Chapter 10

It Happened In New York

"It's perfect." The words rang through Nahla's ear and it brought her back to the present. Nahla was called into the boutique that stocks her dresses. She was hungover as hell but she had no choice. She was told that she needed to start working on her Fall/Winter collection as summer was already on it's way and while she was there, one bride to be tried on one of Nahla's creations and loved it. The consultant thought it would be great if the bride could meet Nahla in person and not wanting to let the bride down, Nahla agreed. Nahla stared at how graceful the bride looked in the long sleeved beige dress that was covered in lace. 

"I'm glad you like it." Nahla smiled. This is what made her happy, brides wearing her creations on their special day. It wasn't just a dress. This dress symbolized the beginning of something new, a new life, a new way of living and when brides adorned Nahla's dresses, she couldn't be more happier that they chose her designs to start their new lives with. 

"I need to get going but it was absolutely wonderful meeting you. I wish you love and happiness." Nahla hugged the bride to be and made her way out of the boutique. 
Nahla strolled the empty sidewalk, thinking about the meeting she just had. She was happy she finally had something that would keep her so busy that she didn't have time to think of anything else. Designing for the seasons was a time consuming thing but Nahla was up for it. A smile brushed her face when the most brilliant idea popped into her head. She dialed Camilla immediately.

"Hello?"

"Hey Camilla, on a scale of one to ten how hungover are you?" Nahla teased.

"Surprisingly, I'm not hungover at all. I'm sure you must be feeling really ." Camilla joked.

"I was feeling horrible this morning." Nahla stopped walking and sat on the first bench she saw.

"Thank the heavens that Taeyang was there to save you." Camilla responded.

"Yeah it was really great of him to help. It's like he was meant to be there. It was..." Nahla went silent when she realized she was about to use the word she was avoiding.

"Fate?" 

"Yeah. Fate." Nahla tried her hardest to not let Camilla hear the drop in her voice.

"Anyway, Lucy called me in for a meeting and she asked me to start designing the collection for Fall and Winter."

"That's great Nahla!"

"It is and I thought it would be great if I could go to New York to get my designs done. And before you say anything and advise me not to go, just understand that for me, this will be my way of getting over what happened. Going there, getting hurt and frustrated will help me create a great collection. It's my inspiration." Nahla knew Camilla wouldn't understand but she explained anyway. It was more than just a collection, this was Nahla's feelings expressed through art and no one would understand. Nahla knew that designing this collection in New York would not only remind her of the great time she had with Seung Hyun but it will also remind her that she is much stronger than she thinks. All the hurt, anger and whatever else she felt, she would take it all and design spectacular wedding dresses.

"Okay Nahla but don't say I didn't warn you. Going there is going to make it worse."

"I don't expect you to understand but please just support me."

"I would say the same to you so maybe we should just agree to disagree." Nahla chuckled. Camilla would never not be feisty.

"The Taeyang hunk, when am I going to see him again? I can't believe you didn't tell me about him." Camilla asked after a short silence.

"He invited me out to dinner with his friends tonight and-"

"You don't feel like going?" It's like Camilla read Nahla's mind. After so many years of friendship, the two knew each other too well.

"It's not that, I just get the vibe that he's looking for something more than what I'm looking for." Nahla knew she could always be honest with Camilla, Camilla never judged her or gave her any bad advice.

"Well then just be upfront with him. What's the worst that could happen if you tell him that you aren't interested?"

"I could potentially miss out on a really great guy and that's why I'm so confused about it."

"Nahla, there's plenty of great guys out there. Trust me, you won't miss out on one great guy when there's millions in the world."

"Remember what you used to tell me in high school?" Camilla asked. Nahla's lips lifted into a weak smile. She does remember, she used to live by that motto.

"Fate will always find it's way to you." The both said in unison.

"I never thought I'd see the day to hear you say those words." Nahla laughed.

"You made me a believer in destiny."

"I was a weird person in high school." Nahla wanted to bury her head into her hands as she remembered the high school days.

"We both were." Camilla laughed.

"Listen, do you want to join us for dinner tonight?"

"I thought you didn't want to go?"

"I didn't but I just thought it wouldn't be so bad if you come with."

"I wouldn't say no but just confirm it with Taeyang first."

"Great, I'll give him a call now." With that, the two said their goodbyes and hung up.
Nahla was searching for Taeyang's number when her phone started ringing, she didn't recognize the number but she answered anyway.

"Hello?"

"Hi Nahla." Morgan's voice pierced through Nahla's receiver. Nahla felt as though her heart could stop. Nahla stopped in her tracks.

"I just called to invite you to our house warming party next weekend. Well technically it's Seung Hyun's house but you get it."

"What? You moved in with Seung Hyun already?!" Nahla's body went dead in shock.

"I thought you'd be happy for me." She said in vain.

"I-I-am. But Morgan, you only know the man for a few days." 

"Yes Nahla I'm in love, what's the point of waiting?"

"Morgan, this is me you're talking to. I know you. You don't love people."

"Like, love. Same thing."
Nahla had no response, it was like talking to a wall. Morgan just doesn't understand.

"Please come, I don't want to be alone all day with Seung Hyun's friends and family." Nahla let out a sigh.

"Alright. I'll be there."

"Thanks Nahla, I owe you one! Ciao!"
The call dropped and Nahla got up from the bench and continued to walk to her apartment building at her own pace. She didn't understand it but Seung Hyun didn't bother her anymore, neither did Morgan. She felt so much better knowing that her collection was waiting to be created, that was her solace and comfort now.