Chapter 5

On Sunny Days

Sally arrives at the coffee shop, as she gets out of the car; sunlight warms her face as she closes the car door. She feels a slight vibration in her bag, she opens her bag and glances quickly at the phone expecting Kyungsoo to be calling; but when she sees the number on the caller Id, she blocks the call. There is no need for unnecessary distractions right now. She puts her phone away as she walks towards the coffee shop. The waiter leads her to the outdoor seating area shaded by a giant sun umbrella looking out onto a small garden area.  She orders a glass of water planning on ordering something else when Kyungsoo arrives so that they could order together.

A few moments later there was a light tap on her shoulder.

“Sally?”

She turns around and see’s Kyungsoo holding a bouquet of different flavored ice creams carefully placed on pale blue paper wrapping.

“Well… Uh… I’ve really gotten to know you over the past few months… and it confirmed one thing for me… I would like to get to know you better, in a more than a friend way… Would you like to go out with me?” words rushed out of Kyungsoo’s mouth in a rush. He maintains eye contact with Sally as much as he can but he panics when she looks away. He glances at the trees a little way from the table, and meets tiffany’s eyes, who give him a nod in encouragement.

Sally seems to suddenly snap out of trance as she gets up from her seat and looks up at Kyungsoo.

“Shall we?”

Kyungsoo smiles and gets up and pulls her in for a breath hug. The two smile shyly at each other as their friends who have been watching come out of hiding and surround the new couple, celebrating loudly.

In Sally’s bag, forgotten in all the festivities, lies on its side, ringing and ringing eventually turning into voice mail.

“Please leave a message after the beep.*beep.”

“Please, Sally, just listen to what I have to say, I can explain everything that happened in the past ok? Please just give me a chance and pick up or call me, please… I really need your help.”

The weather forecast plays in the background as Sally get’s ready for her first date with Kyungsoo since they have started dating.

“… A thunder storm is predicted to be hitting Seoul later today, please be-“

Sally switches off the TV and puts on a pair of boots and locks the door. Kyungsoo should be waiting downstairs where they have agreed to meet. The lock clicks into places as a hand holds her shoulder making her jump; she turns around expecting Kyungsoo, even though they had agreed to meet downstairs.

“Kyun…” She turns around chuckling, but her voice trails off. “Changmin? What are you doing here?”

Kyungsoo was waiting by the staircase as he glances at his watch, Sally is already 15 minutes late and he was starting to get worried, so he decides to just go upstairs and meet her there and see if she needed any help. As he reaches the top of the staircase he hears Sally speaking with someone.

“… I want nothing to do with you ok? Please just stop bothering me ok? Stop calling… The past is the past ok? Just let it go ok?”

Kyungsoo turns the corner and sees Changmin gripping tightly on Sally’s arm as she tried to shake him off. Sally is the first to spot Kyungsoo, and then Changmin who loosens his grip from shock, but it was just enough for Sally to finally shake him off.

“Kyungsoo, I thought we were meeting downstairs.”

“Yeah… I just came to see if you needed any help.” Kyungsoo says glaring at Changmin. Sally had told Kyungsoo that Changmin had been calling her for a while now, but she never answered any of his calls. “Let’s go…” He says putting himself between Changmin and Sally as the two make their way to the staircase.

“Please… I’m running out of time…” Changmin cries as he watches the two walk away with their back turned away from him.

“I’m dying!” He cries loudly, falling to his knees. “I’m dying and no one cares…”

The sound of someone clearing their throat brings Changmin out of his reverie; he looks up and sees a hand outstretched in front of him.

Kyungsoo pulls Changmin up from the floor as Sally opened the door to the apartment and goes into the kitchen. Kyungsoo points to the couch “have a seat.”

Sally comes out of the kitchen with glasses of water and hands one to Kyungsoo and another to Changmin.

“I’m sorry about your illness, but there is nothing I can do for you…”

“That’s what my doctor told me too…” Changmin laughs bitterly. “But that isn’t what I need you for.” He says looking into Sally’s eyes as he reaches for her hand which she avoids. “Please I just don’t want to die alone.”

Sally sighs softly as she puts her hand on Changmin’s arm.

“Really I’m sorry, but there really is nothing I can do... Is there anyone you would like me to call?”

“No… there’s no one left for me anymore… except you… Please… “Changmin says as tears start pooling in his eyes.

Sally takes her hands off of his arms as Kyungsoo stepped in, handing him some tissues. Sally felt sorry for the man who looked like a shell of his former shelf; something had visibly happened in the years that they were not together.

“What do you think Sally can do for you that other doctors cannot do? I’m sure there are other capable doctors in Seoul who can help you.” Kyungsoo says softly as sits down next to Changmin.

“I’ve already been everywhere, Korea, China, Europe, the United States… I’ve tried conventional medicine, traditional medicine, I’ve tried everything I could possibly think of and nothing has helped.”

Kyungsoo nods sympathetically, “Then what do you think Sally can do for you?”

Changmin looks up and into sally’s eyes with an eerie clarity that scares Sally. “She can heal my heart.”


Author Note: Hello! I love the new cover!