Chapter 8

On Sunny Days

For the next month, Kyungsoo and Sally take turns going to check on Changmin; sometimes they go together, but because they both have busy schedules, normally they go alone. At first Sally felt slightly uncomfortable when it was just Changmin and herself; but as time went on she felt more at ease when she felt nothing when she was with Changmin except the feeling for a friend. This was especially apparent when compared to the butterflies she felt when she was with Kyungsoo.

“I have to go to China next week for about 2- 3 weeks.” Kyungsoo says one day when he and Sally were relaxing in her apartment watching anime. Jaejoong comes out his room and joins them.

“Oh yeah! You got casted in a new drama, congratulations.” Jaejoong says as he opens a bag of popcorn.

“So, I wanted to ask you to maybe go visit Changmin if you have time?” Kyungsoo asks, looking at JaeJoong.

Jaejoong frowns, “As much as I would like to help, I’m afraid, I’m not going to be in Seoul for the next few weeks either…” JaeJoong’s voice trails off as both Kyungsoo and Jaejoong turn and face Sally.

Sally rolls her eyes, “you don’t need to worry about me, and it’s just taking care of a friend ok?”

The two guys nod but look at each other with worried expressions.

A few days later both Kyungsoo and Jaejoong has left to their respective appointments. Sally walks out of the elevator with sandwiches in hand when someone suddenly pushes past her and disappears into the elevator, Sally does a double take, but she doesn’t see who it is but if she could almost hear the sound of someone laughing. She shakes her head, it must be her imagination, she bends down and picks up the food that she dropped, luckily nothing had spilled over and she goes and presses the door bell. She waits for a few moments before Changmin comes and opens the door.

“Come in.”

“I brought sandwiches.”

“Great! I was just about to step out to get something to eat.”

“Then you are in luck.” Sally smiles as she opens the container, but to her horror the sandwiches are no longer recognizable. Bits of lettuce and tomatoes with dressing and bread looking more like a strange salad than anything else.

Changmin laughs as he picks up a slice of lettuce, “I thought you said you made sandwiches.”

“I did, it’s just that I happened to dropped it…”

“What happened?” Changmin asks, “You’re usually careful when it come to food.”

“Someone pushed me and it dropped, But it’s seriously no big deal, If you don’t want to eat my sandwiches, then it’s your loss.” Sally says rolling her eyes, as she grabs the container.

“I didn’t say I’m not eating…” He says as he grabs a piece of bread and start piling the different ingredients onto his sandwich, “It’s like a DIY sandwich.”

Sally smiles as she rolls her eyes, “most people don’t consider sandwiches to be ‘DIY’, ok?”

She leaves a little while later, “I’ll come by tomorrow again… around lunch time?”

“I thought tomorrow was Kyungsoo…”

“Well for the next few weeks, it’ll only me, Kyungsoo went on a trip.”

Changmin nods, “Then I’ll see you tomorrow.”

Sally smiles as she waves goodbye, she gets waits for the elevator, she sends Kyungsoo a quick text message saying that she just left. There is a ping indicating the arrival of the elevator. Sally looks up as the door opens and again a figure wearing a dark hoody rush out and pushes past her.

“Hey!” Sally yells.

“Watch what you doing.” The person replies.

“What is with the people today… “Sally says as she shakes her head, and gets on the elevator as her phone starts ringing

“Hello? Kyungsoo?”

Changmin stood by the door, watching Sally leave when he saw the incident again. “What are the chances that it happens twice on the same day?” Changmin was about go back in when the person in the black hood brushes past. “OPPAA!” a feminine voice screams. The voice causes fear in Changmin’s heart, he hadn’t heard that voice ever since he left, and now it’s back to haunt him. Changmin tries to run after her, but the girl is nowhere to be seen. Changmin sighs and goes back into his apartment.

The next day Sally gets onto the elevator just a little bit after 12:00. A hooded girl wait just out of sight close to the exit of the elevator a glint of sliver shining reflects off the morning rays. Sally stares boredly at the changing numbers on the wall of the elevator, the familiar ding, signaling her arrival. The hooded girl’s hand tightens around the object in her hand, her legs reading themselves to rush forward when she sees her target. When she sees the girl she is looking for she raises her hand as she rushes forward but she is suddenly pull back and sees Changmin holding her back, she is so startled that she drops the knife in her hand.

“What do you think you are doing?” He yells.

“I…  I…” The girl stuttered

“What are you trying to do???” Changmin yells again.

“I’m just trying to get rid the girl who is bothering you!” The girl yells back.

“You are being unnecessary, you are the one who is a bother, and I am not even going to pretend that you aren’t bothered me for so many years before this, but this…” Changmin says and he bends down and picks up the knife. “Why is it necessary to involve people who are not part of this?”

“She is!!! She has nothing to do with you, yet she comes here every other day.”

“You don’t understand.” Changmin says as he wipes away the sweat on his face. “I would be nothing without her.” Changmin sighs as he looks away. “Leave.”

“But… Oo...Oppa.”

“Leave before I call the cops.”

The girl looks shell shocked for a few moments before she turn to leave, after a few steps her steps slow as she turns around.

“Don’t even try to do it again.” Changmin seethes. “Next time there wouldn’t be a warning.”

The girl picks up her pace and disappears down into the emergency stairway.

Changmin picks up the knife and dumps it in a nearby bin and walks back to his apartment. He brushes the dust off his clothes before opening the door.

“Changmin?” Sally’s voice comes out from somewhere in his house.

“Yeah?”

“Where did you go?” She asks as she comes out of the kitchen.

“Um… I just went out for a short walk…” He says as he joins her.

“Well the food is getting cold.” Sally smiles which Changmin returns as the two go back into the kitchen.