Chapter Four

Under the Blue Umbrella
Please log in to read the full chapter

Jinyoung sat on his bed about to start his homework when the doorbell rang. He sighed, feeling a bit lazy to get up. The bell rang many times and Iseul got up to get the door.

 

“Iseul!” Jinyoung yelled. “Didn’t I always tell you? I only get the door, not you, ok?”

 

“O-Ok brother…” Iseul said, silently going back to playing on Jinyoung’s phone. The ringing annoyed Jinyoung and he swung the door open in irritation. Jaebum stood next to the grumpy kid from the daycare. He looked pissed off himself too.

 

“W-Why are you here?” Jinyoung stuttered. The kid next to Jaebum glared at him and crossed his arms.

 

“We-” The kid started but Jaebum interrupted him.

 

“I needed some help with the homework…” Jaebum said and looked somewhere other than Jinyoung’s eyes nervously. Jaebum had not act like this in front of Jinyoung before and Jinyoung felt special. Just like he was seeing a different side of Jaebum.

 

“Oh, sure. Come in.” Jinyoung smiled and opened the door wide. When they had came in, Jinyoung shut the door and followed behind Jaebum’s strong figure. He felt nervous as they went to the small living room connected to the dining room.

 

“I’ll go and get my homework.” Jinyoung told Jaebum as they sat on the couch. Iseul came out and saw the guests.

 

“Who are they?”

 

“Oh, Jaebum’s my classmate and that’s his nephew, right?” Jinyoung turned to Jaebum for confirmation.

 

“Yes, this is Wook.” Jaebum told Iseul. Jinyoung quickly went inside his bedroom and grabbed his homework. He didn’t want to ask why Jaebum had came without telling him. It was a normal thing between friends, right? He needed help so of course he would come to Jinyoung for it.

 

When Jinyoung came out, he saw Iseul and Wook playing with each other with Jaebum watching them carefully.

 

He looks like a father from this view…

 

Jinyoung smiled and watched Jaebum pull back Wook who was climbing the couch. Jaebum looked up and saw Jinyoung, which made Jinyoung pull himself back to reality and continued walking. He had hoped that Jaebum hadn’t seen the look in his eyes… Especially if he was straight, he wouldn’t want a gay man to like him nor get involved in his personal problems.

 

“Let’s get started.” Jinyoung said and set his things on the dining table where the two kids wouldn’t be at. Jaebum came over and set his backpack down, retrieving the textbook.

 

“So,” Jinyoung started, trying to make up conversation while they set their supplies out. “Why did you bring Wook here?”

 

“He’s staying over for three days at my place since my sister is on her anniversary with her husband.”

 

“Ah, I see.” Jinyoung nodded and they both sat down, getting started.


 

For the past hour, Jinyoung worked on his homework with Jaebum. It went much quicker than Jinyoung had expected because they were already at half of the four pages.

 

“This variable is suppose to be moved here, not there.” Jinyoung explained and leaned in closer to erase the equation. “That’s why you got seventy-five and not forty-two.”

 

Jinyoung didn’t realized he was too close to Jaebum until the tinted smell of cologne hit him. He swing back, startling Jaebum.

 

“O-Oh, uh.” Jinyoung stammered and tried to think of something to say. His face grew red as Jaebum looked at him in confusion. “I-I’m pretty hungry and you probably are too. Let me get us something to snack on and maybe the kids too.”

 

Jinyoung stood up, the chair screeching under him, and was about to leave when Jaebum grabbed his arm. The place where Jaebum held started to grow hot, having Jinyoung’s heart beat out of place. He turned around and looked at the place where Jaebum clutched.

 

“Sorry…” Jaebum let go and picked up his pencil. His cheeks were a tad pink which made Jinyoung blush too.

 

Why are his cheeks pink?

 

Jinyoung entered the cramped kitchen and opened the drawer full of snacks. He squat down to search for good ones while peeking at Jaebum.

 

Does he...like me…?

 

Jinyoung lightly smacked his head against the drawer and stood up, bringing pop-tarts with him.

 

Don’t overthink it, stupid! It was nothing. The room is pretty hot so it could be from that too.

 

As Jinyoung entered the small dining room, he the fan. He saw the two kids rush towards the dinosaurs and Wook took the largest one, making Iseul pout.

 

“Kids!” Jinyoung called towards the two chil

Please log in to read the full chapter