seven beats

Heartbeat

“Kookie?” A husky voice thick with fatigue called out from under the white covers.

 

Jungkook swiftly slipped beneath the covers, kicking off his socks as he entered the warmth of the bed. He d around for a body, and when his fingers grasped a slender waist, he tugged it towards his cold body.

 

Her body molded right up to his, enveloping him in her scent. She always smelled faintly of chocolate. He didn’t exactly understand why, but the scent never left her body. It was her smell, and he was in love with it.

 

“Go change out of your sweats,” the girl groaned, kicking Jungkook in the shin with her heels. “And take a shower while you’re at it. You stink.”

 

Jungkook stubbornly whined against the girl’s hair, subtly ignoring her nagging. “I don’t want to. I’m too tired.” He kissed the top of her head through her curly brown hair. “And I missed you.”

 

He heard her sigh in defeat. She knew that once he got into a cuddle, he was impossible to pry off. She shifted her body so that she was facing him. She reached her hand up to his face, running her thumb along his thick eyebrows. “How was dance practice?”

 

“It was fun.” Jungkook grabbed her soft hand and brought it to his lips, lightly kissing each of her knuckles. “I came up with part of the choreography. Hoseok and Jimin hyung were so shocked. They didn’t think I could come up with the part so fast.” He chuckled, his breath tickling her hand.

 

She smiled at him, her eyes crinkling up at the corners. “I’m glad you had fun Kookie.”

 

"How was your day?"

 

"The usual. There was a small robbery at a convenience store," she explained. "I had to chase the thief for three blocks, but catching him was a piece of cake."

 

Jungkook chuckled at the mischevious glint in her eyes. "Man, I feel bad for that thief. Getting chased by you," Jungkook pretended to shiver. "Is possibly the scariest thing on this Earth."

 

She snorted, rolling her eyes. "Glad you know."

 

A silence soon ensued, filled with only the stares that the two shared. Jungkook could look at her forever. The warm chocolate brown color of her eyes softened its sharp shape, lined with a thick array of lashes. Light freckles dotted across the bridge of her slender nose and cheeks, giving her a rustic appearance.

 

And her lips. They were the most gorgeous shade of pink that reminded Jungkook of the strawberry ice-cream he always ate as a kid. Her lips may have looked sweet, but the words that left them could be the dangerously sassy.

 

She was his Jaein. The one girl who saw past his harsh exterior and chose to love him instead of pushing him away.

 

The silence was broken when Jaein asked a sudden question. “What would you do if I suddenly disappeared one day?”

 

Jungkook scoffed at the abrupt question but quickly answered it when he saw Jaein’s eyes narrow in seriousness. “I would come looking for you.”

 

“What if I disappeared to somewhere where you can’t find me? Someplace like...Heaven?” Jaein breathed out the last word, anticipating Jungkook’s answer.

 

Jungkook pursed his lips. He didn’t even like thinking about being unable to find Jaein. “Why do you ask?”

“I’m a police officer Jungkook. I don’t have the safest job, and humans are fragile. Anyone can die at anytime.”

Jungkook stared right into Jaein’s eyes and said with a firm determination, “I would still find you Jaein. Whether it be Heaven or Hell, I’ll look for you. If you die, I die Jaein.”

 

A crease formed in between Jaein’s eyebrows. She was clearly not satisfied with Jungkook’s answer. “No.” She said.

 

“What?”

 

“No Jeon Jungkook. If I die, you live. Don’t you dare coming looking for me, got it? I will not be the cause of your death. I want you to survive on this damn Earth until you’re all old and wrinkly, and then you can come find me. If you love me, you won’t kill yourself for me. You won’t ruin yourself for me.”

 

Jungkook felt a lump growing in his throat. He wasn’t confident that he’d ever be able to live in a world void of Jaein. She was everything that he needed; without her, half of him would be missing.

 

“I...I can’t promise you anything.”

 

Jaein shook her head, her stubborn curls falling back into her face. “Promise me. You wouldn’t want me to die just because you die, right?”

Jungkook shuddered at the thought. Jaein was too precious. He would never allow anything to happen to her. Anything.

Jungkook tugged at his bottom lip with his teeth. “Fine,” he sighed. “I promise.”

“Pinky promise?”

“Pinky promise.”

 

A smile lit up Jaein’s face at Jungkook’s response. She hooked her pinky against his, sealing a promise.

But despite one's determination, promises are made to be broken.

_____________________________

A/N: A little flashback! Hope you got a little idea of who Jaein was and what she was like before she died. Comment what you think :)