fourteen beats

Heartbeat

The drink in Jungkook's hand dangerously sloshed in its cup as a drunken couple bumped into his shoulder. Jungkook slumped up against the wall, annoyed at the couple who giggled a swift apology.

He bumped his head against the wall in a slow rhythm, cursing himself for ever agreeing to stay for this party. The whole house was packed with people, the dim lights obscuring most of the faces. The small party snacks that Jin put out dissapeared in the first fifteen minutes, but of course, the drinks never ran out.

But that didn't matter to Jungkook; the bitter concoction barely touched his lips. Not that he couldn't drink. He just didn't want to.

He observed the previously spacious living room that was now filled with intoxicated, dancing individuals from his position against the wall in front of the kitchen. He pursed his lips, slightly craning his neck for a specific person. Is she not here, he thought?

"Looking for someone?"

Jungkook jerked to the side at the sudden voice. A girl was leaned against the wall to his left, imitating his current position. She had her hand to to her chest, pressing down over her heart.

It was her. He felt a rush of familiarity at the petite girl who was staring up at him, her cheeks flushed a light pink with the affects of alcohol. "No."

She sniffed, bringing her red Solo cup to . "Sure looked like you were," she said into her cup.

"I wasn't." He was, and he found her.

She shrugged, frowning when she realized that her cup had been drained of its liquid. Smacking her lips together, she poked Jungkook's shoulder. He cringed at the sudden touch.

"Is there any food here?"

Jungkook snorted at her question. He almost expected her to want more drinks, but instead, she wanted food.

"Can't help you. We ran out."

She groaned, clutching her stomach. "I'm hungry though."

"That sounds like your own problem."

He smirked when she glared at him, chewing her lip aggressively.

Nari wanted to smack that smug curve of the boy's lips off his face, but she composed herself. She definitely could have; but she realized it was the closest thing to a smile that she'd seen from him.

It wasn't hard to spot him in the mass of people. He was the sole person who wasn't grinding on the dance floor, downing drinks, or clinging onto another person.

Nari had a few drinks to loosen up, encouraged by Eunji who had practically poured it down . But she was a strong drinker. It took a lot to get her drunk.

She had escaped the congested crowd due to the calling of her stomach and its loud grumbling. But to no surprise, there he was, leaning against the entrance to the kitchen, looking almost bored as he lazily swirled his drink around in his cup.

He was in an all black ensemble: a loose black sweater paired with ripped skinny jeans. His feet donned his usual dark boots, worn out and scuffed from use. Despite wearing the dimmest clothes on the spectrum, he stood out. Especially to Nari.

"Well I need to eat." She tapped her finger onto an imaginary watch on her wrist. "Right now."

"Good luck finding something to eat in here."

"Not in here," she retorted. "I'm going out."

Jungkook raised an eyebrow. "Right now?"

"Duh right now. I'm real close to starving to death." She set her cup onto the nearest stand. "You want to come with?"

Jungkook faltered at the question. He watched the girl under the dim lights, her usually sleek hair slightly tousled from the party. Her lipstick had slightly smeared outside of her natural lip line from downing a couple drinks.

He couldn't let her go out alone. Plus, he was utterly bored. He would have left anyway.

Nari didn't wait for an answer. "I'm going, so follow if you're bored enough." She's impatient, he thought.

He watched her push herself off the wall, weaving her way through the crowd. Her petite body soon got lost from Jungkook's sight. Without realizing, he felt his legs move forward.

Before he knew it, he had pushed his way to the door and was soon inhaling a large breath of much-needed fresh air. She was already a few meters ahead of him, taking careful steps into the night street. He could tell she was trying hard not to sway and lose her balance.

He followed behind her, retracing her steps. She swung her arms back and forth, occasionally tilting her neck towards the sky to look at the stars as she walked.

She wasn't watching where she was going, too occupied on the array of stars. She didn't see the delivery man on a scooter speeding towards her.

She did, however, feel the tight grip on her arm pull her to the inside of the road, another softer grip on her waist.

She felt warmth seep through her clothes where the hands were.

She saw an angry pair of dark eyes, a sharp jaw clenched shut.

"Watch where you're going." Jungkook whispered, loosening his tensed jaw.

Nari let in a sharp intake of breath, unable to hear anything due to the pounding in her ears from the blood coursing through her body in powerful waves due to a certain unstable heart.

She glanced down at the hand that was still clutching onto her arm and then at the other that was rested onto her hip. He was too close. Way too close. Her slightly drunken state of mind seemed to clear up in an instant.

He sobered her up really quick.

Following her gaze, Jungkook quickly detached his hands from her body, clearing his throat. He hadn't realized how close she was to him. He grabbed her in pure fear, fear that she would get hurt.

But why was he overreacting? It wasn't like he cared about her. Or so he thought.

"I-I will. Sorry."

Jungkook grunted in response. She chuckled at his sudden protectiveness and continued to walk, making sure to keep her eyes forward this time. Soon, she had reached the 24-hour convenience store.

The brightly LED lit store seemed like heaven to her empty stomach that was making enough noise to put a whale's moans to shame.

Right away, she grabbed two cup ramen's and trudged to the cash register. A pimply-faced teenage boy was working the counter. He glanced up from the game on his phone at the arrival of Nari.

A wide grin appeared on the boy's face as he shoved his phone into his back pocket. "Hello there!"

Jungkook leaned against the icecream cooler with an amused expression, watching Nari smile at the greasy teenage boy.

The boy scanned the ramen, making sure to scan Nari's body too with his eyes. "Does this complete your purchase pretty lady?"

The corner of Jungkook's lip twitched when Nari snatched the ramen from the slick worker's unsuspecting hands. Impatient, he thought.

"Yeah it does, little boy." She tossed a five dollar bill onto the counter, not bothering to wait for change or the reciept.

Yanking the plastic wrap open with her nails, she tossed one to Jungkook who barely managed to catch it in surprise. He held it up, cocking his head to the side. "For me?"

She rolled her eyes while filling the cup with hot water. "No, it's for the other boy that I came here with."

He shook his head, filling his own cup with the boiling water. Sarcastic, he thought.

Carefully clutching the hot bowl, Nari sat onto the plastic chair and table outside the convenience store. Jungkook followed suit, plopping himself down across from her.

"Ramen at 12 o'clock in the night?" Jungkook asked as Nari broke apart her wooden chopsticks, rubbing them together to get rid of splinters.

"It's the best time to eat ramen." She tapped the chopsticks against her chin as she waited for the noodles to cook. "Especially outside of a convenience store."

He was surprised; most girls usually didn't eat ramen at night in fear of waking up bloated the next day. Carefree, he thought.

Jungkook viewed the way she excitedly peeled back the lid, her chopsticks working fast to scoop up a large chunk of noodles. After blowing on them for five seconds, she shoveled it into .

The tips of Jungkook's mouth twitched again. But his mouth never broke out into a full smile. Not yet.

"I know I'm unbearably attractive, but you should eat your ramen before it gets cold instead of watching me."

Jungkook quickly averted his gaze, his ears slightly reddening. He too peeled the lid off, suddenly putting all his attention onto the noodles.

Nari smirked, slowly sipping the soup while Jungkook practically scarfed down the noodles. The food had tamed her hunger pangs and the warm soup was comforting her erratic heart.

Jungkook had always looked like such a bad boy; a cold statue that was practically unapproachable due to his icy aura. But now, watching his cheeks puff up with food, Nari couldn't help but giggle.

He looked young and almost like a bunny.

He was cute.

Jungkook swallowed, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand. "Why are you laughing?"

She smiled, her dimples appearing even deeper than usual. "I don't know Jungkook-ssi. You're just interesting."

Interesting? He didn't respond, just continuing to stare at her smile get wider.

"I realized that you aren't that bad to be around today," she complimented. She paused for a second, tucking her hair behind her ear before adding, "I think I'd like to be around you more."

Suddenly, Jungkook felt his stomach churn. He tried to convince himself that it was from eating the noodles too fast.

But seeing her eyes twinkle, the streetlights relfecting in the dark orbs, he couldn't help the steady heat rising to his face.

His heart sped up to the point where it eventually beat at the same tempo as the girl's across from him. The thoughts in his head muddled as his brain throbbed from the pressure of his thumping heart.

Within the muddled mess of thoughts, Jungkook could only decipher two words.

"Me too."

____________________________

A/N: Back with another update! Thank you for 60 subscribers :)

Jungkook's finally cracking a bit; don't you think?

But don't be too relieved; the boy's got some deep issues that we can't forget about (or more specifically, that he can't forget about lol)

This may be the start of NaKook/KookRi's (help me think of a ship name guys) budding relationship.

More to come soon! Comment what you thought!