07; In The Dark

The Power of Love

07. 

 

 


 

The last thing that Soah saw before she lost her consciousness was the anxiousness etched in Daehyun’s expression. The last thing she felt was the steady beat of the energy that thrived in her, like a second heart beat.

 

But now, she couldn’t feel anything. Soah’s eyelids slowly fluttered open and she took in her surroundings.

 

She took in the brown textured walls, the bookshelf that was lined with books, a large painting hung up on the wall and the small armchair that was placed beside the painting. It was definitely not her dormitory.

 

She glanced down and realized that she was laying on a king sized bed, covered with a thick grey blanket.

 

She shifted her hands onto the bed, beside her waist, and tried to push herself up into a sitting position. But she couldn’t summon up any strength at all.

 

“Wow, easy there, you’re not supposed to be moving yet.”

 

Youngjae appeared at her side out of nowhere, sitting down beside her on the bed.

 

“Where am I?” Soah asked. Only when she started to speak that she realized that was hoarse and she sounded like a frog.

 

“You’re in Daehyun’s bed.”

 

Before Soah could even react to that, a loud voice stopped her.

 

“Bull! Don’t tell me it was purely an accident. , Sam, you promised not to lay a ing finger on her.”

 

Daehyun? Soah’s eyebrows knitted together in confusion. Why is he so angry?

 

“What’s happening?” Soah’s eyes darted to Youngjae, meeting his eyes. Youngjae glanced away, a frown forming on his lips.

 

“You do not assume that she’s able to heal like the rest of us and decide that it’s okay to hurl her across the ing room. She has broken ribs and her right leg got dislocated, Sam. That’s your damn definition of not laying a finger on her?” Daehyun bellowed.

 

From the faint thump of the energy Soah felt whenever she was near Daehyun, she could tell that he was nowhere near her. But his voice was loud and clear. So that means he’s shouting at the top of his lungs and he was very, very mad.

 

Soah waited for the next minute for Daehyun’s voice again but there was nothing other than silence. Youngjae was just looking at her silently.

 

“Youngjae, what’s happening?”

 

Youngjae could sense the dread and fear lined in her voice.

 

“I’m sorry, Soah. But I think it’s better if you get to hear it from Daehyun.”

 

Youngjae got up from the bed but he turned to glance at Soah for one more time before walking out of the room.

 

“Get well soon, Soah.” was all that he said before leaving.

 

Soah watched as his back view became smaller and eventually it disappeared as Youngjae exited the room.

 

Soah took a second glance downwards, only to finally realize that her right leg was in a cast. She lifted up the blanket, taking a look at her chest. Her entire abdomen was wrapped up in white bandages, probably the reason why she couldn’t summon up any strength.

 

She sighed and lowered her head back down onto the pillow, glancing up at the ceiling.

 

 

 

At the same time, in another part of Daehyun’s mansion, a figure stood in the dark with his hands tucked into his pockets.

 

“How are you holding up?”

 

The figure shrugged, walking out of the dark to meet the person who was talking to him. “I’m fine.”

 

“Daehyun, I’m your parabatai. You can’t fool me.”

 

Daehyun sighed, Youngjae was right. He can’t fool him.

 

“I can’t tell her what really happened back there at the ceremony, Youngjae. You know why.” Daehyun said softly as he plopped down the couch that was in his room.

 

///

 

Daehyun watched as Sam sprinkled the concoction onto Soah, it was a liquid that will put her to sleep and from there, Sam would perform a ritual that will enable Soah’s fate to be seen by everyone in the room.

 

Daehyun was perched on the edge of his seat, hoping that nothing would go wrong. Right at that moment, images began floating out of Soah’s body and into the air.

 

For her first identity, a Vampire, they saw images of her fitting into the Vampire community perfectly although she was different. Her heart was still beating and she could go under the sun unharmed. But she was welcomed and accepted by the community eventually.

 

Daehyun felt himself relax upon the discovery of her fate as a Vampire.

 

For her second identity, a Fey, all men out there wanted her. She was seductive, charismatic and alluring.

 

Daehyun felt jealousy brewing in him and he frowned. Get your hands off her. He thought as he saw images of her being too close with some other man, who was not him.

 

Argh, let’s move on to the last one already. Daehyun thought as he rolled his eyes, clearly getting impatient.

 

For her last identity, a Soulmate, they saw images of her smiling happily and blissfully. Another image appeared next, showing her holding a baby boy in her arms, smiling happily at the camera. The next image appeared and she was having fun at the beach, along with the boy who was once a tiny baby and a girl, who seemed to be only a year or two younger than the boy.

 

The next one appeared and in that picture Daehyun was hugging her from behind and his hands were covering Soah’s hands, which were placed on Soah’s belly. She’s pregnant. Daehyun thought as he stared at the picture. Am I the father?

 

Daehyun glanced up at his face. He was smiling widely, revealing his perfectly lined set of teeth. He has never recalled smiling or being that happy before.

 

Daehyun was still in shock when the next image appeared. This image showed the both of them cuddling in bed. Daehyun’s arm was wrapped around Soah’s petite body, holding her close to him, and he was planting a kiss on her forehead.

 

Gasps were heard throughout the entire room. Daehyun felt himself stiffened. He finally got it.

 

Soah was his soulmate, and vice versa. That was why he felt that strong energy and attraction whenever Soah was near him. That was why he felt the urge to protect her and to care for her.

 

Everything was crystal clear to him now. And from all the murmurs that were heard in the room, it seems like all the other Vampires in the community had it all figured out too.

 

///

 

“Why can’t you tell her?” Youngjae’s voice broke Daehyun out of his trance, where memories of yesterday were replaying in his head.

 

“Did you not witness Sam’s reaction? He threw her across the room.” He emphasized, gesturing with his hand. “So if she gets to know about this, things may work out exactly the way we saw it yesterday night. That’s why, to the community, she’s a threat, because she will distract me and they are rooting for war. Love will make one weak and I can’t afford to be weak when I’ve great plans.”

 

“Great plans?” Youngjae repeated snidely.

 

Daehyun ignored the traces of menace that was present in Youngjae’s voice.

 

“You know that it’s necessary, Youngjae. After everything that they have done to me, they deserve this.” Daehyun said darkly.

 

Youngjae let out a soft sigh. “I know what they’ve done to you. I felt the pain too, I’m your parabatai, remember? But everyone makes mistakes, Daehyun, and they are no exception.”

 

“So what do you want me to do!? To forgive them? After I’ve watched them murder my parents and my sister before my own eyes?”

 

Daehyun was clearly turning hostile at this point and Youngjae knew that it was time for him to back down. It was impossible for him to convince Daehyun to put a stop to his plans. Only Soah could do that.

 

But the problem was, things were not supposed to work out this way. Yes, he had a Fate alter the ending for Daehyun and Soah, but any shift in decisions made by anyone whose Fate was interlinked with theirs, could undo it.

 

Clearly, a big piece of puzzle had shifted, disrupting the entire picture. Someone must have known the things that Youngjae did secretly because nothing would have changed if nobody found out.

 

Someone had it all figured it out and this person was out to make sure that things did not turn out the way that Youngjae wanted them to. 

 


 

 

AUTHOR'S NOTE: 

If you've read The Mortal Instruments written by Cassandra Clare, you would have recognized the word 'parabatai'. I've adopted the idea and woven it into my story because I thought that it was a cool idea. However, it's a litte different in the context of my story. 

"Parabatai is a pair of Nephilim warriors who fight together as lifelong partners, bound together by oath, regardless of their gender. Their bond is not reflected only in their closeness and willingness to lay down their lives for one another, but also in oath—one sworn in front of the Council"

This is the definition of parabatais in The Mortal Instruments. I've only extracted out the idea of parabatais being warriors who fight together as lifelong partners and included it in my story. Hope that y'all will like it!