one beat

Heartbeat

“The outcome of the Plessy versus Ferguson case was simple. Separate but equal.” Removing his rounded spectacles, Professor Lim raised one bushy gray eyebrow at the room full of students. “That case justified the Jim Crow laws of America, leading to the harsh segregation of blacks and whites. But you have to ask yourself this. Would you have defended that African-American man Homer Plessy during that age and time?”

He jabbed his finger into the air, almost accusingly, into the air as he asked the question. He didn’t want the bull. He wanted the truth.

 

Would you? Would you have protected him? Defended a fish against the sharks? A case that would obviously be lost?

 

“What about you Jay? Would you have defended him?”

 

Jay Kim, you assumed, abruptly sat up from his slouched position, clearing his throat. “Uhm, well, I believe that a lawyer shouldn’t take a case they aren’t comfortable in. I mean, if Plessy knew he was going to lose, what’s the point of going through that struggle?”

Professor Lim shoved his spectacles back onto his bleary eyes. “I respect that answer.” His face said otherwise though. He looked like he wanted to dropkick Jay.

You chuckled, but quickly brought your hand to your lips when it came out louder than expected. You held your breath as Professor Lim whirled around to face your direction.

A small smile curved onto the wrinkly lips of your professor. “Ah, Lee Nari student. Why don’t you give your opinion since you find it so...amusing. Would you have defended him?”

 

You mentally screamed at yourself in your head. Nice going you idiot.

 

“I would.” You managed to croak out. The whole class of fifty college students was staring at you. You silently prayed that a hole would open up from underneath you and you would sink into it, away from the watchful eyes.

 

“Elaborate please?”

 

You cleared your throat, brushing strands of messy hair out of your face. “He was going to lose. It was an obvious outcome, really. But look at what it led to. Plessy remains a figure in history because he tried. He fought back. And that’s the first step to justice. I would have defended him until the end because change starts with a singular action. It’s not always about the immediate outcome. It’s about what it inspires.”

 

The class remained silent. Congratulations Nari. You managed to say something stupid enough to leave the class speechless! Two rounds of applause for you! Here’s a medal too!

 

“PREACH IT GIRL.” You jerked in your seat, startled from the sudden voice. Your face broke out into a grin when you realized it was Eunji, your best friend. The girl was petite, but she had to voice of a bull.

 

Claps started to resonate throughout the room, a few whistles coming from here and there. You stayed glued to your seat, not knowing what to do in this situation.

Professor Lim smacked the podium with a textbook, quieting the inspired class. “Quiet you idiots!”

The class chuckled at the ancient professor’s sass. He turned to you, a slight twinkle in his eyes. “Interesting response miss Lee. Class dismissed.”

And with that, the class dispersed at the speed of light. A few students came over to clap you on the back. Your face was glowing red as you gave sheepish responses.

“It’s about what it inspires.” Eunji snorted as she strutted up to you, slinging her bag onto her shoulder.

 

“Shut up. From what I remember, you clearly screamed PREACH IT.” You shoved your laptop into your bag and hugged your textbook and binder to your chest. The two of you headed out into the campus, strolling towards the bus stop.

 

“Did I? I don’t recall.” Eunji stuck out her bottom lip as if she was in deep thought, earning a slap on the arm from you.

“You’re a pain in the .”

“That’s not very inspirational of you. I might need to take you to court.”

“Ugh, please lord, make her shut up.” You looked up to the sky, begging the big guy to shut your friends mouth.

 

Eunji made a zipping motion with her lips, completing the motion by throwing away a pretend key. “I’ll shut up now ma’am.”

 

“About time you do.” You plopped down onto the bench, wincing at its cold surface. Eunji sat down next to you, rambling on about the essay that was due next class.

 

Nearly impossible essay’s and intense memorization was what came with being a law student, so you soon learned to accept the fate. Even if it meant countless dark circles...and a lot of coffee.

 

You closed your eyes and zoned out Eunji’s blabbering. The light wind tickled your face, blowing the loose strands of hair around. In a few seconds, you could hear nothing but your steady heartbeat.

 

Your heartbeat.

 

What so many people take for granted, you cherished each beat that it made. After all, when one almost loses their life, you can’t help but be thankful for everything.

 

You were diagnosed with dilated cardiomyopathy at the tender age of 20, almost dying because of a dysfunctional heart. But that didn’t matter now. What mattered was that you were alive.

 

“Hello? Earth to Lee Nari?” You jerked your eyes open to see Eunji waving her hand in front of your face, angrily pouting. “Were you even listening to me?”

You flashed her an apologetic look. The bus rolled up, saving you from a passionate lecture from Eunji on how she shouldn’t space out so much. You hurriedly scurried up the bus steps, laughing as you heard Eunji grumbling about how mean you were.

You swiped your card against the sensor and brightly thanked the bus driver. He mumbled a half-hearted welcome in response while you scanned the crowded bus for a seat.

 

In the busy streets of Seoul, it was all lives for themselves. You saw one open seat and internally celebrated. This was a rare occurrence, and you weren’t giving that seat up for anything. (Sorry Eunji).

 

You practically flew over to the seat, ignoring Eunji’s cries behind you. She would have to stand for the bumpy ride while grabbing onto a metal ring. It won’t be an easy journey for the poor girl. You giggled evilly from your comfortable seat as Eunji gave you a death stare.

 

“Ah!” A tight pain stretched across your chest, sending waves of electricity through your body. You clutched your heart as it started to beat erratically. Squeezing your eyes shut, you tried to breathe through your nose. What the hell is wrong with me?

 

You hadn’t felt this much pain since you were diagnosed. Was your disease acting up again? But that was impossible...you were healed. You had a perfectly healthy heart inside of you...although it wasn’t yours.

 

“You dropped this.”

 

Thump. Thump. Thump. Thump.

 

At the sound of the voice, the speed of your heartbeat reached an unbearably uncomfortable pace. You clutched onto your chest even harder, suppressing a cough that was threatening to spill out. The voice was soothing, almost melodic to your ears. You were surprised that you could even hear it because of your deafining heartbeat.

 

You slowly lifted your gaze towards the voice.

Thump/Thump/Thump/Thump/Thump.

A boy who seemed around your age stared back at you with clear round eyes. Straight black hair peeked out of a black beanie, falling just above his eyes. He had a sharp jawline, but his lips were soft and thin. It seemed to be set in a permanent grimace, as if they hadn’t genuinely smiled in ages.

He was beautiful, yet it was strange how...familiar he seemed. Almost as if your heart recognized him.