Chapter One

Under the Blue Umbrella
Please log in to read the full chapter

Jinyoung closed the thick book and pulled out his library card.

 

“Sorry,” He in air with an apologetic face and handed the card to the librarian. “Here you go.”

 

“No problem.” The quiet old lady answered and scanned it before giving it back to Jinyoung.

 

“Iseul is so going to love this book.” Jinyoung muttered happily under his breath as he took the book after it was scanned.

 

The Marvels by Brian Selznick, one of Iseul’s favorite artists and authors. As he walked towards the doors, two girls came inside drenched.

 

“Oh my god,” The short one exclaimed and took her jacket off, “It’s raining outside!”

 

“Ugh, I can’t believe it.” The taller one rolled her eyes as they walked past Jinyoung. “How are we going to carry books back home now?”

 

“I don’t know.” The voice sounded far away as Jinyoung pushed open the library doors. Wind rushes past his cheeks as he walks out with the book under his hoodie. The rain wasn’t too harsh for Jinyoung but enough to make him shiver feeling numb.

 

When Jinyoung arrived to his apartment door, he pulled his keys out from the pocket of his hoodie and stuck them in the keyhole. He opened the door and closed it behind him, taking off his wet shoes.

 

“I should’ve checked the weather this morning.” Jinyoung sighed and took off his wet hoodie, the cold air hitting his skin.

 

I should’ve worn a shirt underneath too.

 

Jinyoung glanced at the clock, realizing that it was too early to pick up Iseul, his four year old brother, from day care. He dropped the rest of the mail at the dining table but an address caught his eye. Especially the name: Jackson Wang.

 

“He’s still sending money…?” Jinyoung sighed and ripped open the thick envelope. Jackson Wang was Jinyoung’s boyfriend for a few months until Jinyoung’s parents died, leading Jinyoung with only his brother and life insurance to take care of. This resulted in many fights between them and an unforgettable day. Even though they have both went their separate ways, Jackson still hands over money to Jinyoung even though Jinyoung says he doesn’t need it when in truth, he actually does.

 

Jinyoung held the money tightly in his hand, knowing that the amount was eight hundred dollars. Jackson always sent this much amount, unless he was feeling generous, one thousand would be in Jinyoung’s hand. Jinyoung felt guilty even though he had not asked for the money. What would his parents think? Accepting money so selfishly.

 

Feeling tired, Jinyoung walked to his bedroom and pulled out a box from the top of his closet. He set the money in with the other hundreds and set it back to it’s place in the closet. After that, Jinyoung randomly yanked a shirt off and wore it so when he went to take a rest, he wouldn’t be left freezing.

 

Just a twenty minute rest should be okay…

 

Jinyoung dropped himself on his bed cuddled up under his blanket.


 

A loud sound awoke Jinyoung from his sleep and he looked around his room.

 

Please log in to read the full chapter