Chapter 3

On Sunny Days

It started out like a normal day, Kyungsoo was scheduled for a couple of scenes in a new drama, but he was free for the evening where he made plans with Sally to go to a new restaurant that had opened and gaining popularity. It was during a short break between scenes when his phone rang, it surprised him to see Jae Joong’s picture on his phone’s screen but he picked it up quickly.

“Hello?” Kyungsoo answers carefully.

“Hey, are you busy right now?”

“Well I’m on a break, what’s going on?”

“I have a question to ask you.”

“Go ahead.” Kyungsoo replies slowly, curious about the serious words from his usually cheerful senior.

“I just need to know if you are serious about Sally.”

This question takes Kyungsoo by surprise, although he has thought about this before, he did not expect a confrontation from Jae Joong. Sensing Kyungsoo’s hesitancy, Jae Joong’s tone relaxes a bit.

“Just be honest, I just need to know. Are you serious about her?”

“Of course.”

“Then I am telling this because I would like to see you succeed, but Sally’s Ex has come back in town. He has caused nothing but trouble, so I need you to pay extra attention. I don’t want Sally to go through that again.”

Kyungsoo wanted to ask him more about what happened, but he was then called to do his next scene. So he quickly excused himself, despite his urge to ask more.

Later that night Kyungsoo was waiting in his car at the waiting place where he was supposed to meet Sally. He was still thinking about what could have happened when there was a knock on the window. He looks at and sees Sally smiling. He unlocked the door and Sally opens the door and gets in.

“I can’t wait to try the new restaurant; I heard they have some great desserts.” Sally says excitedly, surprising Kyungsoo; he was expecting a different response judging from Jae Joong’s warning, but she was exactly how she normally is.

“Yeah… I heard they have this potato dish that is pretty good.” Kyungsoo replies as he starts the car, maybe Jae Joong was just worrying too much…

They arrive at the restaurant, there seems to be an event going on but luckily Kyungsoo had booked a private room. It seems like there is some party involving some celebrity, but the two of them were solely focused on the food, trying the different dishes. By the end of the meal, the two were satisfied and Kyungsoo was convinced that nothing was wrong. They go out of the room, getting ready to pay the bill when Sally suddenly stops in her tracks, her words melting off her lips.

“Changmin?”

Kyungsoo looks up to see his senior in his company looking slightly ashen.

“Sally?”

Kyungsoo looks between the two with big eyes, “Hyung, do you two know each other?”

“Yeah… We were- “

“Let’s go…” Changmin was cut off by Sally who grabbed Kyungsoo’s arm, pulling him towards the door.

“Seriously Sally? Is that how you going to be?” Changmin says as Sally dragged Kyungsoo away.

Kyungsoo was extremely confused until he sees the tears forming in Sally’s eyes. Jae Joong’s words ringing in his ears. Sally got into the car in silence and remained in silence the whole drive home. Kyungsoo drove her back home, how was he supposed to act? He didn’t even know the story. Thankfully, Jae Joong seemed to have guessed what happened as he was waiting for them when they arrived. Sally throws herself into his arms as soon as she sees him. Without a word, Jae Joong helped Sally to her room before quietly closing the door and going back to the Kitchen where Kyungsoo was still waiting.

“I am guess now would be a good time to tell you. It all began about a year ago…”

-

Changmin was late again.

Sally stood sat down on the park bench where she was supposed to meet her boyfriend of two years, Changmin. In many ways Changmin was a good boyfriend but, recently something was going on and Sally could feel it. He was so difficult to get a hold of, and never returned her calls, or if he did, it was always brief and when they were able to meet up, he would be distracted or sometimes he wouldn’t even show up and would apologize hours later claiming that something had come up, but never gave any detail. It’s not as if Sally wouldn’t understand; she knew that he was busy, but sometimes it felt as if he doesn’t even want to be together anymore. Sally glanced at her phone, Changmin was over an hour late with no call or message, Sally started to type a message when drops of rain started to fall.

“Seriously? Rain?”

The few drops of rain suddenly turned into a full on downpour. The combination of the rain with this so called ‘relationship’ was just too much; she was over this, especially Changmin. Sally doesn’t even know wither the water on her face was rain or tears. She was completely soaked as she turned around and proceeded to walk towards the exit when she was pulled backwards. Changmin stood there, equally drenched, his eyes roam Sally’s face as he pulls her into his arms.

“Are you serious?” Sally says as she firmly pushes Changmin away, she looks up but looks away when she sees the hurt expression on his face.

“I think we should take a break.” She says trying her best to keep her voice stable.

“No…” He says softly, “No, please…”

“Then tell what you want!” Sally yells, finally fed up.

“I want you to marry me!”

“What?” Sally says, taken aback as Changmin gets onto both his knees.

“Marry me.”

-

“Changmin then brought her to a jewelry store, still soaking wet may I add, and Sally came back with a ring on her finger.” Jae Joong pauses as he grabs a glass of water.

Kyungsoo looks confused, “what does this have to do with what is happening now?”

Jae Joong rolls his eyes, “there is more, of course, things were fine and dandy until about a month later after Sally came back from a date with Changmin. She came back and literally stormed to her bedroom and locked herself in there. I had to get Tiffany here, before Sally would even talk to anyone of us, but even then she didn’t say anything really, but we knew something was up and it wasn’t until Tiffany spotted that Sally no longer had a ring, we knew it was serious. When we asked what happened to it all she said was that she had returned it to Changmin and no matter how hard we tried, we couldn’t get any other information. I even tried contacting Changmin but I couldn’t reach him either. Sally acted like everything was normal, but we could all tell something about that day changed something inside her.”

Jae Joong pauses, letting the information sink in. “You know what I don’t understand the most? Why would Sally have agreed to marry him in the first place if she was even contemplating giving up?”

Kyungsoo nods, deep in thought, “She has a good head on her shoulder, I wonder why…”

“I asked Tiffany, thinking maybe it was a girl thing or something, but all Tiffany could come up with is that some things can’t be explained.”

“After the engagement broke off, Changmin left overseas for a long time and I heard today that he is back in town. I didn’t think the two of them would bump into each other so soon. But Kyungsoo, if you really care about Sally, you really need to keep your eye on that guy, he isn’t good news.”