Chapter 12

It Happened In New York

Nahla's palms were sweating, her heart was beating faster and louder with each beat. There she was, in the backseat of a cab on the way to Choi Seung Hyun's house. Camilla advised her not to go and Nahla was beginning to think that maybe she should have listened to Camilla. She exhaled loudly, causing the cab driver to glance in his rear view mirror, giving Nahla an odd look. Nahla was too anxious to notice the cab driver's odd look and she didn't care if he thought she was strange.
It wasn't long before she was standing in front of a mansion that was concealed by high walls and a large front gate. Her heart was beating so fast that at that moment, she felt as though she would faint. She heard the cab drive off as she was still standing in front of the gate, contemplating whether she should take off while she can and make up some excuse.

"Nahla is here!" Morgan shouted excitedly as she glanced at the security footage. No one had arrived yet and as usual, she would follow Seung Hyun around and he would normally settle in his study. This is where he worked, rehearsed lines, checked his security cameras before he went to bed to make sure the house was safe. Although he loved Morgan being around, he couldn't get much work in because she followed him around as soon as he got home from work. His peace was gone but he didn't mind sacrificing it for the one he couldn't live without.
Morgan opened the front gate with the push of one button and rushed downstairs to welcome her guest. Nahla was just about to make a run for it when the gate had been opened for her.

"." She mumbled to herself. It was a long walk to the actual house, this gave Nahla some time to reassure herself that everyone would be fine. When Nahla eventually got to the door, it wildly swung open and behind it was a very enthusiastic Morgan who rushed to hug Nahla.

"So good to see you." Morgan exclaimed. Nahla tried her best to smile but it wasn't her best at all. She wasn't happy being there, she wanted to run away as fast as she could.

"Come in." Morgan took Nahla by the hand and led her into the house. Morgan took Nahla on a tour of the house, it was just as Nahla expected, clean, neat, sophisticated and full of books in every room. The house had the air and presence of Seung Hyun, if he had to be a house, it would look just like this. Morgan took Nahla back downstairs and a few guests have arrived. Nahla wondered where Seung Hyun would be, they took a tour of the entire house and he wasn't in any one of the rooms.

"Nahla, I'm on hostess duty." Nahla nodded and understood Morgan had to welcome her guests.

"There's a library down the hall. Make yourself at home." Morgan left Nahla at the bottom of the staircase to attend to her guests. Nahla made her way to the library down the hall. She walked slowly and quietly and when she got to the door, it was partially opened. She opened it with caution. She walked in and found a room filled with built in bookshelves on each wall. It was filled with books right to the top of the shelves and it was organized in alphabetical order. Nahla felt so at home, peaceful and ecstatic to be in that room. She wouldn't mind staying here for the entire party. She saw the mahogany desk that smelled as if it had just been polished with a huge leather chair that had it's back turned to her while it faced the window that had the a view of the garden. She looked to her side and found a fire place with two comfy sofas in front of it. Nahla stood for a moment in awe. She walked to the bookshelf nearest to the window and started exploring the books that were on the shelf. One book had caught her eye, it was one of her favorites. She reached up for it and took it out of it's place. She stared at the cover, it was the same special edition that she had.

"Gone With The Wind." She whispered as she ran her fingers on the front cover and smirked.

"Not manly enough for you?" Nahla jumped in shock and turned around to see Seung Hyun in the leather chair that was facing the window but now turned to face her.

"I'm so sorry. I didn't know you were here." Nahla felt horrible knowing she shouldn't have been there.

"Your fascination for books fascinate me Nahla." Seung Hyun stood up and walked towards her. It was hard to contain all she felt for him, he was so amazingly handsome, from the way he walked to the elegance in his voice. 
Nahla kept quiet.

"You read this one yet?" Seung Hyun pointed to the book in her hand. She nodded.

"It's a great novel and a great movie too. I watched it with Morgan the other night but I think she was extremely bored because she fell asleep." Nahla watched as his hand went into his pocket and it stayed there.

"You're awfully quiet." Seung Hyun moved closer, intimidating Nahla even more.

"No, I'm just extremely hungover. I had a rough night." Nahla came up with a lie that was foolproof.

"I didn't imagine you to be the 'hungover' type." 

"I'm not, I just decided to let loose last night." Nahla forced a smile.

"Something to drink?" Nahla shook her head. 

"Have you read Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov?" Nahla shook her head again.
Seung Hyun reached for the book and took it out of the shelf.

"Here. Tell me what you think of it when you're done." He handed her the book, she gently took it and looked at the cover. She didn't want to take it but curiosity got the better of her and she read the foreword.

"Sounds like my type of novel." Nahla lightened up not only on her face but in her voice too.

"I knew you would." He smiled.

Seung Hyun carried on talking while Nahla listened. They spoke mostly about books and about Fate until Seung Hyun's agent walked into the library.

"This is my agent, Daniel. Daniel this is Nahla." Nahla shook Daniel's hand and her attention went back to Seung Hyun.

"We need to talk." Daniel's voice sounded dangerous, serious and afraid. He glanced at Nahla and back at Seung Hyun as though telling him she needed to leave.

"We can talk here." Seung Hyun walked to his chair and seated himself. Daniel looked annoyed but continued to talk anyway.

"Your contract for the next season of Fate is still being negotiated. I don't know what's the hold up."

"So what's the big deal?" Nahla was pretending to be looking at the full bookshelves but her attention was with the conversation Seung Hyun and Daniel were having.

"That's not good Seung Hyun. That means they're still thinking about including you in the next season."

"There's no show without my character!" Seung Hyun didn't raise his voice but he was stern.

"Your character may be important but you aren't in the good books of a lot of people since you went public with Morgan. There's a possibility that they might replace you or write your character off." Daniel tried reasoning but Seung Hyun was clearly upset.

"It's not looking good."

"So what do I do now? Does that mean I'm out of work for the next six months?!"

"I suggest you lay low for a while. Don't be out there too much, in the meantime I'm going to try to get your contract renewed."
Seung Hyun ran his fingers through his hair in frustration.

"There's absolutely nothing I can do." With those final words. Daniel left the room, leaving Nahla and Seung Hyun alone in silence.

"I'm so sorry." Nahla strolled towards the table.

"No need to be. I'm the one that screwed up."

"Look, I'm no expert but there'll be plenty of other characters you could take up. Remember the last movie you did? You played that role greatly. Don't give up just yet, you just might get your contract renewed." Although Nahla shouldn't be the one giving him a pep talk, she decided to be the better person and do it anyway...