Chapter 11

It Happened In New York

The dinner was a complete disaster, when Nahla arrived at the restaurant, it struck a light bulb in her mind. She and Camilla arrived and saw a table set for three couples. Taeyang had planned a couples dinner with him, Nahla and his married friends. Nahla felt so bad that she had invited Camilla along and she felt even worse by agreeing to go to this dinner in the first place! But thankfully, like most things, they don't last long. Nahla planned to discuss the whole Morgan saga with Camilla over dinner but they didn't get a chance to. Taeyang ignored Camilla the entire night, pretending as if she wasn't there. Nahla decided she'll tell Camilla when they're alone in her apartment.

"So, I actually have something to tell you. I would have told you earlier but I feel it's better in person." Nahla said as she took off her shoes in the corridor of her apartment. Camilla rushed to the sofa and lounged on it, waiting for Nahla to join her.

"It's not like you could have told me at the restaurant. Taeyang kept your attention the entire night." Camilla rolled her eyes when Nahla wasn't looking.

"Well we did kind of ruin his plans." Nahla felt so guilty about it that she felt obliged to make up for it.

"So what? He could have said no when you asked him if I could come along." 

"Anyway." Nahla wanted to change the subject as quick as possible because she still felt awful about ruining Taeyang's plans.

"Morgan called today." She said as she approached the couch. Nahla didn't say any more until she saw the expression on Camilla's face, which turned from happy to aggravated in a matter of seconds.

"What does the tramp want? Her job back?" Camilla said with so much of sarcasm.

"No." Nahla joined Camilla on the sofa, with so much of relief that the night is over.

"She called to invite me to a house warming party. She moved in with Seung Hyun." Camilla instantly picked up the disappointment in Nahla's voice but chose not to mention it.
She always knew Nahla was way more sensitive than she let on and sometimes Camilla was a bit harsh about Nahla's sensitivity but this time she let it go and allowed Nahla to just be.

"Are you going to go?"

"She begged me to come. It kind of sounded like I'm the only person she invited and the rest of the guests were invited by Seung Hyun."

"Don't go. You shouldn't bother with the two bit backstabbing ." 

"I would love not to go but I already said yes and if I don't go, I'll never hear the end of it." Deep down, Nahla wanted to go. She wanted to see Seung Hyun for the last time.

"Fine Nahla. Go but I'm warning you, Morgan is trouble." Nahla didn't want to hear those words but deep down she knew they were so true.

"It's just a party. It's not a big deal." Nahla defended her decision.

"I know but we all know how Morgan can manipulate people. Just be careful that's all." Nahla knew Camilla was just trying to look out for her and so she gave her a warm smile.

"Are you nervous at all to see Seung Hyun again?" Camilla asked after some silence. This question took Nahla off guard, she hasn't even thought about how she would handle the situation.

"I wouldn't say I'm nervous but I just don't want it to be awkward or anything like that." 

"You know, the way you handled this entire thing with Seung Hyun and Morgan, I must admit that you handled it like a lady, very classy." Camilla's eyes softened towards Nahla. She rarely admitted it but despite Nahla's sensitivity, she had the guts of a nineteen year old boy that was at his peak.

"There's nothing to it. He wasn't mine to begin with and he never will be." Nahla assured Camilla that she was okay with a weak smile.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

"Babe, I invited Nahla to the party this weekend." Morgan pranced into Seung Hyun's office. He lifted his head gently as he saw the love of his life. The woman that swept him off his feet.

"No problem. Anything for you." He stood up from his chair and rushed over to Morgan to kiss her. 

"Wait, you never actually told me how you and Nahla met." Morgan paused.

"We met at a bookstore down town." Seung Hyun didn't want to talk about it. He turned away from Morgan and went back to his script on his office desk.

"You didn't have any feelings for her?" 

"No. That's crazy." He avoided eye contact with Morgan this time.

"Nahla makes the perfect friend. I guess that's what makes me attracted to her." Seung Hyun continued without looking at Morgan.

"Good, I would hate to have any competition." Morgan pranced out once more, leaving Seung Hyun alone. He couldn't explain it but he was nervous to see Nahla, he just hoped it wouldn't be awkward.