my heart.

"Bull." Eunji clicked her tongue at Nari's stubborn lie. "Your mouth was open to the floor Nari. You obviously got a real good look at him."

"My mouth was not to the floor." Nari insisted, flipping her hair. "He...he just looked really familiar."

"Or you just thought he was cute enough to give you a heartattack." Eunji flashed Nari a cheesy wink as she unlocked their apartment.

Right as Nari entered the apartment, she sprawled herself onto the couch. She needed a desperate power nap, and some time away from Eunji's nonsense.

"I don't think it's possible for my heart to beat his hard just because he's cute." Nari peeled off her socks and threw them on the ground despite Eunji's complaints of her being a slob.

"It doesn't matter anyway. It's not like I'm ever going to see him again..." Slowly, Nari closed her eyes.

As she drifted off to sleep, she dreamt of memories. Memories that weren't hers, but ones that caused her heart to soar. Yet everytime she woke up, the memories would be forgotten because they were never hers to remember in the first place.

But this time, Nari's eyes shot open, her hands subconsiously fluttering up to her erratic heart.

This time, she remembered.

And this time, he was in it.