three beats

Heartbeat

Jungkook winced as he gingerly touched his ribs. Well, that's definitely going to bruise, he thought.

It was his first time out of jail in a year and he was already getting elbowed by weird strangers.

One year.

"Sorry kid. You were at the wrong place at the wrong time."

Jungkook glared up at the man looking down at him, no sign of pity in his sharp eyes. Jungkook wanted to punch the smug grin right off his face.

"Wrong place, wrong time? This was never in the plan. Why am I taking responsibility for-"

Jungkook's words were stopped by a slap to the face. His head jerked harshly to the right, and he stayed stunned in the same spot.

"Don't pretend like you didn't know this would happen. If you don't keep your mouth shut, you won't get the money. You don't want your sister do die like that girl do you?" The man sneered, flashing ragged yellow teeth.

The man was right. This was for the only way. Afterall, how could he live after she died?

It's been a year, yet Jungkook couldn't forget. Everything reminded him of her, but nothing could bring her back.

Nothing.

Jungkook got off the bus and made his way towards a busy street in Seoul. Stores littered the sides, as hundreds of people walked around. They all had lives and stories. But is anyone be as messed up as me, Jungkook mused bitterly.

His steps slowed when he reached a café situated right in the core of the busy street. Large windows revealed everything inside it. It had a homey feel, almost out of place within the modern architecture of Seoul.

Bangtan Café.

Jungkook tentatively placed his hand on the door handle. It was his first time here, and he wondered if they would still be the same.

Suddenly, the door flew open to reveal a boy with fluffy orange hair, his eyes disappearing as he broke out into a grin. "Jeon Jungkookie!"

Jungkook was dragged into the café at the speed of light. The aromatic smell of chocolate and sweet pastries hit his nose, enveloping him in a sense of comfort. All he could feel was the tight grasp of a small hand on his right.

Quickly, the small man pulled him behind to the counter where six other men waited. Customers filled the tables, strangely mostly women, yet the boys all remained behind the counter.

They were waiting for him.

A tall boy, his pink hair falling just above his eyes, strided up to Jungkook.

A strange silence ensued. Then out of the blue, he was pulled into a tight hug by the tall boy. Before Jungkook could react, all six boys had their arms around Jungkook, nearly suffocating him.

"Ah! Hyung's get off me." Jungkook's voice was muffled by all the boys squeezing the life out of him.

"Jungkook! Do you know how long we waited for you?" A teary-eyed Taehyung stared at Jungkook. Jungkook seemed to have gotten skinnier, his usual baby-ish features were much sharper.

They released their grip on Jungkook, but they remained encircled around him. "What about Jungah? Did you go visit her?"

Jungkook gave a brisk nod. "Of course. She's doing well. They say she can probably be released from the hospital in a few weeks."

"Dude, congrats man!" Hoseok clapped him on the back, a smile radiating off his face. It was nice to see Hoseok hyung smiling. Despite everything, he was still Jungkook's hope.

Jungah, Jungkook's little sister, had been diagnosed with leukemia when she was seven, just two years ago. They had found a bone marrow transplant for her when she needed it the most, so Jungkook had been desperate for the money.

The money that saved his sister. But the money that had killed her.

Seokjin came up, holding a steaming cup of hot chocolate, topped off with a mountain of whip cream. He carefully placed it in Jungkook's cold hands, trying to warm them up. Secretly, Seokjin hoped that the hot chocolate would somehow also thaw out Jungkook's frozen heart.

"You're coming back to our house right?" Yoongi propped himself up onto the counter, his legs swinging above the ground.

Before Jungkook's arrest, the Bangtan Boys, as they called themselves, all lived in one home. They all united under one common trait: they were family-less. Only Jungkook had a little sister, but they were close enough to consider Jungha their own sister.

"Yeah, if that's cool with you guys." Jungkook tentatively sipped the hot chocolate, staring at his hyungs as he awaited their answer.

Namjoon rolled his eyes. "Duh we're okay with it. The Bangtan house is your house. Jungha's coming back too when she gets released from the hospital."

Jungkook nodded in thanks, the whipped cream off his lips. A light cough was heard from the front of the counter. A small line of girls had formed in front of the register, all awaiting an order.

Taehyung bounced forward, flashing a boxy smile at the girls who immediately turned red. "What can I get you pretty girls?"

Yoongi snorted at Taehyung's blatant flirting. "There he goes again, flirting with anything that breathes." Jimin laughed in agreement.

"So, how long has this café been open?"

"It's been about half a year. We needed some more income than what we made through our part time jobs...so we decided to open up this café with the money we kept saved." Hoseok said while repositioning his beanie onto his hair.

"And don't forget. Womanizer over there practically seduced the landlord to give us a discount." Jimin jerked his head towards Taehyung who whipped his head around to stick his tongue out.

"But are you complaining? We did get that discount, by the way." Taehyung winked, earning a gagging motion from Jimin.

"Apparently, we're known as the flowerboy café." Seokjin giggled. "Which, I totally understand."

"Hyung, I swear to god, say flowerboy one more time-" Namjoon raised a kitchen rag threateningly and waved it towards Seokjin.

"You lay that dirty rag anywhere near my face and you won't live to see tomorrow." Seokjin bared his teeth while shielding his face from the rag.

Namjoon chuckled and discarded the rag much to Seokjin's relief. He watched as Seokjin walked away towards the back kitchen, angrily huffing about how no one appreciates his beauty.

"Uh, Jungkook." Namjoon rubbed the back of his neck, letting out a nervous cough. By the way his eyebrows were furrowing, he was debating whether or not to ask something. "Have you...have you visited Jaein's grave?"

Jaein.

Jungkook clenched his jaw at the mention of that name. He hadn't heard it for a year. Not since he desperately called out for it as she disappeared, right in front of his eyes.

"I haven't yet." Jungkook raised his eyes to meet Namjoon's. "But I'll see her soon."

Namjoon shivered at the maknae's words. His words scared the older hyung, because he wasn't sure how literal Jungkook meant when he said he was going to see her. But with one look at Jungkook's lifeless eyes, Namjoon was afraid he knew the answer.

--------

A/N: That chunk in italics was a flashback! I know things are confusing, but I promise, things will reveal itself later on. Comment what you think~~