four beats

Heartbeat

“My head is going to burst.” Eunji groaned, rubbing her tired eyes. “I swear Professor Lim wants to watch us burn. How could he assign another essay right after e in?”

 

Nari just sighed in response. Even talking took too much effort. Sometimes, she really wondered why she took the hellish path of a law student.

“Let’s get some coffee,” Eunji said with a sudden urge of determination. “The only thing that can save us is an extremely strong dose of caffeine.”

 

“For the first time, I agree with you.”

 

Eunji rolled her eyes, but a sly smile played on her lips. “There’s this café that’s rumored to have some killer coffee.” She paused before adding, “made by some really killer cute boys.”

 

Of course. Eunji wouldn’t go to just any random café. There just has to be cute boys.

“When are you ever not thirsty?” Nari smacked Eunji on the arm with her satchel.

Excuse me miss ‘I never had a boyfriend,’” Eunji snapped back with full sass. “I could really use the pick-me-up of cute boys in this very stressful time.”

In her 21 years of life, Lee Nari has yet to have a boyfriend. It’s not that she never had any opportunities...it’s just that none of the boys interested in her ever felt right.

“In case you forgot, I’m a very sought out girl. Don’t you notice my immense popularity on campus?” Nari dramatically flipped her hair, pretending to strut down the street like a runway.

“You are so embarrassing.” Eunji quickly speed walked past Nari, covering her face so people wouldn’t see that she was associated with her. “Remind me why I’m your friend again?”

 

Nari stuck out her tongue and raced forward to link her arm with Eunji’s. “You’re friends with me because I’m the only person who goes to stupid café’s with you.”

 

Eunji tried in vain to peel the girl off her arm, but she had a death grip. “You’re probably going to end up liking it more than me you loser.”

 

“Highly doubt that will happen.” The only time that her heart rate increased around a boy was that one strange time on the bus.

 

“We’ll just have to see. We’re here.” Eunji paused in front of a cute café that was surprisingly packed even on a weekday.

 

The duo entered the store, sighing as the sweet scent of pastries filled their noses. Girls filled the tables, their heads held by their arms propped up onto the surface. Nari almost snorted at how their eyes looked like they were going to pop out of their sockets as they ogled the boys in the front of the store.

 

“They...They’re gorgeous.” Eunji seemed to dissolve into a puddle in Nari’s arms.

Nari couldn’t deny that they were pleasant to the eyes. A skinny boy that seemed to have a huge smile permanently etched onto his face was running the cash register, his eyes curving up into moons at each customer.

Next to him, a short boy with vivid orange hair had all his focus on making intricate designs on lattes with the foam. Occasionally, he would sweep his hair back with his fingers casually, causing all the living souls in the room to swoon.

 

Nari elbowed Eunji, unfazed by the gorgeous boys working the counter. “Are you going to order or not? Because if we aren’t going to get a caffeine boost anytime soon I’m going to leave-”

 

“I’m ordering, damn! Okay, but how do I look?” Eunji ran her tongue along her teeth and fluffed her hair.

“You look like Jung Eunji.”

Eunji huffed. “You’re helpless.”

Together, they approached the counter, Eunji practically on the verge of fainting. Nari rolled her eyes and slid in front of Eunji to order first.

Chewing on her lip, she stared up at the menu in debate. “I...I think I’ll have the caramel macchiato.”

The boy, or Hoseok, as it said on his nametag, grinned at Nari. “Very good choice for a very pretty lady.” His slender fingers quickly punched the order into the system. “Would that be it?”

 

“Not quite,” Nari answered. “Yah, Eunji, you have to order.”

Eunji crept forward and cleared , pretending like she wasn’t just about to faint in the boy’s presence. “I-I think I’ll have the, uh-”

“Why don’t you try the vanilla frappacino? It’s one of my favorites.” Hoseok’s eyes twinkled, clearly amused at Eunji’s stuttering.

“Yeah, that sounds good.” Eunji squeaked.

Hoseok finished the transaction and Eunji handed him the cash with trembling hands. Nari had to literally drag Eunji away from the register before she could jump over into Hoseok’s arms.

“Yah, Jeon Jungkook! Bring out the extra croissants when you come out, okay?” A tall boy strided out from the kitchen, balancing two trays of freshly baked macaroons in his hands. He had flour on his nose, and some even managed to get into his hair.

Nari grimaced when she felt a sudden pressure on her chest. What the hell? What now?

She hit her chest with her fist, trying to lessen the pressure, but it was hopeless.

“Hey, are you okay? Do you need to sit down?” Eunji looked into Nari’s pained face, but she just shook her head.

 

“I’m fine. It’s nothing to worry about.” It’ll pass, Nari thought. It always does.

 

“Hyung, where did you want me to put these?” A soft voice called out, a voice that caused Nari’s heart rate to spike.

. It can’t be...can it?

It sure can.

It was him. The same boy that caused Nari to feel like she was dying back on the bus. Today, he was wearing a loose black t-shirt with ripped skinny jeans, his black hair falling straight down. He was absolutely stunning.

 

And of course, Nari’s heart went literally out of control.

And then, everything went black.