The Adoption (part. 1)

Flutter

Do you think I was going to abandon this fic for God know how many months again? Well, you weren't entirely wrong. But I think of regularly updating this fic every week (let's pray I could do it) since I am currently on writing spree (and no Infinite cb as far as I see). ㅠㅠ

And from the previous chapter until this little arc finished, the timeline would be moving forward (no more going back to other time when they were newly married couple).

Hope you enjoy~


 

Today is the day for both Woohyun and Sunggyu to visit their lovely cousin and friend, Jang Dongwoo. The day the couple had been waiting for since a month ago, since their talk about adopting a child.  

 

After a month of talking to their respective parents about the news of their decision to adopt a child (which they got really elated by it) and mountain of works to be done by Sunggyu so he could take several days off, finally they could put the plan into action.  

 

Jang Dongwoo and his wife, Ailee, weren't an ordinary couple or relatives for Woohyun. They're like angels sent by God to take care of the abandoned children, at least Woohyun believe so.  

  

Dongwoo is only a year older than Woohyun, but already married to a beauty with a kind heart, Ailee since they were twenty-four and twenty-five respectively. They're the happiest couple that the younger envied of, back then when he hasn't meet his own other-half yet.  

  

Their happiness had to meet with some obstacles when Ailee was announced as sterile, one year into their marriage. Woohyun remember he bawled non-stop for a day, after hearing the news and Sunggyu had to calm him with lot of hugs, kisses and ice cream.  

  

But turns out, life had another bigger plan for them lovely couple. Dongwoo, who love to take care of children (his niece Sebin included), think of making a small orphanage (or safe haven for the lost angels, as he like to call it) where him and his wife could take care of unfortunate children.  

  

He needs to settle some legal files and tons of tiring house makeover for accommodating the children, but after a year, they finally manage to open their little warm haven for the unfortunate angels.  

  

And that was 3 years ago.  

  

Now at the age of twenty-nine, Dongwoo already become a father figure to five girls and three boys with various age. He took care of the children alongside Ailee like they were really their blood and flesh, no different from any other normal family. They love each of the children there with an infinite amount of love they could give.  

  

Woohyun himself used to volunteer to help babysitting and entertaining the children there, back when he hasn't married to Sunggyu yet. He still paid a visit sometimes with Sunggyu after his marriage, until one year ago when his book sold-out so well with an amazing record in a flash and the company pestering him to finish his ongoing book quickly.  

  

He got busier and thus, he could only keep in touch with his older cousin once in a few months and only by phone or quick lunch. He did feel guilty and missed the children there, at Infinite Love orphanage (the lame but cute name for an orphanage, Dongwoo style).  

  

It was one of the reasons Woohyun keen on adopting their future child from Dongwoo's place. As he was already close with the children there and he hoped the kids still remember him even after a year absence.  

  

But, it would be a hard pick to only choose one of the kids honestly. Moreover, he would feel guilty towards the remaining kids that didn't get chosen. That's why on the first week after their discussion with their parents, the couple actually search for another orphanage first. To keep them from having a bias judgement.  

  

However, none of the children from five orphanages they've visited so far catch their attention. The kids were cute and nice, of course. But not in the 'this is the one who could fit with us perfectly' sense. So, they give up in the end.  

  

After several days of contemplating, the lovebird finally decides to call Dongwoo and ask for his help, which the other was so glad to help. They set the date for visiting the orphanage and today, it's finally the D day.  

 

They choose to make the visit on the date where it was a start of school holiday for the kids (but sadly a normal working day for the adults), since they could meet with all the children that way. Some of the children were having different school hours schedule after all.  And they would probably sulk if Woohyun could only spend an hour or so in the orphanage. 

  

They took a short stop at the mall nearby first, on the way going to Dongwoo's place. They head to the children toys section at the mall department store once they've arrived, planning to spoiling the angels with new toys.  

  

Once they done with shopping, the couple walks back to their car, both hands full of plastic bags filled with the robot toys, dolls and many other type of toys. Woohyun was so sure the children would be so happy at his arrival.  

  

In the next thirty minutes’ drive, Sunggyu and Woohyun finally reach their destination. A pretty big house with bright yellow wall and lots of doodles consist of rainbows and unicorns on it, one could expect from child-man Dongwoo. It's weirdly fitting with the cheerful orphanage image, so Woohyun can't comment on his cousin's weird taste.  

  

The said man is already waiting for the couple at the front door by the time Sunggyu parked his car at the spot near the house, a big grin could be spot on his face even from the far distance.   

  

"You ready, baby?" Sunggyu turn to his right, asking the younger once he turns off the car engine.  

  

"I'm more than ready, hyung." Woohyun replied with assuring smile. Hands reaching out to intertwine it with his husband's. "In fact, I'm so excited! I could finally meet the children again."  

  

True to his words, Woohyun's eyes sparkle in delight, much to Sunggyu's amusement. The elder chuckled at the intentional display of cuteness, he draws his hands close to his lips and peck the younger's hand in his hold. "Okay then, let's get off and greet Dongwoo first."  

  

The couple walks hand in hand to greet the shortest man of the three, who let out a laugh and hugs the couple in replied. "You guys come just right in time before we start lunch. Come in."  

  

Dongwoo then ushered them both to the dining room, air filled with delicious aroma of the food the closer they get to the room. Children giggling and chattered could be heard even before they see their faces, the atmosphere was a light and happy one.  

  

Upon reaching the dining area, Dongwoo told Woohyun and Sunggyu to hide for a while. He wants to give a surprise to the kids, that's why he didn't tell them yet that the couple would arrive today.  

  

"Kids, I have some important guests coming." Dongwoo said. All of the sudden the room grown quiet at his words, he is successfully gathering the children's attention towards him. "Do you want to know who they are?" The father figure teased them a bit more.  

  

The children were murmuring among themselves to guess who are the important guests, while Dongwoo and Ailee give each other a knowing look and chuckled at the random guess the kids made. Well, to be fair, Santa and Rudolph were important guest for them.  

  

The eldest girl presents in the room then interrupting the guess party. "Appa, just tell us already." She pouts cutely at Dongwoo, tired of guessing.  

  

That's Bora for you. The ten years old girl was the longest residence than the rest of the kids, thus she is so close to the Jang family they could practically call her a carbon copy of the 'parents'. She already knows how to handle her appa endless teasing.  

  

Dongwoo laugh at her eldest daughter protest, he then gives a cue for Woohyun and Sunggyu to enter the room. "Alright alright, Bora-ya. Here, see for yourself who is our important guests."   

  

When the couple first step into the room, the muttering died down in instant. All the kids in the room were gaping as if they don't believe in what they see. Before then the hell broke loose, the adults could only hear the children screaming in delight.  

  

They quickly swarming Woohyun who only laugh from all the children's excited shouts, all but one boy who still sit quietly on his chair. The raven-haired boy's gaze looks at Woohyun and shift to Sunggyu that stood beside his husband, before he shoots another look to Dongwoo's direction. As if questioning who their guests are and why the kids seem so happy to see them.  

  

Dongwoo, who meet the little boy's gaze, seems to suddenly remember the most important fact right there. "Ahh! I'm sorry Myungsoo-ya. I forget that you're new here." He let out an embarrassed chuckle.  

  

"Here is my cousin, Woohyun. He used to volunteer here a lot before you came, you can call him uncle Woohyun." Dongwoo point to Woohyun's direction, who momentarily took his eyes off the chattering children in front of him.  

  

Like love at the first sight, Woohyun got struck by the little boy's visual. He couldn't even listen to his cousin who briefly introduced Sunggyu as his husband to the raven-haired boy. Myungsoo. The name feels so right in his mouth.  

  

He could only tear his eyes off the little boy when Ailee calls the kids and told them to eat. The children obediently sit on their respective chair and Ailee greets him with a hug after she put down the dishes on the dining table.  

  

Woohyun look at his husband after he replied Ailee's greetings, only to meet a knowing look on his other-half's face. They both could feel it, the missing pieces that never present in the other children they've met. Myungsoo is the one.  

  

Dongwoo drop a kiss on his wife's cheeks and asks them to join the lunch, which Sunggyu and Woohyun obliged. They have a wonderful simple lunch surrounded by the children's small talk, but the couple sometimes still found their eyes looking at the little raven-haired boy who only eat in silence.  

  

After the lunch ended, Dongwoo ushered the kids to the play room, promising the protesting children that their favorite Woohyunnie uncle would join them soon. That does the trick, as the children stop complaining and muttered a quick 'bye uncle' to Woohyun and Sunggyu.  

  

While the kids finally cleared the dining room, Woohyun offered to help Ailee to wash the dishes, while Sunggyu come back to their parked car to get the toys they've bought before.  

  

Woohyun was helping on drying the now clean plates, but still had his mind on Myungsoo. He wants to know more about this boy. "Ailee noona, who's that Myungsoo kid? Is he new?"  

  

"Hmm? Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you about our newest addition to our house, Woohyun-ah." Ailee chuckled lightly. "He is Kim Myungsoo, seven years old. He came not long after you stop coming to help."  

  

The younger was muttering series of apologies for not being able to help, but the elder woman only laughs dismissively. "Hey, it's not your fault that your book selling so well in the market. In fact, we stocked some of your books in our play room. The kids love it." Ailee smile brightly.  

  

"Anyway, back about Myungsoo. He's quite unfortunate, because one and a half years ago, his parents were involved in a car accident that took their life in instant. He was at his grandma's house when the accident occurred, so he is fine." Ailee then let out a sigh.  

  

"But another bad thing happened, six months after his parent's death, his grandmother has been founded in coma after slipping on the wet bathroom floor in their house. Not long after, she passed away too. If the death of his parents before already shook him enough, the death of his grandma finally broke him." 

  

Ailee had a somber look on his face while she continued. "Myungsoo and his father was the only child in their family, and his mother's family didn't have many relatives since the beginning. That leaves Myungsoo alone without blood relatives to live with, that's when Dongwoo's friend who also a doctor in the hospital where Myungsoo's grandma hospitalizes before her death, told my husband about him. We fall in love with him and decide to adopt him into our house."  

  

Woohyun was tearing up by the time Ailee finish with her story. He didn't know that such a small kid could already had so many sad things happened to him in such an early age. He felt a tug on his sleeve and find Sunggyu stood behind him with an open arm. Turns out he had been listening to their conversation too.  

  

The younger quickly dive into his husband's warm embrace and sobs quietly, while Sunggyu had his hands on Woohyun's back and soothingly rub it to calm his husband. He drops a kiss to the smaller male's crown after the sobs died down. Poor baby, he was shaking lightly from the sobs. 

 

He knows Woohyun has a sensitive heart to begin with and the story about Myungsoo was too sad, Sunggyu would be tearing up himself if not for the fact he had to be the strong one for both of them. He glances to Ailee's direction and saw the understanding look on her face, they both used to the cry baby Woohyun.  

  

After Woohyun finally feel decent enough to face the elders in the room, he detached himself from his husband's embraces. He looks at Ailee and gives her a sheepish smile, eyes still red from the tears.  

  

Ailee chuckled lightly to lift the mood. "Go wash you face, Woohyunnie. Don't want to scare the kids with your awful red eyes." She laughs after she sees a pout forming on the younger male's face. It's too easy to .  

  

Then, Ailee left both of them with an excuse to see how Dongwoo surviving with handling 9 kids on his own, but not before thanked the couple for the amount of new toys they brought with them. And maybe, to give them some private time too.  

  

"You okay, baby? Do you feel better now?" Sunggyu asks worriedly once Ailee left them. He cups the younger's face, examining the reddened eyes and cheeks.  

  

Woohyun look up to meet his husband's gaze. "Mmm.. I'm okay now, hyung. But, it was so heart breaking to hear about Myungsoo's condition. The poor kid had so much sad things going on, when all he deserves is happiness."  

  

Sunggyu seems to think about something for some seconds, but quickly give the younger a bright and confident smile. "I agree, he only deserves a happy life. And that's our job to give him that, don't you think so, Hyun-ah? I see the look in your eyes when you laid your eyes on him. He's the one."  

  

Woohyun's eyes widen at his husband's words. So, he wasn't hallucinating after all when he saw the same awed look on the elder's face. He really is his other half.  

  

"So, you agree with me that he is the one? That Myungsoo is the perfect addition to our little family, hyung?" Woohyun asks, just to make sure. He got his answer with a light peck on his temple.  

  

"Yes, baby. I think he would fit nicely with us. He is cute and he reminds me of you a bit." Sunggyu reassure him. He kisses Woohyun's plump lips when he saw him smiling brightly at his reply, which the younger eagerly reply to the kiss.  

  

It didn't last that long, since they heard someone clearing his throat from behind Sunggyu. It was Dongwoo, who leaned against the door. "I wonder what keep you up so long from meeting the kids, Hyun-ah. Turns out it was Sunggyu hyung."  

  

Upon seeing the teasing smile on his cousin's face, Woohyun quickly detached himself from his husband's embrace. Cheeks turning red in embarrassment. "I'm coming now, Dongwoo hyung."  

  

"Oh God! I think I don't need that much information, Hyun." Dongwoo smirk tuned into a laugh when he successfully teases the younger more, happy when he sees the blush decorating Woohyun's face grown redder.  

  

"Hyung! I don't mean it that way!" Woohyun glare at his elder cousin, furious from the embarrassing innuendo. He became even annoyed when Sunggyu join the laughing fest, so he pinches his husband's waist in reply.  

  

That did stop the elder from laughing, as he yelps from the pain. "Woohyunnie, it was Dongwoo who said that. Why am I the one who got pinched?" Sunggyu tried to put his inexistent aegyo to protest the unfair judgment.  

  

Woohyun rolled his eyes, but not saying anything more as he rubs the spot he pinches earlier affectionately. Earning him a smiling Sunggyu at the soothing gesture.  

  

"Ehemm.." Dongwoo once again let out a fake cough. "Hate to break your lovey-dovey moment, dear cousin. But the kids are getting impatient and want to meet their favorite uncle who never visits them in the past one year."  

  

This time, Woohyun really feel bad about it. He should've made time to visit them no matter how busy he was. He looks down in instant, ashamed from his lack of time management.  

  

Dongwoo walk closer to the couple and side hug the younger, he offers an apologizing smile. "Hey, I'm just joking Hyun. I know you were really busy back then, I didn't blame you for it."  

  

Woohyun look up to his cousin, small smile on his face. "I know hyung. But I still feel guilty, I miss the kids too." He let out a sigh and continues in a more cheerful voice. "But let's not talk about it and make the kids wait longer."  

  

With that, Woohyun walk towards the play room with Sunggyu following behind him, hands both full with the plastic bags filled with toys. Dongwoo part ways with them halfway, said that he needs to do other things.  

  

The couple arrived at the play room and was showered with excited scream from the children. Woohyun told them to sit down and wait for him to call their name in turn to get the toys, which they follow willingly. Sunggyu just sit down quietly not far away from the younger and watch how his husband manages the kids swiftly.  

  

Woohyun called them one by one with age order, so of course Bora had a big smile on his face by the time his uncle call her name. He gave the girl a baseball ball, mitten and the bat. All in mini size of course, because even though Bora is a girl, she has been taking interest in a sport that was usually for boys.  

  

The short-haired girl thanked Woohyun with a loud 'Thank you uncle Woohyun!' and peck on both sides of his face, which Woohyun just laugh and hug her. She even made a promise to make her own baseball team with the other kids from his school. Such a cutie.  

  

The reactions from the other kids after Bora are pretty much the same. Jiae, Mijoo, Kei and Yein were content with their stuffed animals and new Barbie with lots of pretty dresses to play with. Woohyun even bought them a tea set for them to play date and have tea party, the girls love him for that and showers him with hugs and kisses.  

  

The boys, all three boys that Woohyun remember from back when he used to help with the orphanage, were swarming him in instant once they got their new toy car, mini helicopter and a transformer robot. Jangjun, Youngtaek and Seungmin promise him they wouldn't fight for the toys and share it peacefully.  

  

After the boys done thanking him with what they deemed as a 'cool hand-shake for cool kids', Woohyun was left with the silent Myungsoo who just stare at him with an unreadable gaze. The gaze is almost blank and it hurts Woohyun's heart to see it.  

  

The boy was sitting in some distance from the other kids since Woohyun first enter the room, even though the other boys talk to him and promise to share with him the new toys too. Myungsoo only nod his head, but look neither happy nor sad with the promise.  

  

Woohyun clears his throat and call the handsome little boy's name attentively. "Kim Myungsoo?"  

  

Myungsoo seems a bit startled, maybe he didn't think Woohyun would remember his name. But he only stares at Woohyun, not getting up to come by and get the toy from him. After all, he never knows about the elder's existence before.  

  

"Myungsoo?" Woohyun tried again. "We haven't been introduced properly to each other yet, but you could think of me as your uncle for now. I still have some toys left, do you want to choose it yourself, hmm?" Woohyun offer his brightest smile to the little boy.  

  

Myungsoo seems still a bit reluctant to come closer, so Ailee who had been keeping an eye on them finally decides to help. She crouched down to Myungsoo's height. "Myungsoo-ya, you can trust that uncle. He is everyone's favorite and he wouldn't bite you."  

  

Ailee chuckled when he sees Woohyun's smile a bit faltering after he heard about the 'biting' part, almost seems like he's offended. "Come and introduced yourself properly, okay? And take any of the toys that you like, that uncle already bought them anyway." Ailee continues, she then ushered the boy to stand up.  

  

Myungsoo cautiously walk to Woohyun's direction, hands joined in front of him as a sign of his nervousness. The boy stops when he is one-meter distance from the elder, he looks at Woohyun's eyes almost shyly. "I'm Kim Myungsoo. I am seven years old and I love cat."  

  

Ailee claps her hand from behind him and tells the boy that he had done a good job, which the little boy finally let out a small smile, there's a hint of dimples on his chubby cheeks. While Woohyun was far gone in awe from the boy's cuteness, Kim Myungsoo is so cute!  

  

"Woohyun-ah." Sunggyu call his husband to make him back to task at his hand, though he was already falling for the little boy's smile too.  

  

"O-Oh! Right!" Woohyun stutter a bit. He rummages the remaining plastic bags and smile when he found what he wants. "Myungsoo-ya, since earlier you were telling me that you love cat, do you want this grey cat plushy? He's cute, don't you think so?"  

  

Woohyun could practically see Myungsoo's eyes light up when he holds the cat plushy, he seems to like the toy already. But to his disappointment, the little boy didn't immediately come to him to get the plushy. Instead, Myungsoo look at his back, towards Ailee as if he was asking another permission to accept the toy.  

  

When Ailee gives a nod of approval, just then Myungsoo start walking slowly to Woohyun and timidly taking the plushy. He holds the cat plushy and its soft and short grey fur. That's the second time Woohyun see the boy smiling, this time bigger than before and Woohyun feel himself falling for the boy all over again.  

  

Myungsoo was muttering a soft 'thank you, uncle Woohyun' and to Woohyun's amazement, hug him for a brief moment, before hiding his face behind the stuffed animal. He then walks back quickly to his spot, Ailee patted his head with a smile once he sits down.  

 

Woohyun was once again stunned, the younger was too cute for words! How could Woohyun not fall for him?  

 

But he was quickly snapped back to reality when the other kids start asking him to read them a story, because the 'present-giving' time is finally over and they miss him reading them a story.  

  

Woohyun let out a wide smile and walk to the book shelf in the corner of the room, he settles with taking the children fairytale, Peter Pan. "Okay, now who's excited to read about Mr. Peter Pan defeating Captain Hook?"  

  

The kids were screaming in excitement and Woohyun could feel his ears momentarily deaf from the loud scream, but he's too happy to mind it. Instead, his smile only gets bigger. "Okay kids, calm down and be quiet. Uncle Woohyun would read it for you." 

 


A/n: Finally, the real plot! Sorry that I cut down some lovey-dovey moment for our main pairing (at least until the adoption arc finished) and introduced so many names in this chapter (Idk who I should put as the kids name tbh), but this need to be done so you girls would get your lovely woogyu with kid (like I initially intended for this story). ^^

So, now the mystery card is out and you know who's gonna be our little addition to woogyu family! *yeayy*

I break the adoption part because it would be too long for one chapter update and it would take me longer to update otherwise. Are you okay with that? Shorter but more frequent update? Please tell me how do you want it.. : )

Thank you and see you soon~ ♡