Chapter 10

On Sunny Days

Sally lay in her bed, her heart still unsettled by Changmin’s words. To say it was unexpected would be an understatement, but what confused her was the moment when her heart stopped when he said the word. It wasn’t because she was developing feeling; but rather her heart stopped at the prospect that he could still have feeling for her that she could no reciprocate. But at the same time, maybe she didn’t need to worry about that either. Sally felt like Changmin was just saying things like that because he was delirious from the fever.

 

This was confirmed for Sally when she went to go visit Changmin the next day. He greeted her as usual.

“Thank you for helping me last night.”

“It’s ok.” Sally says carefully.

“When did you leave?” He asks as he bit into an apple.

This question made Sally freeze. Does he remember after all?

“A little after midnight…” She answers carefully bracing herself for what he may say next; but all that came was a nonchalant nod as he continued to eat his apple.

 

Sally decided that she was probably just over reacting; not that it would be the first time she ever over reacted. While she lay in her bed earlier, she had considered if she should tell Kyungsoo, after all he was her boyfriend whom she cared about a lot, but seeing as Changmin doesn’t even remember, she thought it would be better to not make a big deal out of nothing.

 

Later that night she got a call from Kyungsoo.

“What are you doing tomorrow?” He asks. And Sally could almost hear the smile on Kyungsoo’s lips, which in turn made her smile.

“I have nothing planned.”

“You do now; do you want to go to out tomorrow?”

“YES!” Sally says excitedly. This would be the first time they would go on an official date since they started dating.

 

Changmin sat in the kitchen watching Sally’s weird behavior. A few days have already past and he was feeling a lot better as his fever had gone down significantly. Changmin chuckled to himself as he watched Sally open all the drawers and crouching down to look under the table.

“Are you looking for something?” Changmin asks with a grin that Sally didn’t return.

‘Yeah, I’m looking for a bear that was on my bag.” She says as she continues to search.

It was the teddy bear which Kyungsoo has just given to her a few days ago. She put it on her bag, feeling that having the teddy bear with was like she had a part of Kyungsoo with her all the time. But it’s barely been a few days as she goes and loses already. The last time she remembered seeing it was when she came to Changmin’s house the day before, but when she got home last night it had disappeared already.

“Oh you mean this?” Changmin says as he goes somewhere and come back holding a little white bear. He hands it to Sally with a beam.

Sally takes it from him, smiling for the first time that day but her smile soon fizzles away as she realized it wasn’t the one Kyungsoo gave her.

Sally sighs as she hands it back to Changmin, “It’s not this one.”

“How can you tell?”

“Of course…” Sally says.

“But isn’t this one better?”

“It’s not the same Changmin. This one might be perfect, but the one I have it just perfect for me.”

Changmin sighs as he gets up, “Wait a second.” He says as he disappears once again.

He come back with Sally’s teddy in his hand and put it on the counter.

“Well… I saw this the other day, and I just happened to have this new one so I thought I would replace it for you.”

“I don’t know why you would do that, this one maybe dirty and not as nice, but I am proud to call this mine.”

“I’m sorry; I didn’t know it meant so much to you.” Sally gives him a long look, before sighing, “It’s ok, as long as I found it.”

Changmin takes another bite awkwardly. “Can I ask what makes it so special?”

“Kyungsoo gave it to me.”

Changmin just nods as he swallows the lump that had formed in his throat.


The next morning; Changmin woke up with a headache; he didn’t get much sleep mulling over what Sally had said the previous night. He sighs as he wonders how he is supposed to keep these feelings the he always kept even when he broke her heart. He drags himself out of his bed and makes his bed, which he had neglected during the past few days, he shakes the blanket and a packet drops out from the folds of the blanket. He picks up the white medicine bag, “Fever medication?”

It suddenly comes back to him like a bolt of lightning. ‘Don’t go’

“I need to explain to her!” He says pacing around the apartment, trying to remember what he had said;. He massages his temples as he tries to recall that night. ‘Don’t go… and I pulled her..” Changmin clapped loudly. ‘Happy that she is back by my side.”  Does that mean she knows how he feels? But then why was she acting so normally? Changmin needed answers and he knew where he would find them.

 

He paced up and down outside his doorway, she should be arriving sometime soon for to bring him lunch. He hears the sound of the doorway and waits a few moments to make it seem like he wasn't waiting right by the door.

“Changmin?”

The voice wasn’t right; too deep to be Sally. Changmin stared at Jaejoong who was holding a container of some over spicy looking Curry.

“Jaejoong?”

“You sure look happy to see me…” Jaejoong rolls his eyes as he walks past the shocked Changmin and into the kitchen.

“I was just expecting to see Sally. Where is she?”

“She asked me to come instead; she had a date today!” Jaejoong laughs.

Changmin takes a few moments to process this, “Where are they going?”

“Well…” Jaejoong says as he takes out the bowls. “Kyungsoo told me something about XX, the amusement park? Apparently there is going to be a firework show later today.”

Changmin pales, alarming Jaejoong.

“ Are you ok?”

“I didn’t sleep well yesterday; probably lack of sleep.” Changmin says brushing off Jaejoong’s concern.

“I should let you get some rest then, eat quickly and go to sleep ok?”

Changmin nods as Jaejoong smiles and pats his back as he leaves.

 

As soon as Jaejoong leaves, Changmin does a quick search and locks his apartment and quickly hails a taxi.