Chapter 9

On Sunny Days

Kyungsoo and Jaejoong soon return and Sally was relieved that nothing had happened whenever she visited Changmin and he seems to be doing well too. Sally and Kyungsoo have a date planned later that night, and Jaejoong was going to spend time with Changmin that night.

Kyungsoo and Sally sat next to each next to each other as they sat side by side, eating the latest food that has been going around on the internet; Sliced beef wraps, a fusion of Korean food and western food.

“I got you something while I was away” Kyungsoo says as reaches into his pocket and starts fumbling in his pocket struggling to get it out, when it seems like it was just about to emerge from his  pocket, it came out all at once causing Kyungsoo to lose his grip and the object came tumbling out in a rush and bounced off the paving and into the gutter.

“Crap!” Kyungsoo yells as he gets onto his knees and tries to see where the present has fallen, “I think I can get it if I just stretch a little more…”

“It’s fine; I don’t really need a present!”

“But I want you to have it.” He says stretches out further. “Got it!” He yells excitedly, “I really want you to have it!” He repeats with a smile as he gets up and presents the gift; and instantly the smile falls off his face. The small white teddy bear was now a very unsavory muddy brown with bits of decaying leaves and tricks caught in the fur.

“Um… I think it’s better if we leave it…” Kyungsoo says awkwardly as he slowly closes his fingers around the small bear.

Sally frowns a little as before she reaches for Kyungsoo’s hand.

“I think it’s perfect.” Sally says with a smile. “It’s so cute.” She says bringing the small bear to her face, making the bear do a little dance.

“But it’s dirty…” Kyungsoo frowns as he reaches for the little bear.

“Don’t insult it, It belongs to me now.”

Kyungsoo thinks a little more, his eyebrows knotted tightly together, before his face relaxes into a resigned expression, ‘Do you really like it?”

“Yes!”

“As long as you like it.” Kyungsoo says as he held out his hand and Sally smiles as their finger intertwine.

Kyungsoo drives Sally back home and makes sure she makes it safely back into her apartment before leaving and returning to his own apartment.

Sally takes off her shoes and notices that Jaejoong was not back yet. She doesn’t think much of it until she looks at her phone for the first time that night. There were few missed calls from Jaejoong, and message.

 

Jaejoong; Running late, won’t be able to make it. Please bring the food in the fridge for him.

Sally glances quickly at the time before grabbing the food and rushing out of the door. While she stood in the elevator she thought of calling Kyungsoo but then remembered that he was scheduled for a shoot early the next morning, so she decided against it and hailed a cab.

 

Sally’s footsteps echo throughout empty hallway as she hurries toward to apartment. She rings the bell and when there was no response and unsettling feeling started in her heart. In the last few days Sally has come to know how unpredictable Changmin’s condition was, he would be fine one day and the next day he would be too weak to get out of bed. Although Changmin would complain that he wasn’t a child; that he didn’t need people checking up on him; but his complaints fell on deaf ears; as Sally, Kyungsoo and JaeJoong would continue to pop in bring him food and make sure nothing was wrong.

 

When there was still no response the second time she rang the bell, she bent down and found the spare key hidden carefully so that only the four of them knew where it was. It wasn’t the first time Changmin didn’t answer the door; it would often happen, and in the end Changmin would be fine and nothing would have happened. Sally kept thinking this to herself as she unlocked the door and let herself in.

“Changmin?” She yells into the hallway.

When there is no response she yells a little louder, “Changmin?”

Something was really off, and Sally started to shake, she ran to his room but he wasn’t there, nor was he in the bathroom or study. The only place she hadn’t searched was the kitchen. Of Course he would be in the kitchen, Sally thought to herself as she relaxes, if he’s in the kitchen he should be fine.

“Changmin,” She says as she walks into the kitchen, “How many times do I- Changmin?” Changmin was lay motionless on the kitchen floor, broken glass shattered all over the floor. ‘Changmin! Changmin!! Wake up.” Sally says as she puts both hand on either sides of his shoulder to see if she could get a response, Sally was about to call the ambulance when she saw Changmin’s eyes blink slowly, “Sally?” He says groggily as he sits up and accidently cuts his hand on the glass. “Ouch, what happened?” He asks as he looks around.

“Can’t you even take care of yourself for one night?” She says angrily, but the anger was not directed at Changmin, it was more directed to herself for not getting here earlier and preventing the situation from happening. ‘Do you know how scared I was?”

Changmin gets up slowly after picking the glass out of his hand.

“You don’t need to take care of me; it’s not your job.” He says tiredly, he was indeed tired; tired of only being able to show his weak side to Sally.” Sally comes to him to support him, but he moves away from her supportive arm, but ends up collapsing on the counter.

“Let me just help you to bed ok?”

Sally led him to his bed and helped him get it. She helped him change into other clothes in case it had any glass trapped in the fabric. She also dressed the cuts on his hand, which luckily didn’t require any stitches.

“You have a fever. I’ll go buy some medicine.” Sally says as she leaves to go to the nearest convenience store. By the time she gets back she found Changmin asleep.

“Changmin?” But he doesn’t stir.

Sally decides to leave a note telling him to take the medicine, but because she doesn’t know when he would wake up, she thought it would be better if she gives Changmin the medicine now.

She takes a few of the pills and sits down by his side and shakes him a bit harder, his eyes open but he look confused and still half asleep. “Changmin you need to take your medication.”

She manages to coax him to open his mouth and she gives him the pills and he swallow the pill and seems to slip back to sleep. Sally turns back and get up when a hand pulls he back with a force that forces her to sit back down on the bed.

“Changmin?” she says confused.

“Don’t go.” Changmin softly with his eyes still closed.

“What-?” Sally says as she tries to figure out if Changmin was awake or was it his fever speaking.

“I’m so happy that you are by my side again.” He says with the same soft time as his grip tightens for a second before his hands fall back to his side.